Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:55 PM

Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa (2354 Views)

Governor Udom Grants Amnesty To A 64-Year-Old Prisoner (Photos) / Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram, Northern Elders Tell Buhari / President, Governors Should Have Minimum Of University Degree - CONFAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: The islamization argument is nolonger the reason boko harem is asking as the basis for peace going by current affiars but amnesty.

Politicians are trying to redefine what Boko Haram stands for and thats a disgrace.

1 Like

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Ojiofor: 8:25pm On Mar 22, 2013
Desperate for amnesty make them use the money go Iran and Somalia for more training.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by kross01(m): 8:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
To think some people are actually talking about amnesty for boko haram is funny. Now lets consider the issues, MEND they said committed crimes against state & wia granted amnesty by the FG, now BH are committing crimes against humanity & you want same amnesty for them? How is blowing up pipelines & blowing up people in churches & bus terminals the same case? Well grant amnesty to them no qualms but that definitely is just but a temporary solution, cos another group will surely rise up sooner or later

1 Like

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 8:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
thelastPope:

Can you show us any document or authentic news item where they announced a change of demands?
for sultan and some northern leaders with Tinubu and the house of reps calling for amnesty for boko harem, do you still think it entails total islamization of the country? Gej stills holds the final say on which method to engage.... Either amnesty or total crushing of boko harem.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by ikeyman00(m): 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
^^^^ sometimes i think its good to keep lipsrsealed

wat are talking about

maybe nigeria is a joke afterall
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by taharqa: 8:39pm On Mar 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: Let me narrate the story of identical crime
in Aba and how JTF and State Government
handled it.

1. The State Government declared
Amnesty and Rehabilitation for the
Kidnappers if they stop kidnapping and
surrender their arms

2. Most Kidnappers surrendered their
arms and was listed for the amnesty.

3. The Kingpin of the Kidnappers
(Osisikanku) with his group continued
and kidnapped a bus full of School
Children.

4. The State Govt. Cancelled the amnesty
and handed that list of Kidnappers to JTF.

5. The JTF printed contact phone numbers
and circulated them to the environs and
natives in suburbs and villages for
information on the way about and secret
locations/hideouts of these criminals.

6. The people responded actively by
calling the JTF and informing them of any
suspicious movements and hideouts of
these criminal.

7. Because the people responded
positively, there were relatively minimal
or no casualty in the operations of JTF

8. The JTF is still in Abia State and there is
relative peace and tranquillity in the State
and there are no reports of summary
execution of anybody in the State.

9. The only regret is the extortion and
sometimes harassment by members of JTF
on innocent citizens.

10. The JTF used the Amnesty list to fish
out and eradicate most of these criminal
by either arresting them or summary
execution in case of Gun battle.
You just reminded me of an extremely important point I had all but forgotten, Bros. For all d failings of Gov Orji he got d Security tin very very very right. Aba and Abia generali usd to be very notorious for violent crimes, esp Kidnapping but is now very 'cool'. Shld oda Govs and even d FG find out hw Abia and Abians did it and learn? In fact, all of us- Scholars, Security experts, Journalists etc, shld try to understudy and understand what happend...
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 8:42pm On Mar 22, 2013
mikeansy:

Politicians are trying to redefine what Boko Haram stands for and thats a disgrace.
that is the dilemma of the Nigerian suituation..... A power game between the powers that be while the masses are caught in the middle..... Enough of sacrificing innocent citizens and let there be an end to the spilling of blood. Amnesty or total elimination of the cancer called boko harem is welcomed by me.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
taharqa: You just reminded me of an extremely important point I had all but forgotten, Bros. For all d failings of Gov Orji he got d Security tin very very very right. Aba and Abia generali usd to be very notorious for violent crimes, esp Kidnapping but is now very 'cool'. Shld oda Govs and even d FG find out hw Abia and Abians did it and learn? In fact, all of us- Scholars, Security experts, Journalists etc, shld try to understudy and understand what happend...

It is no rocket science. Osisikankwu rose his head, abia people rejected him and not too long him and his group got rounded by army.

The only way to defeat terrorist in these days of insurgent campaigns is host communities must rise against terrorists.

Abia people rose againt osisiskankwu. The host communities in the North are not doing that!

1 Like

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: that is the dilemma of the Nigerian suituation..... A power game between the powers that be while the masses are caught in the middle..... Enough of sacrificing innocent citizens and let there be an end to the spilling of blood. Amnesty or total elimination of the cancer called boko harem is welcomed by me.

amnesty is unacceptable. its time to say to terrorists you can not outlast us, no innocent blood is being wasted. Those innocent people will only die for nothing if terrorists are paid for being terrorists in the name of amnesty,

enough is enough!

1 Like

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 8:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
mikeansy:

amnesty is unacceptable. its time to say to terrorists you can not outlast us
at what cost my brother? The feds have risked lots of innocent citizens in this unholy romance/war with boko harem. The colateral damages on innocents is getting way off the limits and there is a limit to which the human spirit can endure.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: at what cost my brother? The feds have risked lots of innocent citizens in this unholy romance/war with boko harem. The colateral damages on innocents is getting way off the limits and there is a limit to which the human spirit can endure.

the cost of paying off Boko Haram is a guarantee for another terror group emerging immediately after Boko Haram dissolves

If terrorism pays then there will always be a new terror group.

so we need to stay strong
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 9:09pm On Mar 22, 2013
mikeansy:

the cost of paying off Boko Haram is a guarantee for another terror group emerging immediately after Boko Haram dissolves

If terrorism pays then there will always be a new terror group.

so we need to stay strong

you get the drift bro........probably, boko harem felt the are already losing the plot hence decided to cash in on the portal opened by mend to down tools and get rewarded....but the methods used by these two different entities to arrive at amnesty is still debatable. Regardless, the signal is already there that crime pays in this country.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by thelastPope(m): 9:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: for sultan and some northern leaders with Tinubu and the house of reps calling for amnesty for boko harem, do you still think it entails total islamization of the country? Gej stills holds the final say on which method to engage.... Either amnesty or total crushing of boko harem.

This is where you completely lost me, walahi! Are you saying that the Sultan and tinubu are now the mouth piece or spoke persons of Boko Haram? If Boko Haram cannot come out to tell us their "new demands" then they should go hug a very big transformer. How do you want to negotiate through a proxy? If they then come out and deny that they were not a party to the agreement, how will you handle it and how will GEJ look to you and to the world?

That will be a very dumb thing to do. As far as we are concerned, they are ghosts!
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by thelastPope(m): 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2013
mikeansy:

Honestly, they are indicting themselves and giving themselves away so cheaply as closet supporters and sponsors of Boko Haram.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by thelastPope(m): 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: you get the drift bro........probably, boko harem felt the are already losing the plot hence decided to cash in on the portal opened by mend to down tools and get rewarded....but the methods used by these two different entities to arrive at amnesty is still debatable. Regardless, the signal is already there that crime pays in this country.

Hope you are not suggesting they be paid with oil money? Please pay them from the sales of onions and yams from their states. We dont have a problem with that, thank you.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
thelastPope:

This is where you completely lost me, walahi! Are you saying that the Sultan and tinubu are now the mouth piece or spoke persons of Boko Haram? If Boko Haram cannot come out to tell us their "new demands" then they should go hug a very big transformer. How do you want to negotiate through a proxy? If they then come out and deny that they were not a party to the agreement, how will you handle it and how will GEJ look to you and to the world?

That will be a very dumb thing to do. As far as we are concerned, they are ghosts!
i understand you..... It may yet take same route when jonathan with alams and other niger deltan sons were asked by yardua to first go talk to their people and broker the amnesty deal prior to the official annoucment. I remember alams worked tirelessly to get and convince the mend boys to accept the deal that tis in their own interest. Yardua could has unleashed the full instrument of state to crush them but he was a man of peace. God bless his gentle soul.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 9:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
Double post
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 9:39pm On Mar 22, 2013
thelastPope:

Hope you are not suggesting they be paid with oil money? Please pay them from the sales of onions and yams from their states. We dont have a problem with that, thank you.
how i wish the ogas in aso rock will reason with you.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by thelastPope(m): 10:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: i understand you..... It may yet take same route when jonathan with alams and other niger deltan sons were asked by yardua to first go talk to their people and broker the amnesty deal prior to the official annoucment. I remember alams worked tirelessly to get and convince the mend boys to accept the deal that tis in their own interest. Yardua could has unleashed the full instrument of state to crush them but he was a man of peace. God bless his gentle soul.

A little correction there. Yaradua did unleashed the full instrument of state but they failed. You cannot fight those boys in the creeks. They will beat you hands down anyday. Have you seen where people stay under water for hours? The JTF brought back a report that it was impossible to stop the militants. There were over a hundred different groups, well armed. A committee was setup to plan a new strategy and the committee which involved some ND elders and representatives of the defense ministry and other relevant ministries came up with the amnesty option. Yaradua rejected it and refused to sign it for about one year. Then the attacks continued and JTF kept chasing the boys around until the oil production fell to 700, 000 barrels per day, from about 2 million barrels per day. The economic team then warned Yaradua that the economy was going to collapse. He had no choice but to go back and sign the amnesty deal. Many of you dont know what transpired in that period. Yaradua didnt just wake up to declare amnesty. He didnt have a choice. It wasnt his idea and he didnt support it until there was a major crisis looming. The amnesty demand was not from the militants. They didnt want amnesty nor believed in it. Even after he signed it, it still took the intervention of GEJ and Alams for the boys to accept it. GEK and Alams had to personally go to the boys in the creeks to negotiate it.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by joseph1832(m): 10:37pm On Mar 22, 2013
thelastPope:

Bros, you didnt read my post well. I said I support it as long as they foot the bill and settle the BH boys from their purse. Its their monster they created. let them bare their cross!
I understand you very well! Even if they pay these morons from their pockets what about the innocent blood they shed! Surely the slaughtered, bombed and maimed deserve justice, don't you think so?
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by joseph1832(m): 10:46pm On Mar 22, 2013
Chubhie: bro which ever way you look at it, both Mend and Boko have commited a crime by declaring war against the state.....Mend was able to hit the very source of govt revenue before they could be granted amnesty....assuming Mend where only bombing citizens and kidnapping do you think the govt will even mind them? What does this tell you bout your govt? The govt is willing to sacrifice the blood of the masses to boko as long as nothing stops the flow of free money. If truely boko wants amnesty a change in plan will land them some. As a citizen, would you mind if using extreme force or granting amnesty returns peace to the land?
My good man, there's a difference between boko haram and MEND! Please do a thorough research, there modus operandi defer! But none the less I understand where your coming.

My question to you is what will happen to the victims? Don't you think they deserve justice?
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Dibiachukwu: 11:55pm On Mar 22, 2013
Just comparing BH with ND militants, is by itself very disgusting! A lot of people here have just exposed themselves as sympathisers of Boko Haram. I hope those people enjoy the fruits of their labor.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by nzechu(m): 12:14am On Mar 23, 2013
if they like they should give them amnesty or presidential pardon.my own is that 4 every such action they must compensate every person dt ws killed Ida by way of resurrectin them or compensating their families nd every church dt wasr burnt must be rebuilt be4 any amnesty is granted anybody . anytn less tan dis is tantamount to rewarding evil nd mark my words be ready to give amnesty or presidential pardon to EVERY subseqent group of such nature.....jambs. waec
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by ebor(m): 1:09am On Mar 23, 2013
kross_01: To think some people are actually talking about amnesty for boko haram is funny. Now lets consider the issues, MEND they said committed crimes against state & wia granted amnesty by the FG, now BH are committing crimes against humanity & you want same amnesty for them? How is blowing up pipelines & blowing up people in churches & bus terminals the same case? Well grant amnesty to them no qualms but that definitely is just but a temporary solution, cos another group will surely rise up sooner or later

in fact destroyed pipelines can be replaced but can the live BH have wasted ova d yrs be replaced...there's no logical n plausible basis for comparisn b/w MEND n BH
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Raxz(m): 2:47am On Mar 23, 2013
Those who are agitating amnesty for BH hv in their mind form day one as the strategy to share oil money up north. The greatest mistakes any government cn make is givn amnesty to BH, cuse de moment that is done, u will see many groups from different part of the country comitting cram against state and humanity all in the name of amnesty at the end. I personally i wouldn't mind if that cn fetch me some money.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 4:20am On Mar 23, 2013
joseph1832:
My good man, there's a difference between boko haram and MEND! Please do a thorough research, there modus operandi defer! But none the less I understand where your coming.

My question to you is what will happen to the victims? Don't you think they deserve justice?
May the soul of those innocents caught inbetween continue to cry out for justice cos methinks the state see them as colateral damages while boko harem saw them as easy targets to getting the attention they needed leading to amnesty. The best bet for the masses then was to leave the hot zones if possible cos the state couldnt guarantee their wellbeing. If we are to look at the Nation critically deviod of tribal,religious and subjective colourations,you see that the issue of justice is only but an illusion in this country.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 4:38am On Mar 23, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Just comparing BH with ND militants, is by itself very disgusting! A lot of people here have just exposed themselves as sympathisers of Boko Haram. I hope those people enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Iam for peace regardless of the methods taken to achieve that be it total elimination of the boko cancer or granting amnesty as long as it stops throwning the innocents under the bus. From this premise as a free and neuteral citizen, does it make me sympathtic to the boko ideology? Do you even know how much it cost the state to keep JTF on the streets? How many billions that have disappeared since the boko concept came on board? You let your emotions get the better of you while some politicians see it as a fat cash cow that they need to milk to the last kobo.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Chubhie: 4:55am On Mar 23, 2013
thelastPope:

A little correction there. Yaradua did unleashed the full instrument of state but they failed. You cannot fight those boys in the creeks. They will beat you hands down anyday. Have you seen where people stay under water for hours? The JTF brought back a report that it was impossible to stop the militants. There were over a hundred different groups, well armed. A committee was setup to plan a new strategy and the committee which involved some ND elders and representatives of the defense ministry and other relevant ministries came up with the amnesty option. Yaradua rejected it and refused to sign it for about one year. Then the attacks continued and JTF kept chasing the boys around until the oil production fell to 700, 000 barrels per day, from about 2 million barrels per day. The economic team then warned Yaradua that the economy was going to collapse. He had no choice but to go back and sign the amnesty deal. Many of you dont know what transpired in that period. Yaradua didnt just wake up to declare amnesty. He didnt have a choice. It wasnt his idea and he didnt support it until there was a major crisis looming. The amnesty demand was not from the militants. They didnt want amnesty nor believed in it. Even after he signed it, it still took the intervention of GEJ and Alams for the boys to accept it. GEK and Alams had to personally go to the boys in the creeks to negotiate it.
You call Mend freedom fighters.....now they have amnesty the problems they have been fighting have magically disappared? Take a critical review of the amnesty package granted them and see for yourself if tis not counter productive. You need to see how much it cost the state to maintain each of those freedom fighters. Boys were only fighting for their pockets cos thats the language the state understands. Please my good friend never equate crimminals to freedom fighters....... Our policy strategic makers have been poor in handling most matters of national security. What happens when a new guy gets to aso rock and decides to stop the billions spent on the militants like the fuel subsidy scam?
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 23, 2013
People are taking pains to distinguish between Boko Haram and ND Militants. Now this is very ridiculous! ND militants and their amnesty programme therefrom opened the flood gates on which Northern politicians are now demanding amnesty for the muderous group Boko Haram. Just as I argued when amnesty for ND millitants was being crafted . . . if Boko Haram gets paid off another even deadlier group will emerge and will also at some point want their own amnesty.

So long as terror pays? terrorists will always emerge!

The struggles and poverty you find in Bayelsa or PH; you can find in Sokoto or Maidugiri, you can also find those Lagos or Oyo just as there are very poor people in Abia or Enugu.

If anybody deserves an amnesty it is all law abiding Nigerians, that have been having it so bad. This business of paying only those who have temerity to raise arms against the State must stop.

Because since ND millitants were paid off, I know that there is still poverty in the ND and people are still suffering. Expecially the quiet and law abiding ones. So what was the point of the amnesty programme?
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 23, 2013
thelastPope:

The challenge the Government had is not about mastery of the creeks or under water speciality. The challenge was collateral damage and the danger of killing too many locals in order to defeat ND millitants. That was the issue and even the US Navy would have struggled with this issue. Do not confuse this as some kind of mastery of the art of warfare by ND boys.

That said, the premise of the amnesty programme was wrong. It is a Government programme that rewards violence and if it going on right now it needs to stop. What needs to happen is True Fedralism, let everyone control the resources in their region. What this means is Bayelsa and Rivers people will control the oil in the wells in mainland. But oil wells in the coast of guinea and the oceans around us will continue to remain the property of the Federal Government as no one can lay claim to that!

So I agree with previous poster that the amnesty programme solves nothing. The Amnesty programme is currently a welfare state for the violent! and that should be unacceptable in a sane society expecially when as we speak our country has no welfare state for the weak, the young, the sick or the old. We got it all twisted!
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by Dibiachukwu: 1:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
Chubhie: Iam for peace regardless of the methods taken to achieve that be it total elimination of the boko cancer or granting amnesty as long as it stops throwning the innocents under the bus. From this premise as a free and neuteral citizen, does it make me sympathtic to the boko ideology? Do you even know how much it cost the state to keep JTF on the streets? How many billions that have disappeared since the boko concept came on board? You let your emotions get the better of you while some politicians see it as a fat cash cow that they need to milk to the last kobo.
No emotions here mate. Bokoharam not equals to ND militants. All sins are bad but some sins are Worse than the other. Amnesty is a different issue, and my opinion On that is a capital NO.
Re: Northern Governors Should Ignore Jonathan And Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram-arewa by thelastPope(m): 2:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
Chubhie: You call Mend freedom fighters.....now they have amnesty the problems they have been fighting have magically disappared? Take a critical review of the amnesty package granted them and see for yourself if tis not counter productive. You need to see how much it cost the state to maintain each of those freedom fighters. Boys were only fighting for their pockets cos thats the language the state understands. Please my good friend never equate crimminals to freedom fighters....... Our policy strategic makers have been poor in handling most matters of national security. What happens when a new guy gets to aso rock and decides to stop the billions spent on the militants like the fuel subsidy scam?

Your comments continue to show that you don't have proper knowledge of ND situation. Those boys are not fighting for their pocket. There are a few that definitely are selfish, but most of those in Egbesu have sworn to defend their resources with their lives. For your information, their demands have not changed. That is why you see Asari Dokubo still talking and Edwin Clark still vocalising their demands. The militants never asked for amnesty. You keep getting it wrong. They were offered amnesty and had to be convinved to accept it. The only reason they are quiet is because they expect some of their demands will be met like the PIB. Not just because of meagre change they are collecting from government. They made a lot of money as militants, you have no clue. How do you think they acquired weapons?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich / 2015 Elections: Jonathan’ll Win Re-election, Says Primate Ayodele / Why Nigerians Need Buhari Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.