Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,870 members, 7,828,103 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41776 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:39am On Mar 24, 2013
obadiah777: I GUESS I STAND CORRECTED LMAO grin

Brah, the name probably means YAM POTTAGE but you know oyinbos always name themselves after anything. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Inoknowbook: 12:40am On Mar 24, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.

Achebe did not contribute tangible because he refused to join u and your tribes men (whatever that is)in robbing Nigeria dry. He did not contribute anything because he failed to take an award from people who have no interest in the good of the country, people bent on turning nigeria into somalia. He did not contribute anything because he felt that he could be more effective in bringing about change by harnessing the international goodwill that he had into a force for change. He did not contribute anything because he refused to come back and be killed like countless others. He did not contribute anything because he used his literary skills in change the perception others had about africans (including your tribesmen)

I hate the way you bloggers see everything and anything from a myopic tribal angle. A great man died and all you could do was to paint him bad in such a manner. Must everybody be in Nigeria to make a contribution towards her development? Do you know how much Achebe tried to use the goodwill he had towards effecting change in Nigeria? A principled man refused to accept an award from corrupt and evil men, and because of that you wrote him off as a nobody. Please next time reason with your brain(that is, if u have any)and not with your anus.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe was born, chose his path in life, develop personal ideology, enjoy it to the fullest before he took a bow to account to the Divine Intelligence. Jobless and tribalistic morons are here throwing missile just as they fight over Messi and Ronaldo style of play and salary while the duo spend it big. Africans and retrogressive mentality!

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 12:40am On Mar 24, 2013
@@@@@@@@

[size=28pt]why do oduduwa pretend that every oduduwa like awo [/size]?

nl oduduwa who do u lot think u are fooling?

bitter clans

there are millions of u bitter lots who disperse ur selfish and honourable awo

u lot think we dnt know that

hmm

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:41am On Mar 24, 2013
So, no Nigerian is on the 'Future African Leaders' list yet you dingbats are fighting over a dead man who's already 6ft under, yes? 160million of you and none of you made the list!

Thank God I'm not a Nigerian. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:42am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Olodo WAEC drop out, the topic is not about Yoruba people,its about ashebe.

Actually the topic is about yoruba people and their hate for igbos.

Perhaps if you had understood Achebe's last book, you would realise that he was merely stating the obvious. Igbos have not healed from their wounds. Maybe if all the tribe can understand that we all have wounds that are sour; then we can find a way to all heal and move forward.

But like a typical Yoruba, you call him a bigot and tribalist. FYI Awolowo invented tribalism and Soyinka cultism: both of which have hindered development in Nigeria. Achebe contributed to Nigeria's literary development, what have YoU contributed?

If you had any sense of diplomacy, you should know what Achebe meant to Igbos. What you should have been doing is sympathising with them on their lost: that would show that you care and what Achebe said about Yorubas hating Igbos is in the past but the fact that a yoruba opened this thread and yorubas are supporting him to ridicule Achebe, it renders Achebe's last book VALID in all ramifications.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 12:42am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Uncle, are you foolishly admitting that you goofed and you know not the difference between a singer and a writer? What's next? Sunny Ade get Nobel too.?

Egbon, leave comedy alone because you are lousy at it.
In Igbo culture we use to say that if an idiom or analogy is explained to a boy, the dowry paid on his mother is all in vain.
I was using a scenario where 2 face wins a grammy therefore someone concluded that hence he is better or bigger than icons like fela Kuti or Obey because they never won a grammy themselves. A simply analogy, you still don't get it? grin grin
Can you imagine myself belittling the achievement of Soyinka, just because he happens to come from another ethnic national than me. That wil make me a foolish human worthy of existence. Which exactly the mindset of most of you, that anything that doesn't come from out your village is rubbish and should be pulled down.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Kingslaw(m): 12:43am On Mar 24, 2013
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend: So, no Nigerian is on the 'Future African Leaders' list yet you dingbats are fighting over a dead man who's already 6ft under, yes? 160million of you and none of you made the list!

Where is the list of Future African leaders? It is not complete without a Nigerian in it. That is a false list if you asked, although, I haven't seen it.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tellwisdom: 12:44am On Mar 24, 2013
Chinua Achebe?? That good man??
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:45am On Mar 24, 2013
Apparently OP is just as doofos as they come, what you define as development? Development comes with broad knowledge and understanding. Prof. Achebe impacted the world with knowledge on Africa through his literature and writing, only if our leaders were less corrupt to develop on it. Smh @ such a thread

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by nairaman66(m): 12:45am On Mar 24, 2013
Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria?

Yes he did! Out rightly he refused to soil his hand in the God damned dirty politricks of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 12:45am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend: So, no Nigerian is on the 'Future African Leaders' list yet you dingbats are fighting over a dead man who's already 6ft under, yes? 160million of you and none of you made the list!

You better show that "dead man" some respect.

But I guess you being raised in Britain, you do not know much about the respect that should be given to an elder like Chinua Achebe.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

Brah, the name probably means YAM POTTAGE but you know oyinbos always name themselves after anything. cheesy cheesy cheesy
YEAH THOSE DAYUM HEATHENS. OYINBOS THAT IS grin SPEAKING OF ASHEBE WAS HE SEPERATED AT BIRTH FROM NELSON MANDELA ? THOSE TWO LOOK LIKE IDENTICAL TWINS
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:46am On Mar 24, 2013
Eziachi:
In Igbo culture we use to say that if an idiom or analogy is explained to a boy, the dowry paid on his mother is all in vain.
I was using a scenario where 2 face wins a grammy therefore someone concluded that hence he is better or bigger than icons like fela Kuti or Obey because they never won a grammy themselves. A simply analogy, you still don't get it? grin grin

GBAM...LOL cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:48am On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Where is the list of Future African leaders? It is not complete without a Nigerian in it. That is a false list if you asked, although, I haven't seen it.

Leave him alone, it's his type that has to depend on western opinions before it's real...
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 24, 2013
There was once a country.... Achebe, is a genius, is, because he lives forever. What a title to a book. There was once a country......

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 24, 2013
gbaky_floor:

Actually the topic is about yoruba people and their hate for igbos.

Perhaps if you had understood Achebe's last book, you would realise that he was merely stating the obvious. Igbos have not healed from their wounds. Maybe if all the tribe can understand that we all have wounds that are sour; then we can find a way to all heal and move forward.

But like a typical Yoruba, you call him a bigot and tribalist. FYI Awolowo invented tribalism and Soyinka cultism: both of which have hindered development in Nigeria. Achebe contributed to Nigeria's literary development , what have YoU contributed?

If you had any sense of diplomacy, you should know what Achebe meant to Igbos. What you should have been doing is sympathising with them on their lost: that would show that you care and what Achebe said about Yorubas hating Igbos is in the past but the fact that a yoruba opened this thread and yorubas are supporting him to ridicule Achebe, it renders Achebe's last book VALID in all ramifications.

Exactly by writing a book in his senile age to plant the seed of hatred into the minds of you and your kinsmen.Why did the I'd'I'o'T have wait for over 40 years before writing "there was a country " ? 40 years of accumulated lies !

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:50am On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Where is the list of Future African leaders? It is not complete without a Nigerian in it. That is a false list if you asked, although, I haven't seen it.

The link is actually: "The 10 Youngest Power Men in Africa." http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehed45lik/joseph-kabila-congolese-president-democratic-republic-of-congo/

Most of them aren't even black.

I should be on that list in two years' time, not as a Nigeria but as a Yoruba. I renounced my Nigerian citizenship last year December. I'm presently waiting for Nigeria to break up, so that I can apply for my Yoruba passport. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 24, 2013
...Things Fall apart......Achebe is a great mind, what a title to best-seller.....Things Fall Apart, and he refused $1m dollars from 50 cents to use the title on a movie, Achebe was not a typical egocentric, He was a hero, my hero.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 12:53am On Mar 24, 2013
Chinua Achebe novels will live on when we are all dust.

The Igbo name will continue to live on through his novels. For that I am very thankful.

Igbo Kwenu!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
obadiah777: YEAH THOSE DAYUM HEATHENS. OYINBOS THAT IS grin SPEAKING OF ASHEBE WAS HE SEPERATED AT BIRTH FROM NELSON MANDELA ? THOSE TWO LOOK LIKE IDENTICAL TWINS

The Ashebe on that link looks oyinboish to me. Why do you think she's madiba's identical twin cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
Apparently, the seed of discord and disunity has been amongst us, trying to accuse Prof Achebe for saying the truth and bringing to light what's on ground is mere foolishness and he will FOREVER remain a powerful hero and leader in the hearts of men. His name has been inducted and archived in the worlds powerful writers. If u don't like that, go and hang.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
nairaman66:

Yes he did! Out rightly he refused to soil his hand in the God damned dirty politricks of Nigeria!

Obj gave him merit award and an ofr national award,he collected it.

Jonathan offered him later,he refused it.

When did he become a politician by choosing whom to receive and reject awards from?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
A divided Southern Nigeria is the glory of the North, what a calamity.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
What an elder can see from his chair, a youngster cannot see from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!

Achebe saw the real problem with Nigeria and preached tirelessly that we should correct it. Op claims Achebe never believed in Nigeria and was too pessimistic.

Was his pessimism justified? He was 30 years old at independence. He saw the great promise that Nigeria held. Have we lived up to expection? Capital no. On the contrary even African countries with less population than Bayelsa and less GDP than Yobe state now laugh at us.

For people like Achebe, it must have been heart-wrenching to see Nigeria as it is. For those born and bred in a mediocre Naija, it may not seem to matter as they have never seen any better.

Achebe once veered into politics but he documented clearly that those in Nigerian politics are only there for their pockets and advancement, not to serve the people.

Achebe had too much decency and conscience to remain in Naija politics.

He has finished his own battle. The battle to rescue Naija is now ours to lose.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche:
You better show that "dead man" some respect.

But I guess you being raised in Britain, you do not know much about the respect that should be given to an elder like Chinua Achebe.

Where did I say anything about 'Achebe' on this thread?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 12:54am On Mar 24, 2013
Deleted
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 12:56am On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: A divided Southern Nigeria is the glory of the North, what a calamity.

These bigots have gone too far.

I could handle their dislike for Ojukwu, but their hate for a man who brought pride to all of Africa is too much for me.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 12:56am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche: My respect for Fela Kuti and Wole Soyinka is being put to the test because of some of these Yoruba bigots speaking ill of this great man.

Bros, one thing you have to understand is not everyone will see him as a great man, but as long as the majority do, the world "outside Nigeria" does, yoruba bigots are just wasting their time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (37) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Celebrates Her Twin Sons' Birthday (see Photos) / Obasanjo Ordered Police To Shoot Criminals, OPC At Sight As President (Video) / If El-rufai Is Not Arrested, Buhari Should Apologise To Nnamdi Kanu – Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.