Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41768 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by michelz: 12:57am On Mar 24, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks
There are times i wonder how some people reason and talk....when will you shun this kind of ethnic hatred that has eaten deep into your system? You cry and whine everyday for a 'One Nigeria',yet you can not let this shameful act of tribalism leave you...Here was a man,whom the whole world is mourning his death,because of his contributions to the world in general...Do you know how many men all over the world he inspired with his book "Things fall apart"? Can you start counting the many people he helped to appreciate literature all over the world? Young men and women who still look at his works till this very day for research purposes and direction?This man spoke the truth on government issues even till his last days. Truths some of you would have preferred hidden. He spoke out against the ills in the nation,on behalf of all Nigerians,not just for the Ibos as some of you would mischieviously like to project...Some of you who condemn him now at his death,would hypocritically have your children,even your children children benefit from his books...How can we move the nation forward with this kind of attitude? I advice Nigerians,especially our youths,shun this ethnic sentiments that have continued to pull us down as a nation,and embrace the true spirit of oneness...let's learn to respect our heroes and what they stood/stand for,for there lies the true greatness of a nation. peace.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche:

These bigots have gone too far.

I could handle their dislike for Ojukwu, but their hate for a man who brought pride to all of Africa is too much for me.
I have learnt to stay away from the Iscariots. Their betrayal has reached the crescendo!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by plasgidy: 12:59am On Mar 24, 2013
Bolaino, read ur post well u did mention that prof achebe is a litrature nobale lorates, which almost the whole world respect him, dear thats a great honour to him and his family and the nation he came from, he critsiced the government to seat up and do things right, what is wrong abt that, I was waching ben tv last time abt whom to give honour or award most people that called in to make sugestion ware all calling obj awo and other of there Yoruba brothers, for christ sake what did obj d mo during three times he was the president of nigeria that gej two yers in office have not done more than, think twise and give honour where is do. My ten kobo

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 12:59am On Mar 24, 2013
But why do Igbos always cry when their icons are questioned?

Y'all open threads everyday to disrespect dead and living Yoruba icons everyday but when they do the same to you, you will start crying everywhere like someone stole your biscuit and chocolate. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Igbos cry and whine too much sha. cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 12:59am On Mar 24, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Exactly by writing a book in his senile age to plant the seed of hatred into the minds of you and your kinsmen.Why did the I'd'I'o'T have wait for over 40 years before writing "there was a country " ? 40 years of accumulated lies !

To be honest, I think you are the one with the hatred. Without mincing word, the country needs to apologize to the Igbo community. They were murdered and are still being murdered. The Igbo ethnic group are marginalized in the scheme of things. If any group needs to leave, they have every right to. If any group needs to be bitter they have every right to. However, we need them, we need everybody to make this country great for once, because it had never been great. You need to stop this hating and begin to appreciate our diversity. Please let's stop this.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 1:00am On Mar 24, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Obj gave him merit award and an ofr national award,he collected it.

Jonathan offered him later,he refused it.

When did he become a politician by choosing whom to receive and reject awards from?

Anyone can reject any honour if he so wishes. Some people refuse MBE, OBE, CBE and even knighthood from the Queen of England everytime. These honours are actually from the Prime Minister's office. Only very few honours come from the Queen directly.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:01am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

The link is actually: "The 10 Youngest Power Men in Africa." http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehed45lik/joseph-kabila-congolese-president-democratic-republic-of-congo/

Most of them aren't even black.

I should be on that list in two years' time, not as a Nigeria but as a Yoruba. I renounced my Nigerian citizenship last year December. I'm presently waiting for Nigeria to break up, so that I can apply for my Yoruba passport. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Nonsense list!Apart from Mark Shuttlesworth, there others are just like many Nigerians out there. If those are what Forbes pick for Youngest Powerful Men in Africa not Future African Leaders then Africa is gonna remain in the dark for years to come because I can't see any milestone from what they do. Apart from the Ubuntu founder and he is not even based in Africa any more.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by RedLight1: 1:01am On Mar 24, 2013
[size=18pt]SAY NO TO TRIBALISM[/size]

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:01am On Mar 24, 2013
Area-Fada:

Anyone can reject any honour if he so wishes. Some people refuse MBE, OBE, CBE and even knighthood from the Queen of England everytime. These honours are actually from the Prime Minister's office. Only very few honours come from the Queen directly.

Why did he not reject obj's award ? grin

Was he broke then ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 24, 2013
In sincerity I think it is very painful for the Igbos, they have been serially marginalized in this Nigeria project, and they just want to have their own country, yet they are not allowed to leave, can we for once, put ourselves in their shoes ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 1:02am On Mar 24, 2013
Area-Fada:

Those who rejected those honours didn't do it because they don't like England. They did it because they don't like the monarchy and what it represents. Stop comparing apples to oranges. cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:03am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

The Ashebe on that link looks oyinboish to me. Why do you think she's madiba's identical twin cheesy cheesy
GOOD QUESTION. SOMETHING ABOUT THE FACIAL CHARACTER SEEMS THE SAME. LET ME GET TWO LINKS TO BUTTRESS THIS POINT
[img]http://1.bp..com/-m_8DQNByCkY/Tj_ThnpN0cI/AAAAAAAAAsc/nedxP0ENVuY/s1600/Chinua+Achebe+7.jpg[/img]

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSceEOUCOaTrQ05u7m5tG7u1YH48OBQYkLD9omeeIP-jUeSHQ5Q[/img] YOU SEE WHAT I SEE ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 1:04am On Mar 24, 2013
Chinua Achebe's name will live on FOREVER!

The Igbo culture that is present in his novels will live on forever.

The Iroko treee has fallen but will never be forgotten.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:04am On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: In sincerity I think it is very painful for the Igbos, they have been serially marginalized in this Nigeria project, and they just want to have their own country, yet they are not allowed to leave, can we for once, put ourselves in their shoes ?

This is what pisses me off, they come here and claim Prof. Achebe wanted to cause war amongst us, yet you ask yourself, if this people so much love Nigeria, yet they harbor tribalism, YET, if we're disunited, why can't we part ways? Fear them - TWO FACED KNIFE.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 24, 2013
Red-Light:
[size=32pt]SAY NO TO TRIBALISM[/size]

How can I post this to Shinua Ashebe ? grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 1:04am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche: My respect for Fela Kuti and Wole Soyinka is being put to the test because of some of these Yoruba bigots speaking ill of this great man.
No one should force you to change your opinion on who you admired their God's given talent, just because of some internet tribal warriors. Soyinka is my icon any day and anytime,even if he comes from Timbuktu. And no one can do that. How foolish I should feel in I have to decent to that low live level?

This same people dance naked in the market about one Nigeria, but hate one Nigeria in reality.
Mention separation to them, to go all crazy and abuse anything that moves. Confused bunch, who don't really know what they want.
They don't like other so called Nigerians and hate separation of Nigeria too. Pathetic!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 1:06am On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Nonsense list!Apart from Mark Shuttlesworth, there others are just like many Nigerians out there. If those are what Forbes pick for Youngest Powerful Men in Africa not Future African Leaders then Africa is gonna remain in the dark for years to come because I can't see any milestone from what they do. Apart from the Ubuntu founder and he is not even based in Africa any more.

Is there even any hope for Africa with the sub-human species they keep churning out of that hell-hole? cheesy

All those chicken heads and frauds from that continent are lost beyond redemption. ANyway, all hope is not lost, the white and Asian Africans are still there to help you get a head start.

Africa is DEAD.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 1:06am On Mar 24, 2013
Eziachi:
In Igbo culture we use to say that if an idiom or analogy is explained to a boy, the dowry paid on his mother is all in vain.
I was using a scenario where 2 face wins a grammy therefore someone concluded that hence he is better or bigger than icons like fela Kuti or Obey because they never won a grammy themselves. A simply analogy, you still don't get it? grin grin

Save your rubbish for your Olodo kind. You foolishly equated a singer with a writer and all of a sudden you are deceptively claiming some idiotic and moronic idiom...

Egbon, quit rubbishing yourself inside mud.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 1:07am On Mar 24, 2013
Area-Fada:
What an elder can see from his chair, a youngster cannot see from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!

Achebe saw the real problem with Nigeria and preached tirelessly that we should correct it. Op claims Achebe never believed in Nigeria and was too pessimistic.

Was his pessimism justified? He was 30 years old at independence. He saw the great promise that Nigeria held. Have we lived up up to expection?
For people like Achebe, it must be heart-wrenching to see Nigeria as it is. For those born and bred in a mediocre Naija, it may not seem to matter as they have never seen any better.

Achebe once veered into politics but he documented clearly that those in Nigeriann politics are only there for the pockets and advancement, not to serve the people.
Achebe had too much decency and conscience to remain in Naija politics.

He has finished his own battle. The battle to rescue Naija is now ours to lose.

Oh God if I know how to say a million thank you to you I would. This is extremely the truth and I also love the way you concluded it. God bless you and i pray our only country, Nigeria see the light.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 1:07am On Mar 24, 2013
Deleted

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08am On Mar 24, 2013
ypzilanti: What does OP want Achebe to do? Bulid roads and bridges? The guy was an author and he excelled at what he did...in fact he was among the best in the world. All that he was fighting for was for your governor and president to be the among the best in the world too. Hope that answers your question.

I LOVE THIS. BEAUTIFULLY SAID AND IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08am On Mar 24, 2013
wow so many shallow posts on this site. sad

From the grammatical richness of some of the disappointingly bigoted posts I have seen here, I am assuming the authors are well educated Nigerians, but they also throw tribal stones? WTH?

I am neither Igbo nor Yoruba and I honestly do not understand why these two tribes think Nigeria is just all about them. For heaven's sake there are over 200 other tribes in this country! You think those people from those tribes are not also pissed about how badly things have turned out?
See, we can all rant about how unfair this country has been to people from tribe A or B but it will definitely take us no where! Many Nigerians are very self-centered and discrimination even exists amongst people from the same tribe; I have heard so many dumb comments where people from Anambra claim to be the 'original Igbos' while the others are not; so how will a republic like Biafra had survived if it had people with such mindset? (just an example)

Why don't we focus on our similarities rather than our differences?
Why would someone make a post like "My respect for Fela Kuti and Wole Soyinka is being put to the test because of some of these Yoruba bigots speaking ill..."? Was the respect you had from them born out of the fact that they were Yoruba's before?

I really don't understand where all these hatred is coming from! Nigerians, learn how to listen to people whose opinions differ from yours! absorb what makes sense and move on from those that do not! haba! This is so disappointing!

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09am On Mar 24, 2013
Nigeria needs a Hero, yet, we find no role models for the younger generations. The few ones with lofty legacies adored by the greatest minds world-wide are being ridiculed by tribalists of Nairaland.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 1:10am On Mar 24, 2013
obadiah777: GOOD QUESTION. SOMETHING ABOUT THE FACIAL CHARACTER SEEMS THE SAME. LET ME GET TWO LINKS TO BUTTRESS THIS POINT
YOU SEE WHAT I SEE ?

My bad, I didn't know you were talking about 'Achebe', I thought it was Dayokanu's infamous 'Ashebe'. cheesy cheesy

I guess it has to do with old age. But Madiba is a meek and gentle legendary icon that's incomparable to any living, or recently dead African. You can compare some of those who died before the 80s to him, though. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Soso990240(m): 1:11am On Mar 24, 2013
Abeg @op,show me a nigerian writer dat has contributd 2 nigeria more than Achebe.his literary work kept many goin.ar u angry dat he outshone yoruba writers of all time? Yes he did..he is a fulfild man.writing his last book made him more confortable,bcaus he has spoken d truth,whch evry old man will luv 2 do b4 death.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 1:11am On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: Nigeria needs a Hero, yet, we find no role models for the younger generations. The few ones with lofty legacies adored by the greatest minds world-wide are being ridiculed by tribalists of Nairaland.

Why didn't you post this before I renounced my citizenship? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:12am On Mar 24, 2013
Ada Nri1: I'm not sure you've read that book.

Tell me about it madam !
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 1:12am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Save your rubbish for your Olodo kind. You foolishly equated a singer with a and all of a sudden you are deceptively claiming some idiotic and moronic idiom...

Egbon, quit rubbishing yourself inside mud.
I am glad you finally got the gist. I am tired now after all that going round in a circle all night.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (37) (Reply)

[photos] Flood In Lekki Phase 1 Despite No Rain / Governor Amosun Meets Anthony Joshua (Pictures) / Tosin Saraki Weds Adeniyi Olatunde Olukoya On October 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.