Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41770 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:12am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche:

I just do not understand how Wole Soyinka and Fela Kuti can be members of the same tribe of those who are disrespecting Chinua Achebe.

Spreading falsehoods about this man when he did so much for Africa. Pathetic.

Sir with due respect, I do not understand why you asked this question.
Does disrespect have any correlation with one's tribe? Please see each
poster as an individual and not some representative of a particular tribe! Please. ahn ahn angry

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tpia5: 1:12am On Mar 24, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks

this post is very unfortunate, would have ignored it so as to not give it prominence, but had to comment just for the record.

dont trash what you dont understand. You probably know nothing about literature or the man in question [beyond the fact that he's Igbo], give it a rest.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 1:12am On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: Nigeria needs a Hero, yet, we find no role models for the younger generations. The few ones with lofty legacies adored by the greatest minds world-wide are being ridiculed by tribalists of Nairaland.

A serious concern for our country Nigeria.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 1:15am On Mar 24, 2013
Deleted
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:15am On Mar 24, 2013
0lumide: [s]I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks[/s]
I can't even take you serious. Someone who puts Baba Suwe on the same level with Chinua Achebe should not be taken serious.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Soso990240(m): 1:16am On Mar 24, 2013
Haterz can hate frm january 2 december,WHO CARES? he achieved wot ur forefathers cudnt achieve..he conquard his generation.gues wot...? No yoruba writer would hav rejectd 50 cent's million dollar..i bet u.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 24, 2013
I grew up reading the works of Achebe and Wole Soyinka, and I knew we did belong to one country, Nigeria. Now, I am adult and I realized we are not one people, we are now, Igbo Nation, Arewa Nation and Oduduwa Nation, my tribe is not among those. Where do I come from ? Is there a country to call mine ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 1:17am On Mar 24, 2013
EzeUche:

I just do not understand how Wole Soyinka and Fela Kuti can be members of the same tribe of those who are disrespecting Chinua Achebe.

Spreading falsehoods about this man when he did so much for Africa. Pathetic.
Like I said before, there are people who still believe that out earth is flat.
Trying to change their views is a waste of time. There are Yorubas programmed after the war to believe that every thing across the Niger is bad, but that doesn't mean that all Yorubas are like that.
It just that internet has given some of them a hiding place to unleash. Unfortunately there are Igbos like that too. Just unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Sirnokiopee(m): 1:18am On Mar 24, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]i know one chinwe achebe.... she's a great girl, but her things never fall apart. #joke.

serzly achebe just exercise the freedom of speech,freedom of tot and freedom of believe. its simple... he chose his part. everybody cant be hero. but to me, his just an ORDINARY man.Nothing special about him. all he achieved was ALL FOR HIMSELF,but the igbo/ibo are allow to claim his glory. no big deal. but when we are talking about Nigeria (i mean development, government,change,politics and future)please don't mention achebe. his a great man in his field. #sekinah
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 1:18am On Mar 24, 2013
May God destroy those who amalgamated Nigeria in their graves!!! Amen

May Nigeria break up before 2015!!! Amen

Stone age country!!!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 1:19am On Mar 24, 2013
Eziachi:
I am glad you finally got the gist. I am tired now after all that going round in a circle all night.

Uncles, stop fooling yourself by calling your stupidity gist. foolishly eqauting singers with writers is no gist, its ignorance and idiocy.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend: May God destroy those who amalgamated Nigeria in their graves!!! Amen

Stone age country!!!
Hahaha... grin grin grin grin. You must be mad for writing that,dude!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Soso990240(m): 1:20am On Mar 24, 2013
ekwah:

Sir with due respect, I do not understand why you asked this question.
Does disrespect have any correlation with one's tribe? Please see each
poster as an individual and not some representative of a particular tribe! Please. ahn ahn angry

while it's obvious dat yorubas are jealous of d man..oya tel me hw soyinka contributd..taaarrr
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Hourglass4real: 1:20am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Words and books are very powerful tools that heals, influence and change minds and ashebe used these powerful instrument to divide and spread hate and bigotry. His last book didn't heal, it divided the country and erased all the gains we've made.

That bitter old man was selfish and thoughtless. Who writes dumb stuff like that in 2013 and at 82 years old? Obviously, he was hateful and bitter man to the core and he took all that baggage to the grave with him.
R u for real? Wld u rathr he sugarcoat or lie outrightly abt his ordeal? This ws a real life experince, a writer witnessd first hand nd narrated frm his own angle. There ws a civil war that ws fought nt a nollywood movie and ppl went thru a lot! He didn't wnt al that undr d rug. Hav u asked yourself y our civil war is not being taught@schools? Whil developd countries lik US evn France stil learn abt theirs up till date?y? So that the youth wl learn from the past mistaks made.
If we cld hardly 4get an armed robbery incident that affected us directly, how much more a war?
The prblm we hav in this country is mostly that of ignorance. If u wr ther whn it hapend,wht stopd u frm writing ur own memoir?

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 24, 2013
ekwah: wow so many shallow posts on this site. sad

From the grammatical richness of some of the disappointingly bigoted posts I have seen here, I am assuming the authors are well educated Nigerians, but they also throw tribal stones? WTH?

I am neither Igbo nor Yoruba and I honestly do not understand why these two tribes think Nigeria is just all about them. For heaven's sake there are over 200 other languages in this country! You think those people from those tribes are not also pissed about how badly things have turned out in this country?
See we can all rant about how unfair this country has been to people from tribe A or B but it will definitely take us no where! Many Nigerians are very self-centered and the so-called inter-tribal bashings even exist amongst people from the same tribe; I have heard so many dumb comments where people from Anambra claim to be the 'original Igbos' while the others are not; so how will a republic like Biafra had survived if it had people with such mindset?

Why don't we focus on our similarities rather than our differences?
Why would someone make a post like "My respect for Fela Kuti and Wole Soyinka is being put to the test because of some of these Yoruba bigots speaking ill"? Was the respect you had from them born out of the fact that they were Yoruba's before?

I really don't understand where all these hatred is coming from! Nigerians learn how to listen to people whose opinions differ from yours! absorb what makes sense and move on from those that do not! haba!
when you want to talk fair, also mention some of the things that are utterly disgusting that some yourubas have said here. Don't be a 1 sided umpire, your partiality can be smelt from miles away. Btw, this happens only on nl so it'll do you well to totally ignore them. Some even have youruba fathers and igbo mothers and vice versa, I know 4 of them here

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by RedLight1: 1:23am On Mar 24, 2013

Stone age country!!!
U OKAY? angry undecided undecided
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Uncles, stop fooling yourself by calling your stupidity gist. foolishly eqauting singers with writers is no gist, its ignorance and idiocy.

The guys is old and suffering from senility.you try sef,arguing with a man that fought during biafran war !

Red scorpion really kicked his butt . cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 24, 2013

Stone age country!!!

shut your dirty mouth up! angry Go home and think. You and I are Nigeria's problems. Disintegration solves NOTHING when the people continue to exhibit the same terrible qualities.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by hugafella(m): 1:27am On Mar 24, 2013
Why does NL give space for these kinds of topics? Dont you all know foreigners visit this site? If you dont have respect for your departed elders, then stop insulting ours. WHAT IS THIS TOPIC INTENDED TO ACHIEVE? Whatever you say here does not take anything away from who he was. GO AND ACHIEVE SOMETHING YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR, NOT RUNNING TO NAIRALAND TO INSULT A DEPARTED ELDER, FIT TO BE YOUR GRANDFATHER. WHAT IS WRONG WITH NAIRALAND? I ASK THE MENTALLY RETVRDED MODERATOR OF THIS FORUM WHAT THIS TOPIC IS MEANT TO ACHIEVE.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 1:27am On Mar 24, 2013
Deleted
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by trent9002(m): 1:27am On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Who needs that hate filled people like you and ashebe as compatriots and of what use was ashebe as an elder and a nigerian when all he had was hate and contempt for his country and fellow Nigerians?

Soyinka was jailed in the same Nigeria while fighting for a better Nigeria which he's still doing, not promoting hatred and enmity, not writing hate filled books full of animosity and needless tribal supremacy.

Is this what you call contribution? obviously and war or no war, the man was just personally a hateful and vengeful human being and he let it let it out in his books, actions and utterances.

And you need to shut up about America and American authors because American authors don't write hate books, they are not tribalists, they don't denegrating and insult other people in their books.

What's next? his last book that upset and decided the country was progress too right?

Go and read up the definition of progress.
If you don't like his story, write your own
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:30am On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe achieved a lot for himself and helped promote the cause of black race by attacking the image of Africa solidly embossed on the world's bressplate by the West. This he achieved in two ways. One by providing a counter narrative in form of Things Fall Apart and two, by attacking Conrad's Heart of Darkness, a Western novel that portrays African as sub-human. Achebe's contributions in that light are quite imperishable. Any argument to the contrary is more or less a personal opinion that's not rooted in logic or logicality. Infact, that contribution is the sole reason why he's highly celebrated.

However, that does not mean Achebe is a kind of God whose actions are infallible. He can not write on Biafran war, a war in which he was an active participant and indeed a propagandist mouthpiece of the secessionist Biafra state and expect everybody to take him by his word even when the book is full of secondary sources as references and indeed when preponderances of neutral/external work are against his views. He can not write a political opinion as a fact. The entire book was looking for evidence to make a point, his "impressions", "there are people who believe that" etc. Quite frankly, it was wrong to extend his hatred for Awolowo to the whole Yorubas. Because slice anyhow, Yorubas were not in anyway responsible for the civil war, had no joint destiny with Igbo and had no obligation to neither dictate nor subsist to Igbo agenda.

The issue of supremacy in African literature is at times laughable. Achebe was not an all rounder! He was a good novelist, period. He wouldn't in any way even come to close to 100th position to Soyinka in Drama and Soyinka won Nobel Prize as a Dramatist not novelist. Also, Achebe's strength was closer to zero in poetry. So when people say, the great Iroko has fallen, yes as a pioneer true. But when folks start describing him in the superlative, the best, the best of best, it's not rooted at best in literary wisdom or logic. Being the first to publish a great book does not in anyway make you the best, automatically, in everything. To a common man, it's confusing but to folks who eat, drink and fck literature, the difference is glaringly clear.

12 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ozodimgba(m): 1:31am On Mar 24, 2013
hurricaneChris: While the shocking news of d death of Prof. Chinualumogu Achebe- a veteran writer whose works in all aspects of life are legendary, is still latest trend, I have sat down to look at some of his words that touch(ed) and influenced my reasoning.

"While we do our good works let us not forget that the real solution lies in a world in which charity will have become unnecessary.”
― Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah

“If you don't like someone's story, write your own.”
― Chinua Achebe

“To me, being an intellectual doesn't mean knowing about intellectual issues; it means taking pleasure in them.”
― Chinua Achebe

“The white man is very clever. He came quietly and peaceably with his religion. We were amused at his foolishness and allowed him to stay. Now he has won our brothers, and our clan can no longer act like one. He has put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart.”
― Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

“Nobody can teach me who I am. You can describe parts of me, but who I am - and what I need - is something I have to find out myself.”
― Chinua Achebe

“ONE OF THE TRUEST TESTS OF INTEGRITY IS ITS BLUNT REFUSAL TO BE COMPROMISED ”
― Chinua Achebe

“We cannot trample upon the humanity of others without devaluing our own. The Igbo, always practical, put it concretely in their proverb Onye ji onye n'ani ji onwe ya: "He who will hold another down in the mud must stay in the mud to keep him down.”
― Chinua Achebe, The Education of a British-Protected Child: Essays

Charity . . . is the opium of the privileged.”

“There is no story that is not true, [...] The world has no end, and what is good among one people is an abomination with others.”

“Nobody can teach me who I am.”
― Chinua Achebe

" MY WEAPON IS LITERATURE” ― Chinua Achebe

“People create stories create people; or rather stories create people create stories.”
― Chinua Achebe

“When suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool.”
― Chinua Achebe

“Mr. Brown had thought of nothing but numbers. He should have known that the kingdom of God did not depend on large crowds. Our Lord Himself stressed the importance of fewness. Narrow is the way and few the number. To fill the Lord's holy temple with an idolatrous crowd clamoring for signs was a folly of everlasting consequence. Our Lord used the whip only once in His life - to drive the crowd away from His church.”

“Storytellers are a threat. They threaten all champions of control, they frighten usurpers of the right-to-freedom of the human spirit -- in state, in church or mosque, in party congress, in the university or wherever.”

“Oh, the most important thing about myself is that my life has been full of changes. Therefore, when I observe the world, I don’t expect to see it just like I was seeing the fellow who lives in the next room. There is this complexity which seems to me to be part of the meaning of existence and everything we value.”
― Chinua Achebe

“...when we are comfortable and inattentive, we run the risk of committing grave injustices absentmindedly.”
― Chinua Achebe, The Education of a British-Protected Child: Essays

“Writers don't give prescriptions. They give headaches!”

“When the moon is shining the cripple becomes hungry for a walk”

“Perhaps down in his heart Okonkwo was not a cruel man. But his whole life was dominated by fear, the fear of failure and of weakness.
It was deeper and more intimate that the fear of evil and capricious gods and of magic, the fear of the forest, and of the forces of nature, malevolent, red in tooth and claw.
Okonkwo’s fear was greater than these. It was not external but lay deep within himself.”

“Privilege, you see, is one of the great adversaries of the imagination; it spreads a thick layer of adipose tissue over our sensitivity.”
― Chinua Achebe, Hopes and Impediments: Selected Essays

“Then listen to me,' he said and cleared his throat. 'It's true that a child belongs to its father. But when a father beats his child, it seeks sympathy in its mother's hut. A man belongs to his fatherland when things are good and life is sweet. But when there is sorrow and bitterness he finds refuge in his motherland. Your mother is there to protect you. She is buried there. And that is why we say that mother is supreme. Is it right that you, Okonkwo, should bring your mother a heavy face and refuse to be comforted? Be careful or you may displease the dead. Your duty is to comfort your wives and children and take them back to your fatherland after seven years. But if you allow sorrow to weigh you down and kill you, they will all die in exile.”

“When Suffering knocks at your door and you say there is no seat left for him, he tells you not to worry because he has brought his own stool.”
― Chinua Achebe

“It is only the story...that saves our progeny from blundering like blind beggars into the spikes of the cactus fence.The story is our escort;without it,we are blind.Does the blind man own his escort?No,neither do we the story;rather,it is the story that owns us.

“Do not despair. I know you will not despair. You have a manly and a proud heart. A proud heart can survive a general failure because such a failure does not prick its pride. It is more difficult and more bitter when a man fails alone.”

“There is no story that is not true.”

“A man who calls his kinsmen to a feast does not do so to save them from starving. They all have food in their own homes. When we gather together in the moonlit village ground it is not because of the moon. Every man can see it in his own compound. We come together because it is good for kinsmen to do so.”

“The impatient idealist says: 'Give me a place to stand and I shall move the earth.' But such a place does not exist. We all have to stand on the earth itself and go with her at her pace.”
― Chinua Achebe, No Longer at Ease

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (37) (Reply)

Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings / 'I Am Not Afraid To Condemn The Attacks On Christians And Churches'' VP Osinbajo / INEC Announces Final Details Of Supplementary Elections In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.