Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,652 members, 7,854,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 03:50 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41857 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 24, 2013
victorD3: OP is intellectually lazy.
Lazy is mild, use redundant.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bornosheikh: 9:39am On Mar 24, 2013
You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.

I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.

(Quote) (Report) 89 Likes and counting...

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tpia5: 9:41am On Mar 24, 2013
Olufunmibi

The controversy was present long before achebe wrote his book, and the animosity would still be present even if he hadnt written it.

People are just walking round on eggshells these days, looking for any reason to blame others for the frustration they feel, thus they just latch on to anything as an excuse to vent their tension.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 9:41am On Mar 24, 2013
Funny people. The big boys in Yoruba land...those that went to school and understand the value of the man are all eulogizing him. Half educated fools on Nairaland are raging that he dared launch a personal attack against their tin god. I have asked severally how attacking Awolowo's war policy amounts to tribalism, and no one can give me an answer.

Awo made a decision that he thought was expidient during time of war: whatever insults or abuse such a decision brought to him is part of the price of leadership. Shebi Babangida and Obasanjo are still answering for june 12 and odi massacare. Those that want to kill off the debate about the policy of starvation and its architects are half educated ethnic mischief makers. The big boys in Yoruba land have disputed the book with points, and none accused Chinua of tribalism.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
Olufunmibi

The controversy was present long before achebe wrote his book, and the animosity would still be present even if he hadnt written it.

People are just walking round on eggshells these days, looking for any reason to blame others for the frustration they feel, thus they just latch on to anything as an excuse to vent their tension.
I am tempted to believe you are right. I really do think you are.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 9:44am On Mar 24, 2013
olufunmibi: Well for me it just happened that I've never read any of Chinua Achebe's books, my elderly sibblings did, because it was the fad in their days, but history effectively told us that he is a great literary icon,he was a strategist during the biafran war, he received national honours and turned some down, and he wrote a book "there was a country" at age 81 or so which reignited generation old animosity, hatred, and disaffection between the Yorubas and the Igbos.the book is a time bomb, it has a potential to cause carnage and bloodshed in the future, if the wound of ethnic hatred remained festering and fungating. For me, I regret that that book was written in the twilight of his life, it has not helped national unity, it has made us hate ourselves more. I read with disgust what people, the Igbos, write on this forum about my Patriach,Obafemi Awolowo. Never mind. It is what it is. You, your children, your Grand children will spend Naira, that name Naira, our Collective Monetary Identity as Nigerian was coined by Obafemi Awolowo, and please always remember to collect your N100 Change, that is Awo in your pocket. It is what it is! Obafemi Awolowo University Ile Ife, best University in Nigeria, is Awo's Brainchild, he was the Chancellor, it is what it is. If you are great, You are Great, it is just what it is! By the way I commiserate with you my Igbo compatriots on your loss, may God keep raising great men and men who foster peace and not divison among you. And may you one day again have a great leader, who you can all rally around, who can be your guiding light and lead your race to the greatness you always aspire to, not just people writing books causing fight among children on the internet. Accept my condolences.

You caused more division with your post than the one existing before.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tpia5: 9:44am On Mar 24, 2013
How many people have actually read the book?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Niggmatic: 9:45am On Mar 24, 2013
Wow! What a great man he really is. Well my signature says it all. RIP Africa Giant
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
Olufunmibi

Thank you helping me explain to the guy. I was too weak to reply him. I don't know why we love to hate the truth and accept lies and yet we desire change.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:46am On Mar 24, 2013
[b]Page 15 THESE IGBO Bigots have not told us Achebe's achievement for Nigeria. The impact he made and how he has helped people.

3 months after releasing hate filled book and Igbos rejoicing that the level of tribalism by their Icon he died. Is that not enough sign that even the elements are not happy when Idio.ts cause strif among brothers and friend.

I wonder whether these people acutally read their Bibles and yet they claim to be righteous Christians unlike Muslims.

No one is happy with his death and we as a nation have paid our respect to the bigot, not that because he was a good writer but because we know how sentimental these igbo people can be.

Now they can't answer a simple question, all we are seeing is insults on Yorubas people and their leaders even though no one insulted theirs.

I would not digress any further with introduction of Tribalism in the 50's thanks to Nnamdi but the fact remains that this modern times when people are already mixing, Achebe an elderly man did not USE WISDOM to write his book.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:47am On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:

A lot including me. Any problem ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by donigspain(m): 9:48am On Mar 24, 2013
Dede1:

You are one among many reasons Nigeria is a dead-end piece of junk. Achebe was and remained one of few major contributors to Africa’s progress. You are too ignorant to even begin to comprehend Achebe’s contribution to the progress of entire African continent. In USA, authors of text books that hold rare knowledge are valued more than an idiotic politician who claimed to have granted free education, built TV Station, roads, bridges or stadia by using public fund. An author used his\her natural endowment, time and money to publish books so that drooling airheads such you had the opportunity to spew crap.

If moronic dingbats such as you had followed a bit of Achebe’s preaching and forget the never-do-well structure on a sandy foundation such as Nigeria, the region would have experienced explosion of progress and mutual corporations among nation states rather than ethnical and sectarian massacres prevalent in Nigeria today.

I shall never want to have you as a compatriot.
@bolded, You've said it all...
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:49am On Mar 24, 2013
grin now even ladies are not left out in this tribal war.

Erm, I know you all will be thirsty by now so there is refreshment...... grin

Bowing my head to a great man, a fallen hero; my fallen hero. We don't need you to make the world proud, we don't need you to make our Yoruba brothers proud or any other people for that matter. You made us proud, you represented us and fought for what we believed in. I stand on the ground you stood. You were BIAFRAN, so am I.
I will not fight, neither will I shed blood to contest your greatness and integrity because a man's greatness precedes him. Yours precedes you. Anaghi ahucha uzo si muta oku. Ihe agbana n'aka ejighi onyo ele ya. And I know wherever you are right now you wouldn't want me to.

Onye nna ya dinyere ohi na eji ukwu agbaka uzo, and we nod in satisfaction. The rest doesn't matter.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
The book about the truth ? The truth is out there, today, it is not about one book, it is about a man, a great Literary icon, in whose company Nelson Mandela's prison wall fell.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 9:50am On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem:

A lot including me. Any problem ?

The only problem is that your knowledge will still be low till you emancipate your mind with the book.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 9:50am On Mar 24, 2013
Efikman: Tinubu and Fashola fighters Abi treasury looters...... Please visit the nearest psychiatric hospital for evaluation.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Blame ewedu and amala.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by crimo4us(m): 9:50am On Mar 24, 2013
chyz: Are some people actually here doubting Chinua Achebe? I warn our SW "brothers" to don't become internationally isolated. There is never been a man EVER in all of Yoruba land that has made anywhere close to, on the level of, or more of an impact in the world than Chinua Achebe. I dare the yorubas to name one. Even Fela, had more of an impact than Awolowo,lol. I'd say he is the closes that orubas can get to Achebe and he's even at a distant close. Please come back to reality people and stop making fools of yourselves.
. Nobel prize is the prize you get when you are the best in the world in a particular field of professionalism, Wole Soyinka got one and Achebe got none, both of them are literary icon.Wole Soyinka got the prize for literature not activism.Measure greateness in professionalism with achievement.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:50am On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
Olufunmibi

And is the controversy still strong as what Achebe has done now ? How many writers in history since the first AD have written book to paint themselves as the best while others are antagonist to their progress ?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 9:53am On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: grin now even ladies are not left out in this tribal war.

Bowing my head to a great man, a fallen hero; my fallen hero. We don't need you to make the world proud, we don't need you to make our Yoruba brothers proud or any other people for that matter. You made us proud, you represented us and fought for what we believed in. I stand on the ground you stood. You were BIAFRAN, so am I.
I will not fight, neither will I shed blood to contest your greatness and integrity because a man's greatness precedes him. Yours precedes you. Anaghi ahucha uzo si muta oku. Ihe agbana n'aka ejighi onyo ele ya. And I know wherever you are right now you wouldn't want me to.

Onye nna ya dinyere ohi na eji ukwu agbaka ozo, and we nod in satisfaction. The rest doesn't matter.

Excellent writing, you must have read Things Fall Apart? grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:53am On Mar 24, 2013
Lets be realistic here and not think using sentiment and petty tribalism. Soyinka is not the discussion here. The question is simple and it is not about Achebe's book/s

What did Achebe achieve for others before passing on ? I mean, what positive impact did he make ?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 9:54am On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: [b]Page 15 THESE IGBO Bigots have not told us Achebe's achievement for Nigeria. The impact he made and how he has helped people.

3 months after releasing hate filled book and Igbos rejoicing that the level of tribalism by their Icon he died. Is that not enough sign that even the elements are not happy when Idio.ts cause strif among brothers and friend.

I wonder whether these people acutally read their Bibles and yet they claim to be righteous Christians unlike Muslims.

No one is happy with his death and we as a nation have paid our respect to the bigot, not that because he was a good writer but because we know how sentimental these igbo people can be.

Now they can't answer a simple question, all we are seeing is insults on Yorubas people and their leaders even though no one insulted theirs.

I would not digress any further with introduction of Tribalism in the 50's thanks to Nnamdi but the fact remains that this modern times when people are already mixing, Achebe an elderly man did not USE WISDOM to write his book.[/b]
Are you from Ijebu like Awolpwo? Only Ijebus are true Yoruba according to awo (frog)
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 9:55am On Mar 24, 2013
crimo4us: . Nobel prize is the prize you get when you are the best in the world in a particular field of professionalism, Wole Soyinka got one and Achebe got none, both of them are literary icon.Wole Soyinka got the prize for literature not activism.Measure greateness in professionalism with achievement.

This topic has nothing to do with the great Wole Soyinka, or literary prices. Save that for another topic.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aryzgreat: 9:56am On Mar 24, 2013
Efikman: Chronic Yoruba tribalistic MODS like OAM4J will one day cripple nairaland if Seun Osewa does not do something about it quick. When Yoruba bigots attack Achebe, Ibos and easterners as a whole by using derogatory words such as "ashebe", "Igbos", "yam pottage", "eboes", e.t.c, he will look the other way. But when those attacked reply with same derogatory words
Like Yoruba or Yoruba, he will not hesitate to ban them. Is this right? where then is the justice? Nobody will insult any Yoruba man if the bigots here don't draw the first blood. Make una enjoy. Afterall na una get nairaland. Nonsense!!!!!!!

Below is his handwork, in d thread my alternate account was banned, bluetooth was making inflamatory statements and all he did was to hid them after much reporting and public outcry, he never banned him as u can see him on this thread blabbing again, yet my only reply to bluetooth's insult on ndigbos earned me a 2 weeks ban. I only comment on NL when i see lies being tried to be painted as truth against my ppl, apart from dat NL does not pay me to add traffic and Naira to Seun's pocket. Tribalism in Moderating is taking NL to d dungeon if Seun doesn't check it.

Send E-Mail Message To Arysexy
Personal text: what goes round definitely comes round!
Time registered: February 10, 2010
Time spent online: 1 month & 4 days
View Your posts (754) | View Your topics (5)
Banned by OAM4J in Politics for Yoruba cowards. Ban expires on 4:58pm On Mar 26

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bornosheikh: 9:57am On Mar 24, 2013
Well for me it just happened that I've never read any of Chinua Achebe's books.

Therein lies the problem. Put down the DVD and read a book. Make up your OWN mind.

He who walks behind a goat, picks up their faeces.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 9:58am On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: Lets be realistic here and not think using sentiment and petty tribalism. Soyinka is not the discussion here. The question is simple and it is not about Achebe's book/s

What did Achebe achieve for others before passing on ? I mean, what positive impact did he make ?

Achebe developed the minds of millions with his pen, and billons more yet unborn will still benefit from his wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 24, 2013
alj harem: Lets be realistic here and not think using sentiment and petty tribalism. Soyinka is not the discussion here. The question is simple and it is not about Achebe's book/s

The impact is simple. He told the truth about Awolowo's betrayal, Ojukwu's sacrifice and why we are where we are. Awolowo in his quest to rule Nigeria for 'even one day' went ahead to plan a coupe' in our neigbouring country to overthrow the Military Government and was also Betrayed by Jakande, just as he betrayed Ojukwu, his conversations were recorded and presented to the military junta, he was instructed to 'take the path of honor', He committed Suicide. This is truth and its bitter.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 9:58am On Mar 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

Are you from Ijebu like Awolpwo? Only Ijebus are true Yoruba according to awo (frog)

No I am a true born Lagosian from the royal family. I am half Awori(father) half Egun (mother).

I am not being a tribalist here, teach me and I would understand. I do not intend to stand on my point if I am ignorant here.

Tell me the positive impact Achebe achieve in the life of an average Nigerian. Give me good sensible achievements and I would drop this argument.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 10:00am On Mar 24, 2013
crimo4us: . Nobel prize is the prize you get when you are the best in the world in a particular field of professionalism, Wole Soyinka got one and Achebe got none, both of them are literary icon.Wole Soyinka got the prize for literature not activism.Measure greateness in professionalism with achievement.
Nobel prize is a price awarded by white racist folks. Nobel lost its value when they denied Achebe the award. Nobel or none Achebe has the highest ever selling literary work in Africa and has been crowned the father of African literature . That's what we call achievement not some award by some fat old racist folks in Norway.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 24, 2013
While I do not want to attempt answering the OP's question, I'll want to address the sentiment around his last book "There Was A Country".
1. Despite what PCA may have written about Awolowo, the crux of the matter is if he lied in his book. Even great leaders like Awolowo may have at one time or the other, taken a decision that may not be the best for everyone; and telling the story of that decision doesn't make a writer bigoted.
2. Did TWAC really 'cause' renewed hatred between the Igbos and Yorubas. I don't think so. The tense enmity has always existed between ethnic groups in Nigeria; and these 2 groups are not exempted from this ethnic hatred syndrome.
Moreso, memories of a painful past never really go away completely. You will never forget who's responsible for you not being able to access quality education because your father's wealth was devalued simply because of his ethnic group. In the same manner, the Blacks will never forget the history of slavery; I remember seeing someone who was so mad with white folks after he watched the movie Django Unchained - and he sure gave a piece of his mind to his expatriate colleagues at work about their ancestors' cruelty to Africans.
3. Finally, I think the book TWAC should remind us of how we have harmed each other (and ourselves in return) in the past; and may serve as a compass for the national unity and progress we all clamour for but which seems to have eluded us for the past few decades.

Alas! There Was An Author #TWAA. RIP literary icon, Albert Chínụ̀álụmọ̀gụ̀ Àchèbé; 16 November 1930 – 21 March 2013.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by denitro(m): 10:01am On Mar 24, 2013
Our Yansh: Aside poisoning the hearts and minds of the younger generation of a Nation he had no belief in, he did well as a literary giant. I also appreciate his stance on issues of governance, corruption and transparency. If only he had kept his bigotry in check, Achebe would have qualified to be a Nigerian hero, but his final shots placed him as an IBO hero.

RIP Prof..

Hmmmm
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by aljharem(m): 10:01am On Mar 24, 2013
Billyonaire: The impact is simple. He told the truth about Awolowo's betrayal, Ojukwu's sacrifice and why we are where we are. Awolowo in his quest to rule Nigeria for 'even one day' went ahead to plan a coupe' in our neigbouring country to overthrow the Military Government and was also Betrayed by Jakande, just as he betrayed Ojukwu, his conversations were recorded and presented to the military junta, he was instructed to 'take the path of honor', He committed Suicide. This is truth and its bitter.

[size=13pt]You see what I mean, you mentioned all these Awolowo did. NOW WAS ACHEBE THERE TO COMFIRM THIS FROM USA OR BAIFRA ??[/size]

Lets be realistic here and not swallow what every bigot throw at the table

IN fact that aside, what was his impact on the average Nigerian
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Efikman(m): 10:02am On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: grin now even ladies are not left out in this tribal war.

Onye nna ya dinyere ohi na eji ukwu agbaka ozo, and we nod in satisfaction. The rest doesn't matter.
Gbam!!! You are a true daughter of your father cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (37) (Reply)

70% Of Nigerian Politicians Are Lunatics – Peter Obi / Presidency: Osinbajo Issues Directive To Staff Appointed Into Tinubu’s Campaign / Tinubu Campaign Team Unhappy With Soyinka's Response To Pyrates Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.