Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,629 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? (3340 Views)

You Can't Insult The North And Stay In Power-knwankwaso / I Won't Insult The President Again BUT I Will Speak The Truth / We Should Introduce A Law That Punishes Those Who Insult The President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by thelastPope(m): 1:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
If there is one thing I like about the current political landscape, it is the way information that have been suppressed for decades are coming to the fore. We must resolve our differences or go our separate ways
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by ypzilanti: 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
Sentiments and tribalism are the only reasons why anyone would ascribe a scathing critique about the nature and objective of ONE MAN, to the nature and objectives of his tribe.

Awolowo is not a Yoruba diety that is beyond reproach. Just like IBB has to forever answer for the anullment of June 12, and OBJ will always have to explain his Odi invasion saga, Awolowo has his own cross to carry. That is the nature of leadership. Awo himself answered the allegations that were leveled against him more eloquently than the half educated fools trolling Nairaland. The allegations are not new. The tribal warriors are just pissed that a man of Achebe's stature gave prominence to the allegations.

Bunch of fools. Please tell me also: If I insult GEJ, have I insulted all Ijaw people? Am I a bigot?

1 Like

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by omonnakoda: 5:17pm On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

Imagine this[b] low IQ having ape[/b] from naija talking to me about bad English. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I'm your God when it comes to the use of English.

Record a voice note and pronounce Southwark and Greenwich. cheesy cheesy

I'm waiting.
Your grammar is poor and your consciousness egregious. You need to get a handle on who you are really. "Pronounce Southwark" ? You were joking right?
Do not deceive yourself with your contrived and conceited bluster, your English standard is below average though it might be distinguished in Southwark it does not fool anyone here.
What was that again, "low IQ having"? Is that supposed to be "cool"? . You are a silly little boy

1 Like

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by Didi8: 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
Go to page 233. Read the page and get back to tell us what that page said. Am not sure you read the book.

1 Like

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by omonnakoda: 9:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe set back any repair in Eboe /Yoruba relations another generation. What he has made sure is the Yoruba now know; (if they had out of carelessness or excessive goodwill forgotten) the Eboe bears a grudge against ALL Yoruba and Awolowo is the personification of that. That is why they lost so many lives and the Biafra struggle. They blame him and the Yoruba for that.The scale of the loss and its Psychic impact was of such devastation that they needed and will forever need that Awolowo/Yoruba narrative to explain their defeat. We must be vigilant and in my view proactive even. Achebe's purpose was to entrench that bitterness and mistrust. He succeeded even more than he could have imagined. The Yoruba are forewarned and we will respond.It is not our nature to act or react rashly but we know the Eboe can NEVER be a friend.
They believe we are enemies and it is stupid to protest otherwise.We must do everything possible to validate and confirm their beliefs so as to justify their hatred.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by tomakint: 10:02pm On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

Imagine this low IQ having ape from naija talking to me about bad English. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I'm your God when it comes to the use of English.

Record a voice note and pronounce Southwark and Greenwich. cheesy cheesy

I'm waiting.
You are a full breed goat, what an empty chest beating from a loud-mouth! So much for your 'mastery in English Language' indeed undecided
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
bittyend:

So basically because I misspelled 'wrote' as 'write' you went on a tirade about my use of English, when you actually don't understand the basics of the language. You don't even know how to use punctuation marks; you can't spell for shiit; and your sentence construction is one of the worst I have seen on this forum. You write like a typical Nigerian who writes the way he/she speaks with an accent.

You're not on my level!!

Don't indulge those lost souls any more, once they no longer have anything meaningful to post they usually resort to pettiness such spelling mistakes etc.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by aurenflani: 11:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
thelastPope: You know what is really funny?

1. Hausa/Fulani will never marry Yoruba

2. Igbo and Yorubas are inter-marrying at a crazy rate

3. Hausa/Fulani always insult Yorubas.

4. You cannot find an Igbo leader insult Yorubas

5. But Yorubas will always allign with the Hausa/Fulani in government

6. And Igbos will always allign with Hausa/Fulanis in business

Theres something really wrong here!

Leave your village and set out on an exploratory sojourn and discover for yourself that no.1 assertion of yours. Maybe Agege will be a starting point.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by omonnakoda: 12:02am On Mar 25, 2013
bittyend: I bet you're going to say: 'Sawteewerk' and 'Gireenwish'. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Young man I wonder why you have so much self loathing. It is clear you are young and probably immature for your age. People speak and write English all over the world and speak with whatever accent they are accultured to. If you have any degree of international exposure you should know this by now
There is no shame in speaking with a Nigerian accent if you are Nigerian. In fact I am proud of Nigerians who do this!
"Who uses whom in this day and age?" you ask. Those who know how and when to use it is the simle riposte.
Written English knows no accent and it is the proof of schooling and there is no substitute for this. "Whom" is not by any measure an archaic word as you ignorantly argue just one whose subtle nuances elude you. By the way there is no such thing as "No accent" EVERYONE has an accent. Even in the UK there are several; from Scouse to Geordie or Mackam to Brummie not to mention your "Hallowed" Southwark.
Believe me when it comes to the use of written English Nigerians are peerless if one wanted to boast but modestly I would say we hold our own against anyone and do not need to know how to pronounce Greenwich any more than London urchins (such as you) need to know how to pronounce Abakaliki.
I suggest you work on your self esteem because it clearly is a problem. We on this side are Nigerian and not trying to be anything else. All the best in Greenwich
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 12:04am On Mar 25, 2013
@Topic, no. He did not insult Yorubas but spoke nice of them. E.g, Amos Tutola, Solarin, Soyinka, Jacoab Ade-Ajayi, Hubert Ogunde etc.
Go and figure.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by ndiofeajoka: 12:09am On Mar 25, 2013
Because of soyinka and other few yorubas, only a fool would believe that he did.
Achebe is way beyond the mental capacity of those accusing him.

1 Like

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by CyberG: 12:23am On Mar 25, 2013
thelastPope: @CyberG,

Even after modifying your post like 4 times, you still came out sounding like a toddler. Grow up and enjoy a good debate. Stop sounding like an Agbero. Give the free education some worth. angry

LOL..you need glasses for your eyes and brain if you see modifications when I have not even been on here since the post. It seems someone is MAD that he cannot re-write history or feed BS to NL without being called out. You lost the plot forever over 40 years ago...deal with it and no one cares what one-sided, bigoted iboz choose to say or believe: it doesn't change history! grin grin
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 12:27am On Mar 25, 2013
ndiofeajoka: Because of soyinka and other few yorubas, only a fool would believe that he did.
Achebe is way beyond the mental capacity of those accusing him.

word
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by dayokanu(m): 12:31am On Mar 25, 2013
thelastPope: 5. But Yorubas will always allign with the Hausa/Fulani in government

You can choose your opinion you cannot choose your fatcs

The Facts in Nigerian political history has it that In our previous civilian dispensations

Nnamadi Azikwe a Heebo aligned with Balewa of the NPC Northern peoples congress in 1960

Alex Ekwueme a heebo aligned with Shagari of the NPN in 1979

Syylvester Ugoh another Heebo aligned with bashir Tofa of the NRC in 1993

Chuba Okadigbo another Heebo aligned with Mohamaddu Buhari of the ANPP in 2003

Ume Ezeoke another Heebo aligned with Muhamadu Buhari of the ANPP in 2007

Ben Obi another Heebo aligned with Atiku Abubakar of the AC in 2007

In all these cases the Igbos were the junior partners in the alliance
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by AndreUweh(m): 12:40am On Mar 25, 2013
thelastPope: After reading the book, There was a country, I couldnt find anywhere Chinua Achebe insulted the Yorubas as alleged. So please can anyone explain where he insulted the Yorubas?

His account of Awo's involvement in the civil war did not contain any insult or ridicule of the Yorubas. It also didnt contain any thing that could make us tag Achebe a bigot. Awo made both good and bad decisions in his time as minister. Anyone can comment on those decisions, including Achebe. How that translates into insulting the Yorubas is something I can't understand. That was simply his account of the war and it is open to debate. It can even be faulted by superior argument. He had a right to his opinion. However, I am concerned that after so much shout on this forum, one would have thought he actually insulted the Yorubas, but, from the contents of the book, he didnt.

Or maybe there is another version of the book that I am not aware of?
He didn't do it.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by drake2(m): 12:43am On Mar 25, 2013
bittyend: Gosh, why am I even bothering with these two monkeys with blinkered brains?

Phu.ck out of my face, you Igbotic monkeys. You can't troll me.

Just know I'm a God when it comes to the use of English. cheesy

Go troll your mom in her village hut!

u reminded me of an ape in d zoological garden @ d university of ibadan. its name was "Makinde".

now dat sounds like a yoruba ape; isn't interesting 2 learn abt igbo ape on ds thread?

do other tribal apes exist?

wat is it with name calling on Nairaland?

ignore d formatting of ds post, it was deliberate. thank u.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by thelastPope(m): 8:03am On Mar 25, 2013
dayokanu:

You can choose your opinion you cannot choose your fatcs

The Facts in Nigerian political history has it that In our previous civilian dispensations

Nnamadi Azikwe a Heebo aligned with Balewa of the NPC Northern peoples congress in 1960

Alex Ekwueme a heebo aligned with Shagari of the NPN in 1979

Syylvester Ugoh another Heebo aligned with bashir Tofa of the NRC in 1993

Chuba Okadigbo another Heebo aligned with Mohamaddu Buhari of the ANPP in 2003

Ume Ezeoke another Heebo aligned with Muhamadu Buhari of the ANPP in 2007

Ben Obi another Heebo aligned with Atiku Abubakar of the AC in 2007

In all these cases the Igbos were the junior partners in the alliance

Choosing a vice presidential candidate is not the same thing as a region or tribe alligning in government. In 1979, when Ekwume was Shagari's VP, Zik had his own party, the NPP. So the Igbos did not allign with the Hausas.

In 2003, when Chuba Ukadigbo was VP candidate to Buhari, the Igbos voted PDP. Again, no alligning there too.

Same can be said of about every example you mentioned. When I talk about allignment, I am talking about two groups coming together to make sacrifices and contributions for both of their benefits. It is always difficult for the Igbo as a group to allign with other regions in government because of their independent mindset. Achebe actually criticized the Igbo on that. But in business, its a different ball game as the relationship is usually between individuals.

What I did in that post is to show that:

1. The Igbos and Yorubas actually live well together socially and are closer in terms of customs and beliefs.
2. But they both ignore each other politically and will even fight against each other if need be
3. But unfortunately, they both try to allign with the Hausa/Fulani who happen to be the real oppresor that wants everyone under them.

We all seem to ignore the open secret that the british actually told the north to cling on to power by all means. That to me is enough reason for the Igbo and Yoruba to allign political and eventually free themselves, but they are doing the opposite.

It is a fact that the Yorubas did scuttle the Aburi accord which would have had us go our separate ways and everything would have been different today. The Yorubas need to admit that fact so wounds can be healed and we can move on.

Going forward, the whole south needs to allign and free themselves. Interestingly, the Yorubas are talking about regional integration but are alligning with the Hausa/Fulani that will never support that kind of concept. Buhari scuttled the Lagos light rail project just because it will take Lagos to another level.
Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by Paschal007: 10:19am On Mar 25, 2013
I thought this thread would have been debunked NL tribal warlords. After 80 posts they are yet to show where Achebe insulted Yorubas? Why were they insulting the late Professor? Quite a shame

1 Like

Re: Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? by dayokanu(m): 2:14pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ignorance on display what has Awolowo got to do with Aburi. When he was in jail at the time.

In Nigeria politics Igbos have never been in opposition to their Hausa overlords in every political terrain they always vote for the Hausa central party from 1960 They voted NPC NPN NRC PDP etc

That was why Shagari called Zik a prostitute a harlot

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Hacked Nairaland And Have They Stolen 1 Million Plus User Data / IJEBU STATE: Ikorodu, Epe And Ajah Carve Back To The Map / Five Ridiculous Things That Happens In Nollywood Movies (must See)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.