Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,773 members, 7,813,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Mentrual Cycle Ad - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mentrual Cycle Ad (4054 Views)

Buhari Changes Into A Leopard On New AIT Ad / Goodluck Jonathan Compared To Idi Amin In Aggressive APC Ad / Price Of Ad Paid For By Fayose! (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 9:43pm On Apr 01, 2008
funny enough the women are the ones speaking against the ad.

As I understand the points of kobojunkie and other males, I will kindly speak from experience.

I didn't start using pads until I came to the US, even after that, all that I was provided from mummy was toilet paper and the cheap one at that matter. IT DID NOT STOP ME FROM GOING TO SCHOOL AND IT DIDN'T STOP THE OTHER GIRLS WHO COULDN'T AFFORD IT EITHER. I am sick and tired of menstruation being used as an excuse. Yes, the "intention" of the company appears to be good, but don't be surprised if it isn't. Africa has been exploited, the last thing we need to see in a world that already thinks lowly of the continet is that some girls miss school because of their period. That's the only annoying part. If they want to donate pads to these girls, then great. But to open the thought of girls missing school because of it to this part of the world is not proper.
Let's not forget these are people that still think we walk around naked. abi them never ask u where u buy cloth when u come from Africa? them don ask me o.

Thank you very much. It's like when they teach us in school back in Naija that Mungo Park discovered river Niger when it was obvious that people living in the riverine area has been taking their shower and drinking water way before mungo park was born.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2008
By bigB1,
And I predict that many of these folks will be returning home one by one as soon as the gas prices rise up to 7 dollars per gallon.

Lmao, your prayers no go work.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 9:46pm On Apr 01, 2008
By Ndipe,
I don't know of any Nigerian girl, from a less privileged background who would shove their face away from Always for attempting to help them out. Needlelady, please you are no ambassador of these girls.

I can afford a pad but most American  and Funmi women will not shy away from a free one, how about that?

Again, If Always is that merciful, they can as well go to Africa and build a factory for pads.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Lady2(f): 9:48pm On Apr 01, 2008
And I predict that many of these folks will be returning home one by one as soon as the gas prices rise up to 7 dollars per gallon

HAHAHA, as soon as e reach $4 per gallon I don pack my load go o

I can afford a pad but most American and Funmi women will not shy away from a free one, how about that?

Again, If Always is that merciful, they can as well go to Africa and build a factory for pads.

THANK YOU. na today women start menstruation? Wetin happen when dem dey farm? They couldn't be embarrased then either?
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by texazzpete(m): 9:59pm On Apr 01, 2008
Racist people.

And no, i'm not talking about 'Americans', or 'Westerners'.
i'm talking about the Nigerians on this thread (4him et al) that use the generalizing terms 'Whites' and 'foreigners' in a disparaging manner. That's subtle racism at it's finest.

It might do y'all some good to finally realise that seeing enemies behind every white face was probably what led Zimbabwe and Mugabe down the disastrous path of economic ruin.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Apr 01, 2008
texazzpete:

Racist people.

And no, i'm not talking about 'Americans', or 'Westerners'.
i'm talking about the Nigerians on this thread (4him et al) that use the generalizing terms 'Whites' and 'foreigners' in a disparaging manner. That's subtle racism at it's finest.

It might do y'all some good to finally realise that seeing enemies behind every white face was probably what led Zimbabwe and Mugabe down the disastrous path of economic ruin.

, and every deed done by white cooperations and organizations in general,
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Apr 01, 2008
~Lady~:

funny enough the women are the ones speaking against the ad.

As I understand the points of kobojunkie and other males, I will kindly speak from experience.

I didn't start using pads until I came to the US, even after that, all that I was provided from mummy was toilet paper and the cheap one at that matter. IT DID NOT STOP ME FROM GOING TO SCHOOL AND IT DIDN'T STOP THE OTHER GIRLS WHO COULDN'T AFFORD IT EITHER. I am sick and tired of menstruation being used as an excuse. Yes, the "intention" of the company appears to be good, but don't be surprised if it isn't. Africa has been exploited, the last thing we need to see in a world that already thinks lowly of the continet is that some girls miss school because of their period. That's the only annoying part. If they want to donate pads to these girls, then great. But to open the thought of girls missing school because of it to this part of the world is not proper.
Let's not forget these are people that still think we walk around naked. abi them never ask u where u buy cloth when u come from Africa? them don ask me o. grin

You do realize that you may have been able to afford toilet roll but not everyone is able to afford that in Africa and definitely not everyone shares the same experiences as you do. I am glad you were able to afford that but I, from experience remember when we could not even afford toilet roll to wipe out butts with in my house, let alone toilet roll to be used for periods in my house. Still, you all do not speak for all African women and I still say that instead of criticizing efforts to help those that YOU YOURSELF HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP or have little clue of, you should maybe shut up and just allow those who can to do WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER they can.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Lady2(f): 3:37am On Apr 02, 2008
You do realize that you may have been able to afford toilet roll but not everyone is able to afford that in Africa and definitely not everyone shares the same experiences as you do. I am glad you were able to afford that but I, from experience remember when we could not even afford toilet roll to wipe out butts with in my house, let alone toilet roll to be used for periods in my house. Still, you all do not speak for all African women and I still say that instead of criticizing efforts to help those that YOU YOURSELF HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP or have little clue of, you should maybe shut up and just allow those who can to do WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER they can.

and before toilet roll nko, wetin dem get? nonsense. You speak as if you experience periods yourself. Look even people with pads still have accidents. Point is it doesn't stop u from going to school. You can have an accident, FULL STOP. PAD OR NO PAD, ACCIDENT IS PRONE TO HAPPEN, it is still embarrassment. So no it doesn't stop from going to school. So if dem no go school, aren't they somewhere? What about the embarrassment whereever they are? You want to tell me these girls stay locked up in their houses or rooms (girls do get embarrased with their families) for 3 to 7 days? RUBBISH. "WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER" is what gives others the right to hold us in debt (am not saying kindness isn't good), but with what intention is this "kindness". The US want to build a base in West Africa and their base is on kindness to help keep control of the area, we all know they have other motives, so "WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER" is not always in the best interest of those being helped.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 3:47am On Apr 02, 2008
You do realize that you may have been able to afford toilet roll but not everyone is able to afford that in Africa and definitely not everyone shares the same experiences as you do.  I am glad you were able to afford that but I, from experience remember when we could not even afford toilet roll to wipe out butts with in my house, let alone toilet roll to be used for periods in  my house. Still, you all do not speak for all African women and I still say that instead of criticizing efforts to help those that YOU YOURSELF HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP or have little clue of, you should maybe shut up and just allow those who can to do WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER they can.
You sound more like the type  that will allow someone put  faeces inside your mouth because he/she is footing your bills. That's pathetic; Up till now, you are yet to provide a conclusive evidence that girls do miss school in Africa not because of school fees or other things but  their period and it's an emergency issue that should be adressed pronto, I remember an AA girl sarcastically telling me online one day that we should be thankful to Oprah for educating African women because they'd have ended up illiterates if not for her efforts. Meanwhile she sounds like she barely got a high school diploma which is like pancake in Nigeria.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Ndipe(m): 4:18am On Apr 02, 2008
Another School Barrier for African Girls: No Toilet

By SHARON LaFRANIERE

Vanessa Vick for The New York Times

Fatimah Bamun, 14, is the only girl in her fourt-grade class in Balizenda, Ethiopia, where a lack of sanitation threatens education for girls. More Images / Related text: Slavery in the family

BALIZENDA, Ethiopia - Fatimah Bamun dropped out of Balizenda Primary School in first grade, more than three years ago, when her father refused to buy her pencils and paper. Only after teachers convinced him that his daughter showed unusual promise did he relent. Today Fatimah, 14, tall and slender, studies math and Amharic, Ethiopia's official language, in a dirt-floored fourth-grade classroom.

Whether she will reach fifth grade is another matter. Fatimah is facing the onset of puberty, and with it the realities of menstruation in a school with no latrine, no water, no hope of privacy other than the shadow of a bush, and no girlfriends with whom to commiserate. Fatimah is the only girl of the 23 students in her class. In fact, in a school of 178 students, she is one of only three girls who has made it past third grade.

Even the women among the school's teachers say they have no choice but to use the thorny scrub, in plain sight of classrooms, as a toilet.

"It is really too difficult," said Azeb Beyene, who arrived here in September to teach fifth grade. Here and throughout sub-Saharan Africa, schoolgirls can only empathize. In a region where poverty, tradition and ignorance deprive an estimated 24 million girls even of an elementary school education, the lack of school toilets and water is one of many obstacles to girls' attendance, and until recently was considered unfit for discussion. In some rural communities in the region, menstruation itself is so taboo that girls are prohibited from cooking or even banished to the countryside during their periods.

But that impact is substantial. Researchers throughout sub-Saharan Africa have documented that lack of sanitary pads, a clean, girls-only latrine and water for washing hands drives a significant number of girls from school. The United Nations Children's Fund, for example, estimates that one in 10 school-age African girls either skips school during menstruation or drops out entirely because of lack of sanitation.

The average schoolgirl's struggle for privacy is emblematic of the uphill battle for public education in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly among girls. With slightly more than 6 in 10 eligible children enrolled in primary school, the region's enrollment rates are the lowest in the world.

Beyond that, enrollment among primary school-aged girls is 8 percent lower than among boys, according to the United Nations Children's Fund, Unicef. And of those girls who enroll, 9 percent more drop out before the end of sixth grade than boys.

African girls in poor, rural areas like Balizenda are even more likely to lose out. The World Bank estimated in 1999 that only one in four of them was enrolled in primary school.

The issue, advocates for children say, is not merely fairness. The World Bank contends that if women in sub-Saharan Africa had equal access to education, land, credit and other assets like fertilizer, the region's gross national product could increase by almost one additional percentage point annually. Mark Blackden, one of the bank's lead analysts, said Africa's progress was inextricably linked to the fate of girls.

"There is a connection between growth in Africa and gender equality," he said. "It is of great importance but still ignored by so many."

The pressure on girls to drop out peaks with the advent of puberty and the problems that accompany maturity, like sexual harassment by male teachers, ever growing responsibilities at home and parental pressure to marry. Female teachers who could act as role models are also in short supply in sub-Saharan Africa: they make up a quarter or less of the primary school teachers in 12 nations, according to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

Florence Kanyike, the Uganda coordinator for the Forum of Women Educationalists, a Nairobi-based organization that lobbies for education for girls, said the harsh inconvenience of menstruation in schools without sanitation was just one more reason for girls to stay home.

They miss three or four days of school," she said. "They find themselves lagging behind, and because they don't perform well, their interest fails. They start to think, 'What are we doing here?' The biggest number of them drop out in year five or six."

Increasingly, international organizations, African education ministries and the continent's fledgling women's rights movements are rallying behind the notion of a "girl friendly" school, one that is more secure and closer to home, with a healthy share of female teachers and a clean toilet with a door and water for washing hands.

In Guinea, enrollment rates for girls from 1997 to 2002 jumped 17 percent after improvements in school sanitation, according to a recent Unicef report. The dropout rate among girls fell by an even bigger percentage. Schools in northeastern Nigeria showed substantial gains after Unicef and donors built thousands of latrines, trained thousands of teachers and established school health clubs, the agency contends.

Ethiopia has also made strides. More than 6 in 10 girls of primary-school age are enrolled in school this year, compared with fewer than 4 in 10 girls in 1999. Still, boys are far ahead, with nearly 8 in 10 of them enrolled in primary school.

Unicef is building latrines and bringing clean water to 300 Ethiopian schools. But more than half of the nation's 13,181 primary schools lack water, more than half lack latrines and some lack both. Moreover, those with latrines may have just one for 300 students, Therese Dooley, Unicef's sanitation project officer, said. In theory, at least, outfitting Ethiopia's schools with basic facilities can be cheap and simple, she said. Toilets need be little more than pits and concrete slabs with walls and a door; rain can be trapped on a school's roof and strained through sand.

Still, she said, toilets for boys and girls must be clearly separate and students who may have never seen a latrine must be taught the importance of using one. And the toilets must be kept clean, a task that frequently falls to the very schoolgirls who were supposed to benefit most.

In Benishangul Gumuz Province in western Ethiopia, where low mountains rise over brilliant yellow fields of oilseeds, such amenities are rare indeed. Guma, a town of 13,000 about an hour's drive from Balizenda over a viciously rutted road, has water only sporadically. The town's main street is dotted with shops, but not one sells sanitary pads. Few residents could afford them anyway. Women make do with folded rags.

Balizenda primary school, with 178 students, is a long, litter-strewn building in a dirt clearing surrounded by brush. Two lopsided reed-walled huts pass for fifth- and sixth-grade classrooms. On the playground soccer field, three tree limbs lashed together form the goal.

With the exception of the first grade, where girls are more than a third of the pupils, Balizenda could be mistaken for an all-boys' school. Only 13 girls are enrolled in grades two through six, and even that is an improvement over three months ago.

"When I came here in September, there was not a single female student" in the entire school, said Tisge Tsegaw, 22, the first-grade teacher. "We went to the homes and motivated the parents, and then they came."

But in many cases, not for long. "The parents prioritize. They figure if the girls stay home, they can do the grinding, help with the harvesting, fetch the water and collect the firewood," Ms. Tsegaw said. "They agree to enroll them. Then after two months, they take them back."

The school's latrine, a hovel of thatch and reeds, fell down last year. Yehwala Mesfin, the school's director, said neither the villagers nor the Education Ministry would help build a new one. Parents viewed their annual rebuilding of the reed-walled fifth- and sixth-grade classrooms as a sufficient contribution, he said.

Ms. Beyene, the fifth-grade teacher who arrived here in September, said she agreed to stay at Balizenda only after Mr. Mesfin promised that she could use a toilet at a health center nearby. But since then, the health center has been closed for lack of staff.

"The majority of time I use the open field," she said. "There is no privacy. Everybody comes, even the students. So we try to restrict ourselves to urinate before school and at nighttime. I already have a kidney infection because of this. My situation is getting worse."

The school's only sixth-grade girls, Mesert Mesfin, 17, and Worknesh Anteneh, 15, said that when they could not resist nature's call, they stood guard for each other in the field. When her period began one recent Thursday morning, Mesert said, she had no choice but to run home. Worknesh said she sometimes avoided school during her period. "It is really a shame," she said. "I am really bothered by this."

Fatimah Bamun, who started school so late that at 14 she is only in fourth grade, said she did not want to miss a single class because she wanted to be a teacher. But, she added, she does not have a lot of backing from her friends.

"I have no friend in the class," she said. "Most of my friends have dropped out to get married. So during the break, I just sit in the classroom and read."

Her father, however, now says he is fully behind her. "The people from the government are all the time telling us to send our daughters to school, and I am listening to these people," he said.

Neither Fatimah's older sister nor mother went to school. And Fatimah is all too familiar with the alternatives for illiterate girls. When she returns home after school each day, she is greeted by another girl, named Eko, who lives in her hut. Thin and poorly dressed, 12 years old at most, Eko is literally a wedding present, given to the Bamuns when Fatimah's sister married Eko's brother.

Before the wedding, Eko was an avid second grader. "I liked school very much; it would have been better to stay in school," she said quietly, picking at her callused hands. Now she is the Bamun family servant, up at sunrise to pound sorghum with a stone for the breakfast porridge. Her education is vicarious.

"She always asks me, 'When are you going to school?' " Fatimah said. " 'What do you do there? What subjects do you study?' "

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company. Reprinted from The New York Times, International, of Friday, December 23, 2005.                                                 

Wehaitians.com, the scholarly journal of democracy and human rights

More from wehaitians.com

Main / Columns / Books And Arts / Miscellaneous

http://www.wehaitians.com/another%20school%20barrier%20for%20girls%20in%20sub%20saharan%20africa%20no%20toilet.html

Ndipe's comment.
Word!
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Ndipe(m): 4:26am On Apr 02, 2008
Another one validating our earlier stance that lack of sanitary products can interfere with a girl's day to day activities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4816558.stm
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 5:29am On Apr 02, 2008
@Ndipe,
Why is the lack of toilet not affecting African boys too or don't boys use the loo?
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 6:23am On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

You sound more like the type  that will allow someone put  faeces inside your mouth because he/she is footing your bills. That's pathetic; Up till now, you are yet to provide a conclusive evidence that girls do miss school in Africa not because of school fees or other things but  their period and it's an emergency issue that should be adressed pronto, I remember an AA girl sarcastically telling me online one day that we should be thankful to Oprah for educating African women because they'd have ended up illiterates if not for her efforts. Meanwhile she sounds like she barely got a high school diploma which is like pancake in Nigeria.

But wait,  you have never since the beginning of this made it about actually providing evidence for any claim you have made so far but have continued to feel that somehow cause you do not believe it is not so means it is Not so for all. This report was supposedly put together by an african. If you like you can also label the writer EVIL too cause the person does not see Africa through the glasses that you call your own life.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2008/03/24/for-girls-in-sub-saharan-africa-menstruation-can-be-a-curse

Once again, stop assuming that your life is the mirror of life in Africa for all. I have myself had to witness the use of rags for such in my time growing up in Nigeria and how those rags can get really dirty, real fast. I also know that you can only have so many rags a day to deal with this. Unless you are going to tell me next that these women go out to buy 3 yards of cloth each month to deal with their periods, I suggest you find yourself better things to deal with. If you do not know, this is a sensitive issue for most women that is why it is not all over the news of the world to convince people like you that the problem does exist. One with sense to put two and two together would at least figure out by now that in places such as zimbabwe, sudan and many of the places where people live on less than $1 a day(we are speaking of millions here), women and young ladies are not able to afford pads much and so are left to deal with these in crude unsanitary ways. If you have not figured out yet, let me help you with further information. People who live on less than a dollar or two a day are usually unable to purchase even toilet roll. I am sure you know that using cloth means their is no way for the odour to be released and since many also live in places where their is not enough water to take a bath a day, they have to deal with the stench as well.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Lady2(f): 6:38am On Apr 02, 2008
lol@ Kobojunkie trying to convince me as if I haven't been there. Point is it shouldn't be an excuse. Damn it I knew I had to get out of the situation I was in, so yes I had to be creative and find means to control it (no need to go into details there). I knew to never remain in the sitaution for the rest of my life, I had to suck it up and go to school and live life. It's hard I know, I've been there, but it can be done. I never said it doesn't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't be an excuse. I am also saying that the motive of the corporation may not always be in the best interest of those being helped.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 6:48am On Apr 02, 2008
~Lady~:

and before toilet roll nko, wetin them get? nonsense. You speak as if you experience periods yourself. Look even people with pads still have accidents. Point is it doesn't stop u from going to school. You can have an accident, FULL STOP. PAD OR NO PAD, ACCIDENT IS PRONE TO HAPPEN, it is still embarrassment. So no it doesn't stop from going to school. So if them no go school, aren't they somewhere? What about the embarrassment whereever they are? You want to tell me these girls stay locked up in their houses or rooms (girls do get embarrased with their families) for 3 to 7 days? RUBBISH. "WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER" is what gives others the right to hold us in debt (am not saying kindness isn't good), but with what intention is this "kindness". The US want to build a base in West Africa and their base is on kindness to help keep control of the area, we all know they have other motives, so "WHAT THEY CAN HOWEVER" is not always in the best interest of those being helped.

So let me guess, For you, people should continue with the old way even when YOU yourself are easily living with the new amenities that are readily available to you?? How caring of you. You must have a sweet heart there to make such a statement. Why don't we also continue with old cultures like genital mutilation as birth control methods for women?? Or even, pull out method as STD and pregnancy control methods. WOW. I am amazed that you know what is better for africans than the people actually stepping up to help give these women a better opportunity in life do.

Again, instead of being quick to judge those who are actually trying to do something about a problem that you for one seem to have no knowledge of it's existence,I would ask or urge you to please take a trip throught your africa to discover fact from fiction. Have you ever wondered how women living in refugee camps around the world deal with their periods?? I mean, please try. They are living in cramped spaces and their periods do not actually say " Oh, I will not come cause you are living in a refugee camp" and how do you think they cope with these things when they fled their homes with barely nothing?? Just a thought. I mean many of these women get an opportunity to go to school on some of these refugee camps. Do you think that to them their period is like walking up to the mystery supermarket on the  refugee camp to purchase these sanitary products with money they magically get??

Please, get out there and see what life really is in your africa. It is my request of you women especially cause it is too easy to assume that what you find easy to deal with also comes easy for all women. I have in my time here in America met my share of ladies and guys from even africa who do not have good habits when it comes to cleanliness. I remember having to teach some people as an africa that they need to brush at least once a day so as to help reduce mouth of odour. I have even had to teach one or two about the wonders of DEODORANT and you think that all persons automatically know of PADS and stuff like this ?? Instead of coming at this from the SHAME-FILLED persons perspective, maybe you should try being more human and understand that not all AFRICANS are like you, with all that knowledge of how things work and what is available to help with what.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 6:53am On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

@Ndipe,
Why is the lack of toilet not affecting African boys too or don't boys use the loo?

Interesting, Are you going to ask next why fat and low self esteem affects women more than it affects men?? Are you really a woman??

~Lady~:

lol@ Kobojunkie trying to convince me as if I haven't been there. Point is it shouldn't be an excuse. Damn it I knew I had to get out of the situation I was in, so yes I had to be creative and find means to control it (no need to go into details there). I knew to never remain in the sitaution for the rest of my life, I had to suck it up and go to school and live life. It's hard I know, I've been there, but it can be done. I never said it doesn't happen. I'm saying it shouldn't be an excuse. I am also saying that the motive of the corporation may not always be in the best interest of those being helped.

This is not about you knowing that you had to find better ways. You knew and had KNOWLEDGE and even better access to ways of managing your situation better. There are millions of Africans who, again, can not even AFFORD a day's meal and definitely can not afford pads. To them, it is not an excuse, it is the only way for them to deal; it is the only way for them to avoid embarassment; it is the only way available to them. They do not have dollars stocked up somewhere to use for pads; they do not have an allowance to help them each month with these things. I mean come on, aren't you human?? I mean even here in the united states, you think the woman living on the street with barely anything to eat always makes sure she has $5 bucks each month for pad?? I mean these are lucky that the food banks give them access to these things for free and so the reason why we do not see much of these things happening with women who live on the streets here but we are speaking of Africa where there are no food banks for women living in abject poverty and there are no supermarkets with sanitary supplies for people living on refugee camps. How much cloth do you think that people living in these places can get their hands on  Do you expect them to afford toilet roll even when they have barely had a good meal in months??
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2008
Interesting, Are you going to ask next why fat and low self esteem affects women more than it affects men?? Are you really a woman??

That's news to me. Fat and low esteem tends to affect women more because the society is focused on their physique more than men but it's gradually changing now, thats why you see lots of men with esteem issues nowadays.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2008
So let me guess, For you, people should continue with the old way even when YOU yourself are easily living with the new amenities that are readily available to you?? How caring of you. You must have a sweet heart there to make such a statement. Why don't we also continue with old cultures like genital mutilation as birth control methods for women?? Or even, pull out method as STD and pregnancy control methods. WOW. I am amazed that you know what is better for africans than the people actually stepping up to help give these women a better opportunity in life do.

Again, instead of being quick to judge those who are actually trying to do something about a problem that you for one seem to have no knowledge of it's existence,I would ask or urge you to please take a trip throught your africa to discover fact from fiction. Have you ever wondered how women living in refugee camps around the world deal with their periods?? I mean, please try. They are living in cramped spaces and their periods do not actually say " Oh, I will not come cause you are living in a refugee camp" and how do you think they cope with these things when they fled their homes with barely nothing?? Just a thought. I mean many of these women get an opportunity to go to school on some of these refugee camps. Do you think that to them their period is like walking up to the mystery supermarket on the refugee camp to purchase these sanitary products with money they magically get??

Please, get out there and see what life really is in your africa. It is my request of you women especially cause it is too easy to assume that what you find easy to deal with also comes easy for all women. I have in my time here in America met my share of ladies and guys from even africa who do not have good habits when it comes to cleanliness. I remember having to teach some people as an africa that they need to brush at least once a day so as to help reduce mouth of odour. I have even had to teach one or two about the wonders of DEODORANT and you think that all persons automatically know of PADS and stuff like this ?? Instead of coming at this from the SHAME-FILLED persons perspective, maybe you should try being more human and understand that not all AFRICANS are like you, with all that knowledge of how things work and what is available to help with what.

whatever! you are very belligerent.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

That's news to me. Fat and low esteem tends to affect women more because the society is focused on their physique more than men but it's gradually changing now, thats why you see lots of men with esteem issues nowadays.

Interesting,  So you couldn't apply this logic to the question you asked about toilets and women?? You never noticed that men are more open to stooping down along the road to do their thing than women are?? 

Needlelady:

whatever! you are very belligerent.

Oh my!!! I mean you came in attacking the AD with little knowledge that you have of africa's problems and you think I am the belligerant one in this case?? I have a friend who actually works with the UN in Uganda, If you would like some exposure to the real Africa, I can help you get her to give you a tour. Heck, you can actually step out of your comfort zone when next you are in Nigeria and go out there to see what life is really like for many Nigerians ( Over 75 million of them were reported last year to be VERY POOR) as in living below $1 a day. They do exist right there in Nigeria if you are only willing to open up and look around to find them. LMAO!!!
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 5:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
Interesting, So you couldn't apply this logic to the question you asked about toilets and women?? You never noticed that men are more open to stooping down along the road to do their thing than women are??

Anatomically, men can easily pee beside the road without revealing anything than women and that is just that. When it comes to number 2, both genders have an equal piece of embarrasment in public.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

Anatomically, men can easily pee beside the road without revealing anything than women and that is just that. When it comes to number 2, both genders have an equal piece of embarrasment in public.

Maybe I should rephrase, you never noticed that men are freer with exposing themselves in public than women are?? I am not talking of number 1 or number 2. I am speaking of both, in general.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by idupaul: 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2008
Toilet paper ke, make una fear God ooo especially those of u that grew up on high end sanitary pads, even when i was young Nigeria had always had one cheap pad to buy,,,some were even vheaper than a roll of deluxe tissues.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 5:39pm On Apr 02, 2008
Maybe I should rephrase, you never noticed that men are freer with exposing themselves in public than women are?? I am not talking of number 1 or number 2. I am speaking of both, in general.
Yes, because most of them are perverts.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Lady2(f): 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2008

Again, instead of being quick to judge those who are actually trying to do something about a problem that you for one seem to have no knowledge of it's existence,I would ask or urge you to please take a trip throught your africa to discover fact from fiction. Have you ever wondered how women living in refugee camps around the world deal with their periods?? I mean, please try. They are living in cramped spaces and their periods do not actually say " Oh, I will not come cause you are living in a refugee camp" and how do you think they cope with these things when they fled their homes with barely nothing?? Just a thought. I mean many of these women get an opportunity to go to school on some of these refugee camps. Do you think that to them their period is like walking up to the mystery supermarket on the refugee camp to purchase these sanitary products with money they magically get??

Oya clap for yourself. You know me very well. NONSENSE. Didn't I say I went through the same thing, IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE, OR I CAN RELATE. But it never was an excuse. How do you expect me to trust them when we've been exploited so much. The damn health department should be doing something about it.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 6:33pm On Apr 02, 2008
~Lady~:

Oya clap for yourself. You know me very well. NONSENSE. Didn't I say I went through the same thing, IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE, OR I CAN RELATE. But it never was an excuse. How do you expect me to trust them when we've been exploited so much. The damn health department should be doing something about it.

No one is asking YOU in particular to trust them. Infact, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you. This has to do with those who are not able to help themselves having someone offering them a helping hand. SIMPLE!!!! It is not about making excuses ( for the life of me, I do not understand how a 10-16 year old being too ashamed to go to school cause she does not have some form of protection for her situation has anything to do with making excuses).

Look at the lives of people who join the ranks of terrorists or even rebels. Do you think they did so out of immediate trust? No, if you listen to how things seem to work these days, we are speaking of people who are desperate for change and even if the devil himself came to them to offer them while the so called "SAINTS" out there do not, they will go with the devil to get their need. I for one do not see why you decided to inject the word TRUST into this topic by the way and I certainly would not be willing to read any conspiracy theories about how pads are ways of giving african's cancer or something(I am sick of those idiotic stories so I urge that people spare me that crap please). If those of you who claim to know better and understand the intentions of these people better are not even able to understand the need of your own people, let alone work to provide those needs, you seriously have no right to shoot down the "devil" when he shows up to help those who you are not willing and able to help.

Have you gotten your own health department there in Nigeria alone to do anything about the hundreds of children who die each year from diseases they ought not to die from any more?? I can see how they will concern themselves more with providing the millions of kids in poor homes with sanitary supplies instead.LMAO!!!
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2008
By Kobojunkie,
This has to do with those who are not able to help themselves having someone offering them a helping hand. SIMPLE!!!! It is not about making excuses ( for the life of me, I do not understand how a 10-16 year old being too ashamed to go to school cause she does not have some form of protection for her situation has anything to do with making excuses).

Can you prove this helping hand situation? Do you have any statistics on how many pads they've supplied so far? Are you aware that these people can send just one trailer load of pads just to fulfil all righteousness but turn around and make tonnes of money from unsuspecting consumers? I am not against any form of charity, but don't play on my intelligence in the name of charity.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

Can you prove this helping hand situation? Do you have any statistics on how many pads they've supplied so far? Are you aware that these people can send just one trailer load of pads just to fulfil all righteousness but turn around and make tonnes of money from unsuspecting consumers? I am not against any form of charity, but don't play on my intelligence in the name of charity.

LMAO!!!! I think you should read my post again. What is wrong with them making money even as they help the poor?? You mean It is wrong for the poor to get free pads/food/water from these people just cause these people also make money doing their business and philantropic duties to their shareholders?? AaaarrggghH!!!! So according to you, they should NEVER make money at all even though it is money that is needed to fund such charities LMAO!!! I hope you SWEAR that you never BUY STOCKS or even own a business in all your life then. Do you think that even your own Health ministry, when it comes out to vaccinate children does not have plans to recoup all that money back some way so it can come back to same year to help those people again?? LMAO!!!

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L11280393.htm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17095866

Just to help you a bit, the billions of dollars in AIDS africa recieves each year, does not come from money plucked off of trees. People actually work to raise this money with hopes of providing the donors with some product or profit in return so that the next year, the same donors can come back to donate more. I say you should please stay away from what you do not understand. Like I said earlier, if the DEVIL is the only one able to provide the people with what they need, why in the world are YOU, THE SAINT, complaining when you can not and are not even willing to do for the people what they need of you??
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 9:59pm On Apr 02, 2008
LMAO!!!! I think you should read my post again. What is wrong with them making money even as they help the poor?? You mean It is wrong for the poor to get free pads/food/water from these people just cause these people also make money doing their business and philantropic duties to their shareholders?? AaaarrggghH!!!! So according to you, they should NEVER make money at all even though it is money that is needed to fund such charities LMAO!!! I hope you SWEAR that you never BUY STOCKS or even own a business in all your life then. Do you think that even your own Health ministry, when it comes out to vaccinate children does not have plans to recoup all that money back some way so it can come back to same year to help those people again?? LMAO!!!
The actual truth is that you are very sleek and slimy. Why not give a direct answer instead of running around the pepper tree. I never said charity organisations should not try to raise money but it's not profit oriented and that's why they are called NPO(non profit organisation), abi? and they are not also taxed by the govt.

Now, a business empire can decide to take part in charity(it reduces their taxes drastically) but it shouldnt be at the detriment of a continent; What sort of financial help will you be giving me if you rob and kill my brother to do it? I still maintain that Always has an ulterior motive, may finally spend less than $5K on that project after amassing over $300M from that campaign.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2008
Needlelady:

The actual truth is that you are very sleek and slimy. Why not give a direct answer instead of running around the pepper tree. I never said charity organisations should not try to raise money but it's not profit oriented and that's why they are called NPO(non profit organisation), abi? and they are not also taxed by the govt.

Now, a business empire can decide to take part in charity(it reduces their taxes drastically) but it shouldnt be at the detriment of a continent; What sort of financial help will you be giving me if you rob and kill my brother to do it? I still maintain that Always has an ulterior motive, may finally spend less than $5K on that project after amassing over $300M from that campaign.

I could in the same light tell you to put a sock in it since you are not doing any good for the people here but only willing to mouth off about how what the DEVILS in this case, according to you, are not doing it exactly the way you want it done. I have over and over given you direct answers but it seems you do not value those at all. ALWAYS is a corperation not a charitable organization and even so, charities work for their sponsors. Is that not direct enough for you?
If I get money from DELL, be sure that when I show up with the computers to give to the schools, I will make sure they know the computers were donated by the DELL and I would even get them discount deals should they need to purchase more computers after I am gone.

Do you know what a business empire is?? It is a company made up of 1000's of shareholders, ordinary people like you and I. Trying to demonize the company is the EVIL GAME people keep playing without understanding what business means. Procter and Gamble is literally owned by, not one group of EVIL PEOPLE in some boardroom somewhere but it is owned by thousands of shareholders all over the world, some who have their hands on maybe 1 or two shares of that company. If you have ever filed your taxes and tried to get deductions for donations you made, you might better understand what happens when companies give away and file for deductions. You do not get back 100% of what you give my dear. I have tried that over and over and no matter how much you give away, it does not all come back to you so please let go of the tax rebate card you are trying to play there. No matter how much they make, in the long run it is about helping people and at the same time making sure business does not fail cause of it.

I still maintain that the DEVIL that is able to help these people is by far better than the SAINTS and ANGELS out there who are quick to criticize without actually doing anything to help the people.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 12:02am On Apr 03, 2008
If you have ever filed your taxes and tried to get deductions for donations you made, you might better understand what happens when companies give away and file for deductions
Oh please, the company already has a percentage per pack they promised to give away to charity, so, they are practically not giving anything. It's like boosting your sales by over 25% when you promise to give 1% to the hungry and making an extra 30% sales from what you normally sell before even though nobody really cred to check what you are actually giving away. Do the math yourself? Very soon, conglomerates in Nigeria will follow suit.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Kobojunkie: 12:14am On Apr 03, 2008
Needlelady:

Oh please, the company already has a percentage per pack they promised to give away to charity, so, they are practically not giving anything. It's like boosting your sales by over 25% when you promise to give 1% to the hungry and making an extra 30% sales from what you normally sell before even though nobody really cred to check what you are actually giving away. Do the math yourself? Very soon, conglomerates in Nigeria will follow suit.

I have owned a business for a couple of years now. I have done the math. Giving away is a part of advertising as well as doing charity work at the same time. Sometimes it pays dividends, sometimes it does not but in the end, you can go home content that you helped people. Now again, when it comes to big businesses with 1000's of shareholders, giving away is good for them, for taxes and for the people who recieve it. This is done the way it is today so that they can have more to give away the next year as well. Example look at Warren buffet, the man who gave away about 40 billion last year, what do you think followed?? He made more and was propelled to the top of the list of richest people in the world. Does that mean The money he gave away does not matter?? THUNDER FIRE ANY MOUTH THAT MAKES SUCH A CLAIM. Did he gain from the good will?? Definitely?? Is God ANGRY AT HIM FOR DOING IT AS HE DID NOT. I am certain if God was angry at him, you and I would know by now. So, let the DEVIL continue to give please while the SAINTS learn to shut up when they are not willing to step up to do the job.
Re: Mentrual Cycle Ad by Needlelady(f): 12:42am On Apr 03, 2008
@Kobo, I hope you still remember this story below on 'helping African children' since you are a charity LovePeddler?

Prison 'likely' in Chad child row

The workers say they were assured that the children were orphans
Chad's interior minister has said six French aid workers are likely to go to prison after attempting to fly more than 100 children out of eastern Chad.
Ahmat Mahamat Bachir told the BBC that a judge was expected to lay charges of child abduction against the workers.

Ten other people have been detained, including seven Spanish crew of the plane that was to be used by the charity, known as Zoe's Ark.

The charity has denied it planned to sell the children for adoption.

It has said the 103 children are orphans from Sudan's war-torn Darfur region.

extras: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7067228.stm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan / See The Police Signboard I Saw Today / Biafra: Don’t Condemn IPOB – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.