Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas (22013 Views)

5 Funny Yet Annoying Things Nigerians Do At The Cinema / 10 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas / Can Uti Nwachukwu, Bryan Okwara & Ors Make “true Citizens” Fly In Cinemas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Owutu1(m): 2:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
ItsModella: Their loud laughter. Ok, that scene was funny, we get it. Can you now shut up so that we can hear what's coming next? No, they keep on laughing for the next 5 minutes. It's soooooo annoying.

The ones who do a commentary on the movie. They think its cool to analyze the movie while it's still going on. Sometimes, I just feel like landing a hard slap on their faces.
lolz cant stop laffin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by YoshiMaster: 2:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
At King Kong movie, palms shopping mall:

"Omo my guy u know see as that gorilla big"

"yes o, E big well well"

"Ahh, see as gorilla wan nack woman"

"Ahh, na bad guy be that"

"Why she no run"

"If na me ehh, I go pick race"

***Commentary provided by fellow Nigerian movie goers***
***Commentary may be exaggerated a bit, hehe wink***

4 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by madamebebe(f): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
Na persin wey don enter cinema go understand wetin you dey talk na cry..

Googoo the meaning of the word 'alas' ..
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by 1shortblackboy: 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
And by d way wat is happening to silverbird cinema port harcourt that place is is turning to a dump
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by chikeorji123(m): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thank GOD l have never been there b/c of my busy activities..in that case l will wait until it's comes up on dvd,relaxed at home to enjoy it quietly...Op thanks,u just save some dudes who might received thunderious slap!..
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by manny4life(m): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
These are not ONLY Nigerians, other do it as well...
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by xynerise: 2:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Sipping a bottle of coke till it gets to the bottom point while it produces annoying noise. undecided
Laughing like Hyenas. grin.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by xtremeinv(m): 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
[quote author=Jollof]My girl and I went to see Jack and the Beanstalk Jack the Giant Slayer last night and it was more entertaining than I had anticipated (Though I never noticed any female giants, which begs the question, 'How on earth were such a mythical army of 'males' born in the first place?). We arrived in good time, bought the calorie-adding popcorn and fizzy drink, plus we were the third couple to walk into the screening room, allowing us to pick choice seats. Unfortunately there was one critical factor we were completely unprepared for and had no way of predicting - the unpredictability of Nigerian cinema goers. *flexes fingers*

1. Talking on their phones. Whilst we watched Fee Fi Fo Fum confront Jack, I had to hold myself from not confronting the buffoon on my row who was answering a mobile phone call. He made no attempt to whisper - you could hear every single word he was saying (so much so that I heard him say he would call back in 10 minutes when he knew fully well that the movie had another hour to go! Seriously?!!). He must have talked for a good 3 minutes with no interruptions - not even a 'shush' from anyone in the audience...bizarre. I know what I was thinking of telling him (To know what that was, click here only if you're 18 or older).

2. Putting their feet up on the seat in front. Despite the fact that the seats in Silverbird Cinemas Ikeja can be reclined (just like you have on airplanes) some movie goers here still feel the need to milk every possible position of comfort. Not only is putting your feet up on someone else's seat bad manners but it also makes the poor person sat in that chair look like a bunny rabbit with dirty ears! (imagine the soles of two shoes on top of someone's head).

3. Bringing babies under 1 year. I'm no expert on babies but I'm pretty sure that exposing their tiny eardrums to thunderous explosions aptly amplified by Dolby surround speakers (just for good measure) would not aid hearing development. I can understand the challenges of finding a trustworthy babysitter or persuading a relative to watch over the baby. However, there's always the earplugs option, the rent-a-DVD option or the wait-till-the-movie-comes-out-on- DVD option. For God's sake, prioritize! baby first, giants later!

4. Talking to the cinema screen. We all get carried away sometimes. But when there are other people around you there should be limits. At what point would a movie watcher realize that all his warnings and pockets of advice are not being ignored by the movie characters - THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE IT IS ONLY A MOVIE! Or maybe they just feel the people around them are probably so dim that we need an indirect explanation to bring us up to speed >> 'Thanks but I watched the movie synopsis, I'm familiar with this sort of mythological theme and story-line, and most importantly I have over 25 years of movie-watching experience!' Keep
@jollof U nur get work!
Y U Nur go buy d Tape 4 alaba make we see 4rnt.
U get time to type all these crap
mtchewww.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by biolabee(m): 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2013
Jollof: My girl and I went to see Jack and the Beanstalk Jack the Giant Slayer last night and it was more entertaining than I had anticipated (Though I never noticed any female giants, which begs the question, 'How on earth were such a mythical army of 'males' born in the first place?). We arrived in good time, bought the calorie-adding popcorn and fizzy drink, plus we were the third couple to walk into the screening room, allowing us to pick choice seats. Unfortunately there was one critical factor we were completely unprepared for and had no way of predicting - the unpredictability of Nigerian cinema goers. *flexes fingers*

1. Talking on their phones. Whilst we watched Fee Fi Fo Fum confront Jack, I had to hold myself from not confronting the buffoon on my row who was answering a mobile phone call. He made no attempt to whisper - you could hear every single word he was saying (so much so that I heard him say he would call back in 10 minutes when he knew fully well that the movie had another hour to go! Seriously?!!). He must have talked for a good 3 minutes with no interruptions - not even a 'shush' from anyone in the audience...bizarre. I know what I was thinking of telling him (To know what that was, click here only if you're 18 or older).

2. Putting their feet up on the seat in front. Despite the fact that the seats in Silverbird Cinemas Ikeja can be reclined (just like you have on airplanes) some movie goers here still feel the need to milk every possible position of comfort. Not only is putting your feet up on someone else's seat bad manners but it also makes the poor person sat in that chair look like a bunny rabbit with dirty ears! (imagine the soles of two shoes on top of someone's head).

3. Bringing babies under 1 year. I'm no expert on babies but I'm pretty sure that exposing their tiny eardrums to thunderous explosions aptly amplified by Dolby surround speakers (just for good measure) would not aid hearing development. I can understand the challenges of finding a trustworthy babysitter or persuading a relative to watch over the baby. However, there's always the earplugs option, the rent-a-DVD option or the wait-till-the-movie-comes-out-on- DVD option. For God's sake, prioritize! baby first, giants later!

4. Talking to the cinema screen. We all get carried away sometimes. But when there are other people around you there should be limits. At what point would a movie watcher realize that all his warnings and pockets of advice are not being ignored by the movie characters - THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE IT IS ONLY A MOVIE! Or maybe they just feel the people around them are probably so dim that we need an indirect explanation to bring us up to speed >> 'Thanks but I watched the movie synopsis, I'm familiar with this sort of mythological theme and story-line, and most importantly I have over 25 years of movie-watching experience!' Keep your commentary to yourself and STFU refer to the link in point 1.

5. Standing up minutes before the movie ends. Some Nigerians just don't get the full value of what they pay for simply because they lack patience. Take for instance the blockbuster movie The Avengers which had some added movie footage after the credits. Other notable movies with added footage include, THOR and Fast Five. It wouldn't hurt to just sit tight for another 3 minutes just to be sure that you haven't missed a sneak preview into any possible sequels. Or don't they even want to know the name of that really good actress with the nice butt and sexy accent or the hunk with the biceps and piercing blue eyes? (for example). I frankly don't care if they stay or go but they usually disrupt my viewing pleasure as they make no attempt to crouch as they pass in front of me - inconsiderate bunch of *#@%?!!

Alas, I have come to the end of my intended rant. If you've been a victim then I'm sure you can relate to this article. If you have other annoying things people (not necessarily Nigerians) do in the movie theaters then please spill the magic beans wink

You narrate well and capturee the essence of the movie zombies who can really frustrate someone though I like comedic interjection which causes bursts of laffta
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Paulaok4(f): 3:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Laff wan finish me, I have experienced every single one of them, the leg one was the person behind me, I was sO grossed out and disgusted, I barely managed to politely tell him to remove his foot.
We really need to learn movie manners.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
ZACHIE: farting, silently and smellingly
Na d silent one dey carry weight! Bsides no b only cinema o!
Anywhere more than 2 people are gathered...bus o, church o, mosque o, class o... Na so them dey do am.
The thing wey dey tire me b say, "how d person dey take know say na silent one wan comot?"
What if na d loud one?
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by crusufixo(m): 3:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
Its the same in all cinemas world wide bro.These are behaviors that makes the cinema an interesting place. Get used to it or dont bother going to the cinema cos these behaviors would always be exhibited.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by doctokwus: 3:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
crusufixo:

Its the same in all cinemas world wide bro.These are behaviors that makes the cinema an interesting place. Get used to it or dont bother going to the cinema cos these behaviors would always be exhibited.
Don't mind d op;because its in nigeria it becomes an oddity dat shud b condemned & pple advised to emulate d western world wt their examplary movie behaviour.Meanwhile, almost all d behaviours he pointed out also occur in d more advanced cinema going world,wt some also unique to dem.It wud av made more sense if d op had pointed it out as bad movie behaviours in general,not labelling it a nigerian thing!
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Clemzy16(m): 3:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
u guyz kip complaning..since ya'al knw doz re d annoyin tinz one encounters in d cinema, wat stops u 4rm seein d movie@ d comfort of ur home..Abi dem drag una legs go there. Mcheeew....
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Desloaaa(f): 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
mtchewwwwww..hw dis one take affect badia residence

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
when God created us nigerians he didnt put even a drop of manners in the mixture. He only put a heavy dose of nonsense and rubbish.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by raqueal(f): 3:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
The first thing girls do in the cinema is to take pictures and they don't stop until one or two minutes after the movie begins.
Why do they chew popcorn that way? Why do they rustle the paper bag and dig into it like some treasure is buried deep within? They talk and giggle uncontrollably,even the china phone owners don't respect themselves.

I have Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome and it's very difficult to stay in such place without losing it, I have to keep telling myself to stay calm and breathe..

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by billante(m): 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
See forming for here Mtcheew! people wey never go a cinema or dey ogbomosho dey follow talk undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by free2ryhme: 3:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
@op have u heard/read abt d law of allowing? Secondly, with 25 years of cinema u shld be ashamed of yourself u still do not know the best viewing section of the cinema. Third, u didnot pay for their viewing so u don't have a say whether they leave b4 or after the movie. Fourth, on bring toddlers 2 d cinema u don't have any responsibilites and u will not understand y people bring them 2 d cinema, i am sure if you'd babysitted b4 you will not bragg abt your 25 years experience. Final you need 2 pursue a career in cinema viewing. Like seriously may be silverbird cinema may employ you.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Yseone(m): 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pls where can i locate a cinema in Nigeria
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Hugoboi(m): 3:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
raqueal: I have Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome and it's very difficult to stay in such place without losing it, I have to keep telling myself to stay calm and breathe..

Is there even anything like the bolded?
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by ELgordo(m): 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
SOUL PLANE! SOUL PLANE! SOUL PLANE! We gone fly on tha SOooouuulllll Plane! #Boonducks!#
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by andyanders: 4:18pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dyt: Unnecessary screaming
If u know u can't take d heat, y nt jst simply watch in ur house

Best answer to the OP.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
My girl and I went to see Jack and the Beanstalk Jack the Giant Slayer last night and it was more entertaining than I had anticipated (Though I never noticed any female giants, which begs the question, 'How on earth were such a mythical army of 'males' born in the first place?). We arrived in good time, bought the calorie-adding popcorn and fizzy drink, plus we were the third couple to walk into the screening room, allowing us to pick choice seats. Unfortunately there was one critical factor we were completely unprepared for and had no way of predicting - the unpredictability of Nigerian cinema goers. *flexes fingers*
Waitaminute! Quite some generalizations here, but I'll try show you this is not only common among Nigerians.

Go to any regular movie cinema around the world. I've been in quite a few in France, Germany, Turkey and UAE. People make phone calls in the cinema; receiving is almost normal. Some talk loud, others don't. Some quickly end the call; others persist. This is not a Nigerian thing; it's a human thing. We never seat still.

Now, am not so sure about this. This may be peculiar to Nigerians, but I won't be surprised to find any random toughbag doing it in a civilized environment. I haven't seen one, but I can be wrong.

Again this is a common thing all over the world. Some cinemas try to effect age restrictions by not selling tickets to moms with underaged children, except the movie is suitable for them. But if it's for the sound, pretty much normal to take a kid or a baby in there with you. I have seen this done in advanced countries; I have seen this done among foreigners in Nigeria as well.
Acoustics is well managed across the cinema hall. In spite of the large sounds produced, there's good dissipation.

4. Talking to the cinema screen. We all get carried away sometimes. But when there are other people around you there should be limits. At what point would a movie watcher realize that all his warnings and pockets of advice are not being ignored by the movie characters - THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE IT IS ONLY A MOVIE! Or maybe they just feel the people around them are probably so dim that we need an indirect explanation to bring us up to speed >> 'Thanks but I watched the movie synopsis, I'm familiar with this sort of mythological theme and story-line, and most importantly I have over 25 years of movie-watching experience!' Keep your commentary to yourself and STFU refer to the link in point 1.

So normal when watching a movie, whether at the cinema, on your laptop or with friends. It's called participation and it's not unique to Nigerians.

5. Standing up minutes before the movie ends. Some Nigerians just don't get the full value of what they pay for simply because they lack patience. Take for instance the blockbuster movie The Avengers which had some added movie footage after the credits. Other notable movies with added footage include, THOR and Fast Five. It wouldn't hurt to just sit tight for another 3 minutes just to be sure that you haven't missed a sneak preview into any possible sequels. Or don't they even want to know the name of that really good actress with the nice butt and sexy accent or the hunk with the biceps and piercing blue eyes? (for example). I frankly don't care if they stay or go but they usually disrupt my viewing pleasure as they make no attempt to crouch as they pass in front of me - inconsiderate bunch of *#@%?!!

This one is soooooo normal. All the cinemas I've been to all around the world, at least 50% of the people stand up before the movie ends. Yes, they do. While the credits are rolling, half the people are gone. I wonder why the OP finds this surprising. Cinemas are mostly situated in urban centers where rush and haste are common things.

Alas, I have come to the end of my intended rant. If you've been a victim then I'm sure you can relate to this article. If you have other annoying things people (not necessarily Nigerians) do in the movie theaters then please spill the magic beans wink

So, no need to rant OP. Get used to it! wink

3 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Sleekydee(m): 4:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
Kissing n smooching ur babe....yep it happened, a boi n a gurl totally 4got dey were in a cinema and dey almost ended up bcomin wt pple paid 2 see....
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by loswhite(m): 4:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
crusufixo:

pls it is not the same every where . In US u can be shot while watching the movie. grin
crusufixo:

pls it is not the same every where . In US u can be shot while watching the movie.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Crixina(f): 4:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
POLICE CAP: OP.. I don't realy know wht to say..

But I so much love your "Article". Good grammar, nice composition, perfect choice of words.

I Found it interesting that I forgot its was a complain. grin grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Crixina(f): 4:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
POLICE CAP: OP.. I don't realy know wht to say..

But I so much love your "Article". Good grammar, nice composition, perfect choice of words.

I Found it interesting that I forgot its was a complain. grin grin
made what was suppose to be annoying funny.lov it too
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by rhymz(m): 4:38pm On Mar 27, 2013
ELgordo: SOUL PLANE! SOUL PLANE! SOUL PLANE! We gone fly on tha SOooouuulllll Plane! #Boonducks!#
hahahahhaha. . . This got me cracking. Grand dad and his knack for turning everything into a song.
Can't even remember the last time I was in a Cinema. . . That time silverbed and co never dream of cinema na. . . . Those days of Indian and Chinese films, then Commando Rambo and co. . . I remember that Cinema in Ola market, the space has been taken over now by Redeem. . . You go dey watch film like this person go dey shout on to reactions. . .lol. . Mehn, who get time these days sef for such.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by Revolva(m): 4:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
@POSTER

oya next time bring gun enter cinema.....just because u dont ave any way of excitement..and amusement...omo no be burial person dey oo na cinema..we come watch film....make we jolly watching the film...if you and ur babe dull i beg leave people make dem watch dem film enjoy dem money after all no be u pay for dem......hahaha..if na me siddon next to you.... you go tire.....
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do In Cinemas by ijebabe: 4:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
I'm not surprised. Only illiterates and inconsiderate people will persist in this behaviour undecided
Manners won't hurt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: “I Want Rico Swavey To Cook For Me" - Lady / BBNaija Disqualification: Beauty’ll Work On Managing Emotions – Brother / Most Interesting TV Adverts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.