Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,272 members, 7,836,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (261) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1500059 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by obstead200(m): 8:04pm On Feb 29, 2016
Ttalk:

Sorry about your experience but is one of those things we face in this business, but note that winners dont quit, as you are almost there. If the cracks are on the wall, all you need to do now is to engage someone who can screed the wall with raw cement and screeding gum/paint, leave for sometime and ensure that the angles are double coated to form a thick layer and you are good to go. Where is your location, can you post the pics for us to see
thanks for ur advice.
However, I don't wanna waste more money on something that may not work. This ur suggestion seems so logical and correct. But Are u 100% sure that this solution will work? Cos The way I see the persistent cracks, it seems to me to be a foundation issue.
screeding and all is not cheap. Pls are u really sure it is the best way to go? By the way, I am in owerri. Will post a pic the next time I visit the farm. Probably this week.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Businesstools(m): 8:29pm On Feb 29, 2016
Catfish farmers in the house pls I need your inputs. The person supplying me juveniles told me I won't need to sort, cos from that size the difference in their sizes will not be so much to the extent that they'll eat one another. How true is that?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 7:35am On Mar 01, 2016
Newway2:
Tnx 4 d info. But, is Styrofoam d same as polystyrene?

Yes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:37am On Mar 01, 2016
obstead200:
thanks for ur advice.
However, I don't wanna waste more money on something that may not work. This ur suggestion seems so logical and correct. But Are u 100% sure that this solution will work? Cos The way I see the persistent cracks, it seems to me to be a foundation issue.
screeding and all is not cheap. Pls are u really sure it is the best way to go? By the way, I am in owerri. Will post a pic the next time I visit the farm. Probably this week.

Bro, i understand how you feel and i want to tell you that unless you employ expert to construct pond for you there will always be cracks and even experts still experience one form of cracks and the other and the best way to go about it is not by sewing tarpaulin inside pond rather it is through screeding using cement, waterproof cement and screeding chemical which worth its cost at the long run. Most of these mistakes could have been avoided if you had supervised your pond construction yourself from foundation up to the final stage.

For better understanding, visit farm with concrete ponds around your area, goggle pond construction from youtube and read how to construct pond and you will have enough knowledge to supervise and be able to make minor repairs on your ponds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by uyiroje: 9:44am On Mar 01, 2016
Hi guy, I just stumbled on the thread and I'm loving it. I want to go into catfish farming and I need help with materials I could read and or training. I live in benin city thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:09am On Mar 01, 2016
Businesstools:
Catfish farmers in the house pls I need your inputs. The person supplying me juveniles told me I won't need to sort, cos from that size the difference in their sizes will not be so much to the extent that they'll eat one another. How true is that?

You do not sort only because of cannibalism you sort because fish dont grow at the same pace in fact sorting is as important as feeding, seed and water management which will enhance your profit at the end of the day.

1. Sorting brings about balance competition among sorted fish thereby ensuring even growth
2. It will make you feed your fish according to the sizes of fishes while big fish eat big feed and small eat small feed
3. It will make you manage your feed by feeding protein rich feed to boost the growth of the smaller fish
4. Sorting will enable you to apply feed supplements/multivitamins to the smaller fish to enhance their feeding habit
5. Sorting will make it easier to calculate your FCR, and know the overall wellness of your fish

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:10am On Mar 01, 2016
uyiroje:
Hi guy, I just stumbled on the thread and I'm loving it. I want to go into catfish farming and I need help with materials I could read and or training. I live in benin city thanks.

Read this topic from page 1 to the last page and you are good to go
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TEHILLAFARMS: 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2016
Magnet Gelatin feed 2mm, 4mm and 6mm available in Ibadan. Powder also still available. Comes in 40kg bags. #8000 per bag. Pls text or call to confirm order.08035099049 or 08054476918

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TEHILLAFARMS: 12:33pm On Mar 01, 2016
Magnet Gelatin feed

2mm, 4mm and 6mm pellet feed available in Ibadan now. Powder also available. Pellet Gelatin feed Comes in 40kg bags and cost #8000 only per bag of pellet feed. Pls text or call to confirm order.08035099049 or 08054476918.

Please note that @5kg of the feed is available free for our top customers and 1kg available for any inquisitive fish farmers. A trial will convince you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 12:47pm On Mar 01, 2016
obstead200:
Gud day sir. I am an ardent follower of this catfish thread on nairaland.
I have a challenge which I need ur input. I have completed arrangement to start my fish farm in concrete ponds. A mason, who came highly recommended by a reputable fish farmer in my area, constructed the ponds for me.
However, after construction (together with plastering and all) I noticed cracks forming on the walls of the ponds. I sought advise and I was told to reinforce the pond by cracking them open in strategic places and casting concrete pillars with iron rods into them. I have completed this reinforcement too at a great cost. However, I noted that the cracks appeared again soon after I finished the reinforcement. I tried filling the ponds with water but they dried out by the next day.
Obviously I can't use the ponds like that. I am so discouraged.

I spoke to u sometime ago about buying ur fingerlings as soon as my pond is ready. Now I can't do that.

I am considering the option of fabricating tarpaulin ponds and placing them inside the concrete ponds.
How feasible do u think this option will be?
Will it have any side effects?
What other (cheaper) option is open to me?

We are talking of 6 ponds of 7ft by 14ft each.
Pls reply. It will be appreciated.
yes Wat u need to do is that just buy tarpaulin and lay it inside the concrete pond, you are good to go. You can contact us at AMSA Concepts we build tarpaulin ponds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by faithikalumhe: 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2016
my fish are three week old but within last week i notice six moralities, and at this early stage is it advisable i give dem fishbiotic and calcium? i top the water every week and am using earthing pond am new in the business although i have some one who manages it for me. what can i do?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TEHILLAFARMS: 11:21pm On Mar 01, 2016
[quote author=faithikalumhe post=43390912]my fish are three week old but within last week i notice six moralities, and at this early stage is it advisable i give dem fishbiotic and calcium? i top the water every week and am using earthing pond am new in the business although i have some one who manages it for me. what can i do? [/quote
Three weeks old from hatch or what? Whats your pond type.Do uu operate an Earthen or tarpaulin or concrete, depth of water in pond and water temperature? Do you supervise activity at your pond regularly? Yes antistress is a good response but to get to the source try and give a response to questions
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 12:59pm On Mar 02, 2016
@robonski and all gelatin squad, i want to advise that you open a new thread dedicated to gelatin fish feed, that will also enable buyers to give feedbacks and reviews, that way this thread will not lose direction

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2016
abdulumar:

Good day All,

Nice to see that we are talking about aquaponics.... I am currently working on a system... Growing lettuce for now with a few tomatoes. Gradually trying to expand it. The growth rate is very very impressive. Have same lettuce growing the field... The aquaponics one seems like it had some red Bull..... Lol

The idea is to deploy using available materials... Keep it cheap... . Though I'm working numbers to embark on a greenhouse for aquaponics.

@ abdulumar. Please kindly explain the last picture where u use some equipments in d fish tank
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 10:26pm On Mar 02, 2016
Newway2:
Am in Lagos/Ibadan. I tot they sell it in sheets just like normal foam? Pls who help u to fabricate? Can u link me?

. @abdulumar. Please can you link me to d person that fabricated yours for u. Pls kindly post ur ph no or mail
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 12:59am On Mar 03, 2016
Hello guys,

Good to be home. Exactly a year ago i posted that i want to venture into poultry. Well, i did. Where do i start from................its a long story.

My people am almost wrecked, poultry nearly gave me a heart attack. I lost more than 1.5m.

Abeg am back to fish jare

My advise is pls pay attention to a line of biz you know and grow it than doing "long throat" on that "fantastic" one you know nothing about. All that glitters truely is not gold.

My people i miss you guys. Im back now

What did i miss?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 1:02am On Mar 03, 2016
miqos02:
@robonski and all gelatin squad, i want to advise that you open a new thread dedicated to gelatin fish feed, that will also enable buyers to give feedbacks and reviews, that way this thread will not lose direction

Gbam!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:58am On Mar 03, 2016
mozek24:
Hello guys,

Good to be home. Exactly a year ago i posted that i want to venture into poultry. Well, i did. Where do i start from................its a long story.

My people am almost wrecked, poultry nearly gave me a heart attack. I lost more than 1.5m.

My advise is pls pay attention to a line of biz you know and grow it than doing "long throat" on that "fantastic" one you know nothing about. All that glitters truely is not gold.

What did i miss?

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your loss.....

There is nothing wrong to diversify but always good to master one aspect first and really well then add a other to the original one it not to dump it.

Fish business surely missed you.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 9:11am On Mar 03, 2016
Businesstools:
if u want a profitable harvest,sorting is compulsory
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 9:31am On Mar 03, 2016
chilanfarms:
I call d no attached n spoke with Valerie, let's be patient n not conclude everything that look cheap is fake or fraud. Have order for 10bags wen they deliver will let u guys knw and if I wan large quantity will go over to ota n pick wiv my truck cash n carry.

How did it go bro. Is the product / seller genuine.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by haykays(m): 9:40am On Mar 03, 2016
Which one is 40kg bag... undecided

TEHILLAFARMS:
Magnet Gelatin feed

2mm, 4mm and 6mm pellet feed available in Ibadan now. Powder also available. Pellet Gelatin feed Comes in 40kg bags and cost #8000 only per bag of pellet feed. Pls text or call to confirm order.08035099049 or 08054476918.

Please note that @5kg of the feed is available free for our top customers and 1kg available for any inquisitive fish farmers. A trial will convince you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 9:44am On Mar 03, 2016
miqos02:
absolutely correct... because since the launch of Gelatin feed, the tempo of this wonderful thread has seriously slowed down.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ajoo17(m): 12:35pm On Mar 03, 2016
I think it will be a good ideal if d gelatin feed can go to another group especially d marketing aspect of it. Or it will make mess of the group with time. It is gelatin feed today, another may come tomorrow. My advice....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Princesam400(m): 2:23pm On Mar 03, 2016
Neatly used 1500litres catfish tank for sale
Contact Samprince 08034628555

1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:22pm On Mar 03, 2016
faithikalumhe:
my fish are three week old but within last week i notice six moralities, and at this early stage is it advisable i give dem fishbiotic and calcium? i top the water every week and am using earthing pond am new in the business although i have some one who manages it for me. what can i do?

Is there still mortality?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:25pm On Mar 03, 2016
miqos02:

Hello sir, thank you for your suggestion we will look into that aspect..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:36pm On Mar 03, 2016
mozek24:
Hello guys,

What did i miss?

Oga mozek welcome back to the world of fish farming cheesy its a pity you burnt your finger in poultry business. I once tried poultry at some point though in a small scale(broilers) mehn it was not easy oo , vaccines upon vaccines grin i couldn't cope anymore.. But every business has its own risk be it fish or poultry. People still make money in poultry and some fish farmers also make a loss, it all boils down to your technical know-how and sometimes "Good hands" in a business.. Its a bitter experience for you but its time to move on to your first love "fish farming"..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 6:55pm On Mar 03, 2016
robonski15:

Oga mozek welcome back to the world of fish farming cheesy its a pity you burnt your finger in poultry business. I once tried poultry at some point though in a small scale(broilers) mehn it was not easy oo , vaccines upon vaccines grin i couldn't cope anymore.. But every business has its own risk be it fish or poultry. People still make money in poultry and some fish farmers also make a loss, it all boils down to your technical know-how and sometimes "Good hands" in a business.. Its a bitter experience for you but its time to move on to your first love "fish farming"..

Thanks bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 7:00pm On Mar 03, 2016
Fhemmmy:

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your loss.....

There is nothing wrong to diversify but always good to master one aspect first and really well then add a other to the original one it not to dump it.

Fish business surely missed you.

Oga Fhemmmmmy,

Thank you sir. ........picture speaks volume grin
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickychuk(m): 10:19am On Mar 04, 2016
Pls were can I get this type of tanks and how much will it cost to transport it to port Harcourt? or better still around port Harcourt. Thanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pharmsy: 10:41am On Mar 04, 2016
Good day house. Please i'm in need of abx1's Phone number. Someone should help out pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
pharmsy:
Good day house. Please i'm in need of abx1's Phone number. Someone should help out pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.