Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,939 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497198 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by matrixme(m): 8:08pm On Apr 09, 2016
I should recommend Chilanfarms for broodstocks supply and delivery across the country. I sent money for broodstock and other stuffs, someone I have never met and he delivered everything promptly and monitored the entire process till I got it. He is to be trusted. Thank you and same goes to all the good people sharing their knowledge on this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biyibd: 10:20pm On Apr 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
my brother who am i to contest with anybody,i am also learning sir
Chief, what if you're running a recirculating aquaculture system? What should be the stocking density per 1,000litres?
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 12:45am On Apr 10, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

Well said by excelsior. But let me add a few lines. You can also introduce flow through system in case of heat while you introduce heater in case of extreme cold.

Wishing you all the very best!!!
@Nuvembarzintl, thanks sir for enlightening me. But sir where do I get the heater and how does it work too?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 12:47am On Apr 10, 2016
matrixme:
I should recommend Chilanfarms for broodstocks supply and delivery across the country. I sent money for broodstock and other stuffs, someone I have never met and he delivered everything promptly and monitored the entire process till I got it. He is to be trusted. Thank you and same goes to all the good people sharing their knowledge on this forum.
pls where is Chilanfarms?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 12:55am On Apr 10, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

There's no law to the amount of feed to give to your fish per time. All you need to do is to feed to satisfaction but DON'T OVER FEED to the point that you are leaving left over feed on top of the pond. Such practice will eat into your profit and at the same time polute your water which can end up in killing your fish. I personally don't believe nor give formular for feeding regime. This is because, farmer A that feed his fish EFFECTIVELY once or two twice a day will have a better yield to farmer B that feeds SPARINGLY 4times a day. All that matters is the QUALITY & the QUANTITY of feed that you are giving to your fish. Also, you have to be conscious of the cost of your production. That should GUIDE you to know how much to expend on your production. Always carry out a constant market survey analysis to know both the current production cost and the selling price. Endeavour to always monitor the growth/weight of your fish also on weekly basis by randomly picking and weighting some fish. You MUST also train yourself on RECORD KEEPING. Detailed book keeping will help you to know when to sell your fish because you have an idea of what your production cost should be. Hence, you begin to prepare yourself for the harvest once you've spent the expected production cost per unit on them.
The reason why you should not exceed the production cost of your environment or locality is because you are selling your fish to the same people that will buy from other farmers around you.

@Nuvembarzintl, God bless u for this insight. You have actually answered most questions battling with my mind on this fish rearing. Thanks once again.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 3:17am On Apr 10, 2016
robonski15:
Hello fish farmers!!!

If you are not in any association this is your oppourtunity to join one..

DIVINE corporative assocition is opened for both fish and poultry famers in lagos...

BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP:

1.LOAN FACILITY FOR MEMBERS.

2.REGISTRATION OF FARMS.

3.REDUCTION OF HALF THE PRICE OF FARM NECESSITIES LIKE GENARATOR,COLLAPSIBLE TANKS,FINGERLINGS,SMOKING KILN,FISH FEED ETC

4.OPPOURTUNITY TO RELATE WITH OTHER FISH FARMERS!!!

5.GETTING LATEST NEWS ON FISH FARMING AND POULTRY

6.LECTURES FROM FADAMA AND CADA ETC..

INTERESTED FARMERS SHOULD CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFO.. THANKS
what of Ibadan?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by matrixme(m): 7:09am On Apr 10, 2016
remros2:
pls where is Chilanfarms?
That's his username. His farm is in Ibadan
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sejeje: 8:12am On Apr 10, 2016
Sejeje:

I need about 500 fingerlings
do you have
I need claria bloodstock male and female and five hundred fingerlings.can you supply
me at ojoo behind ojoo police station.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Jswart: 9:00am On Apr 10, 2016
chilanfarms:
# most of us r busy but only come into browers when les busy but wen u get a msg pop on ur device u respond to it almost immediately. Ur candid opinion is noted...

That's true it's easier to reply questions on whatsapp I have stopped asking questions here cos you hardly get answers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olabakefish: 9:02am On Apr 10, 2016
Melange available for sale at AIT rd Alagbado Lagos. 420 per kg.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 1:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
matrixme:
#@ Matrixme! Thanks for ur comment about Chilanfarms, integrity is our watchword. We r here to bring smiles to each others face... #Dictum meum pactum
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 1:32pm On Apr 10, 2016
Sejeje:
I need claria bloodstock male and female and five hundred fingerlings.can you supply
me at ojoo behind ojoo police station.

@sejeje(do gentle grin) sure we can supply u all u need. Contact us on 07065874135 or 08076515345. Thanks!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 1:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
The rain is coming let us all protect our investment by making sure all drainage are free for flood to move, block ur inlet wen leaving farm n make sure ur outlet is in good shape to allow outflow. God Bless us and the work of our Hand.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by manya(m): 1:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
Hello farmers, a very good evening to everyone,
I have started learning to hatch, i have done it four times but only one was successful. i dont seem to understand the problem because i have followed the rule given to me and what i read from agricnetwork. after injecting at about 8 pm i strip at about 6 am the following morning mix the egg and sperm and then spread on the mesh. i then allow my water flow through to start. after 24 hours i find my egg very white with no sign of any life in there. i gave up after 30 hours and washed the net and vat with disappointment.
i was suspecting my female broodstock eggs as they always appear green before i hatch. my coach told me that is not the reason for the failure to hatch as even unripe eggs do hatch but the hatchlings hardly survive. i also suspect the flow through immediately after spreding the fertilised eggs on the mesh for the whole period of hatching.
please gurus in the house should help me out as i am getting worried every day.
thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 3:09pm On Apr 10, 2016
manya:
I have started learning to hatch, i have done it four times but only one was successful. i dont seem to understand the problem because i have followed the rule given to me and what i read from agricnetwork. after injecting at about 8 pm i strip at about 6 am the following morning mix the egg and sperm and then spread on the mesh. i then allow my water flow through to start. after 24 hours i find my egg very white with no sign of any life in there. i gave up after 30 hours and washed the net and vat with disappointment.
i was suspecting my female broodstock eggs as they always appear green before i hatch. my coach told me that is not the reason for the failure to hatch as even unripe eggs do hatch but the hatchlings hardly survive. i also suspect the flow through immediately after spreding the fertilised eggs on the mesh for the whole period of hatching.
thank you.
# ehyah sorry about that.... ur coach should do justice to d problem. Wats d age n weight of d broodstock? Slight mistake could floop d own procedure up, frm ur explainnation here somtins r missing. Hw did u fertilize? Hw did u spread d eggs on d mesh? Wats ur water ph?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 10, 2016
manya:
thank you.

The first thing u must get b4 hatching is pH meter. Have u tested ur water? What is d pH?
What is d calcium content?

@ house,I've started buying my equipment small small. The digital pH merter was sold for 3520 naira with free shipping at aliexpress. I heard its also sold at animal care and most fish feed shops.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
The pH meter I ordered for.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 7:27pm On Apr 10, 2016
Pls can I add 2 different fishes from different farm in the same pond? will they harm each other. they are of the same size..I don't have means of getting extra pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
vickifeanyi47:
Pls can I add 2 different fishes from different farm in the same pond? will they harm each other. they are of the same size..I don't have means of getting extra pond
# u can but theirs a chance dt fish frm farm a has a hiden infection or has grown resistance to a particular disease/infection and adding such to another stock wiv is infection free but of less/low immunity may become a disaster. But if u can condition d new fish to be add b4 adding to d existing stock then u r 80% safe...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 9:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
chilanfarms:
# u can but theirs a chance dt fish frm farm a has a hiden infection or has grown resistance to a particular disease/infection and adding such to another stock wiv is infection free but of less/low immunity may become a disaster. But if u can condition d new fish to be add b4 adding to d existing stock then u r 80% safe...
thanks ,but what do you mean by condition the fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 12:57am On Apr 11, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

Well said by excelsior. But let me add a few lines. You can also introduce flow through system in case of heat while you introduce heater in case of extreme cold.

how. Does heater work in fish farming during extreme cold. Is it an electric heater? Wher can I get it? Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 2:30am On Apr 11, 2016
robonski16:
Has anyone heard about A "KILO IS A KILO CAMPAIGN" in ibadan by young fish farmers who complain about how this market women price their fish??
I've waited impatiently to hear an elaborate detail on this issue. Pls I'm in Ibadan, and I'm a fresher who is yet to harvest my first crop of catfish. I've approached these mama elejas and d idea I've been given is that a kilo is for 430. Is this a good deal? Then d issue of a kilo is a kilo, should there really be a difference between kilos? Pls enlighten me sirs!

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:17am On Apr 11, 2016
remros2:
I've waited impatiently to hear an elaborate detail on this issue. Pls I'm in Ibadan, and I'm a fresher who is yet to harvest my first crop of catfish. I've approached these mama elejas and d idea I've been given is that a kilo is for 430. Is this a good deal? Then d issue of a kilo is a kilo, should there really be a difference between kilos? Pls enlighten me sirs!
@Remros hw r u? Ibadan price ranges btw #400-470 depending on ur average weight n ur bargaining strategy... don't act like u are a fresher to dem. Don't allow dem pack ur fish into a sack n put on d floor b4 weighing.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:13am On Apr 11, 2016
Anybody in the house with catfish of 1kg size minimum l want to buy, l want sellers in ibadan only
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:13am On Apr 11, 2016
Call me on 08120528950 or eesteeresources@gmail.com WhatsApp 08120528950 Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by manya(m): 11:41am On Apr 11, 2016
chilanfarms:
# ehyah sorry about that.... ur coach should do justice to d problem. Wats d age n weight of d broodstock? Slight mistake could floop d own procedure up, frm ur explainnation here somtins r missing. Hw did u fertilize? Hw did u spread d eggs on d mesh? Wats ur water ph?
the pics below shows my setup of hatchery. as i said i have two tanks as hatching vat the second attempt of my hatching yielded the result in this picture, about 300 eggs hatched out of about 100g of egg mass from 2kg of female broodstock. though i have not tested my borehole water, i have been using it fro fish farming for over a year, i have now taken some to a lab for test since i have no meter.
my coach kept saying the eggs would have hatched even if they are not matured enough but the fries would not survive. my problem is the eggs turn white twelve to fifteen hours after spreading them using spoon on the net.
On stripping my eggs are normally green is that normal? i used to add little water to the egg-sperm mixture before spreading is that ok? i also start flow through of water immediately after spreading and allow that to continue for the whole 30 hour or 24 hour period, is that ok? i do not cover my hatching vat after spreading the fertilised eggs as said by Robonski, could that be a problem?
the small fish are the 7 days old ones that have hatched.
please kindly help answer to save my endeavour. thank you.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 12:16pm On Apr 11, 2016
manya:

the pics below shows my setup of hatchery. as i said i have two tanks as hatching vat the second attempt of my hatching yielded the result in this picture, about 300 eggs hatched out of about 100g of egg mass from 2kg of female broodstock. though i have not tested my borehole water, i have been using it fro fish farming for over a year, i have now taken some to a lab for test since i have no meter.
my coach kept saying the eggs would have hatched even if they are not matured enough but the fries would not survive. my problem is the eggs turn white twelve to fifteen hours after spreading them using spoon on the net.
On stripping my eggs are normally green is that normal? i used to add little water to the egg-sperm mixture before spreading is that ok? i also start flow through of water immediately after spreading and allow that to continue for the whole 30 hour or 24 hour period, is that ok? i do not cover my hatching vat after spreading the fertilised eggs as said by Robonski, could that be a problem?
the small fish are the 7 days old ones that have hatched.
please kindly help answer to save my endeavour. thank you.
from the pixs it's wrong for d tap to run directly on ur mesh. U cover d vat up not leave open like this, did u use salin water b4 H2O?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2016
Good farmlands close to river sides available for sale in ikire osun state at N65k per acre minimum purchase is 10 acres. Another farmland available in olofin village ogun state for 100k per acre minimum purchase is 5 acres Another farmland available in obada oko in ogun state just less than one hour from lagos at N250k per acre minimum purchase is 5 acres Farmland available in ido LGA in ibadan Oyo state for N230k per acre minimum purchase is 2 acres 10k none refundable consultancy fee payable same day after visitation to the land We can help you set up farm, manage and refer you to buyers We are into Plantain, cassava, jatropha, soya beans, ugu, okro, cucumber, cow, goats, rams, ostrich, rabbits, geese, layers, turkeys farming We train, sell Ebooks on Agribusiness and also write business plan for people Call Gbenga on 08120528950 or eesteeresources@gmail.com WhatsApp 08120528950
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MagnaB: 5:45pm On Apr 11, 2016
Sir can 100,000 naira do fish farming, I know it is small but will it be worth it. I mean to start it small. Would appreciate ur advice
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 8:35pm On Apr 11, 2016
My fishes raise their heads up with their mouth open...I noticed I especially when I relocated them to a new pond after sorting...hope they will be okay?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 7:50am On Apr 12, 2016
Hello NL..someone should help..its urgent.. pls I sorted my fines yesterday , the bigger ones I transfered to a bigger pond..but this morning I found out many hanging with their heads up..the fishes are 2months old, what do I do cos 1 is already dead
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:00am On Apr 12, 2016
vickifeanyi47:
Hello NL..someone should help..its urgent.. pls I sorted my fines yesterday , the bigger ones I transfered to a bigger pond..but this morning I found out many hanging with their heads up..the fishes are 2months old, what do I do cos 1 is already dead

It appears there are not enough dissolve oxygen in your pond, there could be many reason for this even with seemingly clean water. One of the reason could be that rain water has entered your pond, if its that kindly change the water immediately and they would be fine

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.