Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,221 members, 7,836,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1500001 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oloyee2: 3:50pm On Apr 13, 2016
Good afternoon everyone,

Trust everyone's business is doing fine.

Meanwhile, I will be having 400kg of mélange by Mid-May 2016 in Abeokuta, our farm is located around Lafenwa in Abeokuta.
Interested prospective buyers can book by calling 07030050537. Each KG sells for N440.

Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:22pm On Apr 13, 2016
matrixme:
Please there are 4 frogs in my pool and I am preparing to stock with fingerlings. I hope I am not preparing a table before the frogs? The pool is 41 by 21 FT, a swimming pool very deep and can't be drained. Please advise. How frequent can the frogs feed and what can I do?

how big are the frogs? do you mean the water in the pool cant be drained. I seem not to understand your last question "How frequent can the frogs feed and what can I do?". Can you show us some pictures and share more on how you plan to raise the fishes. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by flexingPAPA: 4:35pm On Apr 13, 2016
Good evening sirs. pls my fish are dying daily. I hav lost 25 catfish in two days. am very sure is bacteria infection, because they die with a swollen stomach. and they are already four months old.. what should I do pls.. what drugs will I get for them. pls respond ASAP.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by matrixme(m): 5:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
robonski15:

how big are the frogs? do you mean the water in the pool cant be drained. I seem not to understand your last question "How frequent can the frogs feed and what can I do?". Can you show us some pictures and share more on how you plan to raise the fishes. Thanks
Many thanks sir. Here is the pics... I meant the pool can be drained externally by pumping machine but there is already a healthy plankton bloom in the disused pool. So I am thinking to drain such large water because of four frogs might not be worth it. Two are as big as a clenched fist and others are a little small. What do you advise sir?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 7:14pm On Apr 13, 2016
soft77:
stocking runts is a very big mistake anyhow u look at it , u will loose , i advise that if u have were , u buy ur fingerlings or juvenile, always go there in advance to see the fishes when thy are fries. It doesent matter if u go to ur seller and see the fries sevral times before they become fingerllings or juvenile , u can even pay part payment so the hatchry can consider urs first, that way u get to get first shooters or second shooters and also u will have knowledge of the fishes if they are sick or fish thats doing well... and for those who already got runts i made this same mistake of stocking runts last year believe me its a bad story .but i actually made little profit . so for those who had runts now what i advice . mix any good fish growth powder booster with there food , when u buy lets say coopens 15kg a bag mix about 3 sarchet of any good fish booster in the feed, this means for 5kg feed, u add 1 sachet that sells for 300 naira and also when u change there water as in concrate , tarpaulin or plastic ponds ,buy also the liquid fish booster and mix with there water when changing the water . actualy runts are fish that lacks the esential vitamins,minerals and hormones that make them grow like the shooters or we say normal fish . so they need this boosters to replace the lost minerals and vitamins and it helps kick start there growth hormnones , i tried it and after a month my runts start to grow normal . and i did not run at a lost when i sold . Am not encouraging any one to buy runts but only ofering a solution incase u are missled to buy them, better to save ur capital than loose all. the best practice is to buy shooters from reputable hatchries .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 7:20pm On Apr 13, 2016
soft77:
stocking runts is a very big mistake anyhow u look at it , u will loose , i advise that if u have were , u buy ur fingerlings or juvenile, always go there in advance to see the fishes when thy are fries. It doesent matter if u go to ur seller and see the fries sevral times before they become fingerllings or juvenile , u can even pay part payment so the hatchry can consider urs first, that way u get to get first shooters or second shooters and also u will have knowledge of the fishes if they are sick or fish thats doing well... and for those who already got runts i made this same mistake of stocking runts last year believe me its a bad story .but i actually made little profit . so for those who had runts now what i advice . mix any good fish growth powder booster with there food , when u buy lets say coopens 15kg a bag mix about 3 sarchet of any good fish booster in the feed, this means for 5kg feed, u add 1 sachet that sells for 300 naira and also when u change there water as in concrate , tarpaulin or plastic ponds ,buy also the liquid fish booster and mix with there water when changing the water . actualy runts are fish that lacks the esential vitamins,minerals and hormones that make them grow like the shooters or we say normal fish . so they need this boosters to replace the lost minerals and vitamins and it helps kick start there growth hormnones , i tried it and after a month my runts start to grow normal . and i did not run at a lost when i sold . Am not encouraging any one to buy runts but only ofering a solution incase u are missled to buy them, better to save ur capital than loose all. the best practice is to buy shooters from reputable hatchries .
I know this might sound funny, but how does a new farmer like me recognise a runt when I see one? Also how long does it take a fry to grow into fingerling and a fingerling to a juvenile. Precisely I want to know exactly when one can start suspecting if once fishes are runts in d process of growing. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 8:58pm On Apr 13, 2016
please house .what's the common name for potassium pamnganate...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:41pm On Apr 13, 2016
[quote author=matrixme post=44670943]
Many thanks sir. Here is the pics... I meant the pool can be drained externally by pumping machine but there is already a healthy plankton bloom in the disused pool. So I am thinking to drain such large water because of four frogs might not be worth it. Two are as big as a clenched fist and others are a little small. What do you advise sir?
[/quote #Frog,toad or tadpole are predators that should nt be given any tiny chance of been close not to talk of entering ur pond b4 stocking ur fingerlins. This are 1 of d reasons u stock 2000 and @ harvest u only get a shock of ur life. Sorry ma contribution is always short cos time is short.#smiles!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
chilanfarms:
@Remros hw r u? Ibadan price ranges btw #400-470 depending on ur average weight n ur bargaining strategy... don't act like u are a fresher to dem. Don't allow dem pack ur fish into a sack n put on d floor b4 weighing.
@Chilanfarms. Thanks so much sir. I will bear this in mind.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by flexingPAPA: 12:00am On Apr 14, 2016
ultrazone:

5-7kg of salt/1000 litres of water is ideal. To get a more uniform treatment, dissolve in a bucket of water first. Remember to suspend feeding for a period of 2-3 days during this treatment.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
pls is it the normal table salt. or a special kind of salt?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 1:58am On Apr 14, 2016
ab1x:

When they clock 8 weeks, you can change their water and use 10Kilo of salt to treat them.
are u saying salt can't be used when fishes are less than 8weeks? Also what's the quantity applicable in a plastic tank?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Heroesworths(m): 2:34am On Apr 14, 2016
Anybody with healthy Fingerlings and post Fingerlings should contact me on 08066401947
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 2:37am On Apr 14, 2016
ab1x:

The formular is 100KG. TS means Toasted Soya, DCP _ sorry I don't know d meaning but it is meant to make d fish agile and give them strong bone. The biscuit is the normal biscuit we eat but the one they use at the feedmill is the industrial one. I mean, waste from the factory but I see guys working at the feedmill eating it. For how long they will consume 100KG depends on ur fish eating habit
sir AB1X, what about the indomie in ur formula 2? Is it the packet one, or industrial waste too.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by remros2: 2:59am On Apr 14, 2016
robonski16:

Some useless hatchers also sell runts, years back I bought runts unknowingly from a hatcher, Not once or twice but later on I got to realise it and I lost heavily.. But today he is no longer in business.. One thing they don't realise is that when u keeping selling runts and the farmer keeps feeding and loosing he will surely go somewhere else and the hatcher tends to loose his customers gradually till he folds up.. I have even seen some hatchery presently using fishes of 0.5 grms both male and female for spawning..

Like I said earlier on u have to know the hatchery.. Go to their farms and see for urself... Also u have to still use ur discretion to still identify the runts.. I can identify runts just by looking at the fishes inside water maybe because I am into hatching..

A fish farmer contacted me some months back pleading just to see me..I gave him an appointment and when I met with him he complained bitterly about all he has gone through in fish farming.. I felt pity for him coz I could feel his pains.. Luckily for him I had done some hatching with first class shooters still intact, I gave him a thousand first class shooters for free and some tips on management...

5 months later when he harvested none of the fishes were below 1.5 kg he made profit for the first time since he started fish farming.. He brought the biggest fish of them all to my farm as appreciation...

I guess all these agents and hatchers that sells runts will be exposed with time..
amen bro. Pls can u give us hints on how to recognise runts at a glance or even under scrutiny. I'm worried about this runt problems. Thanks sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:16am On Apr 14, 2016
Good morning fellow future holder of our great Nation Nigeria...m Chilanfarms just wana wish u a great day ahead [size=8pt][/size].... DOAGRICITPAYS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 10:45am On Apr 14, 2016
remros2:
sir AB1X, what about the indomie in ur formula 2? Is it the packet one, or industrial waste too.

industrial waste
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 10:47am On Apr 14, 2016
remros2:
are u saying salt can't be used when fishes are less than 8weeks? Also what's the quantity applicable in a plastic tank?

You can use salt to treat fish at any age but you have to be careful about the quantity of salt to use in treating them and that solely depends on the size of the pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by biggeeventures: 12:21pm On Apr 14, 2016
@robonski15, I must confess you have been a blessing to me and many others. Please I'm interested in this too. Kindly send me all you know I need to kick start to biggeeventures@gmail.com. Including where I can get a quality training, internships, pond concrete construction for a beginner, etc.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
matrixme:
Please there are 4 frogs in my pool and I am preparing to stock with fingerlings. I hope I am not preparing a table before the frogs? The pool is 41 by 21 FT, a swimming pool very deep and can't be drained. Please advise. How frequent can the frogs feed and what can I do?
Note :even juveniles will be eaten by frogs. That u see 4 does not make them 4, at night if u visit,u will understand better(if not safe i don't encourage u going). Possible solution- pump out d water, lime d ponds, it will destroy every possible threat,but now that it seems we are in rainy season,pump out d water, verify if no hidden holes in your ponds & if such,try to put a stick through,but i hope no snake surface from it(laugh), when sure no frogs in it, immediately net your ponds with nets that have good holes i.e. not big holes. Then introduce whatever u want to.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2016
Oga Ab1x, your final feed for weigh gain always contain broiler starter, since broiler starter is majorly made up of soybean and corn, what is the essence of broiler starter since your formula has certain percentage of soybean and corn?.
Why not just increase the percentage of these feedstuff and to save cost?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:49pm On Apr 14, 2016
matrixme:

Chairman sir, i will also advice you drain the water from the pool, and lime it.. you cant just stock fishes in there without proper preparation of the pond..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2016
biggeeventures:
@robonski15, I must confess you have been a blessing to me and many others. Please I'm interested in this too. Kindly send me all you know I need to kick start to biggeeventures@gmail.com. Including where I can get a quality training, internships, pond concrete construction for a beginner, etc.

Thanks a lot.

Thank you very much sir, there is a whole lot to know first in theory then practical, i will advice you visit www.agricnetwork.com there are loads of topic to help you gain the desired knowledge. For the practicals we will announce the days for the training. Just stay tuned.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:04pm On Apr 14, 2016
ab1x:

You can use salt to treat fish at any age but you have to be careful about the quantity of salt to use in treating them and that solely depends on the size of the pond.
well said
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:08pm On Apr 14, 2016
flexingPAPA:
pls is it the normal table salt. or a special kind of salt?
normal table salt, is ok
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 6:42pm On Apr 14, 2016
To all the Guru's in the house, please kindly assist. I have a new proposed site for fish farming and I intend to construct earthen ponds.
1. Please, for a pond of 2000 capacity what’s the dimension that can hold them to table size?
2. How many fish per square meter
3. What is the spacing between each pond?

The land is not swampy but when you dig to 12 foot, water comes from the ground to fill the pond. Please, what’s the best way to design the pond? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
biyibd:

Chief, what if you're running a recirculating aquaculture system? What should be the stocking density per 1,000litres?
Thanks
many say recirculatory, but what most do is just pumping water from one pond to another & back. A real recirculatory will re use the same quantity of water over a long time,but little introduction of water if there are losses in water due to evaporation. The system should have a biofilter that filtrate waste, remove nitrogen ,makes d water clean again & fixes fresh oxygen into d water. It is not static, dynamic i.e. motion is continual & will only be successfully achieve when light is constant, u are using a solar or have ideas to power d system. With this 60-75% volume of water in an ordinary system will serve the recirculatory successfully
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 6:44pm On Apr 14, 2016
@ robonski, ab1x, lagbaja, juve, soft77, excelsior or everybody kindly, assist with my questions below

1. For an earthen pond of 2000 capacity what’s the dimension that can hold them to table size?

The land is not swampy but when you dig to 12 foot, water comes from the ground to fill the pond. Please, what’s the best way to design the pond? Thanks

MAKE UNA HELP OOOOOOOOOOOO. PLS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 6:45pm On Apr 14, 2016
Ttalk:
Oga Ab1x, your final feed for weigh gain always contain broiler starter, since broiler starter is majorly made up of soybean and corn, what is the essence of broiler starter since your formula has certain percentage of soybean and corn?.
Why not just increase the percentage of these feedstuff and to save cost?

I would have advise people to opt for broiler finisher to reduce cost and to increase weight but on a second thought the broiler starter has more fish meal which hitherto will boast the feeding habit, weight and acceptability of the feed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2016
wilbro:
To all the Guru's in the house, please kindly assist. I have a new proposed site for fish farming and I intend to construct earthen ponds.
1. Please, for a pond of 2000 capacity what’s the dimension that can hold them to table size?

my concept would have being to use this your water source to service ponds that are dug not as deep as your 12 feets.My reasons 1.)you don't over labour your fishes when they come to feed,food that would have aid faster growth will be wasted on physical efforts 2.)Harvest will be a bit difficult,though not impossible 3.) drainage design will be difficult, still not impossible i.e. you can pump out. 4.)don't go & fall into a 12 feet pond,get a life jacket handy.other ?,read thru d thread,visit agricnetwork
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:18pm On Apr 14, 2016
wilbro:
@ robonski, ab1x, lagbaja, juve, soft77, excelsior or everybody kindly, assist with my questions below

1. For an earthen pond of 2000 capacity what’s the dimension that can hold them to table size?

MAKE UNA HELP OOOOOOOOOOOO. PLS
i wrote my thought already, but i want to encourage u sir to just use this thread by patiently reading it, when through,u would to a large extent be able to face d world of fishfarming & some/ also all possible challenges that a fishfarmer can encounter. Just take this advice sir & within it you get d answer yourself. Be bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 8:14pm On Apr 14, 2016
[quote author=mozek24 post=44482292]

Thanks for the info.

I have tried different confusing accounting methods for fish mgt without achieving accurate result.

Pls can you or anyone else in the house give us a proper format for good book keeping and accounting records for effective fish farming and management.

Good evening guys,

The above request was made over a week ago and no response yet. Are we saying there's no accounting standards or principle in fish farming? If yes, this may account for the low response for loan request and other benefits as farmers seems to "do anyhow".

Pls if you have idea on accounting for fish farm, kindly share.

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 8:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
i wrote my thought already, but i want to encourage u sir to just use this thread by patiently reading it, when through,u would to a large extent be able to face d world of fishfarming & some/ also all possible challenges that a fishfarmer can encounter. Just take this advice sir & within it you get d answer yourself. Be bless

Thanks for your reply Boss man. The design of the earthen ponds depth will be 3ft to 4ft but I am just thinking if its possible to dig a big pit where water comes from the ground. Then the water will be channel to the earthen ponds. all waste water will be passed to the river.

I am addicted to this thread from its birth boss man and also I have an existing farm with concrete tanks.
Thanks for the tip.

Just to ask, how many fish per meter square is stocked in earthen ponds to get the best weight gain or result. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.