Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,353 members, 7,860,934 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:17 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (304) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1507360 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 10:51am On Jun 22, 2016
Congratulations on the mile stone achievement, be sure to solidify that walls by filling the block holes with concrete/stones/gravels/sand.

It's great but if you are intending to go 1250 you should split it into the 4ponds to avoid over crowding, else some fish will not feed well and will have to result to sorting them out separately for separate care and feeding.

Net covering is perfect to guide against predators.
The roof I'm not sure it's necessary as that might be extra cost u can make Ur net cover half canopy half net instead.

Good luck and God's best

akhis:
Hello House great morning. I have been following and evetually started my pond construction of 8x16x4. Picture is attached. I was inspired by what I read hear, what I saw in my brothers farm and the abundance of magots in my present pig farm. Pls I will appreciate any criticism and advise to move this ministry to permanent site.
I intend covering the ponds with a net and also have a roof to avoid direct sun cos its always very hot here. I intend starting with 1250 juveniles with one pond only for now.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 11:00am On Jun 22, 2016
I'm sure not encountering any problem with my tiled vats, what problem are u encountering please share maybe some of us can beware and guide against it.

[quote author=jemjem post=46811132][/quote]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
akhis:
Hello House great morning. I have been following and evetually started my pond construction of 8x16x4. Picture is attached. I was inspired by what I read hear, what I saw in my brothers farm and the abundance of magots in my present pig farm. Pls I will appreciate any criticism and advise to move this ministry to permanent site.
I intend covering the ponds with a net and also have a roof to avoid direct sun cos its always very hot here. I intend starting with 1250 juveniles with one pond only for now.

This is a very good work, may God continue to strengthen our effort. However i will advice insert pillars most especially in between the L of 16 feet to make your pond solid since you didnt bind it with iron after the second coach of block.

Where is your location sir, and you source of water supply?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by akhis: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2016
aoladayo:
Congratulations on the mile stone achievement, be sure to solidify that walls by filling the block holes with concrete/stones/gravels/sand.

It's great but if you are intending to go 1250 you should split it into the 4ponds to avoid over crowding, else some fish will not feed well and will have to result to sorting them out separately for separate care and feeding.

Net covering is perfect to guide against predators.
The roof I'm not sure it's necessary as that might be extra cost u can make Ur net cover half canopy half net instead.

Good luck and God's best

Thanks alot @ aoladayo. You are that the roofing willbe more cost and infacta thats why am just coverying just two for now . I thought about the canopy but my fear was there could be less ventilation if I have to cover some parts with canopy. The temperaturein that locationwhen its sunning is very hot and am avoiding issues that could arise feom the water
going hot and all the fish dying from hot water
. I have asked them to fill the block holes with broken blocks and concrete just as u advised. Thanks alot

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by akhis: 2:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
Ttalk:

This is a very good work, may God continue to strengthen our effort. However i will advice insert pillars most especially in between the L of 16 feet to make your pond solid since you didnt bind it with iron after the second coach of block.

Where is your location sir, and you source of water supply?

My Location is Itori in Ewekoro and I already have a bore hole for the water supply.

I did not put pillars primarily becos of cost by am filling the block holes especially the angles up with concrate.
Do you have a pond already? Where is your farm and how have you been faring?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 2:31pm On Jun 22, 2016
aoladayo:
Good day fellas,

Pls i would appreciate a step by step. Guide to making my own nutritious local feeds as I have seen many talk about its advantage. Ingredients and process I don't mind a typical sample that has been used before I still have 2months away before I start feeding my fishes local but if I can practice and get it right I would like to feed them. My own formulations.

I know somewhere in the thread this might have been mentioned Pls direct me to the page or share with me if available.

Thanks

I would refer you to Ab1x formula. Click on the handle and read his post you'll find the right formula to use

Summary of my formula is as follows

2mm and 3mm

Fish meal 40% [I use grinned clupeid]
Blood meal 5-10% [depends]
Soya Meal 20%
GNC 20%
Bewery Waste 5-10%[Depends]
Corn not more than 5% [Cooked Corn flour]

4mm
Fish meal 25-30%
Blood Meal 10%
Soya 20%
GNC 20%
Bewery Waste 15%
Corn not more than 10% [Cooked corn flour]

6mm and above
Fishmeal 10%
Blood Meal Ideal 13% Extreme 15%
Soya 25%
GNC 25%
Bewery Waste/Broiler Starter 10%
Corn not more than 15% [Cooked corn flour]

I include less than 500g of Lysine and Methonine and Vit C for 2mm and 3mm [Inclusion of Lysine for 2mm & 3mm is optional]
I incude between 500g and 1kg of Lysine and Methonine and Vit C for 4mm and above
I introduce palm oil from 3mm
Include 1kg salt for every 100kg formula

You can as well formulate MEDICATED FEED of 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6mm and 8mm with the above formula you only need to add synthetics vitamins / Mineral and antibiotics
5kg of 2mm Medicated feed
5kg of 3mm Medicated feed
15kg of 4-8mm Medicated feed

The formula is for 100kg

Edited

Note: Your water management while using local formula especially on concrete pond must be optimum [Preferably every other day] to avoid outbreak of disease. This must be followed by careful planning of regular water supply to your ponds. Sorting to two ponds after the first two weeks is alright. Once you stock, there should be cover either tarpaulin or roofing. I cover my pond completely in the first month of stocking fingerlings with small portion to retain constant temperature. You might be lucky not to have temperature fluctuation at night in your location

6 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 22, 2016
Ttalk:

I would refer you to Ab1x formula. Click on the handle and read his post you'll find the right formula to use

2mm and 3mm

Soya Meal 20%
GNC 20%

4mm
Fish meal 25-30%
Blood Meal 10%
Soya 20%
GNC 20%
Bewery Waste 15%

6mm and above
Fishmeal 10%
Soya 25%
GNC 25%

I include less than 500g of Lysine and Methonine and Vit C for 2mm and 3mm
I incude between 500g and 1kg of Methonine and Vit C for 4mm and above

You can as well formulate MEDICATED FEED of 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6mm and 8mm with the above formula you only need to add synthetics vitamins / Mineral and antibiotics

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 5:10pm On Jun 22, 2016
akhis:

My Location is Itori in Ewekoro and I already have a bore hole for the water supply.

I did not put pillars primarily becos of cost by am filling the block holes especially the angles up with concrate.
Do you have a pond already? Where is your farm and how have you been faring?

Am in Abuja, constructed new similar pond February this year. Check my handle to see the pics at the initial stage before erecting the pillars
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 5:27pm On Jun 22, 2016
[quote author=Vikings007 post=46822263][/quote]

Thank you sir, have not heard from you since
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 22, 2016
smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 8:00pm On Jun 22, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
you can release 6-8 capsule into the water, though if u get aquapro use it, it fights diseases,boost the immune of your fishes,also enhance their growth rate & prevent or reduce mortality rate
tnks boss, Noted.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 8:10pm On Jun 22, 2016
@Ttalk, thanks for this info...... was wondering why water management is crucial when using local feeds. Is it because local feeds and sinking feed?
Ttalk:

2mm and 3mm

Soya Meal 20%
GNC 20%

4mm
Fish meal 25-30%
Blood Meal 10%
Soya 20%
GNC 20%
Bewery Waste 15%

6mm and above
Fishmeal 10%
Soya 25%
GNC 25%

I include less than 500g of Lysine and Methonine and Vit C for 2mm and 3mm [Inclusion of Lysine for 2mm & 3mm is optional]
I incude between 500g and 1kg of Lysine and Methonine and Vit C for 4mm and above

The formula is for 100kg

Edited

Note: Your water management while using local formula especially on concrete pond must be optimum [Preferably every other day] to avoid outbreak of disease. This must be followed by careful planning of regular water supply to your ponds. Sorting to two ponds after the first two weeks is alright. Once you stock, there should be cover either tarpaulin or roofing. I cover my pond completely in the first month of stocking fingerlings with small portion to retain constant temperature. You might be lucky not to have temperature fluctuation at night in your location
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by skido04: 9:09pm On Jun 22, 2016
Vikings007:
Yeah, I was lucky enough to be added into one of the "Fish farmers" whatsapp group...more like a jackpot group, all my question are being answered on by one. smiley
please. how do I join such group. this is my first day reading this thread and I have read hundreds of pages. just constructed my pond. I really need advice and answers to some questions before I stock. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2016
skido04:
please. how do I join such group. this is my first day reading this thread and I have read hundreds of pages. just constructed my pond. I really need advice and answers to some questions before I stock. thanks
U send a pm to @ Belexyfarms.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 11:43pm On Jun 22, 2016
[quote author=ab1x post=44996579]

Need feed formulation and guide I'm a new farmer, was referred to you by @ttalk from the hidden Catfish thread. Pls kindly help me out, would have you wrote you a mail but couldn't
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 12:05am On Jun 23, 2016
Hello house still the novice farmer with a lot of questions.....
Pls i saw the local feed (pix attached) at the market has anyone tried it before and confirm it's tag and reliability since I'm still studying how to get and make my own local feed, and I might not want to risk my harvest with my experiments.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:00am On Jun 23, 2016
godwinufi68:
tnks boss, Noted.
Thank God
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by skido04: 7:37am On Jun 23, 2016
please am in Anambra state. is there anyone here that can help me out on how to buy and fix a solid 12*12 tarpoline pond. I am starting out with 2000 fingerlings and am being advice that two 12*12 pond will take 1000 fingerlings each comfortably till maturity.please more advice is needed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 9:47am On Jun 23, 2016
swagficient:
Goodmorning people. Pls, Op or any realy informed person in the house, I need to know more about the spawning and hatchery business, how do you manage to make them survive. What was the size of the pond you stocked a thousand fishes in? I know these questions would have been Answered earlier.. I just stumbled upon the thread now n its a lot of work to sift through all the pages! Thanks
My brother, HATCHERY is TECHNICAL. It requires DILIGENCE, DEDICATION & you. Been PROACTIVE & METICULOUS. Am sorry 2 say ds sir, I am personally DISAPPOINTED with the concluding part of ur post "I know these questions would have been Answered earlier.. I just stumbled upon the thread now n its a lot of work to sift through all the pages!". If you cnt be discipline enough to have time to read, how then are U sure that U'll be able to manage fries very well?

It's my personal opinion pls. I love been blunt coz I don't pretend. Pls, I hope I didn't get U offended?

Wishing you all the very best!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 9:52am On Jun 23, 2016
skido04:
please am in Anambra state. is there anyone here that can help me out on how to buy and fix a solid 12*12 tarpoline pond. I am starting out with 2000 fingerlings and am being advice that two 12*12 pond will take 1000 fingerlings each comfortably till maturity.please more advice is needed.
What's the depth of the pond?

Wishing you all the verybest!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 11:19am On Jun 23, 2016
Good morning great farmers and business men/women,
Pls i need help and guides on a situation, my fishes are like a 6weeks now started with fingerlings, but there are some few ones that just didn't grow they still remain tiny, I have sorted them out ND put them in a trampoline small pond separately and feed them but I noticed they barely eat and will just swimming around only sometimes come up as if to sniff the food and go downs again.
The food only seem to sinking and desolvkng eventually.
Pls any help; though they are few I am not ready to loose them I would like to find a solution to it and make them grow as well as learn for the sake of another time.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2016
aoladayo:
Pls i need help and guides on a situation, my fishes are like a 6weeks now started with fingerlings, but there are some few ones that just didn't grow they still remain tiny, I have sorted them out ND put them in a trampoline small pond separately and feed them but I noticed they barely eat and will just swimming around only sometimes come up as if to sniff the food and go downs again.
Pls any help; though they are few I am not ready to loose them I would like to find a solution to it and make them grow as well as learn for the sake of another time.

You dont have to worry about few stubborn fish that refuse to eat, it is natural, in fish farming you give attention to ones that are doing very
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 12:48pm On Jun 23, 2016
aoladayo:
Hello house still the novice farmer with a lot of questions.....
Pls i saw the local feed (pix attached) at the market has anyone tried it before and confirm it's tag and reliability since I'm still studying how to get and make my own local feed, and I might not want to risk my harvest with my experiments.

@aoladayo....am using d feed.....d feed is gud,bt it will b OK if u can formulate urz in dia feedmill .......are u stayin in akute area
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 2:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
No I don't but if you can help with their contact or the cost of making the local feeds

gspace1960:

@aoladayo....am using d feed.....d feed is gud,bt it will b OK if u can formulate urz in dia feedmill .......are u stayin in akute area
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MyHeroFred(m): 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2016
Please can someone add me to a whatsapp group for Fish Farmers.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2016
robonski are you on vacation? i could see you viewing the thread
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by daniyede(m): 4:47pm On Jun 23, 2016
Interesting
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:09pm On Jun 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
robonski are you on vacation? i could see you viewing the thread

Mr excel i was on a brief break, am back fully now. Thanks for keeping tab
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:18pm On Jun 23, 2016
robonski15:

Mr excel i was on a brief break, am back fully now. Thanks for keeping tab
i was missing all you guys,belexyfarm, fhemmmy and everyone, though those online too are doing great and solutions are gotten.

Welcome back, and where is that ogun state nice fishfarmer,abix, him too has being on vacation for too long and i would love to see some pics from those wonderful flowing or gushing fishponds.

All the same the thread isn't falling in expectation.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 6:31pm On Jun 23, 2016
aoladayo:
they are part of your investment and hence it will not be entirely fair to ignore them esp since u dont want to luz them. my suggestion; please get any of the following; livstovit, aqua pro or fishvite. these are multivitamins and appetite stimulant. in addition, they will also increase rate at which feeds eaten are converted and thus helping growth. as long as infections are ruled out, expect changes. regards.

n:b what type of feed are you using for them?? (important)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:38pm On Jun 23, 2016
pumppie:
they are part of your investment and hence it will not be entirely fair to ignore them esp since u dont want to luz them. my suggestion; please get any of the following; livstovit, aqua pro or fishvite. these are multivitamins and appetite stimulant. in addition, they will also increase rate at which feeds eaten are converted and thus helping growth. as long as infections are ruled out, expect changes. regards.

good counsel
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 7:29pm On Jun 23, 2016
Thank very much, they are currently on 3mm Coppens and also Pls where can I get those stuffs, I stay I Alagbado.

pumppie:

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.