Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,245 members, 7,836,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (305) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1500031 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olabakefish: 8:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
aoladayo:
Thank very much, they are currently on 3mm Coppens and also Pls where can I get those stuffs, I stay I Alagbado.

Were in Alagbado do you stay, am in kola AIT rd. You can get those at Agege or Abbartior
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 9:09pm On Jun 23, 2016
Mail me Ur whatsapp number let's talk abeg

olabakefish:

Were in Alagbado do you stay, am in kola AIT rd. You can get those at Agege or Abbartior
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 10:31pm On Jun 23, 2016
Fish farmers in the house please help me. I bought some Catfish broodstocks recently and they have refused feed for 3 days now. What do I do? I've tried changing their water and refreshing them. But still yet they refuse to eat. Please house help me. Any advice?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by swagficient(m): 10:41pm On Jun 23, 2016
Hey mate, I know where you are coming from. What you should have asked is ''why is it a lot of work for you'' and POLITELY!
Now I'm going to tell you why, I am a Freelance writer, if you know what that means you will understand how much research I do a day. So reading is the the least of my problems. Infact, it pays my bills.
You dont expect me to read all 303 pages just to ask a question. Reading it all would have cost me nothing less than 8-12 hours, thats if i spent approcimately two to 3 minutes per page! Now considering I have read through like ten of the pages and the only thing I found USEFUL were the Op's posts and updates. Now tell me why I should waste precious hours on comments that I dont necessarily need?

Note: I have been in fish business for a while now and I haven't experienced the kind of challenges the Op wrote about. The only problem was sustaining the hatched pre-fings., would appreciate if you have a solution to that. Thank you and have a pleasant night rest.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by swagficient(m): 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2016
You probably put them in a tight enclosure or the water level is too low.. Sometimes they feel lonely too! I pray you have not bought yourself a carnivorous broodstock, try giving them some intestine or small fishes to check.I have experienced that, Try putting more fishes with them, increasing the water level, put them in a larger container. If all these failed, it may be an infection...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 7:24am On Jun 24, 2016
[quote author=Vikings007 post=46825512]Yeah, I was lucky enough to be added into one of the "Fish farmers" whatsapp group...more like a jackpot group, all my question are being answered on by one. smiley [/quote

Please kindly add me to the whatsapp group 08033843462.

Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 9:12am On Jun 24, 2016
aoladayo:
Thank very much, they are currently on 3mm Coppens and also Pls where can I get those stuffs, I stay I Alagbado.

go to poultry support abattoir for livstovit and fishvite. For aqupro or livstovit, u can get that from Sabina also In abbatior. Lets know how it goes with the fella that asked u to whatsapp him. Alagbado is an area I cover very well, maybe I can make a visit to ur farm. Regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 9:19am On Jun 24, 2016
bendims:
Fish farmers in the house please help me. I bought some Catfish broodstocks recently and they have refused feed for 3 days now. What do I do? I've tried changing their water and refreshing them. But still yet they refuse to eat. Please house help me. Any advice?
something important we sometimes take for granted; when introducing brooders to our farm, its not a bad idea to discinfect them cos of possible infections from source. Pls was that the first time u bot from the farm? What size of pond did u put them? What feed are u giving dem? Regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:06am On Jun 24, 2016
bendims:
is d feed presently d same with d source's feed,how did you treat them from transportation to introduction into your pond?was d seller even feeding them prior to selling to you(reason for this question is i bought broodstock from someone,it exhibited similar issue,though i still use them & gave quite a fair result,i decided then to do some finding & he confessed that he hadnt being able to feed them for about 3-4 weeks,but i also used them after conditioning them overtime for more than 3-4 progressive hatching with good results & no feedback with any complain). Ask your seller, if there is any info he/she kept back. Also another area, is were they active at purchase & what quarantine did u undertake after
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:12am On Jun 24, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
is d feed presently d same with d source's feed,how did you treat them from transportation to introduction into your pond?was d seller even feeding them prior to selling to you(reason for this question is i bought broodstock from someone,it exhibited similar issue,though i still use them & gave quite a fair result,i decided then to do some finding & he confessed that he hadnt being able to feed them for about 3-4 weeks,but i also used them after conditioning them overtime for more than 3-4 progressive hatching with good results & no feedback with any complain). Ask your seller, if there is any info he/she kept back. Also another area is were they active at purchase & what quarantine did u undertake that
at times the quarantine method or methods use can cause a disorder to the behavioural nature of the fishes,if harsh. Though with time they could resettle to normal & healthy lifestyle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:39pm On Jun 24, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
i was missing all you guys,belexyfarm, fhemmmy and everyone, though those online too are doing great and solutions are gotten.

Welcome back, and where is that ogun state nice fishfarmer,abix, him too has being on vacation for too long and i would love to see some pics from those wonderful flowing or gushing fishponds.

All the same the thread isn't falling in expectation.
Ab1x is doing good, i will speak with him to come on line more.. fheemy belexy are doing great.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:43pm On Jun 24, 2016
robonski15:

Ab1x is doing good, i will speak with him to come on line more.. fheemy belexy are doing great.
Thank God for everyone
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gratiaeo(m): 8:34pm On Jun 24, 2016
After sorting my fishes last week,their color changed to white/grey what could be the cause,they are active and are feeding well,I change water daily.(my pond is plastic white pond).farmers in the house pls help
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 8:54pm On Jun 24, 2016
There is noting to worry about. It is normal for fishes to align with the colour of the water or container in which they are bred. I had same concern sometime back when the colour of my stock changed to( brown) the colour of the water in the pond they were kept in .
gratiaeo:
After sorting my fishes last week,their color changed to white/grey what could be the cause,they are active and are feeding well,I change water daily.(my pond is plastic white pond).farmers in the house pls help
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gratiaeo(m): 9:25pm On Jun 24, 2016
yomiknows:
There is noting to worry about. It is normal for fishes to align with the colour of the water or container in which they are bred. I had same concern sometime back when the colour of my stock changed to( brown) the colour of the water in the pond they were kept in .
Thanks nd God bless.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olabakefish: 9:29pm On Jun 24, 2016
aoladayo:
Mail me Ur whatsapp number let's talk abeg

08057410791 my whatsapp number

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 10:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
bendims:
My brother, Excelsor had really diagonise the situation but permit me to ask these 2 questions:
(1) How many are these fishes in a pond?
(2) What's the size of the pond/tank dt U keep them?
(3) What's the volume of the water that you keep them?

Thank you...
Wishing you all the very best!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 10:48pm On Jun 24, 2016
swagficient:
Hey mate, I know where you are coming from. What you should have asked is ''why is it a lot of work for you'' and POLITELY!
Now I'm going to tell you why, I am a Freelance writer, if you know what that means you will understand how much research I do a day. So reading is the the least of my problems. Infact, it pays my bills.
You dont expect me to read all 303 pages just to ask a question. Reading it all would have cost me nothing less than 8-12 hours, thats if i spent approcimately two to 3 minutes per page! Now considering I have read through like ten of the pages and the only thing I found USEFUL were the Op's posts and updates. Now tell me why I should waste precious hours on comments that I dont necessarily need?

Note: I have been in fish business for a while now and I haven't experienced the kind of challenges the Op wrote about. The only problem was sustaining the hatched pre-fings., would appreciate if you have a solution to that. Thank you and have a pleasant night rest.
I am VERY SORRY for my comment. I was only trying to help by not pretending but been blunt.
Thank you...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AgroMix(m): 12:11am On Jun 25, 2016
...contact me through e-mail.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:35am On Jun 25, 2016
Catfish may soon be out of the reach of the average Nigerian as the hike in prices of feeds has forced some fish farmers out of business, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

[b]Some farmers who spoke to NAN on Wednesday in Lagos described the development as worrisome, calling on government to ensure price stability in the industry. NAN reports that Skretting Feeds had in the first week of June increased the price of a bag of its 2mm feed from about N5, 000 to N8, 000. A farmer, Mr Emmanuel Ogharegbe, said that many of his colleagues had since abandoned the business, due to arbitrary hike in the prices of feeds. Ogharegbe said the price hike did not translate to an increase in the price of fish as fish traders operated a cartel that could frustrate any increase in per kilo price of fish.

Another farmer, Mrs Josephine Obi, wondered how she would survive if the price of feed continued to increase. “On June 1, I received a text message from a woman who was selling feeds to me announcing an increase in the prices of feeds. “Early this year, a Coppens Feeds increased its price and we shifted allegiance to Skretting Feeds. Now, the price of our new brand has increased by more than 50 per cent. Her colleague, Mr Olushola Ogundele, who decried the hike in feed price, appealed to the Federal Government to come up with a policy that would ensure price stability in the agricultural sector. Ogundele said that government’s intervention was critical to forestalling the scarcity of catfish in the country.

Another farmer, Mrs Beatrice Okpara, said that most of her colleagues were no longer in the farming business due to power outages and the increasing price of feeds. “The price of fish meal, a major component for formulating fish feeds, increased from N500 per kilo to about N800 per kilo in the space of two months. “If it continues like this, it will affect optimal production of fish,’’ Okpara said. Also, Mr Joseph Makinde, a fingerlings producer, said the imported feeds were critical in raising fish in the early phase of their life.

NAN recalls that Chief Tayo Akingbolagun, President of the Catfish Farmers Association of Nigeria, had on Jan. 11 told fish farmers to shun Coppens Feeds, over its arbitrary hike in prices. Akingbolagun said that the 50 per cent increment in the price of Coppens 2mm feeds, was a reflection of the company’s unfriendly posture in the market. He said that the 2mm Coppens Feeds being sold for N5, 000 suddenly increased to N7, 500 during the yuletide, a development that put many farmers into difficulty[/b].

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/catfish-scarcity-looms/
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:49am On Jun 25, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

My brother, Excelsor had really diagonise the situation but permit me to ask these 2 questions:
(1) How many are these fishes in a pond?
(2) What's the size of the pond/tank dt U keep them?
(3) What's the volume of the water that you keep them?

Thank you...
brother naa all of us dey do the work. Good addition
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:24am On Jun 25, 2016
Robonski in reference D extract you posted from vanguard,my advice to fishfarmers that dont want to be swept away by the present trend of event is for all to look inward & profer solutions that would aid them stabilize even if feeds reach N10,000.One of such decision would be to get alternative in feeding.Why surrender when u can innovate?when i was during poultry in lagos,i heard someone that most/all that is good for the birds should be good for fishes too,then i took up the challenge to experiment & i discover that livestovit(though not written on their containers) is v good & aids fish growth,but d most important aspect is in comparison to other multivitamins,it doesn't pollute fish water or cause death.Same is Aquapro.Will u have constructed ponds worth 500k or more & because of this little challenge u leave it to waste(except u are renting it),if u come to me that you need funds(if i have)or any financial institution,no one will be willing to give.Why?previous event had shown that u might abandon d new

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:48am On Jun 25, 2016
i once mentioned that do we have cotton cake & sesame cake here(i think the northern part should have something like that), if u have information & cost,please post it,lets begin to think of how we could make feed producers come to appreciate the fishfarmers that make them to even be in business.In reference to the two products i mentioned earlier,i have a formula that i got maybe about 10years back,it is 45-47%cp even without using fishmeal(you use bloodmeal).You can take for analysis in a laboratory. REMEMBER I AM NOT SELLING ANY FORMULA.If we have a positive answer for d cotton cake & sesame cake with cost,and iam able to easily locate where i kept it,i would post d formula,we calculate for 100kg & check by converting to a bag of 15kg to see if it is cheap or not.Also i would encourage others to bring possible solutions so our farmers will remain in business.D local feed producers here too could assist or you formulate your feed yourself(even if its going to be expensive,but you are sure of making profit)

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:59am On Jun 25, 2016
Less i forget to mention that whatever feed or feed formula that you get,try to test run it first on some & evaluate performance. That means maybe a bag or two so that resources wont be lost. And any less quality feed could always be improve upon by doing reprocessing,grinding,addition of desired quality composition,repelleting & drying process,provided the feed isn't expire before during this.

ALL THE BEST AND BELIEVE ALL SHALL BE WELL.

JESUS IS LORD
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:23am On Jun 25, 2016
bendims:
# they will eat don't worry... could be change of environment. Hunger will not arm dem. I starve mine 2weeks wen I wana de-fat dem.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:45am On Jun 25, 2016
robonski15:
Catfish may soon be out of the reach of the average Nigerian as the hike in prices of feeds has forced some fish farmers out of business, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

[b]Some farmers who spoke to NAN on Wednesday in Lagos described the development as worrisome, calling on government to ensure price stability in the industry. NAN reports that Skretting Feeds had in the first week of June increased the price of a bag of its 2mm feed from about N5, 000 to N8, 000. A farmer, Mr Emmanuel Ogharegbe, said that many of his colleagues had since abandoned the business, due to arbitrary hike in the prices of feeds. Ogharegbe said the price hike did not translate to an increase in the price of fish as fish traders operated a cartel that could frustrate any increase in per kilo price of fish.

Another farmer, Mrs Josephine Obi, wondered how she would survive if the price of feed continued to increase. “On June 1, I received a text message from a woman who was selling feeds to me announcing an increase in the prices of feeds. “Early this year, a Coppens Feeds increased its price and we shifted allegiance to Skretting Feeds. Now, the price of our new brand has increased by more than 50 per cent. Her colleague, Mr Olushola Ogundele, who decried the hike in feed price, appealed to the Federal Government to come up with a policy that would ensure price stability in the agricultural sector. Ogundele said that government’s intervention was critical to forestalling the scarcity of catfish in the country.

Another farmer, Mrs Beatrice Okpara, said that most of her colleagues were no longer in the farming business due to power outages and the increasing price of feeds. “The price of fish meal, a major component for formulating fish feeds, increased from N500 per kilo to about N800 per kilo in the space of two months. “If it continues like this, it will affect optimal production of fish,’’ Okpara said. Also, Mr Joseph Makinde, a fingerlings producer, said the imported feeds were critical in raising fish in the early phase of their life.

NAN recalls that Chief Tayo Akingbolagun, President of the Catfish Farmers Association of Nigeria, had on Jan. 11 told fish farmers to shun Coppens Feeds, over its arbitrary hike in prices. Akingbolagun said that the 50 per cent increment in the price of Coppens 2mm feeds, was a reflection of the company’s unfriendly posture in the market. He said that the 2mm Coppens Feeds being sold for N5, 000 suddenly increased to N7, 500 during the yuletide, a development that put many farmers into difficulty[/b].

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/catfish-scarcity-looms/
Oga Rob! Let's form a cartel too... let move to local feed they will come begging us wiv their air-blown feed. We hav ppl that feed 8weeks seed local feed and @ 5months buyers complain of over-weight. I don't use artemia for my frie i use local for dem n I hav 95% success rate. My fish buyers call everyday to ask if I hav fish or hav som1 dt wana sell they buy @ my price now. My final advice to farmers is to stock wat deh can feed. Best of Luck!!!

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 9:38am On Jun 25, 2016
chilanfarms:
Oga Rob! Let's form a cartel too... let move to local feed they will come begging us wiv their air-blown feed. We hav ppl that feed 8weeks seed local feed and @ 5months buyers complain of over-weight. I don't use artemia for my frie i use local for dem n I hav 95% success rate. My fish buyers call everyday to ask if I hav fish or hav som1 dt wana sell they buy @ my price now. My final advice to farmers is to stock wat deh can feed. Best of Luck!!!
Well said @ Chillian
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:41pm On Jun 25, 2016
chilanfarms:
brother do you think a successful cartel can be form? when you dont spend from same purse,when needs differ,when location differ,when urgency isn't the same? lets start from you to assist breeders,share your local formula that you use for saving cost

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
pls I need 800g-1kg catfish around sango/iyana Iyesi axis
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 6:20am On Jun 26, 2016
Forming a cartel may not be feasible to be honest, i strongly believe that a starting point is for all to appreciate that we have the solution to this hike in foreign feeds. we should know the following;
1. we have most if not all of the materials needed here in Nigeria.
2. fish meal (animal protein), which happens to be the most expensive of all the materials can be totally replaced with a combination of plant protein and a cheap animal protein (blood meal) to still give a very wonderful FCR and result.

For example, in my farm we have used a combination of soya (sbm), Groundnut cake (Gnc), cerelac waste and blood meal without fish meal. however, to be very effective we use lysine and methionine of 0.05kg/ 100kg at least, in addition to premix, other drugs and vitamins. finally, for grow out, we always supplement the pelleted feed with livstovit to improve any loss in nutrient during drying. the result has always been fantastic. there is no magic about this, fish meal contains certain amino acid not present or limited in plant protein so what do we do? we boost the plant protein by increasing lysine and methionine to an acceptable and tolerable level.

I know the issue of palatability still comes in, that can also be sorted. Gnc itself is palatiable, if u have access to fish oil please make use of it. also the generous inclusion of lysine and methionine usually will produce maximum feeding response and feed ingestion. this is an area where the supplementary livstovit comes in. please colleagues, if you are using cheaper localy produced feeds like vital and top feed for e.g, try adding livstovit to your feed and come and tell us here what you observe in terms of result.

As it stands, a lot of farmers are pulling out from the business and it pains me to see this happen. however, with perseverance and ingenuity , we shall all overcome this challenge of hike in feeds. Best regards

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 6:46am On Jun 26, 2016
GarbaNigLtd:
Buy with full confidence.
thanks for the info...... Sir, what is the NAME of the feed?

(1) (2) (3) ... (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.