Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,413 members, 7,850,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:05 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1504559 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 8:14am On Jun 26, 2016
Good morning sirs... I am of the notion that treatment shouldn't be given to the fishes until we see a death or two which I think it isn't wise enough. What drugs can one give to the fishes maybe on a daily, weekly or monthly basis to prevent them against any infection which may lead to death. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 1kinggy(m): 9:09am On Jun 26, 2016
godwinufi68:
Gudm sir, how about tarpaulin cos i hav tarpaulin pond... Which figure should i multiply wit? Awaiting ur response God bless.

Please, how well do fishes do in tarpaulin ponds.
I'm considering buying from benuwatts. Com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gratiaeo(m): 12:19pm On Jun 26, 2016
At what time of the day is advisable to change water in the fish pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2016
omisakint:
Good morning sirs... I am of the notion that treatment shouldn't be given to the fishes until we see a death or two which I think it isn't wise enough. What drugs can one give to the fishes maybe on a daily, weekly or monthly basis to prevent them against any infection which may lead to death. Thanks.
funny brother,you have a notion,yet you still ask for treatment. Let me not say much, get aquapro & livestovit. If the feed quality is deficient,vitamin C. Maybe doctors in the house could educate us what treatment is.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2016
@Omisakint, pls is your pond located near a swampy area? I dug two pond of about two feet and we did not meet water. Thinking of piping it and running from the bore hole will waste water as it will be draining the water.

I have asked them to make it deeper like four feet so see if will will meet water cos it's on the island where water is.

Please all gurus advise. Thanks.

@Excelsiorfarm, I see you oo. Pls help with this. Thanks.

Pumppie, I see you too.

All the gurus pls help.
Note: I want to bag it round.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:36pm On Jun 26, 2016
gratiaeo:
At what time of the day is advisable to change water in the fish pond
Necessity dictates, though some might same at cool of the day,others when the sun is fair,but necessity counts. Will your water that you observe to be polluted & your fishes hanging due to high ammonia or low oxygen that you normally change in the morning,but now you are in the afternoon/evening wait till morning of the following day before you change water? if that is the case,just know that by then.........
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2016
omisakint:
prevention they say is better than cure and this also aplly to catfish. However most catfish diseases are opportunistic. Hence u must ensure good management practise by feeding regularly and adequately to avoid nutritional diseases. Also always maintain good water quality. Having said this, u can apply drugs and some chemicals as prophylaxis as u like maybe daily or weekly. D most common chemical u can use is common salt. Apart from killing some disease organism it stimulate fish appetite and improves resistance to handling. U can also use antibîtocs like chloraphenicol, oxytetracycline, procain penicillin, aquaceryl and fishbiotic. They can be added to feed or into their water. U can also use chemicals like pottasium permanganate, formalin and malachite green but be careful not to overdose for all d drugs and chemicals. Use only as recommended. I hope this helps? Regards.

N:b I didnt talk about aquapro and livstovite before some will say we are marketing for d producers...na joke oh. but trust me this too are equally important .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 1:50pm On Jun 26, 2016
Please can I avoid to use flow through when hatching. Rain fell yesterday nd d colour of our well water has changed to brown. I AV very little water in my tank, thinking of not using flow through
Pls wil I get a successful production
Urgent replies please
AV laid my eggs since 8am dis morning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:51pm On Jun 26, 2016
olubankemi:
@Omisakint, pls is your pond located near a swampy area? I dug two pond of about two feet and we did not meet water. Thinking of piping it and running from the bore hole will waste water as it will be draining the water.

I have asked them to make it deeper like four feet so see if will will meet water cos it's on the island where water is.

Please all gurus advise. Thanks.

@Excelsiorfarm, I see you oo. Pls help with this. Thanks.

Pumppie, I see you too.

All the gurus pls help.
Note: I want to bag it round.
2ft isn't enough 2 make a conclusion,but what could be assume is that though a swampy location as you said,d water table/air pore allowing water isnt close to ground surface.Let the diggers reach your suppose 4 feet,if same result,i wouldnt really encourage that spot,maybe try another,because there is tendency that it could b a stagnant pond & i dont really encourage too deep a pond for safety purposes.As u come dey c me now,u b monitoring spirit?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 2:05pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:
Please can I avoid to use flow through when hatching. Rain fell yesterday nd d colour of our well water has changed to brown. I AV very little water in my tank, thinking of not using flow through
Urgent replies please
as long ás u don't over crowd d eggs in the vats u are fine. Its better to still get something out of this set than risking with a compromised water all in d name of flow through. Regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:05pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:
Urgent replies please
hmmmmm, had same experiences before & let me give you ideas i used,i bought a 50 litre pierce it a little,i mean LITTLE & place it over d hatchery tank,i had to drive to fetch the water from another locality,very stressful. Another time i used the brown water & continued my flow through,after about a day,it settled,but lot of work for separating spoilt eggs,dead fries etc. Another case i didnt do any flow through,because of d condition on ground. The truth is some was successful,some failed. Flowthrough is important for high success
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 2:26pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
hmmmmm, had same experiences before & let me give you ideas i used,i bought a 50 litre pierce it a little,i mean LITTLE & place it over d hatchery tank,i had to drive to fetch the water from another locality,very stressful. Another time i used the brown water & continued my flow through,after about a day,it settled,but lot of work for separating spoilt eggs,dead fries etc. Another case i didnt do any flow through,because of d condition on ground. The truth is some was successful,some failed. Flowthrough is important for high success
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thanks a lot
AV done three productions, loosing all my fries after three weeks and am kind of nervous about this
I hope to take to all precautions, please any advice is welcome ooooo
Hoping for success
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 2:31pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thanks a lot
AV done three productions, loosing all my fries after three weeks and am kind of nervous about this
Hoping for success[img][/img]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:44pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Thanks a lot
Hoping for success[img][/img]
for you to had reach the third week shows you are as good to be successful in hatchery business,get aquapro & be using it(it is important to state it clearly to everyone that i dont have any form of relationship with the makers of this product). You will come back & testify.Wherever you get confuse,you can post here,if school work doesn't make me available,lots of gurus could assist. Also watch the feeding at this time,if possible give them flowthrough. Your testimony shall come.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 2:53pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
for you to had reach the third week shows you are as good to be successful in hatchery business,get aquapro & be using it(it is important to state it clearly to everyone that i dont have any form of relationship with the makers of this product). You will come back & testify.Wherever you get confuse,you can post here,if school work doesn't make me available,lots of gurus could assist. Also watch the feeding at this time,if possible give them flowthrough. Your testimony shall come.
Amen nd God bless yu real big
It's kind of relieving aving som1 to answer my questns
Pls at wot stage shld I start applying d Aqua pro and is it advisable to be changing d water alone without cleaning d VAT
Learnt cleaning d VAT might be a disturbance to d newly hatched fries
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 3:06pm On Jun 26, 2016
pumppie:
prevention they say is better than cure and this also aplly to catfish. However most catfish diseases are opportunistic. Hence u must ensure good management practise by feeding regularly and adequately to avoid nutritional diseases. Also always maintain good water quality. Having said this, u can apply drugs and some chemicals as prophylaxis as u like maybe daily or weekly. D most common chemical u can use is common salt. Apart from killing some disease organism it stimulate fish appetite and improves resistance to handling. U can also use antibîtocs like chloraphenicol, oxytetracycline, procain penicillin, aquaceryl and fishbiotic. They can be added to feed or into their water. U can also use chemicals like pottasium permanganate, formalin and malachite green but be careful not to overdose for all d drugs and chemicals. Use only as recommended. I hope this helps? Regards.

N:b I didnt talk about aquapro and livstovite before some will say we are marketing for d producers...na joke oh. but trust me this too are equally important .

What else do you I want? Thanks for your input. God bless you for us

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:13pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Amen nd God bless yu real big
It's kind of relieving aving som1 to answer my questns
Pls at wot stage shld I start applying d Aqua pro and is it advisable to be changing d water alone without cleaning d VAT
Learnt cleaning d VAT might be a disturbance to d newly hatched fries
others 2 lend a helping hand by answering,i could also say it is like shifting duty in the hospital. u might not have me here tomorrow,others takeover & otherwise. Though not planned.u have to clean,those slime on d vat is a good reason many fishes are lost. For aquapro,a week after they start eating is okay,small quantity. I do clean mine using a washed & disinfected foam.When i clean i dont disturb them,they even run from d foam,but i make sure that i use a gliding technique to do the job.I make sure there is no room beneath the foam for any fish 2 go under & i dont lift my hand(with experience u could device a means that suit u best).Since u said 3wks,it is easier,Amen 2 d prayer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 3:19pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
others too lend a helping hand by answering,i could also say it is like shifting duty in the hospital. You might not have me here tomorrow,others takeover & otherwise. Though not planned. You have to clean,those slime on d vat is a good reason many fishes are lost. For aquapro,a week after they start eating is okay,small quantity. I do clean mine using a washed & disinfected foam.When i clean i dont disturb them,they even run from d foam,but i make sure that i use a gliding technique to do the job.I make sure there is no room beneath the foam for any fish to go under & i dont lift my hand(with experience you could device a means that suit you best).Since you said 3wks,it is easier
Thanks a lot
Just 7hrs after laying d eggs
I pray to come back here with testimonies
OP, hope am not bothering yu with too many questions, we women r kind of inquisitive nd full of anxiety
Does d quantity of water that flows in really matter
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2016
GarbaNigLtd:
Buy with full confidence.

NAIRALANDERS SHOULD NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAMMER.

I DON'T KNOW WHY NAIRALAND MODERATORS HAVE NOT DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SCAMMER.

You're a Fraudster,u're not even tired of duping pple, thief, Nairalanders he's Fraud don't pay into his acc

Nobody should deal with this person called GarbaNigLtd. Do so at your own risk. Be warned!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
funny brother,you have a notion,yet you still ask for treatment. Let me not say much, get aquapro & livestovit. If the feed quality is deficient,vitamin C. Maybe doctors in the house could educate us what treatment is.

Lol, I said which I think isn't wise enough.

I will get those tomorrow. Thanks a lot bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:28pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Thanks a lot
Just 7hrs after laying d eggs
I pray to come back here with testimonies
OP, hope am not bothering yu with too many questions, we women r kind of inquisitive nd full of anxiety
Does d quantity of water that flows in really matter
i am not the op here, we are only supporting strikers. Dont worry i understand women, i am happily married. Not the quantity,but quality.I pray everything goes great,Amen. For future purposes, not allow the water height to be too much/high,though not applicable to hatchlings,but applicable from 4-5days,because they have to go up for oxygen
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2016
omisakint:

Lol, I said which I think isn't wise enough.

I will get those tomorrow. Thanks a lot bro
Thank God bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:44pm On Jun 26, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
i am not the op here, we are only supporting strikers. Dont worry i understand women, i am happily married. Not the quantity,but quality.I pray everything goes great,Amen. For future purposes, not allow the water height to be too much/high,though not applicable to hatchlings,but applicable from 4-5days,because they have to go up for oxygen
Lol
Thanks alot
Please do yu mean dat I shld not allow d water level to be too high after hatching
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 1:51am On Jun 27, 2016
Pls a short concern as a new farmer to be cleared with assistance please, I have a 6weeks old Catfish sorted into 2ponds (300/200) their average size as at the last time I sort them is about 100g and some don't feed well especially the 200set, Their lengths are like 5-8inch and I have identified some few ones I'm about concluding to be runts as they just refuse to grow..

Are these normal or smaller for their size

N. B. I bought them at post fingerlings stage 7wks old

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:05am On Jun 27, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Lol
Thanks alot
Please do yu mean dat I shld not allow d water level to be too high after hatching
initially all the oxygen are/is gotten from the water,but when they start feeding,aside the oxygen in the water,the fishes come upward to get oxygen from the air at times(depending on oxygen concentration). Since you are already getting to 3 weeks,all this wouldnt be a limiting factor for you,but if your water height is too much for your young fingerlings,it could result to mortality in some cases.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:11am On Jun 27, 2016
aoladayo:
Pls a short concern as a new farmer to be cleared with assistance please, I have a 6weeks old Catfish sorted into 2ponds (300/200) their average size as at the last time I sort them is about 100g and some don't feed well especially the 200set, Their lengths are like 5-8inch and I have identified some few ones I'm about concluding to be runts as they just refuse to grow..

Are these normal or smaller for their size

N. B. I bought them at post fingerlings stage 7wks old
is that their pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 6:22am On Jun 27, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
initially all the oxygen are/is gotten from the water,but when they start feeding,aside the oxygen in the water,the fishes come upward to get oxygen from the air at times(depending on oxygen concentration). Since you are already getting to 3 weeks,all this wouldnt be a limiting factor for you,but if your water height is too much for your young fingerlings,it could result to mortality in some cases.
Kk. Thanks a lot. God bless you
First time il sleep through d night while breeding. I had peace
Today is just day 2 ooooo. Laid d egg yesterday, Will be removing d net today
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:39am On Jun 27, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

Thank God. What is d result?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pearlyfish: 8:55am On Jun 27, 2016
Hormohtoondeh:

I am following.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:24am On Jun 27, 2016
[quote author=excelsiorfarm post=46968540]Thank God. What is d result?[/quote
Am yet to remove d net
I can only see very light green eggs Nd few white eggs. Yet to notice any movement. I am scared ooooo. I hope am still on track embarassed
Still flowing water through
Planning to remove d net by 1pm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hormohtoondeh(f): 10:25am On Jun 27, 2016
[quote author=excelsiorfarm post=46968540]Thank God. What is d result?[/quote
Am yet to remove d net
I can only see very light green eggs Nd few white eggs. Yet to notice any movement. I am scared ooooo. I hope am still on track
Still flowing water through
Planning to remove d net by 1pm

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.