Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (456) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491291 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afnahfarms(m): 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2018
tolase220:
Fish farming can destroy people's economy if not well handled. I stopped believing the hype after a major loss!
" if not well handled" All businesses.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ibro2star: 7:54am On Aug 13, 2018
Walexp:

sorry bro...i have 2m by 5m by 1.1m high how many fishes can i have there
Hi bro, I need ur contact, I have bn to Vgn page so dat we chat
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by imercyclara: 5:49pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hi , I'm Mercy from Aba, am a fish farmer and am glad to join the forum.
justkay:
Good afternoon Nairalanders. Please how much are juveniles sold in Yenagoa, Bayelsa? Someone told me it is 700 naira cry and i still find it very hard to believe.

How many do you need.
You can. Transport fingerlings over long distances with little or no mortality using oxygen.
You can buy from Aba or a close place
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by imercyclara: 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2018
fisher777:
Hello nice people! Farmers and farmers friends, I hope the fishes are being cared for properly. Well, its been a while. Pls ask your technical questions and as usual I'll try to offer my opinion....I beg to decline responding to questions regarding how much money to do this and that. Like I have said earlier, a newbie needs a mentor. There are farmers in every state so if you are really serious about doing aquaculture you are required to connect with a farmer before you start so find one or two in your state or outside your state and hold their hands.

Please, if I may suggest to those looking to produce their own fish feed...that stuff is capital intensive and not for newbies. Besides it requires vast knowledge on nutrients and feed composition among other factors. If it were easy the best brands of products in the market won't sell above 5k today. There are low cost feeds in the market which are quite good... Enof said for now pls.

The bros/sis asking after blood meal for feed composition... Pls note that it is not advocated. Besides scriptural reasons for sanctity of blood(any organisms blood) do you have the means to verify each time that the blood you wish to use is pathogen free? Are you aware of zoonotic diseases? Are you aware of the variables that influence fish growth, or do you assume its all about Crude protein? What about digestibility of the said nutrient? As already mentioned, fish meal is your best option here. Take note that we are working to eliminate animal proteins from feeds.....literally we want to stop feeding fish with fish before we can eat fish. It is accomplished already and we are working towards making it commercially viable.

Good day all!

Fish feed formulation is not a big deal and there are affordable machines as low as 400,000 naira for the production of floating fish feed.
And as you said the use of blood meal is risky, it's high in crude protein buy also increase your risk factors in farming when not properly processed.

I can help out with your feed formulation requests.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by imercyclara: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2018
Osinachiadinma:
Hello wonderful people I greet you all. My particular greetings to Robonski15 who created this thread. I have been on it for days now and I am already feeling like a catfish farmer. Each time I read through the questions and answers I hardly have time to attend to anything else; it is more like an encyclopedia. Thanks so much.
Now I have this burning desire to start my own catfish farm in Udi Enugu state but I need answers to these following questions
1. Do we have any known catfish farm in Enugu that I can visit for information or mentoring?
2. What is the correct PH for water to be used for spawning or rearing of juveniles?
Please I need urgent answers to these questions so I can take off now that the zeal is fresh. Thanks to our contributors as I continue to read and gather more knowledge. thanks.

I have a fish farm, I'm based in Aba though and I've been farming for 8 years now.
Yea I can be of help, I hatch too.

Juveniles are tolerant to a broad range of pH, the issue of pH comes up when you're hatching bro.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hexilon: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2018
I binge-read 456 pages kiss, thanks guys..
Time to work..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Youngext: 8:37pm On Aug 14, 2018
imercyclara:

Fish feed formulation is not a big deal and there are affordable machines as low as 400,000 naira for the production of floating fish feed.
And as you said the use of blood meal is risky, it's high in crude protein buy also increase your risk factors in farming when not properly processed.

I can help out with your feed formulation requests.
Where can one get that kind of machine?
And Pictures if any. Please
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 9:53pm On Aug 14, 2018
imercyclara:

I have a fish farm, I'm based in Aba though and I've been farming for 8 years now.
Yea I can be of help, I hatch too.

Juveniles are tolerant to a broad range of pH, the issue of pH comes up when you're hatching bro.

Can we talk on watsap. Based in umuahia., I need some clarification. 07038714951
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by imercyclara: 8:24am On Aug 15, 2018
Youngext:

Some are Available in the market locally but at higher prices, the best way is to purchase online , you can even get at lower costs but freight usually takes 3-5 weeks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kazeemmuka(m): 10:21am On Aug 15, 2018
7,000 fast growing clarias fingerlings available in Abule-egba Lagos. Pchat 08022456638, Call 08037456799.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2018
Substantial quantity of healthy, gravid and high quality catfish broodstocks, to meet your catfish fingerlings production needs always available, at Ogba, in Lagos.

Broodstocks details:
Clarias Gariepinus
1. Females - Age - 21Months
2. Males - Age - 14 Months
3. Females - Age - 15 Months
Size : 1kg -2.5kg.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by justkay: 5:16pm On Aug 16, 2018
Hi Nairalanders! I done come again o. Please how much do i need to raise 10,000 catfish to maturity (7 months in view) in an earthen pond?

Or better still how much do i need to raise one catfish to maturity (7 months in view)?

God bless you all!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoukane(m): 5:25pm On Aug 16, 2018
Order your Chuvaak Mobile Fish Pond for optimum production.
Please call 08167675704

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by babakk2(m): 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2018
Please house I want to crop my pond for this ileya festival.
How much is fish per now, because I have buyer and I don't want him to cheat me.
I am living in osogbo
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by taovilla: 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2018
10000 healthy fingerlings available for sale in Ibadan
Call/whatapp 07069412017
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:46pm On Aug 18, 2018
Youngext:

Send a WhatsApp message to 09051843573 for double sure extruder for floating feed. Or leave a mail to oscarvictor93@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by micgray100(m): 6:03pm On Aug 18, 2018
Greetings to all guru in the house.. Robonski, excel, and the rest..

I need you gurus in this business to shed more light to current status of fish feeds in this catfish business..

As you all know that 80 percent cost of production goes into fish feeds..

I need you guys to ideally break it down in piece the expectations of the use of formulated feed Vs already bag feed using 1000 unit of fishes as example..

I see comments of over hype here on this trend. .. And if this continues.. The trend may collapse..

Please I beg the gurus in this trend.. To try do what is expected of them.. So young farmers can gain back the confidence we once had on this trend...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kneyo(m): 6:24pm On Aug 18, 2018
Fingerlings and Juveniles available.
Farm Location: Ikotun
Whatsapp: 07053428040
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mekd: 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2018
Gud evening..Between maize and wheat bran. Which is better for formulating fish feed.. Please I need a quick response
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2018
micgray100:
Greetings to all guru in the house.. Robonski, excel, and the rest..

I need you gurus in this business to shed more light to current status of fish feeds in this catfish business..

As you all know that 80 percent cost of production goes into fish feeds..

I need you guys to ideally break it down in piece the expectations of the use of formulated feed Vs already bag feed using 1000 unit of fishes as example..

I see comments of over hype here on this trend. .. And if this continues.. The trend may collapse..

Please I beg the gurus in this trend.. To try do what is expected of them.. So young farmers can gain back the confidence we once had on this trend...

please you could rephrase your question using simpler terms...leave the matters of politicians to them...everything is easy for them till they're elected..we are farmers and intending farmers, simple.

be specific and direct with your inquiry hopefully someone who knows will respond

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fisher777(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
mekd:
Gud evening..Between maize and wheat bran. Which is better for formulating fish feed.. Please I need a quick response
each one has its contribution. feed formulation requires knowledge of feed ingredients, type of machine to use for processing, expected nutrient composition of finished feed, type of fish to be fed, purpose of fish culture, culture system intended, ....and others.

you may search online for nutrient composition of feed stuffs so you can know what you're adding and what to expect as finished product pending your machine's processing capability-(not capacity yet) and your technical skill.

IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO SIMPLY TAKE A FORMULA , BUY THE FEED STUFF AND "FORMULATE" SOMETHING. please be careful

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by owoson(m): 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2018
mekd:
This mini extruder can make floating fish feed
@mekd is there a bigger version of the extruder and the feed formular for it is it different from the sinking type formular? if yes can you please share my email oluseun09@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickifeanyi47(m): 11:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
How much will it take on average to feed 500 juveniles to mileage size. How many bags will be needed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oluyemioy(m): 1:13am On Aug 22, 2018
Please kindly add me to the fish farming whatsapp group.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by globalfanz(m): 8:34am On Aug 22, 2018
Good morning my big ogas in the house. All + plenty protocols dully observed. I have put up all the necessary apparatus for hatching and I am ready. Sometimes when you are ready for something you see many opinions contrary to what you know. At this juncture, please sir, How many times do you feed a newly hatched fry a day? Thanks for your kind answer.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afnahfarms(m): 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2018
globalfanz:
Good morning my big ogas in the house. All + plenty protocols dully observed. I have put up all the necessary apparatus for hatching and I am ready. Sometimes when you are ready for something you see many opinions contrary to what you know. At this juncture, please sir, How many times do you feed a newly hatched fry a day? Thanks for your kind answer.
At a start feed twice not only that watch if they are eating it then very small plssss....just like a pinch of salt.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afnahfarms(m): 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2018
globalfanz:
At a start feed twice not only that watch if they are eating it then very small plssss....just like a pinch of salt. Good luck!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Power55: 9:17pm On Aug 22, 2018
Greetings
I have lost my entire savings to catfish farming because of Ignorance and need some help..
1.How can i cal. numbers of fishes to stock?(to avoid overstocking)
2.How much will it cost to grow 2500 juvenile to 0.5kg or 0.7kg each for at least 3 to 4 months(formula for cal. Will be appreciated)
3.My fish pond water never turns green and this gets me worked up,pls i need solution to this.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ndego1993: 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2018
Please what is your price for a 12/12/10 sized tarpauline pond and whats your location?
aoukane:
Order your Chuvaak Mobile Fish Pond for optimum production.
Please call 08167675704
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by haywire1: 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2018
Power55:
Greetings
I have lost my entire savings to catfish farming because of Ignorance and need some help..
2.How much will it cost to grow 2500 juvenile to 0.5kg or 0.7kg each for at least 3 to 4 months(formula for cal. Will be appreciated)
3.My fish pond water never turns green and this gets me worked up,pls i need solution to this.

Firstly sorry for your lose

1. You can calculate number of fish to stock base on the size of your pond

2. Budget btw 300 to 500k which includes cost of feed,water fuel et.c

3. You don’t need green water to raise catfish or what do you mean by water turning green

You can message me on whatsapp if you need additional information, my phone number is on my profile

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by haywire1: 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2018
Power55:
Greetings

Firstly sorry for your lose

1. You can calculate number of fish to stock base on the size of your pond

2. Budget btw 300 to 500k which includes cost of feed,water fuel et.c

3. You don’t need green water to raise catfish or what do you mean by water turning green

You can message me on whatsapp if you need additional information, my phone number is on my profile

(1) (2) (3) ... (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.