Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (506) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492808 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by greenmonk: 6:19pm On Dec 04, 2020
excelsiorfarm:
HOW TO REDUCE YOUR FISH FARMING PRODUCTION COST :-
The major challenge in fish farming is how do you feed your fishes. Today it interest me to t The teach you some crude methods that possibly could reduce your feeding cost.
The truth is if fuel price increases, feeding cost would increase and presently feeds are not cheap.
Let's start from the hatchery, those days when we began fish business in Nigeria, even the major names in the business in hatchery go to stagnant waters and gutters to get daphnia to feed their fries. It is free, only that you will have to dump your fine face status or big man or woman position to get them. In the alternative, pay boys to do the job.
You don't have to buy artemia, daphnia are live feeds that your fishes we thank you for and they we also grow fast on. That is for breeders at the early stage. No matter the quantity, it does not pollute or kill your fishes. Just disinfect. I tried then to culture it iin concrete ponds, but after about three days the heat killed them and never had the time to revisit it.
Your fingerlings could be fed with the dried yellow of eggs, which is high in protein or with cooked or fresh minced meat, Don't overfeed and you will not have problems.
If you could raise maggots, your MATURED FINGERLINGS COULD BE FED WITH IT, HOWEVER, EXCESS WILL CREATE PROBLEMS.
For big fishes, if earthen, poultry waste e.g excreta, intestines, dead birds that could be process. I also used EBA AND FISH MEAL MIXED. Feeding them indomies, not the ones you buy for kids(will be expensive).
You can feed your fishes kitchen waste too, however be prepare for good water management.
If earthen ponds, pray planktons grow or tadpoles eggs are laid in the ponds or get termites(can be done in concrete ponds too , get duckweed, water lily yo limit it to this.
I wish you all the best. If you need an comprehensive ebook on fish farming, and i have a ebook, step by step details from hatchery, feeding, feed formulation, grow out, oxygen addition etc. Consultants, Academicians, practicing fish farmers, intending fish farmers have found it valuable asset for fish farming business.

Kkju
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by opendo21(m): 10:11am On Dec 06, 2020
I have over 70,000 ijebu (post-fry) for sale... all clarias... Anyone interested should call me on 08139650611.

Thanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Peezzy(f): 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2020
Smoked fish for sale in very large quantity, hundreds of kg. Interested buyers should hit me up.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2020
bilag17:

1. What's the production capacity ?

2. If you raised Form M for the purchase, and have all relevant clearing documents, may be easier to clear, otherwise you may have to pay as much as the cost of the machine to clear, because of the "Nigerian Factor "
On the other hand, there are some Chinese sellers, who will charge you a certain percentage of the cost of machine for Customs clearance and duty, then you collect at their warehouse (they may say you won't pay anything again), but it's usually a different story when your machine, which you have paid for is already in Nigeria.

We have people who sell the exact machine in Nigeria, although there are others fabricated in Nigeria - shine your eyes.

You have to consider the power consumption of the machine. Most of them with high production capacity operate on 3 Phase power supply, which I know is not readily available in this country.
Then, to run the machine, you require a 3 phase generator of nothing less than 20 kVa.

Think very well.
Climax is that most of these machines are ingredients selective - the Major problem.

the machine is 60kg/hr, how do I get this form M or how will I access a Chinese agent that’ll ship directly to Nigeria for me to pick up at their warehouse, seems you’ve been doing this a lot
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 11:06am On Dec 08, 2020
mfm04622:

3 phase supply is not readily available in Nigeria? Which Nigeria is this?
are you saying Nigerian power supply can contain the engine ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 1:01pm On Dec 08, 2020
Rik500k:
the machine is 60kg/hr, how do I get this form M or how will I access a Chinese agent that’ll ship directly to Nigeria for me to pick up at their warehouse, seems you’ve been doing this a lot

Source for a Chinese supplier, and use your company name to raise Form M from your bank.
I had some sales proposals of the machine two years ago, but can't lay my hands on them at the moment.

Get the Technical Specifications of the machine you want to buy very clear. Consideration should be for the power to run the machine. For a 60kg/ hr extruder, main power is 11kw, runs on 3-phase. You'll need a diesel generator of at least 30 Kva, taking into consideration the starting current.

You also need pulverized / hammer mill, mixer and dryer, to support the extruder.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mfm04622: 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
Rik500k:
are you saying Nigerian power supply can contain the engine ?

No matter the capacity of your machine, as long as there is power, our power supply will take care of the machine! You are really underrating this country! What machines are you talking about when we have steel rolling companies. Are manufacturing companies complaining about the quality of power supply? What they complain about is quantity, not quality

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 2:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
bilag17:

Source for a Chinese supplier, and use your company name to raise Form M from your bank.
I had some sales proposals of the machine two years ago, but can't lay my hands on them at the moment.

Get the Technical Specifications of the machine you want to buy very clear. Consideration should be for the power to run the machine. For a 60kg/ hr extruder, main power is 11kw, runs on 3-phase. You'll need a diesel generator of at least 30 Kva, taking into consideration the starting current.

You also need pulverized / hammer mill, mixer and dryer, to support the extruder.
how do I source for this Chinese supplier? Given I saw the post on Aliexpress, how do I implore the services of an agent since it’s a e-commerce platform, I don’t really plan on making use of diesel, I plan on getting On getting the one that’s electrically powered, is there any disadvantage with this ?
The hammer mill, mixer and dryer I can source for them locally ? From what I saw in a mini video, the machine makes the feed dried already, little sunshine exposure will do the rest drying, I may not need the dryer. What’s the hammer mill used for? Can I mix manually in place of the mixer, I’m not marking the feeds for sale it’s just for my farm

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
mfm04622:

No matter the capacity of your machine, as long as there is power, our power supply will take care of the machine! You are really underrating this country! What machines are you talking about when we have steel rolling companies. Are manufacturing companies complaining about the quality of power supply? What they complain about is quantity, not quality
No I don’t doubt the capacity of our great nation, just trying to be careful so I won’t lose the little I have. How do I get that machine down to Nigeria, this is my first time importing such machinery, the locally fabricated ones are not to be trusted
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mfm04622: 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2020
Rik500k:
No I don’t doubt the capacity of our great nation, just trying to be careful so I won’t lose the little I have. How do I get that machine down to Nigeria, this is my first time importing such machinery, the locally fabricated ones are not to be trusted

I have no experience with importation. Someone said the machine need 11 KVA. That mean you should be thinking of installing an 11 KVA transformer for the factory! In fact, at that level, you need an electrical engineer to design the power aspect of your factory. No be small thing you want start so, so your plans have to be top notch.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mfm04622: 5:40pm On Dec 08, 2020
Rik500k:
how do I source for this Chinese supplier? Given I saw the post on Aliexpress, how do I implore the services of an agent since it’s a e-commerce platform, I don’t really plan on making use of diesel, I plan on getting On getting the one that’s electrically powered, is there any disadvantage with this ?
The hammer mill, mixer and dryer I can source for them locally ? From what I saw in a mini video, the machine makes the feed dried already, little sunshine exposure will do the rest drying, I may not need the dryer. What’s the hammer mill used for? Can I mix manually in place of the mixer, I’m not marking the feeds for sale it’s just for my farm

If you don't have a dryer, what will happen during rainy season? If you are not using a mixer, how do you ensure the micronutrients are throughly mixed? The hammer mill is used to mill, that is grind the ingredients
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 11:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
Rik500k:

Initially, I thought a single phase extruder should run easily on the country's national grid. I didn't factor fluctuations, and voltage below the required 220 volts. In reality, couldn't run the machine until I got a diesel generator, after wasting money on a petrol generator of 10 kva, which couldn't drive the machine without load.

If you want the extruder, decide on the Technical Specifications, taking into consideration, the main power, production capacity. Minimum main power for single phase being 5.5kw , for a 30/40kg / hr machine .
Next is 11kw, 3 phase, for 60kg/hr , and so on.
Check the supply voltage in your farm location to know if you can run the machine on national grid, otherwise it will be frustrating, having the machine on the ground, and not being able to run it.

Check Alibaba, contact the suppliers , request for machine technical specifications and price, including freight to Nigeria. If you're satisfied with the Technical Specifications, request for a pro forma Invoice, which you'll take to your bank to raise a Form M .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 11:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
Rik500k:

The entire process is cumbersome without the required ancillary machinery. You can always find a way about it, and move on.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 5:26am On Dec 12, 2020
mfm04622:

If you don't have a dryer, what will happen during rainy season? If you are not using a mixer, how do you ensure the micronutrients are throughly mixed? The hammer mill is used to mill, that is grind the ingredients
i have a diesel powered grinder that was locally fabricated. The extruder makes the feed dry already like once the pellets are produced they can float asap. The mixer is just the little problem cos cash is not really at hand I might opt for manual mixing then I think the extruder setup comes with a mixer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 5:28am On Dec 12, 2020
mfm04622:

I have no experience with importation. Someone said the machine need 11 KVA. That mean you should be thinking of installing an 11 KVA transformer for the factory! In fact, at that level, you need an electrical engineer to design the power aspect of your factory. No be small thing you want start so, so your plans have to be top notch.
transformer ? For real ? Ha it hasn’t gotten to that point, it’s going to be hectic if it comes to that, I’ll try and get the specifications in the morning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 5:33am On Dec 12, 2020
bilag17:

Initially, I thought a single phase extruder should run easily on the country's national grid. I didn't factor fluctuations, and voltage below the required 220 volts. In reality, couldn't run the machine until I got a diesel generator, after wasting money on a petrol generator of 10 kva, which couldn't drive the machine without load.

If you want the extruder, decide on the Technical Specifications, taking into consideration, the main power, production capacity. Minimum main power for single phase being 5.5kw , for a 30/40kg / hr machine .
Next is 11kw, 3 phase, for 60kg/hr , and so on.
Check the supply voltage in your farm location to know if you can run the machine on national grid, otherwise it will be frustrating, having the machine on the ground, and not being able to run it.

Check Alibaba, contact the suppliers , request for machine technical specifications and price, including freight to Nigeria. If you're satisfied with the Technical Specifications, request for a pro forma Invoice, which you'll take to your bank to raise a Form M .

very Insightful and carefully explained, j wouldn’t have even considered power consumption, wow would have jumped in just like that, actually I wanted to go for the 60-80kg per hr, so our national grid can’t handle the power consumption of 11kw. I understand there are diesel powered ones, do you think they should be better when you think of power consumption
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 6:46am On Dec 12, 2020
Rik500k:
The machine is powered with 3 phase electric motor, if your house/farm is single phase then it will not work except you buy 3 Generator
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mfm04622: 9:26am On Dec 12, 2020
Rik500k:
transformer ? For real ? Ha it hasn’t gotten to that point, it’s going to be hectic if it comes to that, I’ll try and get the specifications in the morning

If your equipment need 11KV power supply, that is high voltage. E don pass the level of calling electrician to connect things for you ooo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rik500k(m): 11:19am On Dec 12, 2020
mfm04622:

If your equipment need 11KV power supply, that is high voltage. E don pass the level of calling electrician to connect things for you ooo
hold on I think it is 5.5kw, for the 30-40kg and 11kw for the 60-80kg. I guess 11kw and 11kv aren’t the same right. 11kw can be contained with our national grid right
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yahmaid04(m): 9:08pm On Dec 12, 2020
When I opened the thread, I thought this was a physics class thread

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mfm04622: 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2020
Rik500k:
hold on I think it is 5.5kw, for the 30-40kg and 11kw for the 60-80kg. I guess 11kw and 11kv aren’t the same right. 11kw can be contained with our national grid right

You are right. 11 Kv is different from 11Kw.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 10:40am On Dec 13, 2020
bro you really need a total breakdown of everything before thinking about smoking fishes yourself..... fish feed alone might gulps millions depending on how you stock.... find a consultant first.... and it doest make sense if you have 1million and you want to dig ponds from the 1 million
AptSpeaker:
Good morning Great Farmers and Nairalanders. I'm a fresh graduate looking to start life with a business in catfish. I've got a budget of 1.5million naira and I need your advise on how to go about it.
Please could well meaning farmers be kind to give me a break down of the costs for rearing fishes for four months until smoking size.

I'd like to add that I've budget five hundred thousand naira for the smoking machine and as such I'd be left with 1million for the pond, well, fishes, feed and miscellaneous.

Please, how much can 1 million naira do for me after factoring in the aforementioned cost? In essence, how many fishes can I stock after deducting the costs of constructing a pond? Please which is cheaper or more effecient? A earthen pond or a concrete pond? Thanks as you respond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by waleyp(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2020
like how many? and are you in ibadan?
joeking2222:
Please house, i need hetero and pure clarias BROODSTOCK at large quantity. Where can i get dem in LARGE QUANTITY in Oyo or Ogun state?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Jovar(m): 9:48pm On Dec 13, 2020
Bell Apple Seedling available

Other dwarf hybrid seedlings available:
Ugu seedlings
Teak seedlings
Cashew seedlings
Pineapple Suckers
Bell apple seedling
Sugar apple seedling
Strawberry seedlings
Noni plant seedlings
Pomegranate seedlings
Xylopia (eeru) seedling
African walnut seedling
Grafted mango seedlings
Alfalfa seeds and seedlings
Soursop Seeds and Seedlings
Passion fruit seed and seedling
Dwarf Hybrid Coconut Seedlings
Jumbo guava seeds and seedlings
Dwarf pawpaw seeds and seedlings
Jackfruit / Breadfruit (Nut / Yam type)
Cocoa seedlings, pods & dried raw seeds
Dwarf Semi Arid/ Wambugu apple seedling
Dwarf Oilpalm seedlings(Tenera & Super Gene)
Avocado seedling
Local Pear (Ube) seedling
Hass Avocado(Pear) seedlings
Irvingia gabonensis(oro) seedling
Irvingia wombulu(ogbono) seedling
Cameroon plantain suckers and plantlet
Giant cavendish banana suckers and plantlet
Sweet orange, Grape vine , Lisbon and Indian Lemon, Tangerlo, and double budded seedling of all citrus species
and many other seedlings...

We're behind the Glo office in Challenge, Ibadan, Oyo State, you can visit for self pickup, or we help send to anywhere through transport easily.

Jovar Resources™ (RC 2875407)
Call or Whatsapp 08036399734
Call to buy now to enjoy discount.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Latidoh1: 9:39am On Dec 15, 2020
Rik500k:
i have a diesel powered grinder that was locally fabricated. The extruder makes the feed dry already like once the pellets are produced they can float asap. The mixer is just the little problem cos cash is not really at hand I might opt for manual mixing then I think the extruder setup comes with a mixer
Can I be supplying you diesel?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Peezzy(f): 9:21am On Dec 17, 2020
Smoked catfish available for sale in large quantity.

0.5kg per pack.

Over 150 packs.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:22pm On Dec 25, 2020
Merry Christmas to you All. Do have a bless New year in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by eedie: 4:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
Catfish available for sale in Rumukurushi, port harcourt. 0.5kg - 1.5kg . Call 09059348182 we have upto 200 pieces still remaining

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by opendo21(m): 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2020
opendo21:
I have over 70,000 ijebu (post-fry) for sale... all clarias... Anyone interested should call me on 08139650611.

Thanks
Still available...melange is also available..up to 3 Tonnes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnanderson98: 9:28pm On Dec 28, 2020
Please my catfish is no longer eating, what should i do?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pascal558(m): 11:04pm On Dec 28, 2020
Johnnanderson98:
Please my catfish is no longer eating, what should i do?
Work on your water temperature.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:30pm On Jan 01, 2021
Happy New year to you all. The Lord will make it wonderful for us all in Jesus Name, Amen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.