Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,490 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (509) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491206 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 29, 2021
I first found this thread before I started my fish farm and it was rich with information and with very helpful individuals. Now it's full of adverts and beer parlor fights.
To the reason why I'm making this comment....
This is my first rodeo in the fish farming business. I got 500(520) fishes at the start of January, I sorted these fishes yesterday and I only counted 475. That's 45 missing, although I didn't count them from the farm I got them, but I called the farm and he said that the missing ones have been eaten(really ). So those who are experienced, is there a way one can tell when fishes get eaten? Or is there always no traces?

After sorting, about 150 of these catfish have grown to an impressive size(who knows if they are actually impressive since this is my first time), then the large bulk of them seem moderate. But there's a fraction that I separated from the two ponds that seem to haven't changed in size since the first day I got them. They are about 50. I place them in a baf now and since yesterday, they haven't eaten their feed. What should I do please?

Other problems I seem to face is, their water stinks frequently. Especially the ones with the bigger fishes. I change the water in the evening and the next morning, it stinks badly. Is it supposed to be this way? Especially for their age?

Thank you as you reply.

Robonski15
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by smithclito: 8:42am On Jan 30, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
I first found this thread before I started my fish farm and it was rich with information and with very helpful individuals. Now it's full of adverts and beer parlor fights.
To the reason why I'm making this comment....
This is my first rodeo in the fish farming business. I got 500(520) fishes at the start of January, I sorted these fishes yesterday and I only counted 475. That's 45 missing, although I didn't count them from the farm I got them, but I called the farm and he said that the missing ones have been eaten(really ). So those who are experienced, is there a way one can tell when fishes get eaten? Or is there always no traces?

After sorting, about 150 of these catfish have grown to an impressive size(who knows if they are actually impressive since this is my first time), then the large bulk of them seem moderate. But there's a fraction that I separated from the two ponds that seem to haven't changed in size since the first day I got them. They are about 50. I place them in a baf now and since yesterday, they haven't eaten their feed. What should I do please?

Other problems I seem to face is, their water stinks frequently. Especially the ones with the bigger fishes. I change the water in the evening and the next morning, it stinks badly. Is it supposed to be this way? Especially for their age?

Thank you as you reply.

Robonski15

Good morning to u.
First, from d beginning of January till now is enough time for such number of fish to have been eaten by other ( the reason y u see some are very big) . The fish u bought are not very good set, that's the reason u saw those small ones that did not grow well and they have not been feeding well.
third, the reason why the water is stinking is because of r water management practice, u overfeed the fishes thereby leaving a lot of feed in the water which end up polluting the water.
fourth, the small fish that are not eaten place them in a comfortably place, u can give vital to boost their appetite or any other appetizer but don't overfeed them.
hope I clear the air for.u
Pls stop changing their water too frequently, the stress is extremely too frequently and much such as sudden change in water composition,water temperature ,Ph and so on, it will surely afect their body activities including growth, feeding and any other thing u can think of just work on r water management practices.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 30, 2021
smithclito:

Good morning to u.
First, from d beginning of January till now is enough time for such number of fish to have been eaten by other ( the reason y u see some are very big) . The fish u bought are not very good set, that's the reason u saw those small ones that did not grow well and they have not been feeding well.
third, the reason why the water is stinking is because of r water management practice, u overfeed the fishes thereby leaving a lot of feed in the water which end up polluting the water.
fourth, the small fish that are not eaten place them in a comfortably place, u can give vital to boost their appetite or any other appetizer but don't overfeed them.
hope I clear the air for.u
Pls stop changing their water too frequently, the stress is extremely too frequently and much such as sudden change in water composition,water temperature ,Ph and so on, it will surely afect their body activities including growth, feeding and any other thing u can think of just work on r water management practices.
Ok. Thank you very much.
Please what do you mean by vital? Is it the feed?
Cause that's what I feed them actually.

Please, the ones I separated are still not eating, and I noticed their whiskers are gone. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. One died yesterday from that set and another today.

I feel some of the facts I stated are not clear, so I will state them again. Two days ago was the second time I sorted them. When I received them on January 9, i sorted them almost a week later. But if you say about 50 is enough to be eaten, then who am I to argue. It's a learning process for me. I'm just really surprised at the number since I still have about 3 months extra to rear them, if that number keeps getting missing monthly, it seems unfavorable to me.

I change the water every 3 days. I don't know if that is too frequent. It seems so too for me especially for their age. But what I'm saying about the stench is that, especially from the bigger ones, just a day after changing, it starts stinking, even when the water might still look clean. I was wondering if it's a sign of something else.

Thank you for your time sir. I really appreciate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by SODmosthigh: 2:29pm On Jan 31, 2021
I have been following this forum. Great insight. Kudos to all contributors.

Please I want to start catfish farm. Where can I get quality post fingerlings or Juvenile yo buy in Port Harcourt?. I need 1000 for pilot phase.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dennisworld1(m): 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2021
Pls whats the best scale to use in selling fish per kg. Need a recommendation of 100kg and price
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by joeybillz(m): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Ok. Thank you very much.
Please what do you mean by vital? Is it the feed?
Cause that's what I feed them actually.

Please, the ones I separated are still not eating, and I noticed their whiskers are gone. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. One died yesterday from that set and another today.

I feel some of the facts I stated are not clear, so I will state them again. Two days ago was the second time I sorted them. When I received them on January 9, i sorted them almost a week later. But if you say about 50 is enough to be eaten, then who am I to argue. It's a learning process for me. I'm just really surprised at the number since I still have about 3 months extra to rear them, if that number keeps getting missing monthly, it seems unfavorable to me.

I change the water every 3 days. I don't know if that is too frequent. It seems so too for me especially for their age. But what I'm saying about the stench is that, especially from the bigger ones, just a day after changing, it starts stinking, even when the water might still look clean. I was wondering if it's a sign of something else.

Thank you for your time sir. I really appreciate.
My honest take on this is ;
1.did you notice any fish skull at the pond bottom when changing water? If yeah hw many? Because even if fish shd feed on other fish the skulls are usually left behind.
2. There could be miscounting also from where you bought the fingerlings(under counting).
3. Also dont rule out the possibilities of poachers (theives)
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2021
joeybillz:
My honest take on this is ;
1.did you notice any fish skull at the pond bottom when changing water? If yeah hw many? Because even if fish shd feed on other fish the skulls are usually left behind.
2. There could be miscounting also from where you bought the fingerlings(under counting).
3. Also dont rule out the possibilities of poachers (theives)
Thanks
1. No. Not one single trace.
2. That's what j think too
3. It's in my compound. The place with a barbed wire fence and behind the fence is a thick bush
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by joeybillz(m): 4:16pm On Feb 02, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

1. No. Not one single trace.
2. That's what j think too
3. It's in my compound. The place with a barbed wire fence and behind the fence is a thick bush
well since there are no visible fish skulls in the pond bottom,then probably the counting wasn't correct

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 02, 2021
joeybillz:
well since there are no visible fish skulls in the pond bottom,then probably the counting wasn't correct
Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by SODmosthigh: 3:09pm On Feb 03, 2021
Pls can someone educate me.... Is direct sunlight on fingerlings and juvenile catfish bad??. I am using a plastic white container (don't know if the container is also causing them to be whitish.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by holluville: 10:16pm On Feb 03, 2021
Good Evening everyone
I am looking for a fish pond to rent in Lagos preferably with an existing farmer(s) who also run their businesses there. i'll appreciate responses . Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by joeybillz(m): 4:45pm On Feb 04, 2021
SODmosthigh:
Pls can someone educate me.... Is direct sunlight on fingerlings and juvenile catfish bad??. I am using a plastic white container (don't know if the container is also causing them to be whitish.
would advice you get the tanks or containers covered because constant direct sunlight would produce algae in ur water and when these algae becomes too much it results in algae boom which definitely would have an effect on ur fish(algae is made up of zooplankton(microscopic animals), phytoplankton (microscopic plants).. although fish feeds on algae but when these algaes becomes too much competition for dissolved oxygen nd other micro nutrients arises.
But constant water change can help in controlling these algaes.
The colour of the fish habitat influences the fish colour,there is actually nothing to worry about that.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by joeybillz(m): 4:47pm On Feb 04, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Thank you
you welcome
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Christhope: 6:48pm On Feb 04, 2021
I really appreciate you, I enjoy this lecture pls if u have any documentation for fish farm to aid my farm I will appreciate it. Thanks adeyemotaiwoolusegun@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drexx(m): 12:02pm On Feb 06, 2021
Pls fellow farmers, I want to know how long it would take to get a weight of 500grams with proper feeding and management
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Russo35(m): 12:27pm On Feb 06, 2021
Buyers needed for both smoking size and table size catfish

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:48am On Feb 07, 2021
Christhope:
I really appreciate you, I enjoy this lecture pls if u have any documentation for fish farm to aid my farm I will appreciate it. Thanks adeyemotaiwoolusegun@gmail.com

Reach me @ newrevolutionglobal@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:50am On Feb 07, 2021
drexx:
Pls fellow farmers, I want to know how long it would take to get a weight of 500grams with proper feeding and management

U didnt indicate the stage u started rearing your fish from fingerlings, post -fingerlings or juveniles?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:53am On Feb 07, 2021
holluville:

Good Evening everyone
I am looking for a fish pond to rent in Lagos preferably with an existing farmer(s) who also run their businesses there. i'll appreciate responses . Thanks

There is a farm for rent around badagry axis. Reach the owner directly @ 08067899850......
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:54am On Feb 07, 2021
dennisworld1:
Pls whats the best scale to use in selling fish per kg. Need a recommendation of 100kg and price

Go for 100kg Camry scale or digital scale if possible
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:55am On Feb 07, 2021
SODmosthigh:
I have been following this forum. Great insight. Kudos to all contributors.

Please I want to start catfish farm. Where can I get quality post fingerlings or Juvenile yo buy in Port Harcourt?. I need 1000 for pilot phase.

I have post-fingerlings in phc
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Wehro: 5:15am On Feb 07, 2021
Hello gurus and everyone in the house, I've a problem is my farm. Whenever I hatch the frys are OK for about 10days then after they start to die in massive numbers and I can only survive about 5% to 7%.

My water pH is 7, I siphon every morning change their water every morning, I do flow through and change/wash their vat every 4 days.

Before they start to die their colour will change from black and they look like fish that has no blood or strength.

Pls help it urgent.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by smartoskie(m): 12:42pm On Feb 07, 2021
Please any Idea on the current selling price of melange in your area.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drexx(m): 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2021
oscarvicto:

U didnt indicate the stage u started rearing your fish from fingerlings, post -fingerlings or juveniles?
From juveniles sir, how long would it take to hit 500grams
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by holluville: 5:47am On Feb 09, 2021
oscarvicto:

There is a farm for rent around badagry axis. Reach the owner directly @ 08067899850......

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Kneyo(m): 4:34am On Feb 10, 2021
Wehro:
Hello gurus and everyone in the house, I've a problem is my farm. Whenever I hatch the frys are OK for about 10days then after they start to die in massive numbers and I can only survive about 5% to 7%.

My water pH is 7, I siphon every morning change their water every morning, I do flow through and change/wash their vat every 4 days.

Before they start to die their colour will change from black and they look like fish that has no blood or strength.
Pls help it urgent.

The pH of your water is 7 doesn't mean your water is alright.
I'll advise the following:
1. Try to do a full analysis of your water.
2. Also test the water for bacteria (especially coliform bacteria).
3. Make sure you get good broodstocks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Oluwapresley(m): 11:56am On Feb 10, 2021
Hello House,

Just stumbled on this thread and it has been an awesome read so far.

Please, I will like to find out the current price for melange sized catfish in Lagos given the recent surge in the price of fish feed. - I don't know if I got the spelling right malange but it's usually pronounced as something like "milurge".

Many thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by SODmosthigh: 7:54pm On Feb 10, 2021
Please chat me up via WhatsApp. 08035412435

I have post-fingerlings in phc [/quote]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:30am On Feb 11, 2021
If you are interested in broodstocks, someone have 40 of such at size of between 3-4 kilogram each. Breed is clarias. Location is at ibadan

2000 per kilogram
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Wehro: 1:43pm On Feb 11, 2021
Kneyo:

The pH of your water is 7 doesn't mean your water is alright.
I'll advise the following:
1. Try to do a full analysis of your water.
2. Also test the water for bacteria (especially coliform bacteria).
3. Make sure you get good broodstocks.

Thanks so much, I'll do that.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by smithclito: 1:13pm On Feb 12, 2021
excelsiorfarm:
If you are interested in broodstocks, someone have 40 of such at size of between 3-4 kilogram each. Breed is clarias. Location is at ibadan

putting the price will also help the market

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:16pm On Feb 12, 2021
smithclito:

putting the price will also help the market

Thanks, 2000 naira per kilogram

(1) (2) (3) ... (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.