Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

Top Quotes From Novels You've Read - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top Quotes From Novels You've Read (16835 Views)

Best Books You've Read This Year? / Books By Chinua Achebe That You've Read? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by SIRcumalot: 8:59am On Jun 23, 2013
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by SIRcumalot: 9:04am On Jun 23, 2013
I finished about a week ago the final two books lowered the bar for me though a few unresolved plot lines
Too many lovely characters but my Favorite character though karsa orlong this guy is the definition of badassery!!!
Kruppe is cool though I like iskaral pust and tehol better.

1 Like

Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:04pm On Nov 11, 2013
Resurrecting this thread. It can't die now....not when I still have some great and funny quotes from my collections.... make Una no vex O
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
coming next..... quotes from the black company
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
I finished about a week ago the final two books lowered the bar for me though a few unresolved plot lines
Too many lovely characters but my Favorite character though karsa orlong this guy is the definition of badassery!!!
Kruppe is cool though I like iskaral pust and tehol better.
Tehol and his servant elder god are definitely the number one in that category. I mentioned kruppe because I was still reading the part five then. Don't like Pust much and prefer Trull Seanger and Anomandaris To Karsa Orlong, the guy is too .... badass for my liking
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
Morning is wonderful. Its only drawback is that it comes at such an inconvenient time of day.

Every ounce of my cynicism is supported by historical precedent.

More evil gets done in the name of righteousness than any other way.

There were dreams once upon a time, dreams now all but forgotten. On sad days I dust them off and handle them nostalgically, with a patronizing wonder at the naivete of the youth who dreamed them.

Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 2:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
Valon4ego: Tehol and his servant elder god are definitely the number one in that category. I mentioned kruppe because I was still reading the part five then. Don't like Pust much and prefer Trull Seanger and Anomandaris To Karsa Orlong, the guy is too .... badass for my liking
as for the unresolved plots and loose ends,check out the books on malazan empire written by the co-author ;I.A Esslemont
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by SIRcumalot: 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Lord Rake is just too powerful,though am a big fan I'll stick with karsa and his genocide plan .Their is this site that make character from various fantasy world fight each other. Rake is the undisputed champion their, the only character with a fighting chance I think is Rand al Thor.

I doubt if I would be reading any other book from the Malazan world aside from the new trilogy centered around Draconus, Mother Dark and the Tiste andii

Is the black company any good I heard it is similar to Malazan ?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
yep,the black company is quite similar to the malazan books (though very far from it in terms of the number of characters, gods,culture, civilizations,etc). They make use of gray characters (unlike the wheel of time,where you are either good or bad). I don't like the way it ended though, with many of my favourite characters dying.

Talking about Anomandaris Rake, there are quite a few persons that can match him (at least without him veering into his draconean form) and they include ; seguleh the first, warlord Brood and Dassem Uttor (there was a scene in one of the books where he almost killed kallor but for the intervention of the cripple god),and maybe even Skinner (crimson guard). He'll probably have a hard time with Crow of the crimson guard too, when it comes down to magic
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 2:43am On Nov 13, 2013
^^^^^
why in the bloody name of a two legged cockroach,where you banned?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 8:03am On Nov 13, 2013
more quotes from the chronicles of the black company

“The man who counts on the aid of a god deserves the help he doesn't get.

“Consistency is the sign of a narrow mind.

“No religion I ever encountered made any sense. None are consistent. Most gods are megalomaniacs and paranoid psychotics by their worshippers' description. I don't see how they could survive their own insanity. But it's not impossible that human beings are incapable of interpreting a power so much greater than themselves. Maybe religions are twisted and perverted shadows of truth. Maybe there are forces which shape the world. I myself have never understood why, in a universe so vast, a god would care about something so trivial as worship or human destiny.

“I'm an incurable romantic. The essence of romance is an unshakable conviction that next time will be different.

“If one chooses sides on emotion then the rebel is the guy to go with. He is fighting for everything men claim to honour, freedom, independance, truth, the right.......all the subjective illusions. All the eternal trigger words. We are minions of the villan of the piece. We confess the illusion and deny the substance.

“I'm a bad man. I need to understand the past. It illuminates the present.

“My favorite sport is female and my favorite food is beer.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 8:07am On Nov 13, 2013
more from the black company

“I guess I suffer from an impoverishment of the sociopathic spirit necessary to go big time.

“I can laugh at peasants and townies chained all their lives to a tiny corner of the earth while I roam its face and see its wonders, but when I go down, there will be no child to carry my name, no family to mourn me save my comrades, no one to remember, no one to raise a marker over my cold bit of ground.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 8:12am On Nov 13, 2013
more quotes from the black company

There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.

“It is an age lurching along the lip of a dark precipice, peeking fearfully into chaos's empty eyes, enrapt, like a giddy rat trying to stare down a hungry cobra. The gods are restless, tossing and turning and wakening in snippets to conspire at mischief. Their bastard offspring, the hundred million spirits of rock and brook and tree, of place and time and emotion, find old constraints are rotting. The Postern of Fate stands ajar. The world faces an age of fear, of conflict, of grand sorcery, of great change, and of greater despair amongst mortal men. And the cliffs of ice creep forward.
Great kings walk the earth. They cannot help but collide. Great ideas sweep back and forth aross the face of a habitable world that is shrinking. Those cannot help but fire hatred and fear amongst adherents of dogmas and doctrines under increasing pressure.
As always, those who do the world's work most dearly pay the price of the world's pain.

“The people come from everywhere, from five hundred miles, to find their fortunes. By fortune is an ugly, two-faced goddess. When you have lived with her handiwork for half a generation, you hardly notice anymore. You forget that this is not the way life has to be. You cease to marvel at just how much evil man con conjure by existing.

“Fate is a fickle bitch who dotes on irony.” The Black Company pg 447
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 8:14am On Nov 13, 2013
I think that will be all from the black company, time to move on to the next one
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Brisingr(m): 10:41am On Nov 13, 2013
Balance has an eternal enemy and its name is ambition
Steelheart bk 1 brandon sanderson.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Brisingr(m): 10:43am On Nov 13, 2013
In a fight between rand al thor and Anomander rake who wins ?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 10:57am On Nov 13, 2013
Brisingr: In a fight between rand al thor and Anomander rake who wins ?
From your Monicker,you must be a fan of the eragon trillogy.

@your question, when it comes down to sword fight, Rake with his dragonipaur and Rand al'thor with power blades or any other blade (apart from callador), Anomandaris would beat him senseless, when it comes to magic, it becomes a little bit tricky,but I think the favourite son of darkness will still win
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Brisingr(m): 12:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
I think so too though I fear whichever universe the fight will occur won't survive.

You are right about that eragon part though I don't like the series all that much.

Have u read the first law trilogy or the demon cycle ?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Brisingr: I think so too though I fear whichever universe the fight will occur won't survive.

You are right about that eragon part though I don't like the series all that much.

Have u read the first law trilogy or the demon cycle ?
I have the books, but yet to read it. So many books to read
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Brisingr(m): 2:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
Valon4ego: I have the books, but yet to read it. So many books to read
I doubt if one can read them all u should check them both out though
Which other author do you like ?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Brisingr:
I doubt if one can read them all u should check them both out though
Which other author do you like ?
who wrote the demon cycle?

as for my favourite authors, they are the ones whose quotes can be found on this thread
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Brisingr(m): 6:14pm On Nov 13, 2013
Peter V brett is the name of the author
Their are some current happening in to days world mainly religion that is well represented in the book great read.
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Valon4ego(m): 9:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
Up next are two very funny letters. The first one will be from Matrim Cauthon,addressed to queen Elyne of Andor (wheel of time)
while the second will be from king Tehol the only of Letheras , addressed to his brother, Brys Beddict (malazan book of the fallen)

....loading......
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Alexbrain(m): 6:57am On Jun 07, 2016
And the wise men came from the East(Biafra) - The Bible.

The two most important days of a man's life is the day he is born and the day he knows why. - Roots
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by elfico(m): 6:59am On Jun 07, 2016
Never kill a man who says nothing, -Things Fall Apart
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by omolola15(m): 7:04am On Jun 07, 2016
Since 2013. Na now these mods come get time for this thread. Na wah ooooo
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Nobody: 7:06am On Jun 07, 2016
If I ever turn out to be the hero of my life, it is not for me to judge. DAVID COPERFIELD
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 07, 2016
Valon4ego:

“Wrong doing must be
punished. If not, it will
proliferate until
anarchy wears the
robes of tolerance and
understanding.” ― Terry Goodkind, Blood of the Fold

“When the whole
world is crazy, it
doesn't pay to be
sane.”
― Terry Goodkind, The Pillars of Creation

“History is rarely made
by reasonable men.”
― Terry Goodkind

“Right and wrong are
not the product of
census.”
― Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

“Wizard's Fourth Rule
There is magic in
sincere forgiveness; in
the forgiveness you
give, but more so in
the forgiveness you receive.”
― Terry Goodkind, Temple of the Winds

“We reap a reward
merely in the act of
helping others. We
never know how, or if,
that reward will come
back to us. Helping is the reward; none
other is needed nor
better.”
― Terry Goodkind

“Reality is irrelevant;
Perception is
everything.”
― Terry Goodkind

“Wizard's Tenth Rule
Willfully turning aside
from the truth is
treason to one's self.”
― Terry Goodkind, Phantom

“many people must be
ruled to thrive. In their
selfishness and greed,
they see free people as
their oppressors. They
wish to have a leader who will cut the taller
plants so the sun will
reach them. They
think no plant should
be allowed to grow
taller than the shortest, and in that
way give light to all.
They would rather be
provided a guiding
light, regardless of the
fuel, than light a candle themselves.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule
Nice one bro. But where do you get these classics?
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 07, 2016
Valon4ego:
these classic quotes are from the novel warbreaker, and mainly from lightsong, my favourite god in the book.

When is the third book coming out?? Walahi, the thing don tire me
Re: Top Quotes From Novels You've Read by Samuelking2: 7:21am On Jun 07, 2016
'' In a moment this moment will b but a memory we can't change it but all we have do is to fix our eyes on tomorrow''

EYES ON TOMORROW by Oscar Schigall

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Day I Died : April 14 / A Spark(getting Me Back) / 21 Horrifying Short Stories To Scare The Hell Out of You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.