Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,445 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) - TV/Movies (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) (1092071 Views)

[SPOILERS ALERT] MARVELS Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D - Fan Thread / Game Of Thrones : Red Wedding Scene / Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (859) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 10:36pm On May 12, 2015
By the way Gbola5, that long epistle you wrote up there na beautiful sermon on the mount, abeg. Rules ko, regulations ni.

The real reason Ned did what he did - play his hand too early and spill the secrets he knew to his own worst enemy - the real reason he did it was to protect the children. Our honorable Hand couldn't bear to have the blood of the incest-born Jeoffrey, Mycerlla and Tommen on his hands. And so he spilled his best cards in the Game of Thrones to their mother, his own worst enemy, Cercei.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 10:37pm On May 12, 2015
kay9:

Nope. Me and a bunch of other guys trashed out the "Was Ned Stark A Fool?" conundrum years ago... But it certainly didn't take us this many words.

If you must know though, Ned Stark was indeed a fool - a brave, strong, honest, and honorable fool. See, I'm a practical man and I'll give you a practical example. Imagine you happen to capture Shekau of Boko Haram but he suddenly escapes... You have a gun in your hands as you watch him get away, but you don't pump him full of bullets because it is actually against the law to shoot an unarmed man. And so you let Shekau the leader of Boko Haram to escape. Please tell me, are you a fool or not?

You dont use modern times to judge medieval times. You recapture him. He's more valuable alive than dead. Then there where things like guest right, and the rights of prisoners of war and, right to obey your king, keep your oathetc, times changed, now you can kill a guest in your own house cant you. Then they needed these social contracts that people agree on, it brings this togetherness, and once unchecked, it leads to chaos. But these things dont exist no more.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2015
Gbola5:

You dont use modern times to judge medieval times. [b]You recapture him. [/b]He's more valuable alive than dead. Then there where things like guest right, and the rights of prisoners of war and, right to obey your king, keep your oathetc, times changed, now you can kill a guest in your own house cant you. Then they needed these social contracts that people agree on, it brings this togetherness, and once unchecked, it leads to chaos. But these things dont exist no more.

You recapture him?? You watch him escape first,then recapture him later?? cheesy grin Guy, please don't take this the wrong way, but you're probably more foolish than Ned Stark o.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 10:42pm On May 12, 2015
Aye, whatever, call him a fool, judge him unfairly, but dont say because he didnt support Renly or Joffrey.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 10:45pm On May 12, 2015
kay9:

You recapture him?? You watch him escape first,then recapture him later?? cheesy grin Guy, please don't take this the wrong way, but you're probably more foolish than Ned Stark o.

You still are comparing now to then. Regardless you recapture him.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 10:51pm On May 12, 2015
Question, question. If you were a peasant would you rather live under Ned, Tywin, Walder Frey, Hoster Tully, etc.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 10:54pm On May 12, 2015
If you were Robb, would you rather break your oath and dishonor yourself or stay true to your oath.

If you were Jon, would you have left Ygritte, or would you have stayed with her.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 10:59pm On May 12, 2015
Gbola5:

You still are comparing now to then. Regardless you recapture him.
Gbola5:
Aye, whatever, call him a fool, judge him unfairly, but dont say because he didnt support Renly or Joffrey.

Mmm, well your opinions are yours to have.

Support Renly? Ned wasn't even in support of Stannis.

My view is that Ned Stark midjudged how dangerous and high risk the game he was playing was. You cannot afford to let your emotions interfere with your decisions in such a serious position - and that was what Ned did. Starks don't do that - they did not become the most feared Lords in the North by doing that. I think it was a momentary lapse in judgement by Ned; he had shown many times before that he was not afraid of making harsh decisions when it was needed. Sadly it was the mistake that would cost him his life.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by sage1000: 11:00pm On May 12, 2015
If I were Robb I'd have stayed true to my oath by not marrying a girl after I've been promised to another or better yet not sleeping with said girl. That said if I despise Ned, I absolutely hate Robb and Catelyn.

As a peasant, best to live under tywin. The west is rich and ripe with opportunities to rise.

Jon unfortunately did the right thing
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 11:02pm On May 12, 2015
He expected more from the world and its people than southerners did. then, when he "failed" to adapt to the moral abyss he found at KL, that wasn't stupidity, that was him trying to lead them out of the darkness by example. He ran out of steam is all. The court of KL were all degenerates who'd grown eyes on the back of their heads to watch out for each other because they were all backstabbers. Ned hadn't yet degenerated like that, so he was more highly evolved than their lower form of life, but they were more specialized to succeed in their chosen environment. Not stupidity. A victim of bad circumstances. Yeah. blame the victim, have tea with LF.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 11:04pm On May 12, 2015
kay9:

Mmm, well your opinions are yours to have.

Support Renly? Ned wasn't even in support of Stannis.

My view is that Ned Stark midjudged how dangerous and high risk the game he was playing was. You cannot afford to let your emotions interfere with your decisions in such a serious position - and that was what Ned did. Starks don't do that - they did not become the most feared Lords in the North by doing that. I think it was a momentary lapse in judgement by Ned; he had shown many times before that he was not afraid of making harsh decisions when it was needed. Sadly it was the mistake that would cost him his life.

Oh but he did support Stannis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 11:05pm On May 12, 2015
Would you rather like him if he was more like Cersei ?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 11:06pm On May 12, 2015
I don't see the point in those questions...

How will my answers to them show that Ned did the sensible thing by spilling his beans to his own enemy?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 11:11pm On May 12, 2015
kay9:
I don't see the point in those questions...

How will my answers to them show that Ned did the sensible thing by spilling his beans to his own enemy?

The point is; the same voice that says honor got Ned killed is the same voice that says Robb shouldn't have broken his oath. That's the complexity of the series, its grey. And every decision you make has consequences. While most will try to take the decision with the best advantage to one's self(smart decision), Ned would rather take the right decision, regardless of the consequences.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 11:17pm On May 12, 2015
Gbola5:

The point is; the same voice that says honor got Ned killed is the same voice that says Robb shouldn't have broken his oath. That's the complexity of the series its grey.

I don't know how many different ways I can say this before you get it: Honor did not get Ned Stark killed; his lapse of judgement did. He made a decision based on emotion. He thought he was being merciful to Cercei's children. And it was a foolish decision.

Whew! If you still don't get it, I don't think there'll be any other way of explaining it.

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by themodernman: 1:04am On May 13, 2015
kay9:
By the way Gbola5, that long epistle you wrote up there na beautiful sermon on the mount, abeg. Rules ko, regulations ni.

The real reason Ned did what he did - play his hand too early and spill the secrets he knew to his own worst enemy - the real reason he did it was to protect the children. Our honorable Hand couldn't bear to have the blood of the incest-born Jeoffrey, Mycerlla and Tommen on his hands. And so he spilled his best cards in the Game of Thrones to their mother, his own worst enemy, Cercei.

Don't mind the guy...make hin dey support Ned dey go...even Robert called him a honorable foool when he angrily relinquished the position of the hand for refusing to kill Daenerys. He doesn't know that in the game of thrones, you either win or you die!. Gbola5 dem never do you strong tin for life na why you dey talk like ds..why do you think even mature people love ds movie? Its because its meant to teach us a lesson bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by themodernman: 1:12am On May 13, 2015
Gbola5:
He expected more
from the world and its people than
southerners did. then, when he
"failed" to adapt to the moral abyss
he found at KL, that wasn't
stupidity, that was him trying to
lead them out of the darkness by
example. He ran out of steam is all.
The court of KL were all
degenerates who'd grown eyes on
the back of their heads to watch out
for each other because they were
all backstabbers. Ned hadn't yet
degenerated like that, so he was
more highly evolved than their lower
form of life, but they were more
specialized to succeed in their
chosen environment.
Not stupidity. A victim of bad
circumstances. Yeah. blame the victim, have tea with LF.

Guy stop being naive...you're beginning to annoy me honestly. You know ds people are degenerates yet you played into their hands like a lamb...dats plain stupidity mehn! Even Jesus knew how to escape whenever they're about to mob him for saying some words d pharisees saw as blasphemies....until his time to die came...guy give yourself brain oh...taking drastic decisions doesn't tamper with your honour if that's what bothers you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by themodernman: 1:14am On May 13, 2015
kay9:

I don't know how many different ways I can say this before you get it: Honor did not get Ned Stark killed; his lapse of judgement did. He made a decision based on emotion. He thought he was being merciful to Cercei's children. And it was a foolish decision.

Whew! If you still don't get it, I don't think there'll be any other way of explaining it.

Please just free d guy, he doesn't know how to separate emotions from decisions & I hope it doesn't hurt him in real life. I've learnt a lot from this GOT about life...

As for me I'm ready to clear anyone wey come my way even if na new born baby...the world is too wicked to be a soft puppy...heart of man is desperately wicked.

Meanwhile my honor is still intact!!! Anybody fit run dem mouth...ko kan aiye mehn!
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 7:18am On May 13, 2015
themodernman:

Please just free d guy, he doesn't know how to separate emotions from decisions & I hope it doesn't hurt him in real life. I've learnt a lot from this GOT about life...

As for me I'm ready to clear anyone wey come my way even if na new born baby...the world is too wicked to be a soft puppy...heart of man is desperately wicked.

Meanwhile my honor is still intact!!! Anybody fit run dem mouth...ko kan aiye mehn!

You keep mentioning this game. You dont have to play the game to rule. The game is a farce. You still are jugding based on modern times.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 7:26am On May 13, 2015
Ned isnt even my favorite character. Are you saying he couldn't take drastic decisions ?
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by themodernman: 7:27am On May 13, 2015
Gbola5:

You keep mentioning this game. You dont have to play the game to rule. The game is a farce. You still are jugding based on modern times.

Goodluck bro.

2 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 8:56am On May 13, 2015
People are too quick to call Ned a fool because they see that GRRM is subverting the traditional honorable hero story. But the real significance of Ned's story that is echoed throughout the novels is that what works in one place doesn't work elsewhere. Don't pull that Northern shit in King's Landing, don't pull that silly shit up at the Wall, don't trust your bid for the kingship to a tactician, etc. People who fail are generally mismatched for their task more than they are straight up incompetent. If Eddard Stark was still up North the place would be in much better shape and it wasn't just because he was born a Stark or a great fighter, it was because he was smart about running the show up there.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by wesley80(m): 11:12am On May 13, 2015
Fool or no fool, dead or alive, Eddard Stark still remains the most honorable man in the Seven Kingdoms and in GOT, the mere mention of his name evokes deep respect among both friends and foes. If that's what it means to be a fool then I'd rather be one than a scheming surviving Lannister that so happens to be the most hated family in the whole of the Seven Kingdoms.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Akanniade(m): 12:11pm On May 13, 2015
Does Khaalesi still have any control over her dragons? One has gone rogue, two others are still tamed with chains. What happens when she needs to call them to war, if they dont listen to her any more? I think she needs the service of wargs or whatever the 'book crowd' calls them.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Gbola5(m): 12:27pm On May 13, 2015
Akanniade:
Does Khaalesi still have any control over her dragons? One has gone rogue, two others are still tamed with chains. What happens when she needs to call them to war, if they dont listen to her any more? I think she needs the service of wargs or whatever the 'book crowd' calls them.

She needs to embrace that she is the blood of the dragon. She needs to show she's a true Targaeryen. She needs to show them she can dominate them and not be in fear of them. Dont worry, wait till episode 9 i think something will happen.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Akanniade(m): 1:47pm On May 13, 2015
Gbola5:

She needs to embrace that she is the blood of the dragon. She needs to show she's a true Targaeryen. She needs to show them she can dominate them and not be in fear of them. Dont worry, wait till episode 9 i think something will happen.
I hope so. I hate to see those dragons having a mind of their own.
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by kay9(m): 3:00pm On May 13, 2015
Akanniade:

Very funny. grin

Ok, ask me nicely...
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by Akanniade(m): 4:12pm On May 13, 2015
kay9:

Very funny. grin
Ok, ask me nicely...
Pray tell, kind sire. grin
I know how impossible it is to translate a book to movie. I learnt bitterly with James Clavell's 'Shogun'. The mini-series was a dissapointment for me after the book. The moment I start GOT on Kindle, the series will be a waste of time. I prefer to enjoy the TV series first.

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by InesQor(m): 9:09am On May 14, 2015
My favorite characters, people I identify with all their actions and how they think:

Male character: Jon Snow
Female character: Arya Stark

cool
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by gj22(m): 9:12am On May 14, 2015
pabloaimar:
VALAMONGOULIS!!! I haven't watch the season 5 yet due to my busy schedule, I just want to know what happened to the remainder of Ned Stark's children, Stanis Baratheon, and please someone should tell that Cercei Lannister is dead.

Lol. It's VALAR MORGHULIS

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by InesQor(m): 9:25am On May 14, 2015
pabloaimar:
VALAMONGOULIS!!! I haven't watch the season 5 yet due to my busy schedule, I just want to know what happened to the remainder of Ned Stark's children, Stanis Baratheon, and please someone should tell that Cercei Lannister is dead.

Lmao na you wan kill Cersei?

Don't hold your breath. A good story must have a screening antagonist, and now that Tywin is no longer there, Cersei has to stay alive for that role. Buckle up! Lol
Re: Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) by gj22(m): 9:28am On May 14, 2015
Okay, this is one of the few things I agree with Gbola5 aka spoiler king (I didn't read all the waec comprehension sha, just enough to get his point).
cheesy

Ned stark was not a fool and you are an idiyot if you think so. He was an honourable man in midst of criminals when he went to kings landing. He knew everything he did was dangerous and would get him killed but he did it anyway because it was the right thing to do. At the end of the day, he abandoned his values and became like them and it cost him his head.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (859) (Reply)

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) / Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.