Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship (1557 Views)

The Bitter Truth For Guys Trying To Maintain Distant Relationships / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by mitchyy(f): 3:00pm On Apr 03, 2013
GISTville

They’re the ones you call crying after a breakup, and the ones you text fifty times a day.

They’re your right-hand women/men, your #1 fans and your lifesavers. Your life wouldn’t be the same without them, because they’re your BFFs.

Sometimes school or work can often leave you hundreds of miles, states and even sometimes oceans away from your best friends.
So what’s a girl/man to do when best friendships suddenly become long distance relationships?

Read on for some ways to maintain long distance friendships!

1. Never stop texting. Keep your old texting habits intact. I think you should still text them about the mundane crap in your life and theirs, just like you would when you lived in the same place. WhatsApp for free text messaging is a lifesaver! You can send messages, photos, voice notes and videos, all free and fast.

2. Visit them as much as possible. Dedicate most of your travel budgets to visiting each other. I suggest you always keep an eye out for the lowest fares.

3. Skype, duh. Skype video makes you feel much closer than regular phone calls. I recommend planning specific Skype dates, like seeing the same movie and getting on Skype to talk about it after, or cooking the same meal together and eating it at the same time. I love this idea, and its exciting.

4. Make a schedule. If there’s a huge time difference (like NYC to Nigeria), don’t hesitate to schedule weekend phone calls ahead of time.

5. Keep emails simple and frequent. A lot of people think keeping in touch means writing long emails back and forth all the time. My friends and I just constantly write shorter emails back and forth during the day, which makes us feel more a part of each other’s lives. I’ve had other long distance friendships fizzle because I always felt like I needed to write long, all-encompassing emails, and I never had time, so I’m definitely going to keep this in mind!

6. Get a blackberry and have your friend on your blackberry messenger. Its the easiest and fastest way to communicate with anyone no matter where they are in the world.

7. Offer your couch. Always let them know they’re welcome to stay at your place if they want to come visit. Some people feel weird about asking to stay over at their friend’s place. The truth is, if you both are really close, this shouldn’t pose a problem.

8. Remembering important stuffs like birthdays, anniversaries, engagements, family news.

9. Be honest. Try to let the other know what’s up if you’ll be out of touch for awhile. If you’re going through a rough patch and need to request some extra phone time, let them know that too. Just keep those lines of communication open as much as possible. It will make you feel closer and prevent any resentment from building.

10. Accept that change is inevitable. Don’t expect the friendship to be the same once you don’t live in the same place, but know that it will still be there. True that.!

Alright, GISTvillers, I would love to know about your long distance friendships! How do you keep the friendship fires burning? Have you ever had a friendship fizzle out because of distance? What would you do differently in the future to make it last?

Give me the scoop in the comments section: http://gistville.com/2013/03/gv-talk-10-ways-to-maintain-a-long-distance-friendship/

or feel free to email me at info@gistville.com
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by mitchyy(f): 3:56am On Apr 04, 2013
smiley
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by Isokoman1(m): 5:43am On Apr 04, 2013
Just make new friends and expand your network. Life is too short embarassed
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 04, 2013
I'm not reading all of this

Long Distance Friendships come with too many Obligations

Long as i am not obligated to do anything we can be cool.

Free Flowing Life.

I call when i call, I see you when i see you.

#NoObligations

Same Rules Apply to domestic friends.
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by Mynd44: 6:12am On Apr 04, 2013
^^
True
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by Samantha37(f): 6:47pm On Apr 04, 2013
Isoko man: Just make new friends and expand your network. Life is too short embarassed
Spoken like a true Isoko man cheesy
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
..its not advisable unless its an extraordinary situation for its emotionally and financially draining!
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by lafuria1(m): 10:52pm On Apr 04, 2013
not easy.
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by mitchyy(f): 7:13am On Apr 05, 2013
nayef: ..its not advisable unless its an extraordinary situation for its emotionally and financially draining!
Hey guys. Pls read the article from the top. Its referring to a situation where your best friend moves to a different state or country or somewhere far away from you. Will you throw that friend away and make new friends or maintain the friendship?
Isoko_Man got the drift.
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by DExplorer1: 8:21am On Apr 05, 2013
Keeping a distant friendship demands alot. No. 5 means constant communication and that's a major key.
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by mitchyy(f): 7:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
D-Explorer:
Keeping a distant friendship demands alot. No. 5 means constant communication and that's a major key.
True word!
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by jbrodaly(m): 7:15pm On Apr 05, 2013
D-Explorer:
The truth is that people are only after what they can get from others these days.People consider it difficult as soon as they feel there is nothing to gain from a friend anymore.Wait until the day you will need a friends favour-It won't be difficult even if he or she is living in Mars.
Re: 10 Ways To Maintain A Long Distance Friendship by mitchyy(f): 9:32pm On Apr 08, 2013
jbrodaly:
The truth is that people are only after what they can get from others these days.People consider it difficult as soon as they feel there is nothing to gain from a friend anymore.Wait until the day you will need a friends favour-It won't be difficult even if he or she is living in Mars.
And its very easy to fall victim to this attitude o. Thank God my bestie is with me here. And thank God for bbm. Lol

(1) (Reply)

If She Tells You'll Die If You Have Sex With Her, What Would You Do? / 5 Ways To Get Her To Like You / Some Lies Nigerian Girls Tell Their Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.