Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages (29198 Views)

NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 / Mobile Number Portability: What Network Would You Be Migrating To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by oshinlajaneyo(m): 4:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
For me dis MNP 90 days stuff make it look worry some.wen u hv d ability of purchasing 3 sim chinco. Jst Imagine all dis Fines NCC collected frm dis telecom provider, on our behalf, are we benefiting frm dis at all. D most annoying one is BB subscription
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:42pm On Apr 05, 2013
texazzpete:

Not everyone is interested in using your low end Dual or Tri Sim phones, thank you.

Who tell you say all dual Sim phone na cheap phone? Have heard of Samsung Galaxy GRAND Dual Sim phone before?

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by RedLight1: 4:44pm On Apr 05, 2013
Billyonaire: Because you need to retain your 11 digits phone number. Businessmen do not buy new sims every time, cos we do not print letterheads and business cards every month. And we also have clients that call sometimes 2 yrs after they got your business card, so the phone number has to be retained for ever and network can be juggled while shopping for better signal at cheaper rate.

Besides, it is a choice, students and unemployed persons can decide not to port, no be by force.
a businness man dnt use just a number...u have one for direct and one or 2 for business ... Thats how i did my own... 1 line for family and friends... The other 2 for business and transactions.... And u cant expect out of my busy schedule to be going about looking for where to collect form simply becoz i want to change my carrier only to wait for another 90days to change back if am not pleased with the carrier i migrated to
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by patholaw: 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas:
E better say you get all the GSM Sim card than make you stay with one provider by removing your number from say Glo to MTN. I hope say you understand me.
tanks....
the switching wld have been better if it can be done within minutes...bcus dat 90days is 2much....
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2013
Red-Light:
the most discouraging part is having to collect form b4 u can change network.. Its total nonsense.. Why in the world would i wana waste my time and money only to wait for another 90days for the same process when i can just get N100 sim out there...
That's the best way to go.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
Red-Light:
a businness man dnt use just a number...u have one for direct and one or 2 for business ... Thats how i did my own... 1 line for family and friends... The other 2 for for business and transactions.... And u cant expect out of my busy schedule to be going about looking for where to collect form simply becoz i want to change my carrier only to wait for another 90days to change back if am not pleased with the carrier i migrated to
That's the point. Why will be tied down with a network that have poor service all because I ported. Never.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
chiover: I think you're 100% correct sir!. It doesn't ring a positive bell to me either
Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by greenguy: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
pointless article.

MNP is a very welcome idea; it places the telecom operators on their feet and 3months space for switching makes sense too (technically).
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
bowee4u: It will aid compitition and force down the cost of making calls, that is what most people disire.
Competion? Correct. Force down price? Not very correct. However, have you considered the quality of service? This is the most important aspect of it.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 4:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
greenguy: pointless article.

MNP is a very welcome idea; it places the telecom operators on their feet and 3months space for switching makes sense too (technically).
Pointless only to YOU.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Gabrielsylar(m): 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas:
True talk jare. Hola your number, maybe I fit help with 100 naira.
ahhhhh bros me wey u dey yab bokoharam...dem fit trace my number ooooo and na BOOMMMMMM!!!!!! Hahahahaha but no weapon formed against me shall prosper
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by besticality: 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
I currently work with one of the BIG 4 and we have been going for training upon training abt MNP.
This is the process : u call the call centre to enquire about their requirements.
U send 'port' from your phone to 3232
And you go to the showroom of the network you wish to port into for the completion of the process.

Its expected to be completed within 48hours.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Koolking(m): 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
The advantage of recharging your SIM with any network card is a big turn on. That means, if you are using MTN SIM, and you have any of Glo, Airtel or Etisalat Recharge PIN handy, you are good to go.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by RedLight1: 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
the MNP can only become reasonable when they remove all the stress

they can make it a bit expensive to discourage abuse

buh holding sum1 down for 90days just for no reason or collecting form up and down is too discouraging ... I hope they will put all that into consideration b4 they roll MNP OUT fully

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by a1solution: 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
[size=20pt]What of internet modem, can the ported number work in my modem since it has been programmed to work with the subscriber I bought it from?[/size]
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by ciphoenix: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas:
Who tell you say all dual Sim phone na cheap phone? Have heard of Samsung Galaxy GRAND Dual Sim phone before?

he said "low end" not "cheap"
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by RedLight1: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
Koolking: The advantage of recharging your SIM with any network card is a big turn on. That means, if you are using MTN SIM, and you have any of Glo, Airtel or Etisalat Recharge PIN handy, you are good to go.
where d heck did u get that from? shocked
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by RedLight1: 5:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
besticality: I currently work with one of the BIG 4 and we have been going for training upon training abt MNP.
This is the process : u call the call centre to enquire about their requirements.
And you go to the showroom of the network you wish to port into for the completion of the process.

so what are the requirements for the network u work with?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Isryl02(m): 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
patholaw: pls some1 should summarize the story 4 me angry
ok
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by AdeniyiA(m): 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
wetin concern me wt dea portability wen i get 4-sim phone
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by a1solution: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
besticality: I currently work with one of the BIG 4 and we have been going for training upon training abt MNP.

The bolded is the problem we are talking about. Cant everything be done electronically within 24 hours?

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by austinoeze(m): 5:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
my advice on d MNP is for 1 to get all d sim cards in his pocket.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Ojobojo1(m): 5:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
This dude doesn't have a clue,so tell me,which network paid u to come and spew ds trash.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by specialguest(f): 5:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
nenergy: The use of dual/Tri Sim phones in Nigeria will frustrate the MNP. I for one have all 4 sim cards (i use 3 number at a time-1 single sim & 1 dual sim phone),so no need to port. Only dissatisfied customers who use only one line will port.

I agree with you. I would rather have a Tri sim phone with three sim cards in it that i can use at will than visiting mtn or glo office after 90 days to port. Honestly i dont have the time and patience.
Thank God its optional because i can imagin what would have happened if NCC decides that we can only use a sim at a particular time. Meaning if you have more than one sim, you can only have one line active while the rest would be deactivated. That would have encouraged the porting thing as people would be forced to maintain just a sim card however the thought of it alone is worrisome.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by kokoye(m): 5:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
If everything works well, MNP is a good thing.

But, IT IS OPTIONAL.

MNP just gives you the opportunity to move your number to another provider IF YOU CHOOSE TO....you can still keep your SIMs from others providers

So I dont get why the OP is trying to discourage it...I dont even know what hidden agenda can be behind this.

It is not by force..and no-one has said you cant keep your other SIMs and number because you have ported one number.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by lexyman(m): 5:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
[quote author=texazzpete]

To be honest, I cannot see the common sense in this long epistle. Your solution that users should simply swap another SIM into their phone defeats one of the main purposes of the MNP: Keep your existing number active for ALL your contacts to reach while moving to another network. If I want people to reach me on 08070050054, for example, why would switching to another SIM card and another number be an option?

There are people who get good service from one particular network in their new house. You say switching to that network is not a good idea? If I use MTN and in my area, only Etisalat has 3G, why should i not switch to Etisalat and keep my number? You think service degrades instantly?
You're probably affiliated to one of these carriers who desperately HATE the idea of MNP...because for once it removes some of the chains tying down customers to their network. I have NEVER gotten 3G on my Airtel line in my house...i have HSDPA 3.5G in my house on my Etisalat modem. Why the heck will i not move my airtel line to Etisalat where I am guaranteed faster data speeds all over the city i live in?

Bro your head too correct !
Try call me , I no get ur contact again , since I lost my phone
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Sleekydee(m): 5:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
Dude like wtf? U watchin 2 much hollywood or NaGeo channel...hehehehe
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by esanland: 5:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
MPN is a very good development for Nigeria.
This writer dont no what he is talking about asking Nigeria to reject MPN.He should have call for Nigerians to demand better service from phone operators in Nigeria.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by omicron(m): 5:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
The OP's opinion is shallow. The advantages of the MNP are both short and long term. In the long term, it will drive competition within the industry like never before, which will keep those operators on their toes. In the short, operate simply have the Power or Pleasure of ditching their most hated provider! I'm 100% in support of MNP.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by IYANGBALI: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
aminho: Am I late
yes the party is over
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
@Op, so you will buy 4 SIMS and keep telling your friends to save the 4 numbers or what? Are you not tired of moving around with more than one phone?

For those that are interested in the steps involved in changing from one network to another using MNP, read: http://www.ogbongeblog.com/2013/03/mobile-number-portability-in-nigeria.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Free Public Wifi In BRT Buses / How Much Have You Spent On Internet Data So Far In 2021? / Facebook Reunites Classmates After 49 Years (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.