Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages (29201 Views)

NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 / Mobile Number Portability: What Network Would You Be Migrating To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Uffakowoicho(m): 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
Op, i can see only one advantange & one disadvantage. I believe d mnp stuff will b fair. We need 2 give it a try
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by KokoBeware: 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
I wonder why people are complaining of the 90days... Do you want to be jumping from network to network
Remember the 90days option wasn't even there before : you couldn't port at all at all..
Now with MNP you have a choice of switching providers within 48hours and at least stay with them for 90days before you can switch again..... For me Having 3phones is really such a hassle.. But the option is still open..

The next thing telcos should do is monthly contract plans (fixed number of minutes per month to any network for a particular amount). This will make the MNP make plenty sense..

2 Likes

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by danniekute(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
u are very much in point my broda!
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Koolking(m): 6:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
Red-Light:
where d heck did u get that from? shocked

Bro, that's what it is with MNP, unless NCC has not taken that into consideration in Nigeria due to certain factors. If Nigerian telcos could kick against infrastructure co-location, certain workings of MNP will not go down well with them.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by ocheejemb: 7:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
a1solution: The bolded is the problem we are talking about. Cant everything be done electronically within 24 hours?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer:
You cant just sit in your house and switch from one provider to another, remember that this is a process that will involve two big telcos. So obviously they need to switch you off from one end, and do all the requisite housekeeping and add you on on a totally different system and do all the requisite housekeeping. I expect this to be a logistic nightmare at least for the first few months.

Also the telcos arent going to charge for this, so they are not going to be making any gain from letting you go to a competitor (the only positive is that they will also gain other peoples disgruntled users so its an incentive for them to provide best service when/where they can), so they have little or no incentive to make this a smooth process or treat it with high priortity.

Changing your provider (moving your number from one sim to another) is a big deal. They have to be sure that its you and really you who registered the phone number initially that is now changing providers. Imagine if it was a simple 24 hour electronic process where you just send a text and pim..your MTN number has been moved to an Etisalat SIM.Whats then stopping bad mandem from moving your number to thier sim and gaining control of all your phone related business or whatever.

Finally, I dont see why anyone should want to be switching providers ever 2 weeks, is it a toy ni. You previously didn't even have the opportunity at all and you are complaining that 90 days is too short a time to stay with one provider? Best believe it costs time and money to provide this service, you as a customer cannot be abusing it anyhow

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by ocheejemb: 7:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
a1solution: [size=20pt]What of internet modem, can the ported number work in my modem since it has been programmed to work with the subscriber I bought it from?[/size]

Probably not, unless you buy one of those modems that can work with any sim.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by ocheejemb: 7:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
Koolking: The advantage of recharging your SIM with any network card is a big turn on. That means, if you are using MTN SIM, and you have any of Glo, Airtel or Etisalat Recharge PIN handy, you are good to go.

No thats not it at all oh. Where has this kind of system been implemented? It sounds strange, after Glo does all the work in printing recharge card, Mtn will now reap the benefits? I can see how it could work sha, but i dont see how it would be benefecial.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by ocheejemb: 7:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
Koolking:

Bro, that's what it is in MNP, unless NCC has not taken that into consideration in Nigeria due to certain factors. If Nigerian telcos could kick against infrastructure co-location, certain workings of MNP will not go down well with them.
They kicked against colocation? Well I guess NCC cant force them to colocate their facilites but it would actually benefit them to do just this. It would bring down thier operating costs as well.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by kiyosaki1(m): 7:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas: Disclaimer: Please, this is a personal submission over the behaviours of mobile phone network operators in Nigeria, therefore, don't crucify me for saying my mind. Thank you.

MNP is the acronym for Mobile Number Portability. Every Nigerian knows that the telecoms regulator in Nigeria, the NCC have long been promising MNP to Nigerians for a long time now. The more Nigerians expected this process to begin within the telecoms operators in Nigeria, the more it appears that it can never be possible.
Anyway, the wait seems to be over now with the green light NCC gave that, its implementation will begin (or have began) on 26th March, 2013. Although the four major telecoms operators to begin with the MNP have not release any guidelines on their website, Nigerians are truly looking up to a time they will have the POWER to hire and fire any operator at will, for this is the major essence of the MNP implementation.
From the foregoing, let me quickly say that, after observing the behaviours among the four major operators in Nigeria, which are Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, I have personally concluded NEVER to port/migrate to any network under the MNP implementation due to the simple fact that, never will a particular network provider tire me down to their service during poor service delivery on their network. To this end, my numbers on the various networks stays as they are at the moment.

Now, every individual telecoms service subscriber to Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat in Nigeria knows too well that, these four operators have one thing in common - poor service delivery. With the continuous deteriorating services these telcos are offering Nigerians and coupled with the fact that, you are sometimes locked-out by these operators from legally using the service you have subscribed, it therefore make no sense for one to migrate under this MNP regime. The issue of drop calls, over charging on calls, SMS failures and charged, data subscription yet unusable, exorbitant data tariff, unable to call with airtime availability, USSD transaction failures, party called unreachable yet with you, charges for service(s) not rendered and so on and so forth, ranges among the challenges we currently face from these operators.

Ordinarily, one would think that with the HUGE profits these telcos are presenting at the end of every year from their investment, it will present a situation of normal business environment satisfaction from the contributors (subscribers) of these huge gains with quality service delivery but alas, the reverse is the case. The trend has always been that, the subscriber is at the receiving end while the operators keep smiling to the banks at their detriment. MNP somehow will address this but not ultimately.

In pursuant of this topic, I may therefore lack substance to fully express my position but, my decision NEVER to port my number or any of my numbers remain.

ADVANTAGE OF MNP:
1. Ability to retain your NUMBER after porting to a new telecom service provider.
To me, this is the only advantage that MNP will bring to the game. My argument is hinged on the fact that, most Nigerian telecoms subscriber today that have refused to adopt a new number from another provider, despite been offered poor and terrible services from their current operator, is borne out of the fact that, majority of the people have been using the said number they don't want to lose from the inception of Mobile Telephone services in Nigeria. Therefore, switching to a new service provider will mean that, you have to notify all your contacts about your new number, thereby giving you extra work to do. But with MNP, your contacts are still intact with your KNOWN NUMBER even though you are now on operator B network.

DISADVANTAGES OF MNP:
1. Tied down for a period of 90 days. I will rather switch Sim cards on my phone than switch a telecom service provider.
Now, MNP gives you the ability to switch a network provider but, only once in 90 days. Should the operator you just migrated falls into serious network challenges, it means you will remain with them no matter your bitter experience at the moment for a 90 days period. Me? Never!

2. Jump-in but can't Jumb-out at will. Today, whenever you are having network challenges with operator A, you quickly switch to operator B by changing your Sim card. In the case of MNP, you can only jump in at a time but can't jump out as you may desire to do with MNP regime.
These and many more are the reasons I will never jump ship for any reason as the current situation stands with all the four major telecoms operators here in Nigeria. They are all birds of the same feather.

Therefore, I humbly submit that, any reasonable Nigerian that want to continue to set the pace for his/her telecoms usage, should reject MNP and embrace multiple Sim card from the four operators. Thank you.

All Rights Reserved lugardosas@gmail.com
http://emwanta..com/2013/04/the-advantage-and-disadvantages-of-mnp.html
TRASH
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by MCCARTHY01(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
I dnt see any Network provider having netwk prblms for 90 days, so y wud i be tied dwn for 90 days? moreova, any netwk don eva get wahala 4 90 days? MNP is a welcom devt.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by codeworks(m): 7:40pm On Apr 05, 2013
#MNP is a good thing but I expect #NCC to reduce time of switching from operator A to Operator B. may be 2 weeks.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by kokorodudu(f): 7:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
vitality22: Is this MNP operational in Nigeria now?

Yes but on Pilot
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by etebomugmailc(m): 8:09pm On Apr 05, 2013
Really? Is it like this in the other developed countries of the world? Naija brethren can not be that doll to wait untill 90days na.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nehemiah459(m): 8:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
aminho: Am I late
Are you a learner?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by jmaine: 9:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
The OP is a huge joke . . .
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by gerald09(m): 9:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
Disadvantage 1 and 2 sim to be d same tin. The MNP is a great tin to happen it keep dis lazy telecoms like MTN on dem toes is creates competition. The 90days wait is jt a little comma in dis process compared to the horrible services some of the communication company provide eventually more companies can come into nigeria (touch wood) to follow compete. NCC UNA WELL DONE OH ѾΕ̲̣̣̣̥ HAIL THEE!
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by gerald09(m): 9:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
etebomu@gmail.c:
Really? Is it like this in the other developed countries of the world? Naija brethren can not be that doll to wait untill 90days na.
Dude na yesterday dem born u? First Nigeria is NOT a developed country, its developing n it took a long time b4 ur so called developed countries perfected them telecom service. Na mumu like u dey compare Nigeria with UK and US. With dis little initiatives telecom will soon be perfected so if u pain u go hug transformer.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by donaremu(m): 9:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
My fear with MNP is our phone culture of using two, three or four mobile lines at the same. I still think most Nigerian will keep on using two or three mobile phones.
Singapore is the First country to launch MNP in April 1997 and it has been found to bring considerable benefits to consumers, such as lower prices, greater choice, higher quality, broader social networks and a larger range of services.
I am hoping MNP will stir up a health competition among mobile operator and I hope it won't leads to the end of CDMA operators.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by gerald09(m): 9:57pm On Apr 05, 2013
KokoBeware: I wonder why people are complaining of the 90days... Do you want to be jumping from network to network
Remember the 90days option wasn't even there before : you couldn't port at all at all..
Now with MNP you have a choice of switching providers within 48hours and at least stay with them for 90days before you can switch again..... For me Having 3phones is really such a hassle.. But the option is still open..

The next thing telcos should do is monthly contract plans (fixed number of minutes per month to any network for a particular amount). This will make the MNP make plenty sense..
Bro na small small few years back Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ didn't have MNP nw Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ enjoying it soon all dis interesting competitive initiatives will be sometin of the past. I had a DREAM dat 1 day I can make a call n it will not say congestion or no network.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Macky2(m): 9:57pm On Apr 05, 2013
Reading through and understanding what MNP offers, will always live to thank NCC for introducing this because its more beneficial to the customer than to the network operator. Porting 4 times a year from one network operator to another is very considerate when you still retain one number during this period.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Songitto(m): 9:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
it is good idea,coz dis will be a competition between one network and other, dats y mtn giv 5mb/N5 daily.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by regendidi(f): 10:44pm On Apr 05, 2013
luluosas:
Who tell you say all dual Sim phone na cheap phone? Have heard of Samsung Galaxy GRAND Dual Sim phone before?

Galaxy Grand is at best a mid tier phone.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by vedaxcool(m): 10:59pm On Apr 05, 2013
Judging by the OP propaganda, MTN wants to fool me to hold unto their depreciating service at my own expense, to maintain multiple sims, = more cost= buying more recharge cards=additional phones while I can simply sack the incompetent MTN for just 1.00 naira I mean OP your advice does not make economic sense. . . MNP would make these greedy networks improve more on their extremely their poor service . . . The only snag here is can u use say an change MTN sim (moving from MTN to either etilsalat or airtel) for a MTN flash device? Can one perpetually move from one network to another? In any case Nigerians pls we need to serve judgment on poor service let use our power MNP . . .
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by 2nedo(m): 12:37am On Apr 06, 2013
Very soon this MNP stuff will be messed up by some nigerians(i dont know how for now) the way sim reg is been messed up.Can u imagine a customer requesting for a registered sim.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Xzhibit: 1:13am On Apr 06, 2013
it is a wellcom devolopment
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by BANGASOUP1: 2:04am On Apr 06, 2013
luluosas: Disclaimer: Please, this is a personal submission over the behaviours of mobile phone network operators in Nigeria, therefore, don't crucify me for saying my mind. Thank you.

MNP is the acronym for Mobile Number Portability. Every Nigerian knows that the telecoms regulator in Nigeria, the NCC have long been promising MNP to Nigerians for a long time now. The more Nigerians expected this process to begin within the telecoms operators in Nigeria, the more it appears that it can never be possible.
Anyway, the wait seems to be over now with the green light NCC gave that, its implementation will begin (or have began) on 26th March, 2013. Although the four major telecoms operators to begin with the MNP have not release any guidelines on their website, Nigerians are truly looking up to a time they will have the POWER to hire and fire any operator at will, for this is the major essence of the MNP implementation.
From the foregoing, let me quickly say that, after observing the behaviours among the four major operators in Nigeria, which are Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, I have personally concluded NEVER to port/migrate to any network under the MNP implementation due to the simple fact that, never will a particular network provider tire me down to their service during poor service delivery on their network. To this end, my numbers on the various networks stays as they are at the moment.

Now, every individual telecoms service subscriber to Glo, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat in Nigeria knows too well that, these four operators have one thing in common - poor service delivery. With the continuous deteriorating services these telcos are offering Nigerians and coupled with the fact that, you are sometimes locked-out by these operators from legally using the service you have subscribed, it therefore make no sense for one to migrate under this MNP regime. The issue of drop calls, over charging on calls, SMS failures and charged, data subscription yet unusable, exorbitant data tariff, unable to call with airtime availability, USSD transaction failures, party called unreachable yet with you, charges for service(s) not rendered and so on and so forth, ranges among the challenges we currently face from these operators.

Ordinarily, one would think that with the HUGE profits these telcos are presenting at the end of every year from their investment, it will present a situation of normal business environment satisfaction from the contributors (subscribers) of these huge gains with quality service delivery but alas, the reverse is the case. The trend has always been that, the subscriber is at the receiving end while the operators keep smiling to the banks at their detriment. MNP somehow will address this but not ultimately.

In pursuant of this topic, I may therefore lack substance to fully express my position but, my decision NEVER to port my number or any of my numbers remain.

ADVANTAGE OF MNP:
1. Ability to retain your NUMBER after porting to a new telecom service provider.
To me, this is the only advantage that MNP will bring to the game. My argument is hinged on the fact that, most Nigerian telecoms subscriber today that have refused to adopt a new number from another provider, despite been offered poor and terrible services from their current operator, is borne out of the fact that, majority of the people have been using the said number they don't want to lose from the inception of Mobile Telephone services in Nigeria. Therefore, switching to a new service provider will mean that, you have to notify all your contacts about your new number, thereby giving you extra work to do. But with MNP, your contacts are still intact with your KNOWN NUMBER even though you are now on operator B network.

DISADVANTAGES OF MNP:
1. Tied down for a period of 90 days. I will rather switch Sim cards on my phone than switch a telecom service provider.
Now, MNP gives you the ability to switch a network provider but, only once in 90 days. Should the operator you just migrated falls into serious network challenges, it means you will remain with them no matter your bitter experience at the moment for a 90 days period. Me? Never!

2. Jump-in but can't Jumb-out at will. Today, whenever you are having network challenges with operator A, you quickly switch to operator B by changing your Sim card. In the case of MNP, you can only jump in at a time but can't jump out as you may desire to do with MNP regime.
These and many more are the reasons I will never jump ship for any reason as the current situation stands with all the four major telecoms operators here in Nigeria. They are all birds of the same feather.

Therefore, I humbly submit that, any reasonable Nigerian that want to continue to set the pace for his/her telecoms usage, should reject MNP and embrace multiple Sim card from the four operators. Thank you.

All Rights Reserved lugardosas@gmail.com
http://emwanta..com/2013/04/the-advantage-and-disadvantages-of-mnp.html
ok
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by platodeen(m): 2:34am On Apr 06, 2013
Well?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 3:27am On Apr 06, 2013
Macky2: Reading through and understanding what MNP offers, will always live to thank NCC for introducing this because its more beneficial to the customer than to the network operator. Porting 4 times a year from one network operator to another is very considerate when you still retain one number during this period.
Remember I said, with MNP, you surely will retain your number but, while are people forgetting that, the issue of quality service delivery plays a prominent role here?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Smooyis(m): 6:16am On Apr 06, 2013
MNP is power to subscribers. Kudos to NCC.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 6:32am On Apr 06, 2013
gerald09:
Dude na yesterday dem born u? First Nigeria is NOT a developed country, its developing n it took a long time b4 ur so called developed countries perfected them telecom service. Na mumu like u dey compare Nigeria with UK and US. With dis little initiatives telecom will soon be perfected so if u pain u go hug transformer.
I don't agree with you. Is Ghana a developed country? Why are telecoms services cheaper and better in Ghana than Nigeria with the same operator?
Take Glo Ghana for example. There's a HSI data plan offered by Glo Ghana called 'Phone Only'. Do you know that with just 4.00GHC (N493.916),you are allocated 250MB data volume? See http://www.gloworld.com/Ghana/hsi.asp Now, the same Glo is offering Nigerians Always Micro data plan a miserable, good for nothing, ordinary 200MB data volume for a whopping N1,000 (8.10GHC), which would have amounted to over 500MB, if it was in Ghana.
Again, on net/off net calls on Glo Gista Ghana plan is charged at 0.10pw/sec (N0.12348) or 6pw/min (N7.40874) http://www.gloworld.com/ghana/gista.asp I hope you know what the same Glo is charging us here on the same Gista plan. Thank you.
N.B. Currency rate between Nigeria naira and Ghana cedis was converted at www.gocurrency.com/v2/dorate.php?inV=1&from=GHC&to=NGN&Calculate=Convert
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 6:41am On Apr 06, 2013
greenguy: pointless article.

MNP is a very welcome idea; it places the telecom operators on their feet and 3months space for switching makes sense too (technically).
Don't you think that these operators can actually give us better services than they currently offer, why are they not doing so? MNP keeping operators on their toes is an after thought because, they will NEVER change. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Free Public Wifi In BRT Buses / Facebook Reunites Classmates After 49 Years (Photo) / Don't Use Second-Hand Phones - NCC Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.