Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,426 members, 7,954,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:22 AM

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages (29498 Views)

NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 / Mobile Number Portability: What Network Would You Be Migrating To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 6:49am On Apr 06, 2013
patholaw:
tanks....
the switching wld have been better if it can be done within minutes...bcus dat 90days is 2much....
The switching is concluded within 48hrs but, you can only switch ONCE in 90 days. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 6:55am On Apr 06, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: ahhhhh bros me wey u dey yab bokoharam...dem fit trace my number ooooo and na BOOMMMMMM!!!!!! Hahahahaha but no weapon formed against me shall prosper
Which one you dey na?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by kabba7(m): 7:03am On Apr 06, 2013
luluosas:
I think so but, you need to visit your network service provider office.

The new inttended provider or the old provider, am tired of emtinen I want to move sharp sharp ! Hope someone will provide answer please
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 7:04am On Apr 06, 2013
Koolking: The advantage of recharging your SIM with any network card is a big turn on. That means, if you are using MTN SIM, and you have any of Glo, Airtel or Etisalat Recharge PIN handy, you are good to go.
My God! Where's this coming from?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 7:06am On Apr 06, 2013
kabba7:

The new inttended provider or the old provider, am tired of emtinen I want to move sharp sharp ! Hope someone will provide answer please
Your intended network provider.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by iyikolade: 7:31am On Apr 06, 2013
In the instance that a subscriber has migrated to another network, if he loses his sim or it got damaged and needs a replacement, from which of the networks would he request a replacement?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 7:46am On Apr 06, 2013
iyikolade: In the instance that a subscriber has migrated to another network, if he loses his sim or it got damaged and needs a replacement, from which of the networks would he request a replacement?
From your new operator because they are your present provider. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by TechyGuy: 7:52am On Apr 06, 2013
@OP, you are correct but only a bit.
The idea of MNP is to force competition between providers. Network providers will have to up their game to provide better service. Also, it will result in lower tariff.
The idea of having multiple SIMs however is still a good idea. For example, in my area, MTN and Glo have 3.5G, Etisalat has only 2G, Airtel is terrible and unstable. While in another area, it may be the opposite. Hence, i maintain all my lines.
As for business folks, no true business man should have a single line!
You can have 3 lines for business and a personal line, you can port your personal line but no need to port your other lines or you risk having more than one line in a network for up to 3 months while they have network issues.

Contrary to what people say, i find that Etisalat have being the poorest network for me, closely followed by airtel, my glo line has being my favourite line for many years but my mtn has been good. I have lost money for BIS to Etisalat, Airtel and even Glo. Anyway, I still gbadu my Glo n MTN lines, etisalat n airtel can sit on the reserve for now.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by TechyGuy: 8:11am On Apr 06, 2013
In a second thought, let all these people moaning about MTN and Glo port to Etisalat n Airtel and jam their network for them while freeing us some system resources. All these midinight callers who won't let the network rest all day!

I am staying put with my Glo and MTN, I'm sure the network will be better when these Etisalat children port! grin grin
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by texazzpete(m): 8:18am On Apr 06, 2013
luluosas:

To be honest, it's no less daft than your original post.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 8:22am On Apr 06, 2013
kokoye: If everything works well, MNP is a good thing.

But, IT IS OPTIONAL.

MNP just gives you the opportunity to move your number to another provider IF YOU CHOOSE TO....you can still keep your SIMs from others providers

So I dont get why the OP is trying to discourage it...I dont even know what hidden agenda can be behind this.

It is not by force..and no-one has said you cant keep your other SIMs and number because you have ported one number.
My friend, I am not in any way trying to discourage it but, just letting you to know of the implications of the action you are about taking. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 8:36am On Apr 06, 2013
texazzpete:

To be honest, it's no less daft than your original post.
Na you get your mouth my friend so, use am talk anything wey you like, nobody go arrest you for it. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 8:37am On Apr 06, 2013
esanland: MPN is a very good development for Nigeria.
This writer dont no what he is talking about asking Nigeria to reject MPN.He should have call for Nigerians to demand better service from phone operators in Nigeria.
My friend, how many times have NCC the regulator of network service providers in Nigeria fined these operators for poor service delivery? How many times have they been fined for falling below quality benchmark indicator in the industry? How many times have they been asked to suspend whatever promotional services they are running, in order to offer better and quality service? How many times have they been asked to compensate their subscribers? In all these, what do we still have today?
So you see, with or without MNP, these telcos will continue to give terrible services as long as the Regulator (NCC) remains a toothless bulldog.
Have you also considered why after 6 whole days of new interconnect rates as released by NCC for voice calls came into operations, yet, no sign of tariff drop on voice calls in sight among these gain driven telecoms operators. You now ask: Who is be blame? Me? Certainly not. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 8:41am On Apr 06, 2013
Ojobojo1: This dude doesn't have a clue,so tell me,which network paid u to come and spew ds trash.
When has it become a crime for you to air your own views? Maybe you are the one that paid me after all. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 06, 2013
Poo should be the name of this thread... very uninformed and childish reasoning.....

1 Like

Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 06, 2013
I am so just so incensed remembering what this OP wrote.... any you really ok?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 8:44am On Apr 06, 2013
omicron: The OP's opinion is shallow. The advantages of the MNP are both short and long term. In the long term, it will drive competition within the industry like never before, which will keep those operators on their toes. In the short, operate simply have the Power or Pleasure of ditching their most hated provider! I'm 100% in support of MNP.
Really? Then, tell me what I don't know. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by blaid: 8:57am On Apr 06, 2013
hmmm let this info joggling continue we are learning, and soon we will make informed decisions. shocked
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:02am On Apr 06, 2013
JideTheBlogger: @Op, so you will buy 4 SIMS and keep telling your friends to save the 4 numbers or what? Are you not tired of moving around with more than one phone?

For those that are interested in the steps involved in changing from one network to another using MNP, read: http://www.ogbongeblog.com/2013/03/mobile-number-portability-in-nigeria.html
As a matter of fact, I presently have 8 Sim cards from the four major operators for different reasons but serving the same purpose. Now, among these numbers, I only give one out, which is my MAIN line. Therefore, having these lines does not translate to giving out all the numbers for people to reach me on. In as much as I am the one having power over these lines, I choose the one to call with but, you will ALWAYS reach me on my main line, except on times when there are network challenges with that particular operator.
Moreover, having these lines does not as well means carrying more than one phone at any given time. This is because like I said earlier, I only have ONE main line which is always with me wherever I go. Others are optional and therefore not under any obligation for them to be with me everywhere. Thank you.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:05am On Apr 06, 2013
Ravenwolf: Poo should be the name of this thread... very uninformed and childish reasoning.....

Must you talk? Just look and pass if you don't have any meaningful contribution to make. Okay!
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:07am On Apr 06, 2013
blaid: hmmm let this info joggling continue we are learning, and soon we will make informed decisions. shocked
Na so e be jare.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:11am On Apr 06, 2013
Ravenwolf: I am so just so incensed remembering what this OP wrote.... any you really ok?
Whether I am OK for speaking my mind? Na wa for some people sha.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 06, 2013
Sharap jare, Nigerians just choose to be stupid. So I should now buy 4 sim cards and 4 phone numbers, what nonsense. I'm using a smartphone like blackberryZ10, iphone or samsung with micro sims, I will nw be changing sims like a fool undecided
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Timijo(m): 9:27am On Apr 06, 2013
JideTheBlogger: @Op, so you will buy 4 SIMS and keep telling your friends to save the 4 numbers or what? Are you not tired of moving around with more than one phone?

For those that are interested in the steps involved in changing from one network to another using MNP, read: http://www.ogbongeblog.com/2013/03/mobile-number-portability-in-nigeria.html
Must we visit ur site before we know it? Just tell us that you are looking for traffic in ur site and we will know how to help you. Stop this gimmick.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 06, 2013
Ravenwolf: Poo should be the name of this thread... very uninformed and childish reasoning.....

Very childish indeed and illiterate-like reasoning. *spits*
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:47am On Apr 06, 2013
Promhize: Sharap jare, Nigerians just choose to be stupid. So I should now buy 4 sim cards and 4 phone numbers, what nonsense. I'm using a smartphone like blackberryZ10, iphone or samsung with micro sims, I will nw be changing sims like a fool undecided
Oh! I see where you are coming from. Let me tell you, if you like, use Blackberry z200, iPhone 10, or Samsung Galaxy S50, the issue at stake still remains: you will be doing yourself to be tied down to a particular network provider for 90 days, without any option of going out, all in the name of MNP.
In fact, I see most of you shouting MNP MNP MNP today, having a backup Sim(s) card from another operator after you have ported your current number. We shall be here to read about your tales of woes and pains as a result of your action. Therefore, I wish you all 'good luck'.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 9:49am On Apr 06, 2013
Promhize:
Very childish indeed and illiterate-like reasoning. *spits*
Whatever you like, say my dear, you are at liberty to talk.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Koolking(m): 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2013
oche_ejemb:

No thats not it at all oh. Where has this kind of system been implemented? It sounds strange, after Glo does all the work in printing recharge card, Mtn will now reap the benefits? I can see how it could work sha, but i dont see how it would be benefecial.

luluosas:

Are people actually surprised where I am coming from? MNP goes beyond porting numbers or switching networks. One of the realities of MNP is easy or unified recharging platform. There is always commission sharing arrangements by the telcos. That is entirely left for them and NCC to work out. Unless NCC has not integrated this factor into the system. In essence, it's the real deal.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 06, 2013
the OP is probably an MTN staff!!!! to be honest MTN is most scared on this MNP move, because for obvious reasons MTN would be hit hardest of all the Operators!!!!!!!!!!! so everyone please huff and spit at this thread and ignore this Ignorant rant!
MNP is good for the Nigerian Telecom industry, though I am abit disappointed at the 90 days limitation but I am sure they will reduce it in time, either way it's a goods start.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 1:23pm On Apr 06, 2013
Koolking:

Are people actually surprised where I am coming from? MNP goes beyond porting numbers or switching networks. One of the realities of MNP is easy or unified recharging platform. There is always commission sharing arrangements by the telcos. That is entirely left for them and NCC to work out. Unless NCC has not integrated this factor into the system. In essence, it's the real deal.
Really? Okay, will it be only ported numbers that can use this service if actually true or every Sim card, whether ported or not?
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by luluosas(m): 1:26pm On Apr 06, 2013
lestat: the OP is probably an MTN staff!!!! to be honest MTN is most scared on this MNP move, because for obvious reasons MTN would be hit hardest of all the Operators!!!!!!!!!!! so everyone please huff and spit at this thread and ignore this Ignorant rant!
MNP is good for the Nigerian Telecom industry, though I am abit disappointed at the 90 days limitation but I am sure they will reduce it in time, either way it's a goods start.
So, I have now become an MTN staff for speaking my mind. Any way sha, you try for calling this thread ignorant. rant and yet, you choose to comment which altogether paints you ignorant too.
Re: Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages by babuji(f): 1:26pm On Apr 06, 2013
MNP is definitely not for everyone.

The major beneficiaries will be corporate bodies or organizations, multinational companies who have had their numbers since the advent of GSM in nigeria.

They would have been frustrated by their network provider time after time but cant afford to change their numbers at will because of the negative connotations.

Corporate organizations and MNC's don't have the liberty to change their corporate numbers at will because it will signify instability to their customers, suppliers and partners.

To these ones MNP will be a blessing.

Prior to porting they should have tested the service of the network they want to move to using test lines to ensure that the service is better than what they are currently recieving.

All in all, MNP is a welcome development.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NCC Forgives MTN, Lifts Sanctions / Airtel Bis Data Bundle / Nigerians Slam NCC’s IMEI, Phone IDs Directive: We Deserve Some Privacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.