Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... (25040 Views)

First Goalscorers In Prominent Nigerian Stadiums / Pictures Of Nigeria's Stadiums / Why Can't We Have Decent Stadiums In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by nap2: 7:45am On Apr 13, 2013
[size=14pt]Arsenal's game against Nigeria in Abuja unlikely to go ahead.[/size]
Posted on June 29, 2012 by admin

There was a great fanfare this week as Arsenal, along with the promoters, announced officially that the Gunners were set to take on the Super Eagles at the Nigerian National Stadium at Abuja on August the 4th, but it now seems very unlikely that the pitch will be ready to host the game.

A journalist from AllAfrica went to Abuja to talk to Katmwan Dungse, who manages the National Stadium and he has refused to make any comment on the match as he has received no communications from the promotors to say it will go ahead.

[b]But more importantly, back in May the pitch was inspected and was in no condition for any game to be played on, never mind football, and the organizers promised to get it repaired in time for Arsenal’s visit. A spokesman said: “After reviewing the recommendations of our grounds men, we have resolved to change the pitch of the Abuja national stadium,”

“We need to do this because we don’t want any kind of injuries by the Arsenal players. We are committed to having the Wenger boys here. That is why the grounds men at the Emirates came here. So, the pitch you would see on August 2 would be same you watch week in, week out at the Emirates.”

“We have two months before the game and that is enough time for our grounds men to finish the job.

“But we have to first inform the National Sports Commission because we expect to get part refund for the work on the pitch.”

But it looks like there has been no work started on the pitch, in fact the journalist only saw people trying to clear the pitch of pebbles, and with just five weeks to go before the game there is little time to prepare and grow a completely playable pitch.

Because of the state of the Abuja National Stadium, Nigeria’s last two international games have had to be switched to Calabar. If Arsenal are still going to go ahead with the game, it is very unlikely to be in Abuja.[/b]

http://justarsenal.com/arsenals-game-against-nigeria-in-abuja-unlikely-to-go-ahead/14409
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by ekoilee: 7:50am On Apr 13, 2013
Yomieluv: Eko-ile,next time when you want to start a thread,get your facts right,do you think NL is filled with dullards,who you can pass junks to,and expect us to swallow it?
The caption ran by The punch embarrassed the GEJ government,and immediately,moves were made to renovate the said stadium,under a new management. I guess one of the purpose of a media is to criticize,which a responsible government would react to. Leaving the stadium to rot isn't a News,what should be News is the reaction of the government.which the GEJ responded positively.

Stop feeding us with junks.

so the governments reaction to the story about their incompetency is what's important and not the fact that they did not do their job by letting a multi billion naira stadium where your national team call home rot away .?

Are you happy that your lazy and incompetent government is constantly wasting resources all the time to clean up their shame and them go back to square one?

.You people need to keep quiet because your shameful excuses are worse than the main story....

only in Nigeria people defend and make excuses for what they should be condemning.

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by omenka(m): 7:55am On Apr 13, 2013
yorke:

Haba! Why don't you fear God. You still trying to reverse the truth glaring in the eyes of all. You must be very wicked.

grin. I'm sorry sir.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 13, 2013
eko ilee:

so the governments reaction to the story about their incompetency is what's important and not the fact that they did not do their job by letting a multi billion naira stadium where your national team call home rot away .?

Are you happy that your lazy and incompetent government is constantly wasting resources all the time to clean up their shame and them go back to square one?

.You people need to keep quiet because your shameful excuses are worse than the main story....

only in Nigeria people defend and make excuses for what they should be condemning.
we are getting there as a nation,am not defending leaving it to rot,but commending the reaction of the GEJ administration to media. You are the one who needs to shut up,and put up a waterproof story.

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by omenka(m): 7:57am On Apr 13, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Google the meaning of sarcasm.

Him don fail exam. Lol

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by nap2: 8:01am On Apr 13, 2013
This is the nairaland thread about the president's visit, where he expressed shock that the stadium was overgrown with weeds. Renovation of the stadium was begun by Julius Berger in January. What month/year were Aresenal meant to play at the stadium

https://www.nairaland.com/1040137/president-jonathan-visits-super-eagles
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by EkoIle1: 8:11am On Apr 13, 2013
Yomieluv: we are getting there as a nation,am not defending leaving it to rot,but commending the reaction of the GEJ administration to media. You are the one who needs to shut up,and put up a waterproof story.

How exactly are you getting their and would they have responded without the press and public outcry? You mean they didn't know that the National team don't have a functional home and training field?

How are you getting their with the same people responsible for the rot are still in charge especially when in other sane places, their get fired on the spot?

How are you getting their with federal stadiums all over the country in shambles especially the one in Lagos that they don't even refer to anymore as if it doesn't exist?

Why should we commend people for ineptitude and incompetency? Are for real or you are just naturally dumb and stupid?

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by nap2: 8:14am On Apr 13, 2013
The team's eventual visit and workout session with Kaffy. Note: they said the game was cancelled for logistics reasons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2180943/Arsenals-Bacary-Sagna-Lukas-Podolski-Per-Mertesacker-dancing-Lagos-Nigeira.html
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by solomon111(m): 8:15am On Apr 13, 2013
Is it the abuja stadium that is currently undergoing repairs and upgrades.?
Must you politicize everything.?
Some people are very very untruthful.
Smh.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 13, 2013
Eko Ile:

How exactly are you getting their and would they have responded without the press and public outcry? You mean they didn't know that the National team don't have a functional home and training field?

How are you getting their with the same people responsible for the rot are still in charge especially when in other sane places, their get fired on the spot?

How are you getting their with federal stadiums all over the country in shambles especially the one in Lagos that they don't even refer to anymore as if it doesn't exist?

Why should we commend people for ineptitude and incompetency? Are for real or you are just naturally dumb and stupid?
I thought I was conversing with someone with higher IQ,but met with the opposite. GEJ was embarrassed,and handed over the maintenance to Julius Berger,because the people at the helms of affair then were sacked. Development is gradual,not spontaneous. Mr oga,get that to your dumb skull. Am holding fort for the Abuja stadium,and not other institution,cos you claim its in a state of rot. YOU ARE A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR. Bootlicker.

5 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by EkoIle1: 8:25am On Apr 13, 2013
Byline: Juliana Taiwo

Abuja, Aug 02, 2005 (This Day/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) -- The Federal Ministry of Sports and Social Development is working in conjunction with authorities of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, to ensure that the Abuja National Stadium is served adequately with electricity and water supply.

The Minister of Sports and Social Development, Dr. Saidu Samaila Sambawa made this known while responding to journalists' questions at the FIFA Goal Project Site at the Abuja Stadium.

He debunked claims that the Abuja Stadium was poorly maintained and said that in the contrary, government had kept the stadium in prime condition

http://business.highbeam.com/3548/article-1G1-134796135/abuja-stadium-not-neglected-minister

^^^^^^^^^ That was back in 2005. The incompetent minister lying through his gummy flaps. So it took how many years for them to admit that they lied and are all incompetent.?
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by EkoIle1: 8:26am On Apr 13, 2013
Yomieluv: I thought I was conversing with someone with higher IQ,but met with the opposite. GEJ was embarrassed,and handed over the maintenance to Julius Berger,because the people at the helms of affair then were sacked. Development is gradual,not spontaneous. Mr oga,get that to your dumb skull. Am holding fort for the Abuja stadium,and not other institution,cos you claim its in a state of rot. YOU ARE A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR. Bootlicker.

Put up facts to back up your rubbish or STFU.

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 13, 2013
Since we'r doing comparison, maybe we should also compare Lagos Television (LTV) versus NTA.

The ONLY programme I tune to LTV on DSTV to watch is sports splash (presented by Godwin Enekhena). Unfortunately, most times I dont get to see the programme due to LTV incompetence and cluelessness. NTA does not have too many fantastic programmes but atleast for the few programmes I watch on it, you can be sure to see it when you tune in.

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by solomon111(m): 8:30am On Apr 13, 2013
Eko Ile:

put up facts?
Smh.
The facts are online,you ACN scum.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by EkoIle1: 8:33am On Apr 13, 2013
^^^^^^^^ Trolls = No facts..

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by solomon111(m): 8:36am On Apr 13, 2013
Eko Ile: ^^^^^^^^ Trolls = No facts..
you are pathetic.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 13, 2013
Eko Ile:

am typing from a phone,which isn't too friendly to use. Else,I would have put up some photonews.

By the way,the caption u put up there is 2005,it shows you are really backward,and retrogressive in nature,and thinking. Am disappointed at you,to put up rubbish claim.

By the way,do you even know where Abuja is,muchless the stadium?

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by nap2: 8:37am On Apr 13, 2013
I'm more interested in something else. I'm interested in the question how do we maintain our national stadia and ensure that it does not fall into that state of disrepair (this is something I've been working on since 1989 when the government "painted" the national stadium).

Back in the day there was a proposal that the stadiums should be given to clubs to manage and use. This was because, at that time, when the national teams were not playing, the National Stadium Lagos, Ahmadu Bello Stadium Kaduna, Liberty Stadium Ibadan and Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Enugu would lie unused for months. It was felt that the clubs could use revenue gotten from ticket sales and hiring out the stadiums for events to maintain the stadiums. That wasn't done.

In the mid-2000s, area boys in Surulere wrote a letter to the stadium manager at the National Stadium and the Ministry of Sports, requesting for permission to manage the stadium. They felt that they could do a better job and remit funds back to the government. That wasn't done.

We need to find a long term and sustainable method of managing our national stadia, because they should be cash cows, rather than derelict white elephants.

What often happens (and this has been the case since 1989 when we were bidding to host the world junior championships) is that the media would raise an alarm, the government would hurriedly take measures to remedy the situation, then 5 or 10 years down the line, the stadium would become a disaster site again. In the case of the National Stadium Lagos, it seems it has been forgotten since the 2000 Nations Cup.

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 13, 2013
Since we'r doing comparison, maybe we should also compare University of Lagos (UNILAG) versus Lagos state university (LASU)
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by OmoTier1(m): 8:49am On Apr 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Since we'r doing comparison, maybe we should also compare Lagos Television (LTV) versus NTA.

The ONLY programme I tune to LTV on DSTV to watch is sports splash (presented by Godwin Enekhena). Unfortunately, most times I dont get to see the programme due to LTV incompetence and cluelessness. NTA does not have too many fantastic programmes but atleast for the few programmes I watch on it, you can be sure to see it when you tune in.
Bro I dey watch you oh...see as shame dey take catch you, you wan take style style shift the koko of thing wet dey ground! Why you GEJ allow our N100bn stadium rotten like this nah ? Shooko nah this be fresh air wey Himwan give persin

4 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by OmoTier1(m): 8:58am On Apr 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Since we'r doing comparison, maybe we should also compare University of Lagos (UNILAG) versus Lagos state university (LASU)
Dem sey see monkey, you dey shout banana! As the chief propagandist on NL on behalf of the rejected and incompetent GEJ, can you shed more light on why Abuja national stadium is a eyesore? Forget about any comparison with Lagos, the message that is not said by the OP is not the comparison with Lagos, rather that the national stadium is no longer a source of pride and nationhood, with billions spent on it.

I remember listening to Alan Green on BBC radio 5 live during the award of the 2014 Common Wealth Games hosting right to Glasgow and His comment was Abuja national stadium was a beauty deserving to Host the CWG. He event went as far saying The cycling velodrome was just too good and He never believed Nigeria had such. Facility in place in Abuja. Barely 4 years down the line, it's a sorry state of affairs cry
This government has done so much arm to this country and the scale of incompetence and negligence of responsibility is staggering to say the list. Imagine NSC and NFF are reported by international news media as going bankrupt and not a single press release from the Sport as well as the President Special advisers to counter the information! What a state Nigeria NW finds herself. How low can this nation get under this government? God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by nap2: 8:59am On Apr 13, 2013
Apart from the general state of the stadium, another important issue is the pitch (in 1989 my dad asked the minister why the stadium was being repainted when the two most important aspects of the stadium, the pitch and dressing rooms had not been touched).

1) There was a proposal to ask the Institute of Tropical Agriculture to conduct experiments and grow the type of grass that would be able to withstand the climatic conditions in Nigeria (extreme heat and huge rainfall). Nothing was done.

2) There's the issue of synthetic pitches, which the Lagos State Government opted to use. Synthetic pitches are easier to maintain, but some teams believe that they are inferior to grass pitches and refuse to play on them.

3) However, some say it's just a case of proper management, care and attention. Someone pointed to the condition of the Unilag Sports Centre pitch, which he said was always in pristine condition in the mid-90s. He said that this was because of the constant attention and care the management showered on the pitch.

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 13, 2013
All I see here are shameful rebuttals to the OP ....they are resulting to unnecessary rhetoric that can't stand for any effectual counter-fact.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by bloggernaija: 10:56am On Apr 13, 2013
Seriously.why Is fashola not the president.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by 1stola: 10:59am On Apr 13, 2013
@OP, OLODO NIE.
WHAT IS TWO STADIUMS
MYFREND CORRECT URSELF
embarassed embarassed
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by naptu2: 11:01am On Apr 13, 2013
Plural of stadium = stadia or stadiums (both are correct).

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Akpaife(m): 11:02am On Apr 13, 2013
@op u be mumu is nt like dat again stop abusing d capital of ur country go back n look at it again u will belive me abuja is a cool place
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 13, 2013
na fresh air dey blow abuja stadium. a common gov doing better than a whole head of state.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by gerald09(m): 11:07am On Apr 13, 2013
Jt imagine the money spent on building this stadium. Why are nigerian govt so wasteful like dis. The may as well pure gasoline on 100billion naira and set it on fire cos its basically d same tin.
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by Arsenate(m): 11:09am On Apr 13, 2013
solomon111: Is it the abuja stadium that is currently undergoing repairs and upgrades.?
Must you politicize everything.?
Some people are very very untruthful.
Smh.
so dammnn untruthful I tell you. I used to think this eko ile of a guy really cares about Naija but I've come to the realisation that with him everything is politics; scoring cheap political point at any given opportunity. I understand he's ACN (APC now) rep here on NL. I'd rather burn my voters card than vote for that party. Twaaaa...frigging hypocrite and propagandist; we are having enough of you.

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by livethinme: 11:10am On Apr 13, 2013
eko ilee:

The abuja stadium is still a mess unless you have pictures to show us stating its current state.

That's even irrelevant, the question is, why was the stadium neglected and let rot .? why? where was the government? where was the sports ministry.? where was football federation.? After spending billions on repairs, It's still going to be neglected all over again because the sane lazy, corrupt and incompetent people are still in charge.

You sure the money went on repairs?
Re: A Tale Of Two Stadiums. Lagos And Abuja Stadiums... by theripper2: 11:26am On Apr 13, 2013
ACN touts seem to b more vociferous these days, waht is wrong with d PDP laptop gang? They have become laconic of late.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hope Uzodimma Receives Desire Oparanozie, Chiamaka Nnadozie, Osinachi Ohale / Man Burns His Arsenal Jersey After Loss To Chelsea / Arsenal Offer Ozil To Juventus On Loan For Chance To Reunite Him With Ronaldo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.