Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Story: Taking Chances - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Taking Chances (392565 Views)

10 Bestseller E-novels For The Taking / "Taking My Chances" Episode One / Taking Over(a Play) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:39am On May 06, 2013
hadayshawlar:
One thing I am so sure of is dat Jide will come to love dis girl.
Do me a favor Princesa, make him GROVEL for her attention when dat time comes.thanks in advance
you are welcome in advance grin
why are stories so predictable these days? i Guess we should blame those nollywood producers grin

#that's just a tip of the iceberg, Chapter 7 continues later today hopefully#

thanks to all of u for reading.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 4:40am On May 06, 2013
YOu're welcome for thanking us for reading cheesy. Can't wait till the grovelling part begins.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by IZUKWU(m): 5:50am On May 06, 2013
Good stories though but it seemed hurried,i don't know if any other person will agree with me. Am waiting for the next upload but take your time and do a good work.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by MumZ(f): 8:31am On May 06, 2013
If every1 cn predict ur story line, den I dnt tink it ll mke 4 interestn readn. U dnt av 2 write it d way every1 want, u av d idea, so mke it unpredictable wit some surprises n suspense. Dat ll capture a reader's attention 4 long. So far so good. Weldone.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Eneze1(f): 9:37am On May 06, 2013
keep up the good work princesa
Re: Story: Taking Chances by frank317: 10:15am On May 06, 2013
Adanne, where is d contination na? Waiting patiently darling
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 06, 2013
Princesaaaa Come nd update na
Re: Story: Taking Chances by oyestephen(m): 12:18pm On May 06, 2013
Adamu..or whatever your name is, face ur business, and stop looking at your oga-madam
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:22pm On May 06, 2013
lol...help me tell am oh......

Mum Z :

If every1 cn predict ur story line, den I dnt tink it ll
mke 4 interestn readn. U dnt av 2 write it d way every1 want, u av d
idea, so mke it unpredictable wit some surprises n suspense. Dat ll
capture a reader's attention 4 long. So far so good. Weldone.

should i get them divorced then?
would that be a suspense filled ending romance story are easy to predict, that's why embarassed

just keep your fingers crossed grin

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by MumZ(f): 12:53pm On May 06, 2013
princesa: lol...help me tell am oh......

should i get them divorced then?
would that be a suspense filled ending romance story are easy to predict, that's why embarassed

just keep your fingers crossed grin
Actually, d END of romance stories r already knwn, d gal n boy ends up 2geda. Wat mkes it fun 2 read is d twist n turn. Dnt get me wrong, ur story is captivatn, its grab my attetion rght 4rm d begining, bt dnt let d readers lead u 4rm d way u want 2 write it n write it our way. N in romance even if dey divorce 100 times, den must end up 2geda @ d end. Wat do I knw sha, cnt write fiction, only lke 2 read. So weldone.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by PrettySpicey(f): 1:49pm On May 06, 2013
A most interesting story, Princesa. Thank you for making my Monday morning fun & eventful.
I would like to say this though ... hope you don't mind.
In writing, language n expression r key. U used them well ... But watch out 4 unseen pit of forgetting which tenses you are using.
And I also think that in translating a dialect, it shouldn't be in bracket. But maybe a translated continuation like ...
"ara na pu nwa o... My goodness this boy is mad o."
Sth like that, think about it?
N then writing structure is also key.
Chose yours. Well structured events makes for quicker understanding and interest.

All in all, Princesa I do think (as you've been hearing) that you did a great job.
Thumbs up

2 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 11:39pm On May 06, 2013
thanks pretty......i appreciate.

#hi guys, am simply sorry that i couldn't post as promised#
Re: Story: Taking Chances by moresignal(f): 10:10am On May 07, 2013
Princesa... Where u at? Stop keeping me waiting
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 7:51pm On May 07, 2013
'Why are you up till now? It Ain't good for your health you know' Daisy said as she made her way to the back of the chair mama sat.

She was spending the weekend at Mama's residence, it had been a routine since her sophomore year, and though now she has graduated and even
working, the tradition still stuck.

Daisy had been watching a late night movie when she noticed light rays from Mama's study, she had then decided to go check on her since the movie had also ended.

'am stronger than you think' mama replied smiling, her eyes shut as she relished the pleasure from Daisy's hand massaging her shoulders.

'its midnight already, you need rest.'Daisy replied continuing her act.

'or did a new order arrive from Nigeria?' she added. Mama always worked into the night whenever that happened.

'yeah, that and a lot more' replied Mama sitting up.

Daisy stopped the massage. She had sensed something was amidst through out the day. Mama wasn't her cheerful self. And now her words just confirmed it.

Daisy walked past mama, drew a chair and sat close to her.

'I know something is wrong, why don't you tell me what it is?' she said.

Mama gave a painful smile, took down her reading glass and cast a glance at Daisy. Her expression unreadable. Daisy pulse raised involuntarily, she was worried.

'Daisy Omo mi...' she began 'i don't know how to put this across to
you...'

Daisy heart beat faster, that was a bad line to start with, the two
women were so close that no secret existed between them, why was Mama sounding like that!

Daisy made to speak, but mama shook her head signaling her to stop.

'jó kin soro tan' (please, let me finish speaking) she said.

Silence ensued for what seemed like hours to Daisy, she was beside
herself with worries, different thoughts coursed through her mind and
she couldn't rein in her desperation.

Mama spoke then.

'My son, called me just yesterday from Nigeria, it doesn't seem ok over there. Jide...'

'Jide what happened to him? Hope he's ...' Daisy cut in.

Mama smiled shaking her head. It wasn't going to be hard afterall, she thought.

'Daisy, ni suru, mo ni pe ko Je kin soro tan' mama calmed the agitated girl. (Daisy be calm, i told you to allow me finish)

'quite alright, Jide is the reason for this discussion now, but nothing
bad as you think has happened to him. omo jati jati yen wa da da ni,
tori yen lon fin she yeye si nigeria' mama said raising her voice in the
last statement. (that silly boy is very fine, and that's the reason
he's misbehaving in Nigeria).

Daisy heaved a sigh of relief. Her man of dream was okay, then what was wrong she thought.

Mama continued. 'my son called me, and he was relaying to me how irresponsible Jide has become, especially with women, Jide ngbe awon Omo oloriburuku obirin to po si ile eko!(jide mingles with iresponsible
women that are all over Lagos) can you imagine that, at his age, he's
not settled down, omo mi Adekanbi was married and has given birth to him
and his brother at that age. Yet he feels sleeping around is best for
him...'mama was shaking with anger now.

'pls calm down mama, are you sure of this...' Daisy cut in, she was
hurting with all mama was revealing and still worried over her working
herself up because of her health.

But Mama was not deterred. There really was no stopping her when she
became like this.

'...ofcourse am sure! And to think his father and i are working hard to
see the company grow and see that our family name is untainted, yet he
disobeys him and even refuse to come to work, he keeps late night, going
from club to club, dancing around his life! ah! Ko ni da fun gbogbo
won, i swear!' (it will not be well with all of them) mama completed
heaving with anger and a tear stained eyes.

Daisy watched on quietly, she was heartbroken, the picture mama had
painted made her feel Jide was actually cheating on her. A tear rolled
down her cheeks.

Mama saw the tear and held her hand gently.

'Daisy omo mi, ma ke' (my child do not cry).

'its okay, am fine...' daisy replied with a weak smile, there wasn't any plausible reason why should she be crying over the issue, how would mama take it, it wasn't as if jide was married to her or something. Only she knew her secret fantasy, what she should do now was console mama and not bloody cry! She wiped her tears.

'am really fine, am worried about you that's all'. She added and looked down

Mama considered the younger woman for some seconds, Daisy actually crying confirmed what she already knew and she was secretly glad because it meant her plan would perfectly work.

'crying would not solve OUR problem you know...'she said. Daisy looked up then to find Mama smiling and staring at her. She was confused.

'i know you like him, i know everything, even though its recent'. She continued

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 8:08pm On May 07, 2013
Daisy said nothing, she was dumbfounded. How had mama known, she had guided
the secret carefully. But mama was insinuating otherwise. She was still aching inside from the hurt and even felt a strong force to protect her man from the claws of those 'oloriburuku' girls that filled Lagos.

Mama stroked her arm gently, 'am really glad that YOU are the one who likes Jide, maybe also love him, and even though he might not seem the best option of a man for you right now, i believe that you are what he needs, your charm is enough to get him on the right tracks, and i want
you to help me'

'Me? What can i do' daisy asked confused, she wasn't sure where mama was headed.

'Yes you, iwo ni mo fe' (its you i want)

'mama i....'

'its my plan to get him settled, and i want you to be his bride'. Mama dropped the bombshell, it hit Daisy like a tornado.

'Bride!' daisy exclaimed standing up. 'you don't...are you...i...will
he...i mean...its sudden...i don't...there's Peter...and what...' she was stuttering for She was nervous.

'Daisy calm down please' mama pleaded. 'i know you and Peter broke up last month, or did...'

'No we've not' Daisy replied

'Then that's not the problem, please think over this issue I know it's a bizarre request i make, but help me out, lets save this
man we love'

Daisy sat down. What was she to make of this request? Marry Jide! Like Marry Jide! Was that a dream come true or what? She didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

She slowly raised her head to see the expectant look on Mama's face. Mama was indeed serious!

'what about Jide, has he agreed to this?' she asked.

'He has...i mean he will, he has no option than to, your acceptance is
what i need now'.

'Let me think over this' Daisy replied calmly.

Painful Silence.

Mama stood up and patted her back. 'Goodnight my child' she said and
walked out.

Daisy kept still, she was deep in thought. Was he worth the risk?

The next morning, Daisy had told the over joyed woman that she accepted. That became a catalyst to series of quarrel, fights, austerity measures to subdue Jide.

Soon the proposal was 'exported' to Nigeria, its 'importer' Jide's father and the 'consumer' Jide himself. It hadn't been easy but the wedding occurred at last amidst fire and brimstone.

Daisy placed the last of the food on the dining table, the time showed that Jide would soon be back. All that travel through Memory lane was making her dizzy and emotional, she needed so much to rest.

If she had been thrilled and happy then, when she had accepted the proposal a month ago, she wasn't now. She was living on hope that the man whom she had left everything in Boston to come 'save' would one day, see and and atleast thank her for her unsolicited gamble of taking chances with him.

She left for her room when she heard the noise of the gate signifying that he was back.

3 Likes

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 8:34pm On May 07, 2013
that's all for now, no lectures tomorrow means i would work on the remaining chapter, so help me God.

#i hope this update didn't seem rushed, Izukwu and co, comments oh#smiley

off to go watch 'boys over flowers# grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by moresignal(f): 9:29pm On May 07, 2013
9ice work princesa... Just dont keep me waiting tomarw
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 07, 2013
Yay! Very buriful. . . Cant wait for tomorrow. . cheesy
My daughter inlaw, you're doing a nice job. kiss
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Ollyfad(f): 9:57pm On May 07, 2013
grin
princesa: that's all for now, no lectures tomorrow means i would work on the remaining chapter, so help me God.

#i hope this update didn't seem rushed, Izukwu and co, comments oh#smiley

off to go watch 'boys over flowers# grin
u r stil on boys ova flower?pls move on 2 personal taste joor.d film held me ransom til d mawnin of my test nd i culdnt evn read 4 d test

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:06am On May 08, 2013
Ollyfad:
grin u r stil on boys ova flower?pls move on 2 personal taste joor.d film held me ransom til d mawnin of my test nd i culdnt evn read 4 d test
grin that film is damn so addictive, so tel me what hapnd at last, did Geum jan di marry Ji Hoo or Jun pyo grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:10am On May 08, 2013
Br3nd4:
Yay! Very buriful. . . Cant wait for tomorrow. . cheesy
My daughter inlaw, you're doing a nice job. kiss
thanks, so u wil knw ur son is marryn a good girlgrin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 12:12am On May 08, 2013
moresignal:
9ice work princesa... Just dont keep me waiting tomarw
wont dare. Thanks 4 reading smiley
Re: Story: Taking Chances by IzyLuv(f): 5:26am On May 08, 2013
princesa:
grin that film is damn so addictive, so tel me what hapnd at last, did Geum jan di marry Ji Hoo or Jun pyo grin

dat movie dealt with me... Dia was no weddin buh it can be assumed since
Geum jan di acceptd Jun Pyo's proposal @ d last scene...
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Ollyfad(f): 8:15am On May 08, 2013
IzyLuv:

dat movie dealt with me... Dia was no weddin buh it can be assumed since
Geum jan di acceptd Jun Pyo's proposal @ d last scene...
u jst spoilt d fun.y cnt u jst tel ha wia jun pyo was unable 2 rmemba wo jan di was?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 9:39am On May 08, 2013
Beautifully written chapter, d exporter, importer, consumer part was funny. Where do you school? If I may ask, hope am not turning stalkerish.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by duchess3: 11:00am On May 08, 2013
@izyluv,princesa n ollyfad...am so lovin u guys...am also addicted 2 boys ova flower..pls I need 2 knw anoda interesting one..any idea?...@ princes..u rock!!!
Re: Story: Taking Chances by IzyLuv(f): 11:13am On May 08, 2013
Ollyfad: u jst spoilt d fun.y cnt u jst tel ha wia jun pyo was unable 2 rmemba wo jan di was?

sowie ma... D part broke ma heart dou
Re: Story: Taking Chances by IzyLuv(f): 11:16am On May 08, 2013
duchess3: @izyluv,princesa n ollyfad...am so lovin u guys...am also addicted 2 boys ova flower..pls I need 2 knw anoda interesting one..any idea?...@ princes..u rock!!!

kiss heard ''city hunter'' is great as well.. Jun pyo starred in it... Have nt watched it buh my frnds re goin crazy
Re: Story: Taking Chances by duchess3: 11:53am On May 08, 2013
@izyluv..ve seen city hunter...nyc one too,@ princesa..update plzzZzzzz!!#chewin n waitin#
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Tovot: 11:57am On May 08, 2013
princesa: Goodmorning everybody,
na apologies i kukuma carry come grin but i will update chapter 6, today today...
thanks for followingsmiley

#where is that tovot, so she/he finally unfollowed, hot tempered like Jide, oya come back oh embarassed#
I am a LADY oooo,and see how I just shakara you,ahh its been long I visited nl, I missed this story,its good to be back kiss smiley,
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 7:11pm On May 08, 2013
tovot...welcome back
repogirl...cant say here, am gonna pm you.

#boys over flowers fan club#grin
i hear una, am gonna continue with it this night

update is ready here but due to logistics, it is pushed to tomorrow.smiley

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 7:14pm On May 08, 2013
Lol @ logistics.

No problem, I replied your pm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Captor Of My Heart: The Tamers. / Meant To Be / When Love Speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.