Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? (19415 Views)

Are Professional Courses Really Important / Professional Courses / Pls, How Recognised Is This Academy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 12:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
Please I really need to know 'cos 'am thinking of one before the end of this year; I want to know if it would be worth it as it is quite expensive, although the school is in the United States. I would appreciate your contribution.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 9:19am On Apr 24, 2013
No one has an idea? undecided
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by tinnymerit(m): 9:03am On Apr 25, 2013
no not in Niger area,because ur cert will carry distance learning traing/cert.But u can still give it a dive sha.If u know some ogas at the top that can categorically tell u when and how to get job(s) then no 2 things invoved.

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 3:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
Ok. Thank you so much. I appreciate your contribution
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by hildasubi(f): 9:01am On Apr 26, 2013
Good morning, Yes it is recognized in Nigeria i took several (3) online UK based professional certifications, and thank God i got a job based on 1 of the professional certifications i did. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 11:07am On Apr 26, 2013
Thanks hildasubi. I appreciate it
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by moshoodn(m): 3:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
Depends...

If its a cert every Tom and Harry has (such as NIM), then don't bother wasting your time...

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
moshoodn: Depends...

If its a cert every Tom and Harry has (such as NIM), then don't bother wasting your time...

No, it's not. Thanks
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by moshoodn(m): 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2013
4tunebest:

No, it's not. Thanks

Then you're good to go bro...

All the very best!!
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by CrazyMan(m): 11:02am On Apr 28, 2013
Truth is most potential employers in Nigeria don't accept online degree, and if you're presenting it to boost your already acquired regular degree (B.sc, Hnd..etc) it would in no way serve as an added advantage to you on employment basis.

Reasons why your online degree would be greeted with an austere approach include.

1. Lack of rigor.

2. Lack of face-to-face interactions with your lecturers.

3. Increased potential for academic dishonesty.

4. concerns about online students’ true commitment evident from regularly venturing to a university physical location, considered by some to be an important part of the educational experience.

5. Problems of tests and exams being too easy thereby reducing your learning capability and making you less challenged.

On the other hand, since you're planing to do it in the united states, you should focus more on the conditions that could influence your hiring process in the united states...they include.

1. Name recognition/reputation of the degree-granting institution.

2. Appropriate level and type of accreditation.

3. Candidates relevant work experiences.

5 Likes

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2013
Yes it is and still evolving

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 1:16pm On Apr 28, 2013
moshoodn:

Then you're good to go Sis grin

All the very best!!

Thanks
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 1:22pm On Apr 28, 2013
CrazyMan: Truth is most potential employers in Nigeria don't accept online degree, and if you're presenting it to boost your already acquired regular degree (B.sc, Hnd..etc) it would in no way serve as an added advantage to you on employment basis.

Reasons why your online degree would be greeted with an austere approach include.

1. Lack of rigor.

4. concerns about online students’ true commitment evident from regularly venturing to a university physical location, considered by some to be an important part of the educational experience.

5. Problems of tests and exams being too easy thereby reducing your learning capability and making you less challenged.

On the other hand, since you're planing to do it in the united states, you should focus more on the conditions that could influence your hiring process in the united states...they include.

Thanks
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by free2ryhme: 4:51pm On Apr 28, 2013
are you asking people who have never taken online course ? if yes then you are asking the wrong people on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by jt2010: 5:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
@crazyman, u response why d online program will not be recognized is best described as total nonsense and shows u know little abt what u are talking abt.

It take serious efforts and time management skill to be an online student. Mind u all student school works like assignments and course works are submitted via turnitin which check that the work are student original work and not stuff copied from d internet. If d turnitin shows more than 30% are copied work. It is automatic F. So tell me how many nigeria university are or can maintain high level of academic standards. Plz alway check ur facts before u put them out in public forum. Op, also check out university of liverpool. They offer well structure online program and ur certificate will not carry any online or distand learning reference.

9 Likes

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by gistme24(m): 5:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
tinnymerit: no not in Niger area,because ur cert will carry distance learning traing/cert.But u can still give it a dive sha.If u know some ogas at the top that can categorically tell u when and how to get job(s) then no 2 things invoved.

No sir, online degrees do not carry any such differentiations. Same way no part time degree bears such a mark.

CrazyMan: Truth is most potential employers in Nigeria don't accept online degree, and if you're presenting it to boost your already acquired regular degree (B.sc, Hnd..etc) it would in no way serve as an added advantage to you on employment basis.

1. Lack of rigor.

Sir, online degree is actually considered to be more difficult because of the level of commitment and dedication needed to complete the course. Most require you spend not less than 30hrs a week teaching lectures. The only difference is that it is at your own time .

Easy? Most certainly not. If it is from a reputable school with the normal campus / student settings, then the only difference is the means of delivery of the lecture, their course content for online and normal student is the same.
Also, employers don't care if its online or not, in as much as you can defend it and prove your worth.
The major issue is your inability to partake in the NYSC

3 Likes

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 28, 2013
jt2010: @crazyman, u response why d online program will not be recognized is best described as total nonsense and shows u know little abt what u are talking abt.

It take serious efforts and time management skill to be an online student. Mind u all student school works like assignments and course works are submitted via turnitin which check the work are student original work and not stuff copied from d internet. If d turnitin shows more than 30% are copied work. It is automatic F. So tell me how many nigeria university are or can maintain high level of academic standards. Plz alway check ur facts before u put them out in public forum. Op, also check out university of liverpool. They offer well structure online program and ur certificate will not carry any online or distand learning reference.

chillax Bro,

he told you the truth, not necessarily what you wanted to hear.

you could have been serious with yours, that doesn't change the fact that majority of the online scholars are committed to it.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by a1solution: 5:39pm On Apr 28, 2013
Offline schools will soon go online.

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 5:43pm On Apr 28, 2013
free2ryhme: are you asking people who have never taken online course ? if yes then you are asking the wrong people on nairaland

I do not agree with you that i am asking the wrong set of people on Nairaland. There are several people with wide range of experience and exposure on this forum. Thanks for your input anyway
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
One thing people don't understand is that online school is the way forward.

No bribing of lecturers or so... u have to be fully dedicated and its time consuming that full time schools here... most of these schools are highly recognised even in Nigeria and u ve no cause for alarm. I am a student of University of London via online studies and nothing distance will be placed on the certificate.

Guys, its time u start learning... if you can bank online, work online, social online.... schooling is not d beginning and wont be the last. I had a teleconference last week on this same issue from UK and I confirmed how recognised it is by Top companies all over the world. If you can defend it, pls go for it.

My advice to Jamb Writers, quit jamb and register with online schools, the education and structure is of higher grade. If u can work along with it, dats d best Cos u gather experience along, which is d Baba..

OP, carry on.

8 Likes

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by 4tunebest(f): 5:52pm On Apr 28, 2013
Thanks JT2012, gistme24, Imanuelle and Ledafaze. Thanks to the moderator(s) for placing this on the frontpage 'cos I really need all the response i can get in order to make an informed decision. Thank you
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by chucky234(m): 6:02pm On Apr 28, 2013
Imanuelle:

chillax Bro,

he told you the truth, not necessarily what you wanted to hear.

you could have been serious with yours, that doesn't change the fact that majority of the online scholars are committed to it.
NO he didn't say the truth
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by Blue360: 6:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
honorsam: For now,Computing and ICT related courses will be worth your while.

Dats it. My cousin sister is on one now . She reserve one room she called her ......lecture hall grin wance she's in she locks the door and no one disturbes her.

........ D important things here are
U have a reliable & fast internet for ur lecture periods ...power supply......... u can buy _i pass my nebo...........
...bro d good is dat on ur cert. Nothin indicates it's a distance leaening [but all some might....]

Im typin wif 2 finger (errors noted)
Gud luck bruv

1 Like

Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
4tunebest: Please I really need to know 'cos 'am thinking of one before the end of this year; I want to know if it would be worth it as it is quite expensive, although the school is in the United States. I would appreciate your contribution.

Yeah! I think its accepted even in the public sector cos my sis dat's a civil servant have 3 diplomas obtained online wit d full backing of her agency! She even got promoted wit aid from the degrees. I'm also planning on running some degrees online but don't know of any in the USA. Kindly post their link here or send to wise_many2k@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by honorsam(m): 6:19pm On Apr 28, 2013
For now,Computing and ICT related courses will be worth your while.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by toptop: 6:54pm On Apr 28, 2013
ledafaze: One thing people don't understand is that online school is the way forward.

No bribing of lecturers or so... u have to be fully dedicated and its time consuming that full time schools here... most of these schools are highly recognised even in Nigeria and u ve no cause for alarm. I am a student of University of London via online studies and nothing distance will be placed on the certificate.

Guys, its time u start learning... if you can bank online, work online, social online.... schooling is not d beginning and wont be the last. I had a teleconference last week on this same issue from UK and I confirmed how recognised it is by Top companies all over the world. If you can defend it, pls go for it.

My advice to Jamb Writers, quit jamb and register with online schools, the education and structure is of higher grade. If u can work along with it, dats d best Cos u gather experience along, which is d Baba..

OP, carry on.
Be aware that university of london distant external studies is not recognised in Nigeria. You can confirm this from the NUC website. The same applies to most of this external internation degree programmes. Please be properly guided.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by CrazyMan(m): 6:57pm On Apr 28, 2013
jt2010: @crazyman, u response why d online program will not be recognized is best described as total nonsense and shows u know little abt what u are talking abt.

It take serious efforts and time management skill to be an online student. Mind u all student school works like assignments and course works are submitted via turnitin which check the work are student original work and not stuff copied from d internet. If d turnitin shows more than 30% are copied work. It is automatic F. So tell me how many nigeria university are or can maintain high level of academic standards. Plz alway check ur facts before u put them out in public forum. Op, also check out university of liverpool. They offer well structure online program and ur certificate will not carry any online or distand learning reference.
Maybe you should take your time to fully absorb a post before hitting on the reply button.

My first paragraph about online degree was based on the Nigerian education system.

You and I know that attaining an online degree in a Nigerian institution is arrant nonsense considering the fact that most regulars can't even defend their certificate.

My second paragraph was an advise to him if he intends to do it abroad like he stated earlier.

If you have problems reading meaning to a post, ask for clarifications, and refrain from jumping into unnecessary conclusions...thanks
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by CrazyMan(m): 7:12pm On Apr 28, 2013
gistme24: Sir, online degree is actually considered to be more difficult because of the level of commitment and dedication needed to complete the course. Most require you spend not less than 30hrs a week teaching lectures. The only difference is that it is at your own time .

Easy? Most certainly not. If it is from a reputable school with the normal campus / student settings, then the only difference is the means of delivery of the lecture, their course content for online and normal student is the same.
Also, employers don't care if its online or not, in as much as you can defend it and prove your worth.
The major issue is your inability to partake in the NYSC
You're also presenting your argument from an international point of view...

@bolded...true.

But employers in Nigeria would care, most especially if your online degree is from a Nigerian institution.
Re: Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers? by vicade(m): 7:16pm On Apr 28, 2013
Online Professional courses such as PMP,PRINCE2 ITIL and many IT courses can be taken online and you can even write the international exam for ITIL in your sitting room via a web proctored exam and I'm sure both of them are recongnized in Nigeria.

In the case of an Online Masters degree,I'm very sure of the University of Leicester Distance Learning Program which is online. Pls note Uni of Leicester is not a low ranking university like sheffield hallam or middlesex. Uni of Leicester also DOESN'T write distance learning on any of their Masters Degree certificate. The certificate you get for their masters online is the same as the one you get if you decide to travel to the UK instead.Their certificate is also recognized in naija and no one will ever know you did it online unless you tell them.

Hope you find this helpful.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Career Options For A Lawyer Migrating From Nigeria To Canada? / Work From Home Wahala / I Have Been Sacked But I Have N1.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.