Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here - Travel (255) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here (426463 Views)

US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Dekonjay(f): 9:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
cute2014: Also to the preceeding lists,u may want to add:

Bottled groundnuts,Semolina,pap,snail(fried),hair attachments like Expressions,and Medicines like antimalarials and broad spectrum antibiotics.Also Robb and/or Aboniki balm.

For those with kids:Their backpack should contain cereals(dried),powdered milk,bread(toast) with a spread,bowl,apples,cookies (u'll get hot water in the plane)and a jacket.This is necessary if the airline serves an unfamiliar food.I can just imagine the twins when they eat,whatever they've eaten and no matter how late they must still step down with Golden morn cereal.Lol!

Also; u may want to do both ur natioanl drivers' licence and the int'l driver's licence as it depends on the state u are going to.LEARN HOW TO DRIVE BEFORE TRAVELLING!!!

As for graduate school;u need to do ur transcripts,some did via WES,don't av much details as it does not apply to me.

For women; Learn how to make hair.I am taking 1-2hrs on days I'm not on call to do this as my almost 6years' old girl is so fashion conscious when it comes to hair so I nd to be able to keep up wt her and also save money.

Also don't run down ur electronic gadgets' battery down,sm1 mentioned ds but do not know why.

Yes,ur passports AND medicals MUST be in ur handbag!!!

Most impt advice I got was to save and never try to borrow,except for Mortgage as an example.Live within your budget!!!

Thanks dear especially for the tips concerning children. You couldn't have said it better. I would also suggest parents take along books, pencils, crayons or light toys, that won't be a problem at security check, to keep their little ones occupied as children tend to get bored easily.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by marymary14(f): 10:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
SPTC Is stop over paid by carrier. It usually comes to play if you have a stopover ranging from 8hours and above and also there's no connecting flight for about 8 hours.. it's usually free but done at the airline's discretion.. your welfare is usually catered for most of the time though...
Adeboy007:

well said, fortunately, am heading to Dallas wit Qatar airline and wit 2 stop over from Doha (2;15mins) and Frankfurt (3 hours).. pls may i ask what SPTC is? and is it free or additional charges included ?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 11:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ndeedee:

@Adeboy007

Just popped in to check on you man. Congrats on the Visa and the opportunity to pursue a new chapter in your life.
You sabi tell story well well....Yours was one of the most detailed experiences.... See as emotions dey hold me while I was reading your story even though I knew the outcome already.... I was LMBO @ the part where you said you made a gesture that you were searching for the pic and said you didn't bring it with you.

You should think about the prospects of writing novels in future... grin

Once again congrats bro.

Thanks man, its just God oo ..... its been a while, am sure u are doing good too
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 11:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
marymary14: SPTC Is stop over paid by carrier. It usually comes to play if you have a stopover ranging from 8hours and above and also there's no connecting flight for about 8 hours.. it's usually free but done at the airline's discretion.. your welfare is usually catered for most of the time though...

Noted .... thanks a bunch
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by jejelady(f): 3:29am On Sep 10, 2014
Dekonjay:

I think we can carry indomie cause it's packaged and the spices are dry. I'm not sure about Maggi or Knorr cubes

from experience, chicken noodles get trashed at the point of entry.

Is anyone (single) or a family of three heading to dallas and needs accomodation? There is a 1 br/1ba affordable and suitable for a 3- member family available by sept 30th. Can't keep it after that. And a space is available for a single guy in another apartment. Will be sharing the apartment with another guy. Please PM asap. Adeboy, please can u help convey this message on the BBM group too?

4 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by jejelady(f): 3:59am On Sep 10, 2014
I am thinking of opening a thread on the travel section: "Let's talk about job and accomodation in the USA here". The objective of this thread is to post jobs and apartments vacancies; we never can tell maybe someone among us need a roomie, a job that fits thw experience,etc. This will not only benefit the DV section nairalanders but any nairalander in the USA. We never could tell how much it would help. since i have a lot of ppl asking for roomies, i can post it here and if you have accomodation or job posting/ issues, then u can also post it on this thread. If welcome, i will do my part, i will do my best to visit and update the thread at least once a day. Please what r ur opinions? I don't want to open the thread and it gets moved or deleted... So Justwise, please approve.

6 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by roodboy: 4:12am On Sep 10, 2014
@ Adeoye Tolulope: im so sorry for late response, im so busy ni but ve response to ur email...thanx 4 ur understand...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by felixfelix: 7:42am On Sep 10, 2014
jejelady: I am thinking of opening a thread on the travel section: "Let's talk about job and accomodation in the USA here". The objective of this thread is to post jobs and apartments vacancies; we never can tell maybe someone among us need a roomie, a job that fits thw experience,etc. This will not only benefit the DV section nairalanders but any nairalander in the USA. We never could tell how much it would help. since i have a lot of ppl asking for roomies, i can post it here and if you have accomodation or job posting/ issues, then u can also post it on this thread. If welcome, i will do my part, i will do my best to visit and update the thread at least once a day. Please what r ur opinions? I don't want to open the thread and it gets moved or deleted... So Justwise, please approve.
What a great and undebateble idea. God is ever at work here I'm not surprised. @Bee God bless u continually. We count it priviledged to hear this and d4 accept it with gratitude.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 8:12am On Sep 10, 2014
jejelady:

from experience, chicken noodles get trashed at the point of entry.

Is anyone (single) or a family of three heading to dallas and needs accomodation? There is a 1 br/1ba affordable and suitable for a 3- member family available by sept 30th. Can't keep it after that. And a space is available for a single guy in another apartment. Will be sharing the apartment with another guy. Please PM asap. Adeboy, please can u help convey this message on the BBM group too?

Copy dat,

I av done as u requested.. thanks so much
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2014
jejelady: I am thinking of opening a thread on the travel section: "Let's talk about job and accomodation in the USA here". The objective of this thread is to post jobs and apartments vacancies; we never can tell maybe someone among us need a roomie, a job that fits thw experience,etc. This will not only benefit the DV section nairalanders but any nairalander in the USA. We never could tell how much it would help. since i have a lot of ppl asking for roomies, i can post it here and if you have accomodation or job posting/ issues, then u can also post it on this thread. If welcome, i will do my part, i will do my best to visit and update the thread at least once a day. Please what r ur opinions? I don't want to open the thread and it gets moved or deleted... So Justwise, please approve.

Good one ma lady, Am very sue you av created such thread before but due to the resent Catastrophe that lead some thread to get rid off ... Nevertheless am very sure Justwise is aware of the thread then and the house will highly appreciate the existence of such thread.

thank you so much Ma.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by marymary14(f): 8:31am On Sep 10, 2014
Hi Adeboy007, just found out there's a BBM group chat. How do I get the pin?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Lakeside4christ(m): 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
marymary14: Hi Adeboy007, just found out there's a BBM group chat. How do I get the pin?

it is easy, jst let our amiable prince of d nairaland(007) get ur pin and he will add you up to d group.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
marymary14: Due to recent threat in terrorism,the United States has put up some measures to curb it, thus they'll require every traveller to power up electronic devices eg: phones,laptops and all other devices they require.. failure to do so will result in confiscation of gadgets or deportation... as for the medication @cute2014 do we not require some form of prescription?

Unfortunately,I can't answer the prescription part as its not ethical.Ideally one shd know what u are treating before u take the medicines.But buying broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin/Clavulanic and Cefuroxime in a reputable p'cy should not be a problem.Antimalarials are like pure water here,so treat urself b4 u travel o.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 8:54am On Sep 10, 2014
Dekonjay:

Lwkmd. Cutie 2014 na serious planning o. After waiting 15 months for interview, I wan live my American dream fast fast o. I started planning as soon as we received 2nd NL. Checked for ticket and have been eyeing that date since July as it's the cheapest...luckily the price remained the same. I was even ready to start packing our stuff in August grin grin grin....How are preparations on your end? Just discovered you are a doctor. Good for you! You have got quite a challenge ahead as regards practising in the states....you have to sit for some exams I imagine if you didn't study in the states..
I'm not flying from Naija so it's easier for me and cheaper to do BA...

Yes,I now understand u now as per the BA.And I know about the exams,I trained in Nigeria.I'm already on it,its a daunting task,esp with kids but not insurmountable.I went to write Plab in the UK,even got registered with the GMC but just didn't practise there as I've always wanted US.By His grace I'm going to give it my all and leave the rest to HIM.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by worry359(m): 9:01am On Sep 10, 2014
cute2014:

Unfortunately,I can't answer the prescription part as its not ethical.Ideally one shd know what u are treating before u take the medicines.But buying broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin/Clavulanic and Cefuroxime in a reputable p'cy should not be a problem.Antimalarials are like pure water here,so treat urself b4 u travel o.
If you have a "reasonable" quantity of medicine in your hand luggage and can explain what it is for you should be ok.
Problems start with people having very large quantities of unknown medicine.
If you know the name of the medicine look up on Google for information on taking it into USA.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by DobraDobra: 9:27am On Sep 10, 2014
Guys congratulations to every one may d joy never stop just to chip in a word or advice I will recommend people travel light ie just go by d 23kg of d airline especially for people that are still going to put up with strangers it will not be wise to fill up dia homes with ur luggage and at d end of d day u won't use all d cloths u have dia and moreover America is about moving around u never can tell when next u are moving and to what part. Cloths don't get dirty easily and better if we have money and buy things as need arise coss u will still need a lot of it to do almost everything. Reasonable number of medication is ok but not d quantity as if one is going to open a store to sell . Please do remember ur agbo jedi too(herbs tree back) u will sure need it I noticed no one talks about dis. D most importantly don't let us breakrules no driving if u are not suppose to we don't need to start with a criminal record. It will be lonely some times so don't forget home communicate bak with which ever way possible. Its d dawn of a new day enjoy d new status.

2 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by shaddy78: 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hey Adeboy. Landed safely In Baltimore. I will connect to d group as soon as I connect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 3:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
worry359:
If you have a "reasonable" quantity of medicine in your hand luggage and can explain what it is for you should be ok.
Problems start with people having very large quantities of unknown medicine.
If you know the name of the medicine look up on Google for information on taking it into USA.

Yes,u are very right.Besides,u are supposed to use your antimalarials here before leaving.As for ur antibiotics,I'll suggest u shd be very resonable.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 3:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
DobraDobra: Guys congratulations to every one may d joy never stop just to chip in a word or advice I will recommend people travel light ie just go by d 23kg of d airline especially for people that are still going to put up with strangers it will not be wise to fill up dia homes with ur luggage and at d end of d day u won't use all d cloths u have dia and moreover America is about moving around u never can tell when next u are moving and to what part. Cloths don't get dirty easily and better if we have money and buy things as need arise coss u will still need a lot of it to do almost everything. Reasonable number of medication is ok but not d quantity as if one is going to open a store to sell . Please do remember ur agbo jedi too(herbs tree back) u will sure need it I noticed no one talks about dis. D most importantly don't let us breakrules no driving if u are not suppose to we don't need to start with a criminal record. It will be lonely some times so don't forget home communicate bak with which ever way possible. Its d dawn of a new day enjoy d new status.

Thanks for the advice.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 3:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
shaddy78: Hey Adeboy. Landed safely In Baltimore. I will connect to d group as soon as I connect.

Congrats.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by jejelady(f): 4:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
Thanks all... Thread created but i am using my phone.... I am not sure if i can copy and paste the link here but let's try this:

https://www.nairaland.com/1896818/lets-discuss-job-career-apartment
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by marymary14(f): 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2014
[ok, thanks. quote author=Lakeside4christ]

it is easy, jst let our amiable prince of d nairaland(007) get ur pin and he will add you up to d group.[/quote]
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by rasky4real: 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
Is there any house member in connecticut or going there?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
marymary14: Hi Adeboy007, just found out there's a BBM group chat. How do I get the pin?

I just pm you now, u can reply me wit ur pin in my email box .. thanks
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Adeboy007(m): 9:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
shaddy78: Hey Adeboy. Landed safely In Baltimore. I will connect to d group as soon as I connect.

Good to hear dat thank God for journey mercy
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by jejelady(f): 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
Justwise, please kindly delete that my thread you moved to jobs section. I don't think i can follow that pace. If you can't afford to keep it in the Travel Section, then please delete it. It does not worth it. Thanks.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by roodboy: 12:04am On Sep 11, 2014
jejelady: Justwise, please kindly delete that my thread you moved to jobs section. I don't think i can follow that pace. If you can't afford to keep it in the Travel Section, then please delete it. It does not worth it. Thanks.

Gbam!!! I thinks so too...if he can't move it to travel section, den delete it finally, infact delete it totally sef...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by roodboy: 12:09am On Sep 11, 2014
What's sup house?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by chuckvinz(m): 12:44am On Sep 11, 2014
Hello house, its been long i visit this site since i posted my interview chat... Best of luck to all dv winners... Will be heading jetting out on Monday.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Lakeside4christ(m): 10:45am On Sep 11, 2014

Congratulation on ur journey mercy.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Ndeedee: 11:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Adeboy007:

Thanks man, its just God oo ..... its been a while, am sure u are doing good too

Yeah bro...I'm waiting to see how the guys here will handle ours for DV 2015 prolly in March/April next yr...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by worry359(m): 11:46am On Sep 11, 2014
Ndeedee:

Yeah bro...I'm waiting to see how the guys here will handle ours for DV 2015 prolly in March next yr...
You should know that there is NO DV for 2015 or any time in the future. (Too many Nigerians and the quota is full.)
DV 2014 will finish at the end of this September, all outstanding applications will close and be scrapped.

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (264) (Reply)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.