Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,650 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (10081 Views)

15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by GboyegaD(m): 3:59pm On May 02, 2013
I don't see anything wrong in telling them though because it helps them appreciate why they can't have somethings they would have loved to. For instance, we all knew what date they paid my dad and how much it was and also my num's contribution at the end of each month and I think it was a good guide for me whenever i made my request although some of my siblings almost abused the privilege.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On May 02, 2013
GboyegaD: I don't see anything wrong in telling them though because it helps them appreciate why they can't have somethings they would have loved to. For instance, we all knew what date they paid my dad and how much it was and also my num's contribution at the end of each month and I think it was a good guide for me whenever i made my request although some of my siblings almost abused the privilege.

How about for parents earning so much money . . .
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by badmeat(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2013
Will rather teach them how to earn,than to let them know hw much I earn
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On May 02, 2013
bad meat: Will rather teach them how to earn,than to let them know hw much I earn

Nicely said . .
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by pekelepekele(m): 4:11pm On May 02, 2013
Tell your kids the amount you earn as salary and expect them to take you as their enemy for life if you fail to give them whatever they task you for and that is if your salary is huge but if your salary is not that much you better don't tell them if you don't want to start hearing words like I don't want to be like daddy when I grow up.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by alosnika: 4:20pm On May 02, 2013
Why would you tell your children how much you earn!!! Then tell them when you wan sleep with their mama now. Infact, give them the salary when you receive it at the end of the month and let them give you your share...infact start reporting to your children.

Sometimes people dont understand their roles as parents. Your roles and obligations as good parents have nothing to do with disclosure of certain information which could eventually destroy your family if care isnt taken. Certain information are better kept between husband and wife.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 02, 2013
Kids already have an idea what their parents worth because of their way of living compared to other less privileged kids. When they ask and it shall be provided without an hitch smiley

Telling them the amount is not that relevant ( even to them) IMO they already know. ;
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by amaziingabbey: 4:25pm On May 02, 2013
it depends if they want to or not undecided[/color][color=#990000][color=#006600][/color]
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On May 02, 2013
amaziingabbey: it depends if they want to or not undecided[/color][color=#990000][color=#006600][/color]

So your 5 year old wanna know how much you earn, you will tell that 5 year old?
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 02, 2013
What are kids supposed to do with that information?

It will be very irresponsible of any parent to tell the children what they earn or don't earn.
That is an adult discussion
The job of a child is to be a child and not to hear your money woes if you have one or hear about your millions and billions.

My husband and I make a conscious effort not to discuss finances in front of the kids
If they make a demand,a simple no or not at this time or wait till next month should be enough
I don't have to bring out my pay stub and log into my bank account to prove to them I don't have money to meet their demands at that time neither do I have to rave about the millions sitting in our account and how we are better than the neighbors across the railway tracks.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 02, 2013
alosnika: Why would you tell your children how much you earn!!! Then tell them when you wan sleep with their mama now. Infact, give them the salary when you receive it at the end of the month and let them give you your share...infact start reporting to your children.

Sometimes people dont understand their roles as parents. Your roles and obligations as good parents have nothing to do with disclosure of certain information which could eventually destroy your family if care isnt taken. Certain information are better kept between husband and wife.

Thank God there are some reasonable people here
Some of the commentaries I read are so juvenile.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 02, 2013
jidegirl12: Kids already have an idea what their parents worth because of their way of living compared to other less privileged kids. When they ask and it shall be provided without an hitch smiley

Telling them the amount is not that relevant ( even to them) IMO they already know. ;

Yes
They also wonder how they were conceived so when they ask,both of you should put up a live ikwokirikwo show to show them

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On May 02, 2013
nwando: What are kids supposed to do with that information?

It will be very irresponsible of any parent to tell the children what they earn or don't earn.
The job of a child is to be a child and not to hear your money woes if you have one or hear about your millions and billions.

My husband and I make a conscious effort not to discuss finances in front of the kids
If they make a demand,a simple no or not at this time or wait till next month should be enough
I don't have to bring out my pay stub and log into my bank account to prove to them I don't have money to meet their demands at that time neither do I have to rave about the millions sitting in our account and how we are better than the neighbors across the railway tracks.

I am not sure that is the right word, i would probably use the word irrelevant instead of irresponsible . .
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Lilimax(f): 4:57pm On May 02, 2013
nwando:

Yes
They also wonder how they were conceived so when they ask,both of you should put up a live ikwokirikwo show to show them

cheesy cheesy cheesy @ bolded na wao!

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 02, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I am not sure that is the right word, i would probably use the word irrelevant instead of irresponsible . .

Let me then modify it to say it will be irrelevant and irresponsible.

Irresponsible because growing children can go off so many directions with an information like that
Haven't you heard of kids that planned and murdered their parents?
Usually kids raised in affluence who were aware of it and had it at the center
smart parents live below their means sometimes for the sake of the children
Look around you,many children from very affluent homes end up as useless adults and failures
This is one of the causes,they know the money is there ,it is thrown at them ,so they figure ,they don't have to work hard

Same way a child from parents who hears their parents fight over money constantly and argue over money will grow up with a baggage too,some thinking they are the cause of their parent's poverty.A child shouldn't grow up with some burden
Children should be spared certain things.
Something's are meant for the adults to handle so kids can be kids

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by poshqueen(f): 5:03pm On May 02, 2013
Original gucci kicks in general,louis vuitton,hermes,bally,timbaland,latest jerseys,watches,polos ETC add dopemenwears 2807E92E ...

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 5:03pm On May 02, 2013
nwando:

Let me then modify it o say it will be irrelevant and irresponsible.

Irresponsible because growing children can go off so many directions with an information like that
H[b]aven't you heard of kids that planned and murdered their parents?[/b]
Usually kids raised in affluence who were aware of it and had it at the center
Same way a child from para rents who hears their parents fight over money constantly will grow up with a baggage too
Children should be spared certain things.

I think the killing is for the will and inheritance and not necessarily cos of how much the parents are making . . . I will say it is not smart to show will to kids, but as per my income, it all depends on how old the kid is
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 02, 2013
nwando:

Yes

That I've been dodging until whenever I'm done with these parenting books.( how to raise a girl)

Duh
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 02, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I think the killing is for the will and inheritance and not necessarily cos of how much the parents are making . . . I will say it is not smart to show will to kids, but as per my income, it all depends on how old the kid is

Will bawo? Even peer pressure can make them do the unthinkable.

May God help us All.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 5:08pm On May 02, 2013
jidegirl12:

Will bawo? Even peer pressure can make them do the unthinkable.

May God help us All.

Yes, peer pressure is a lot of trouble, but sometimes, depends on how we raise dem kids too, like someone said, he will rather teach them how to make money than discuss their salary with their kids, but you think the kids dont know your worth? and if they wanna do bad, you think u not telling them will stop it?
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 02, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I happen to be a parent
So I am speaking from that angle
Let me ask you one question
Did your parents ever tell you their salary?
I can bet you they didn't,mine didn't tell me either
Even when you heard your daddy got a promotion and then a company or government car with driver came with it,,that is probably all you heard and saw,they never told you how much the pay became

That is What good parents should do

Adult children with their own children is a different ball game
My parents are older and retired now and they can tell us those things now about what they earned back then and what they have in their accounts
They need to make a will anyway so all their children need to know what they have
Such information is not necessary with growing children or unmarried children in the house
What for?

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by biolabee(m): 5:11pm On May 02, 2013
jhydebaba: Say wetin happen now
U for ask me to tell dem when I wan sleep wit their mama. angry

LMAO>>>> badosky

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 5:13pm On May 02, 2013
nwando:

I happen to be a parent
So I am speaking from that angle
Let me ask you
Did your parents tell you their salary?
I can bet you they didn't

Even when you heard your daddy got a promotion,that is probably all you heard them say,they never told you how much the pay became
That is What a good parent should do

My parents are older and retired now and they can tell us those things now about what they earned and what they have in their accounts
They need to make a will anyway so all their children need to know what they have
Such information is not necessary with growing children or nmarried children in the house
What for?

How may parents raised their kids is surely not how i am raising mine, cos it is different environment and situations . . like how adults always wanna make sure kids are not heard, is that how it is NOW? nope . . but at the end of the day, we all know our kids and knows what info they can handle and the ones they cant.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On May 02, 2013
nwando:
My parents are older and retired now and they can tell us those things now about what they earned and what they have in their accounts
Such information is not necessary with growing children or nmarried children in the house
What for?

Lemme ask u from a different angle, when your child is like 18 (Adult Age) you would share some information with that child, or to you, it is still irresponsible to do so?
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by biolabee(m): 5:16pm On May 02, 2013
bad meat: Will rather teach them how to earn,than to let them know hw much I earn

Nice one brah!

alosnika: Why would you tell your children how much you earn!!! Then tell them when you wan sleep with their mama now. Infact, give them the salary when you receive it at the end of the month and let them give you your share...infact start reporting to your children.

Good points! unnecessary information
Some couples are even struggling at this level and you want to compound it by telling kids who will tell their friends
Some kids already use My daddy is a manager, your own na gateman to oppress each other then na this kain one u wan add

SMH...
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by biolabee(m): 5:19pm On May 02, 2013
nwando: What are kids supposed to do with that information?

GBAM!!

Its the prevalence of neo modernistic parenting where parents see themselves not as authority figures but hand holders
A child is throwing a tantrum - try to explain
A child is bullying her chlass mates - try to explain

basically setting no boundaries
Life coach your kids through life bla bla bla
crap
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by chilman(m): 5:20pm On May 02, 2013
Na 2ru u talk dear is nt everytin u wil let ur kids knw bcus they are nt matured enough to handle sometins u can try to tel the matured ones wt a serious warning nt to tel any body.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 02, 2013
Fhemmmy:

How may parents raised their kids is surely not how i am raising mine, cos it is different environment and situations . . like how adults always wanna make sure kids are not heard, is that how it is NOW? nope . . but at the end of the day, we all know our kids and knows what info they can handle and the ones they cant.

You are correct about that but there are some standard rules that don't fail and it is good to learn from the experience of others.
There are certainly many good things in our culture that ought to be upheld,it is not all bad.
There are Nigerian parents out here in the West that come over and forget our way of doing things and end up with wild uncontrollable children
I don't believe in caging kids but there is a certain control a parent must institute to keep children in check at those growing years
Many parents have paid dearly for it .

I have heard people say,you don't spank kids in America,you allow them to be themselves
I hear some Nigerians say I am friends and buddies with my kids blah blah blah
No way!
I am primarily your parent not your friend and there is no mistaking what our roles are.

Well some people have spared the rod in the name of equal rights ,kids are and the kids are now in the penitentiary being spanked by the state.

We only have one chance and one opportunity to raise kids
At least that is my philosophy
If we fail to correct them,the state penitentiary will take over and the same people who say reason with your children,don't spank,allow them do as they wish etc would call you an unfit parent because your kids are delinquents .

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by yuzedo: 5:23pm On May 02, 2013
Smartie gurl: Hell No!! As a teenager he/she might start being too demandable thinking you got nothing else to do with your money.........take me for example......if am told how much ma parents make in a month, i will kinda start asking frequently for needs that aint really important and when refused to be given by my parents might attract a negetive impact on me........without knowing that some important things needs to be done with money, thereby making me think that they are selfish.........so Hell No, is not a good idea.
OGHENEdemandable!!! grin grin grin grin sweerie, we needs to corret dis plakaricated negetive englishe grammarrrrrr. soooo wuz yo numba?? wink wink
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh: Hello everyone,

I was going through facebook few minutes ago when I saw this on WYSE ON TOP RADIO wall.
His question was " should parents tell their kids how much they earn"

In my opinion, most times I feel its necessary children know how much their parents earn so that they would grow to be appreciative and wise in their spending.
But the other way round, when some kids know how much their parents are worth. They tend to be wasteful and irresponsible.

Pls, I would like to get a varied opinion on this subject.

Thanks in anticipationcheesy cheesy

But maka why?
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 02, 2013
I sincerely appreciate the comments so far.
Rily cool having different opinions and some constructive criticisms so far
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 02, 2013
mekula:

But maka why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Animals That Have Gone Extinct In Our Lifetime / Which Other Food Can I Introduce To My Baby Of 10 Mths Apart From Indomie? / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.