Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland - Nairaland / General (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland (21983 Views)

Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data / Nairalands New Rules And Regulations, Your Take? / Golden Rules Of Life To Be Considered In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Go Down)

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by OCTAVO: 10:23am On May 09, 2013
Ijawboi: Me thinks seun is a member of boko haram and he want to islamize nairaland
Oh yeah!
Probably those devils have recruited him.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by naptu2: 10:25am On May 09, 2013
Mustay:

The points I agree with you here are highlighted!

For those who had been on NL at the seed stage, they would understand why the section "Islam for Muslims" was even created.

I have also avoided going to such sections for even in politics too, both sides enjoying bashing others' religion + tribes.

Davidylan would be reading this - his posts circa 2007 till date are & were all about attacking anything Islam. Eventually, such threads end up being detailed denying those who want(ed) to have sincere discussions the opportunity to do so. Even here, you already see posters saying they know Seun has received threats from the "violent ones", haramists and such unsavoury terms.

Sincerely, I would advise the religion section be closed. Moderating this forum to check against bigotry is necessary. People want freedom without responsibilities and respect to others. The major problem of the internet is being anonymous + weak controls.

Until a strong framework is designed for religion to be discussed, close it!

+100

The whole thing started because of Davidylan vs Olabowale. I think we should go back to Seun's initial decision and ban all discussions of religion/atheism on the forum.

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by siobahn: 10:25am On May 09, 2013
Seun, are you a muslim or Christian and what are you afraid of?? Anyway, i noticed the controversial No.17 is hidden, you berra keep it that way. I also hate No.21, it takes the fun away. Now i'm beginning to hate nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by RedLight1: 10:26am On May 09, 2013
sayso: Seun Clear suggestion,
why not close the Religion section?
Every body should go to his or her abode and pray.
nope they cant close that section .... personally have learnt a lot of things on that thread and people's ability to express themselves, especially from atheists.... but i think the best gesture will be to include the christians

17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam and christianity, especially in the muslim religion section.

remove the goddamn islamic section that non muslim can't participate in ... or better still create a section for both muslims and christians... put same strict rule ... then leave religion section for everyone to express their views ... that should do justice to that

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:26am On May 09, 2013
carr96:

And?
And you will miss having fun on NL until you become miserable and beg us to unban you.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Hackomania(m): 10:26am On May 09, 2013
@SuperAdmin Seun, so far, the rules are necessary, but I must comment on a few...

Looks like number 17 has been out-rightly removed. I would have preferred it were modified though, to suit all religions. That's by-the-way.
Rule 14, IMO, is the most violated rule on NL, I wonder how this can be enforced...
and finally, the last clause of Rule 19, I love it grin

Regards,
H
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:27am On May 09, 2013
Pipsland78: I dont blame Seun, he has been threatened by some extremists. Here it is:
How it all started.

http://naijatechtalk./2008/02/06/re-why-seun-may-forbid-the-discussion-of-islam-on-nairaland/

But Seun should have extended it to all religions, not only Islam.

lol, so I guess we christians should threaten seun too? grin
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Vado(m): 10:27am On May 09, 2013
Abuja4sale: Dear All,
I want to appeal to All especially the Christians to exercise patience with Seun Osewa on Rule 17; (17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam, especially in the muslim section). I came from a muslim background and one of the major discrepancy between Christianity and Islam is that the former is founded on this "Followers are not to assist their God as He is too powerful to need human assistant" while the later believed "Followers are encourage to fight in order to defend their God"

So with the above analyzes, there is no writing, painting or cartooning of Jesus in any kinds can never provoke a genuine. christian, because his foundation is rooted in 'my God will fight for Himself' but for my beloved Muslims; the reverse is the case. Again, I have never seen a genuine Muslim in support of what Boko Harams are doing to our nation. As majority in my family are muslims and we live in togetherness as one.

So with this understanding, we should love our muslims brethren and abide with Rule 17. This I believed is one of the sacrifices we (Nairalanders) must lived with in order to make our nation the better place in the world. Let us abide and respect the 'weakness' of other religion in the above Rule 17.

Please note; this is my personal opinion. May the genuine love of God reign forever in our hearts.

FOH Dude.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:30am On May 09, 2013
Is it only English that's spoken/written in Nigeria? So you mean to tell me that if I decide to write mainly in pidgin English or my native tongue, my comments ain’t welcomed here?

Another ridiculous rule and I think you need to get a grip…not everyone can speak/write English eloquently; hence, you make amends when such is encountered……

Seun: 21. Please post in proper English and spell your words correctly.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 10:31am On May 09, 2013
I would like to correct some misconceptions.

Most moderators don't support rule 17. We had an extensive debate during which most of them opposed it but were not able to convince me that we could remove or generalize the rule without exposing the forum to a security risk or reducing your freedom of speech.

Also, I am not a muslim. I am not even pro-muslim. This rule was created to save Christian lives and not to benefit muslims.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:31am On May 09, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:32am On May 09, 2013
re – why Seun may forbid the
discussion of islam
on Nairaland
The good and bad thing about the
internet is that a user can just be
anybody, anytime and anywhere. This
‘user’ can decide to be a ‘he’, ‘she’ or
whatever, since no one sees the typist
behind the computer screen. The
internet is definitely the definition of
the freedom of speech.
As the premier, prime-time, first and
foremost online meeting place for
Nigerians all around the world,
‘Nairaland‘ is not a stranger to the
average internet user – especially in
Nigeria. Discussions on various issues
all litter the place and its really a
Nairaland. I myself just manage to
keep up, catch up and read through
various discussions etc., and at the
end of it all, i’m still far away from the
latest gists while I burst into mode:
laugh, at least to make my day.
The latest discussion, one that I read
and which bugged my head is from
Mr. Nairaland himself, titled: Why I
may forbid the discussion of Islam on
Nairaland. The question soon crossed
my mind whether our brother Seun
would be needing a body guard. I
believe it hasn’t come to this yet, but
maybe………
Looks as if he received some emails
that stung and so he had to speak out,
at least for his own safety and for the
information of all:
On one hand, we have the popular
and cantankerous Christians that take
delight in speaking against Islam and
will continue to do so even though I
keep banning them. On the other
hand, we have muslims who believe I
am personally culpable even though I
did not make those posts because I
am the only person whose name is
associated with this website.
I am not willing to bear the risk of
"fatwa", so by the end of this week it
will be an offense to talk about Islam
on Nairaland. I do not have the time
to go through your posts one by one.
Even if I had the time, how would I
know what is offensive and what is
not offensive to these people? I’m not
a Muslim (neither am I a Christian) so
I cannot judge what is offensive (or
not).
That is why it will soon be a terminal
offense to talk about Islam on
Nairaland. Thanks for understanding.
Quote from: Usman Muhammad
A advice for you
I really appreciate your dedication and
skills in designing this website. I write
not to praise your exceptional skills
but to advice you on just one thing
that will inevitable come to you. By
birth a Muslim is emotionally reactive
to his religion, Nigeria Muslim on the
other hand are slightly explosive to
any thing they consider blasphemy to
Islam and our noble Prophet.
Seun, I respectably urge you to have
firm control of your web site. The
forum under religion is embodied
with lots of abusive, offensive and
incisive phrase against Islam. Phrase
that is capable of igniting a serious
tension and a threat to your own life. I
am a Muslim, a moderate Muslim you
may say, but I can tell the reaction
and counter reaction of an extremist
who can easily be offended by
contents of your web site. The authors
may not be known, but you as the
founder, would be easily branded as
an abettor and a party to the offence.
What I am saying in effect is that, you
should edit, delete and choose topics
posted on the forum you consider
offensive. Imagine phrase calling
Prophet Muhammad “evil” “stupid”.
No! No!! No!!! Osewa, you should act
quickly, or else one day, a fatwa
would be issued for you, and then
you will be a celebrity under serious
police protection. Then you can as
well spend your [salary] undercover.
These guys that post this thing are
trying to destroy what you have
suffered to build.
Quote from: Seun Osewa
Hello Muhammad,
Why not mention the specific threads
you want me to remove? How am I to
know which threads you find offensive
if you do not name them one by one
so I can remove them?
Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Its not a new story that Nigerians are
willing to go any length when it comes
to religion. From North to South, the
testimonies abound.
I remember, before, I enjoyed reading
through any religious headed post I
saw, but for some time now, I can say
I have abstained. I have abstained
because some people just say
anything under the sun to back up
their own idea/s(right or wrong) to
crucify whoever/whatever they wish to
speak against. I’m like, God must be a
very patient God. If left to these trash-
talkers alone, a few slaps on their
faces would definitely allow us to
know who has said what on
Nairaland. abi?
I believe that everybody has a right to
his own opinion, and isn’t it right
enough that people learn to respect
the opinion of others while they stick
to their own? Its not by force to
accept your opinion, but why
condemn me – why condemn my
person?
The bashing, insults etc., kinda spoil
the whole religious soup on
Nairaland, and its a pity - if these
talkers are the youth on which the
reins of Nigeria’s future hangs. Some
of them might end up becoming
religious ministers themselves, yet
they can’t see where the lines of right
and wrong are crossed – especially in
matters of words and thought.
There is a difference between trying to
convince and trying to condemn.
Majority of Nairaland talkers, especially
on religious issues(between
Christianity and the Muslim faith) is
condemnation back and forth. This
same picture cuts across to the
political circle. If we can’t agree up to
a point on the religious bend, how
much more politics.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Agbgift(f): 10:32am On May 09, 2013
Abeg hide that rule 21 too.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:32am On May 09, 2013
voice your opinion here on twitter boycottnairaland @boycottnairalan occupy nairaland on twitter untill change is made.
Donmichaelz: Dear seun,

Seun,or what so ever your names maybe,are u highs?did u smokes Tobacco,marijuanas,tombolo,alomo and etc?i am a christians,i laughs,plays and chating silly,but dat 1 nö mean say i nö respect ma faith...if anybody i repeat äny bodys insult CHRIST,CHRISTIANS..... smiley smiley am a man of little word seùn

yours CRITISISM
former nairalander.
you're one of those who discredit the christian faith...its a shame pple think one is a christian just because he goes to church or obeys some rules.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:33am On May 09, 2013
freechat: .
So people have started protesting on the streets..waooo
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:33am On May 09, 2013
Here we go again...for your own interest, I think it's best you stop making excuses.....
Seun: I would like to correct some misconceptions.

Most moderators don't support rule 17. We had an extensive debate during which most of them opposed it but were not able to convince me that we could remove or generalize the rule without exposing the forum to a security risk or reducing your freedom of speech.

Also, I am not a muslim. I am not even pro-muslim. This rule was created to save Christian lives and not to benefit muslims.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:34am On May 09, 2013

undecided
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:34am On May 09, 2013
Seun:

please do take it off already, we have heard you!
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by email1(m): 10:34am On May 09, 2013
First of all, you have denied Christians the opportunity to have their own space just like 'Islam for Muslims' (even though they have been requesting for it), now its rule 17? Really? Common, do what's right. Take it down or include all religions. We don't need to be biased.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by eiete(f): 10:36am On May 09, 2013

Lol! You could have fooled us. If you were trying to 'save Christian lives' as you say, you shouldn't have limited Rule 17 to Muslims only.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by wonlasewonimi: 10:36am On May 09, 2013

You dey fear boko haram? make dem no come blast your keyboard?
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Creamish(f): 10:37am On May 09, 2013

If u stick to ur rule, there will always be chaos . . . If u ammend it, there will be chaos . . . If u delete it, there will be chaos. HOWEVER, if u delete the RELIGION section entirely, ur headache will cease.

Its better dat section is removed so no-one will be hurt for any reason. Nuttn will be written against anyone or any religion. wink

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by mckemsoc(m): 10:38am On May 09, 2013
YOU ALL ARE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME!
Its obvious SEUN isn't going to remove Rule 17 because d only language d World understand & listen to is violent by every means possible. And that's why Islam has been getting all it want around the world by all violent means.

When they tell you Islam will dominate the World, you guys think its a joke? Its happening everyday by every means possible _ through taqqiya, Jihad/terrorism, threats etc and people are yielding to it because of fear of death and distruction, just as Seun has yielded to it too. It will surely continue to happen because they alwz carry out their threat hence out of fear people alwz bow to their demand.

The truth is Seun will never extend the rule to any other Religion because their's no one threatening him unlike d PEACEFUL RELIGION.

So please, let's stop whinning because he isn't changing unless he's compelled. My 2 cent!
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by dare2think: 10:38am On May 09, 2013

Save lives??

What people do outside the forum is not your responsibility. You are not superman that saves lives.

Like someone said, when it comes to religion, you either balance it or not get involved?

Where are the pro-rule 17 mods now? You getting all the stick and no one to back you up?

Exclude it all-together, that some nutter decîdes to take a life is their responsibility and that of the law enforcement.

Never negotiate with terrorists, they are not reasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by eriegua83: 10:39am On May 09, 2013
Who liked this post must be high on some cheap weed.

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Agbgift(f): 10:39am On May 09, 2013

Your excuse is so out of point. Stop complicating issues with it.

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by diarra94(m): 10:39am On May 09, 2013
Seun, i knw there is a reason for this but why dont you explain better.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:40am On May 09, 2013
Mr righteous! What has he said wrong?? Why are u judging him? U pple will just be vexing me on NL
Chibuebem: you're one of those who discredit the christian faith...its a shame pple think one is a christian just because he goes to church or obeys some rules.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Chynx(m): 10:41am On May 09, 2013
Debroslink: 17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam, especially in the muslim section.

How about effecting this rule on all religions especially Christianity? I'm so disappointed in you Seun

No excuse whatsoever can explain why the Christianity part was omitted. This is absurd and unacceptable...period!!!
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by nbright: 10:42am On May 09, 2013
Seun: Many Muslims don't like rule 17.
Didn't/haven't seen any complaint from them.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 10:42am On May 09, 2013
Vote and share your opinion here as regards what you really want:
www.nairaland.com/1284034/should-seun-pardon-unban-all#15640444

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19)

Brain Teaser: Guess The Country Names From The Pictures Below / How Can I Stop Being Soft Hearted As A Guy / Chad Troops In Nigerian Town For Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.