Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,995 members, 7,859,566 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 02:56 PM

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? (36444 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 12, 2013
Does it matter? If Muslims are the ones with proven developmental strides then let them rule in perpetuity. What have Christian leaders been able to do aside make a lot of noise and steal money.

If the trend follow Muslim leaders and they deliver then let them be. We should start seeing beyond our noses and supporting performers, tribe or religion notwithstanding.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by onpoint2: 11:42pm On May 12, 2013
alj harem: As a proper Lagosian born and raised in my father's land, I can categorically tell you that a typical yoruba man is not a bigot neither is he moved by ethnicity or religion. All you even see on nairaland is because of the Igbo bigots and that is about it. Although I am a yoruba muslim ( as most TRUE LAGOS INDIGNES are muslims), it is not religion that drives us but competency which can even turn to oppression at times.

Good luck with your quest but I can assure you that if SW is destabilized, the whole country would feel it.
never telling theirselves the truth for once. You and your fellow tribal bigots like eko ile, eko atlantic, desola, illugun boy, dayokanu et al are always know to tick off the tribal e-wars that has ever happened on nairaland here... Trace back how all the tribal e-war of just the homepage threads we have today started and also follow subsequent ones. If you can tell yourself the truth, you will apparently notice that most yorubas are the ones with tribalism and xenophobia in their DNA.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by kaypumpin2(m): 11:43pm On May 12, 2013
This kind of thread shouldn't be making the front page.Borders on the ridiculous and insane.

What does it matter what religion the governor of a state practices?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Afam4evaIsASlut: 11:43pm On May 12, 2013
payless:

An average Yoruba man knows Obasanjo 8 year rule was a failure.

And this is even though he Started the Telecommunications Revolution in Nigeria, eliminated her debt and made it $0.00, left a surplus of almost $70Billion etc......

These GEJ supporters, real talk, should be rounded up and locked up in a dungeon somewhere just because of their short-sightedness.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by abokine: 11:45pm On May 12, 2013
krendo: The Commercial capital of democratic south should not be the exclusive property of Muslim Politicians!

Fashola we are watching

If you are backing a Muslim we will question whether no christain is qualified

Bola Tinubu - Muslim
Fashola - Muslim
Hamzat - Muslim
And so bloody what, havent they tried for the state?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Afam4evaIsASlut: 11:46pm On May 12, 2013
Who doesnt know that the OP really meant to post:

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian An Igbo as Governor?

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Anniettieufia(m): 11:46pm On May 12, 2013
it's like this lagos ACN is pioneered by muslim, but then, Lagos state is mixed with various religious groups, so i see a party playing loyalty rather than religion.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by AdekunleBalogun: 11:51pm On May 12, 2013
Am a Yoruba guy, from ekiti... My dad is from Ekiti while my mom is from Ogun state. My dad is a muslim and my mom is christian... Am a muslim while my other sibling are also shared btw the two religion, one thing we have learnt over time is that religion is a thing of the mind and it personal. Who ever posted this article only wants to attract popularity and to also test the waters, if truly Yoruba's are not so particular about religion. Well my dear u have fail, becos I will not join anybody to do any harm to my younger ones just because they choose what they want to believe in, neither will I do any harm to my friends becos of religion. It actually good you tried to establish that fact about the yoruba's.... In yoruba land we are thought to respect elders, friends and to tell the truth at all times. Oh les I forget the most supportive friends I have today are actually christians.

5 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 12, 2013
The excerpts below from an online academic source show which of the two religions got to Yorubaland first and why the two religions are able to co-exist within Yoruba consciousness:

By the start of the l9th century, Islam had spread widely in areas under Oyo control, and in the 1840s Christianity arrived, brought by the Saro and the missions. The process accelerated with the imposition of colonial rule, and by the 1952 census more than four-fifths of the population of the Yoruba provinces were said to be either Christian or Muslim (Peel, 1967: 294รณ5)

In the process of diffusion in Yoruba society, Christianity and Islam have themselves been modified. The new religions share organisational similarities with the old cults, and Yoruba rites of passage have been adapted to fit the new beliefs. At the level of doctrine, both Christianity and Islam emphasise elements which are also important in traditional religion, and there are similarities in the ways in which members of all three religious groups view the supernatural and their relations with it.

http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/YorubaT/yt6.html

^^^^^It seems Islam made an inroad into Yorubaland around the 17th century.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by onpoint2: 12:00am On May 13, 2013
Aliyu333: abeg accent na accent many igbos wey no fit differentiate btw R and L...resson instead of lesson,ren instead of learn.led instead of red(mostly ebonyi)..so take that off and be one nigeria or is SOYINKA ENGLISH ODUDUWA-ACCENTED??
misguided and ill-informed fellow! The only people that confuse the 'R' to 'L' and vice versa are only anambra people throughout the SE. This goes a long way to show that most of the things you hear about SE/SS states are hoax and all made up! No SW state except lagos is better than any SE state!
Most people here hide under 'Eko o ni baje' umbrella to deceive themselves while their homestates are in ruins. Even the lagos yorubas have sold all the land their father bequeathed them to people of the ethnicities; used the money to throw owambes and are now living as a tenant in the said lagos- tell me who is an indigene now? The landlord or the hungry tenant?

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by bola4dprec(m): 12:01am On May 13, 2013
when it comes to Nigeria politics I hate religion bigot even the topic here may cause any insecurity within Lagos
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by westbee: 12:01am On May 13, 2013
[quote author=AdekunleBalogun][/quote]
all u ppl talking abt 2015, do u have covenant wit GOD dat u would live 2 see dat tym
Now 2 d topic, l dont care if d nxt person 2 rule lagos or 9ja is a christian or muslim or if he/she is Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa or any other nigerian tribe. Dont even mind having an Arab or American rule provided i get the dividends of democracy. I think all that should bother us in dis country is good governance irrespective of tribe or religion.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by onpoint2: 12:07am On May 13, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

eliminated her debt and made it $0.00, left a surplus of almost $70Billion etc......

keep decieving the gullible nigerians with your exagerrations
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Slamking(m): 12:07am On May 13, 2013
Its like we talk carelessly in this forum, do u tink ani one that is nt a muslim is eventuali a Christian? are there no pegan ani more plis lets learn hw to talk in other to live in oneness to the glory of the almighty. So many Nigerian leaders are pegan bt hiding under Christianity since peganism seem devilish ''ok?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by AdekunleBalogun: 12:14am On May 13, 2013
I hereby un-follow this post...
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 12:32am On May 13, 2013
----
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 12:33am On May 13, 2013
shymexx: I just checked the first page and I saw my comment had about 120 likes - blimey!! shocked shocked shocked

I'm tipsy as fvck but I still need to celebrate that shiit right there, yo!! grin wink

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! wink

Enjoy it while it lasts

First and last time it will ever happen grin
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 12:37am On May 13, 2013
---
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by bashydemy(m): 12:46am On May 13, 2013
SO happy for the response so far, Can i ask the OP one question? Who are the qualify xtian that can deliver in Lagos state?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by DAY12(m): 1:01am On May 13, 2013
^^^

Seun don banned d OP tey tey angry
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by ekoilee: 1:03am On May 13, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut: Who doesnt know that the OP really meant to post:

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian An Igbo as Governor?

Yoruba is obviously what they'd love to be hence the endless and needless attention, but their destiny has nothing to do with Yoruba in this or the next life because of their nature, shady , lowly ways and self destructive dispositions..
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Obiagu1(m): 1:13am On May 13, 2013
payless:

No one is selecting Governor in Lagos State. The Present Governor does have his preferences but it is up to the people who vote to decide. Even in the U.S, incumbents always prefer someone to succed them but it is up to the masses to decide who becomes Governor.

Up to the people to decide ACN will always win in Lagos!

Let him select a Christian or rather let him select both a Christian and a Muslim and let the people decide in a primary.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by gbadexy(m): 1:14am On May 13, 2013
The op is a mischievous person.
The thread was started to cause doubts, distrust and disaffection amongst the yorubas.
No plan to cause dis unity in the south west along religion lines can ever work. We even celebrate each religious festival together and have swell time.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 2:40am On May 13, 2013
If Lagos wants to be a Muslim state let it be..
But is this why Taliban Tinubu joined forces with Boko Buhari to usher in moslem rule? In Edo state they already put Alhaji Adamu Aliyu Oshiomhole in position.
In Jesus name we reject these people, may holy ghost fire destroy those that wants to Islamise Nigeria.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 2:48am On May 13, 2013
Mogidi: If Lagos wants to be a Muslim state let it be..
But is this why Taliban Tinubu joined forces with Boko Buhari to usher in moslem rule? In Jesus name we reject these people, may holy ghost fire destroy those that wants to Islamise Nigeria.

You sound like someone who Holy Ghost fire has already hit. You are such a religious bigot who hates Muslims. It does not matter who is in power as long as the person does what he or she is elected to do. People like you turn Nigeria into what it is today because there is believe that someone is coming to take your religion away and Islamize you. We don't care who is Christian or Muslim. All we care about is good governance. Mind you! Obasanjo was Christian President but failed miserably. Abacha was Muslim Head of State and also failed miserably.

You, your brothers and sisters should keep your ethnic and religious bigotry in your region. We don't need that nonsense in SW.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 2:56am On May 13, 2013
May holy ghost fire destroy all of you trying to turn us into a muslim nation. In Edo state you installed Alhaji Adamu Oshiomhole in your grand scheme to Islamise everybody. We reject you people, we call on the almighty God to destroy all those wishing to Islamise us.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 3:17am On May 13, 2013
Mogidi: May holy ghost fire destroy all of you trying to turn us into a muslim nation. In Edo state you installed Alhaji Adamu Oshiomhole in your grand scheme to Islamise everybody. We reject you people, we call on the almighty God to destroy all those wishing to Islamise us.

As I said earlier, you have been hit with holy Ghost fire with the way you show yourself here. You are showing high level of mental retardation. How many times has anyone tried to Islamize us in Nigeria? Are there people who practice Islamic religion in your region? How do you treat them? Have you forgotten your god (Jonathan) couldn't get to where he is today without a Muslim selecting him as VP. By the way, his VP (Sambo) is a muslim. Seek help!

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by dramendra: 5:03am On May 13, 2013
@OP you'd better get this poo post off and get your drugs, better don't start any religious crisis in lagos, your plans won't work.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by geekinthelead: 5:15am On May 13, 2013
shymexx:

Who are these "people of Lagos?" undecided

Perhaps, if you've done a thorough research about the people from Lagos and not continue to dwell in your own stupidity - you would have noticed that most of the people from Lagos are Muslims. A lot of them converted to Christianity, but most still have tons of Muslims in their families.

Why can't you take your searchlight to your state of origin and leave Lagos alone? undecided

Dumbass.. who told you most people in lagos are muslim.. stupid ignoramus like you!.. grin
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by camelus: 5:20am On May 13, 2013
krendo: I think the people of Lagos will ask why only Muslims seems to emerge Governors in Lagos?

2015 will be a year of change

There are Christains qualified to run the affairs of Lagos too!
One day Lagosians will wake up & ask same question,it is a matter of how long?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by geekinthelead: 5:20am On May 13, 2013
shymexx:

Honestly, if not for the Arabs and the Salifism ideology that destroyed Islam... and probably the way they revere the asteroid(black stone) in kaaba... Islam is arguably a more balanced religion than Christianity...

Yoruba Muslims were also the ones behind the slave revolt in Brazil during slavery, hence why the revolt was called; Imale Revolt. That shows how long Islam has been in the SW.

dumbas.s! I have observed that you are afflicted with stupidity. Everytime you open your mouth you let everyone see through to your dutty yansh!... olo she
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by geekinthelead: 5:22am On May 13, 2013
shymexx:

I never alluded to any of the two religions being superior... I was just stating the obvious about which of them arrived first before the other. Christianity came with the missionary - however, Islam has been there for eons.

Anyway, I'm a Yoruba Christian... wink

see why they say yorubas like to talk from both sides of the mouth! oloshe i thought u just said islam is arguably the most balanced religion? why dont you convert to that then and stop trying to confuse everybody?? olori buruku agbero modafu.cker

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Paul Enenche Reveals Those Behind Kaduna Killings, Tells UN What To Do (VIDEO) / Olumba Olumba Obu - Ooo / TB Joshua's Birthday Celebration In South Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.