Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools (21168 Views)

Boko Haram "Writes" Public Schools In Lagos / Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / Lagos Rejects Move To Reduce Income Tax Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by tpia5: 1:49pm On May 16, 2013
Teachers arent allowed to wear buba and wrapper while teaching.

Why is that? We were told its because when retying wrapper, the undies can be visible. Or if the wrapper accidentally unties itself, same thing.

So, if native attire was banned in schools even though its our culture, i dont see why we cant all inconvenience ourselves and stick to the required school uniform.

Any other form of dressing can be done after school hours, imo.

If students are allowed to wear whatever they feel like, then lets remember proper traditional dressing for girls is wrapper with no blouse. Would we like the sight of young girls with wrappers accidentally falling off their breasts in class or during assembly. No doubt some would but will it not negate what is supposed to be the benefits of hijab in public schools.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 16, 2013
deols: These people have started again.

All I know is, we shall OVERCOME someday.

Rotflmao!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 16, 2013
babe_online:
thanks for the input. Do you mind watching and re-posting the video I posted on my page on Nigeria? Thanks.

I watched it last year and that's more reason why I think Nigeria should be balkanised. The country is NEVER going to work, and disintegration is the only answer.

Err...Nigeria needs to let my people go! If Nigeria can't give us a Yoruba country - an Ijebu country won't be a bad idea!! grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 16, 2013

Take ya hijab to Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia - there's no desert in Lagos.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Missfads(f): 3:45pm On May 16, 2013
abubello:
so those rules and regulations should override ones religious injunctions? Why should a muslim girl who wants to cover her modesty be forced to expose her nak.edness to the public?
[color=#770077][/color]

Not using hijab is not showing of unclothedness.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by siddiq202(m): 3:59pm On May 16, 2013
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by hero2947: 4:21pm On May 16, 2013
Moslems go dey vex ooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Jamisco: 4:22pm On May 16, 2013
oluwadare26: U can c now dat Fashola is not bias irrespective of his religion., so y clamour for a christian to succeed him at must?

ASK YOUR MUSLIM BROTHERS THAT MURDERED WILLIAM FUNSHO AND YOU WILL KNOW THE REASON WHY.

ALSO, I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT FASHOLA IS BIAS IN RELIGION, ONLY HE WANT PLAY POLITICS SINCE THE BOKO HARAM SPONSORS ARE GLAMORING FOR MUSLIM-MUSLIM TICKET IN APC TO GAIN SUPPORT THAT THEY ARE NOT RELIGION FANATICS WHILE THEY ARE.

BUHARI AND CO SAID IF GEJ WIN ELECTION THE COUNTRY WILL BE UNGOVERNABLE, WHICH IS EVERY BODY IS WITNESSING TODAY. BAHARI IS THE GRAND PATROL OF BOKO BOYZ WHILE FASHOLA IS THE PATROL THATS WHY THE WANT TO ACTUALIZED THE BOKO HARAM AGENDA TO ISLAMIZE THE COUNTRY.

CHRIST IS NOT DEAD LIKE OTHERS AND NO ONE IS SHEDDING BLOOD IN HIS NAME, THE ONE HE SHED ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY IS ENOUGH TO SET YOU FREE. SO FRIEND ACCEPT CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOUR AND STOP KILLING PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF GOD WHO CANNOT PROTECT HIS OWN NAME.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by tpia5: 4:58pm On May 16, 2013

Feel the power, sister, feel the power.

upraised fist.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 16, 2013
shymexx:

I watched it last year and that's more reason why I think Nigeria should be balkanised. The country is NEVER going to work, and disintegration is the only answer.

Err...Nigeria needs to let my people go! If Nigeria can't give us a Yoruba country - an Ijebu country won't be a bad idea!! grin grin grin
so you are a Yoruba brother. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 8:56pm On May 16, 2013
abubello:
so those rules and regulations should override ones religious injunctions? Why should a muslim girl who wants to cover her modesty be forced to expose her nak.edness to the public?

No problem if the public is not fit for such a girl let her stay in her father's house or join a ba ashiga in Zamfara anyway she is used to covering her body. Let the mind also be covered Shikena.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 9:07pm On May 16, 2013
funnyx: There's nothing wrong with wearing hijab to school, hijab is not the same as burka which is a full body wear. Its just a scarf!

Hijab or jihad? That difference could be a pointer to haram. Boko haram?
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 12:48am On May 17, 2013
funnyx:

You guys are just being paranoid, well I can understand its due to boko haram but seriously hijab is just a mere scarf. I'm not a Muslim but I have no problem with Muslim girls putting on hijab, here in the UK they wear it to school, work etc and it causes no one any headache except the extreme right wingers.

When does one become an extremist
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 1:29am On May 17, 2013
bingils:

You are ranting rubbish my friend, he clearly made his point, and he stressed the fact that we need to tolerate & respect each others belief for peace to reign. Our constitution doesn't abolish wearing the Hijab to school, why then should the commissioner single handedly instigate a problem which necessarily ought not to be.

I'd have expected her to focus on issues more demanding like improving the quality of Education in the state rather pass judgments that will tamper with the peace that's been enjoyed by the people...

Cases like these are very delicate even beyond shores of Africa, we therefore call on the commissioner to please withdraw her policy as it doesn't meet to the immediate needs of the people & for peace to reign!

Education simply means sharpening you mind. Knowledge means you become a library of other's thought and findings. Fanaticism robs humanity of these. Galileo was imprisoned by the church when he made known his scientific finding. The western world moved forward when they put religion in its position. This issue of introducing religious rules to our schools is a way of imprisonment of mind: our secularity and education have giving us a leading position in Nigeria compare to northern bigots. How has this religious bigotry benefited Saudi, or Iraq etc. They refuse to break away from their past and they are problem of the world today no less than almajiris of the north. Kudos to Fashola who dares to bring a change like Kemal Ataturk of Turkey who brought radical changes to Turkey. Omo Oduduwa; ogbon nbe eniyan wa.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 1:34am On May 17, 2013
[quote author=bingils]

You are ranting rubbish my friend, he clearly made his point, and he stressed the fact that we need to tolerate & respect each others belief for peace to reign. Our constitution doesn't abolish wearing the Hijab to school, why then should the commissioner single handedly instigate a problem which necessarily ought not to be.

I'd have expected her to focus on issues more demanding like improving the quality of Education in the state rather pass judgment

Education simply means sharpening one's mind. Knowledge means you become a library of other's thought and findings. Fanaticism robs humanity of these. Galileo was imprisoned by the church when he made known his scientific finding. The western world moved forward when they put religion in its position. This issue of introducing religious rules to our schools is a way of imprisonment of mind: our secularity and education have giving us a leading position in Nigeria compare to northern bigots. How has this religious bigotry benefited Saudi, or Iraq etc. They refuse to break away from their past and they are problem of the world today no less than almajiris of the north. Kudos to Fashola who dares to bring a change like Kemal Ataturk of Turkey who brought radical changes to Turkey. Omo Oduduwa; ogbon nbe eniyan wa.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by MightySparrow: 1:44am On May 17, 2013
Education simply means sharpening one's mind. Knowledge means you become a library of other's thought and findings. Fanaticism robs humanity of these. Galileo was imprisoned by the church when he made known his scientific finding. The western world moved forward when they put religion in its position. This issue of introducing religious rules to our schools is a way of imprisonment of mind: our secularity and education have giving us a leading position in Nigeria compare to northern bigots. How has this religious bigotry benefited Saudi, or Iraq etc. They refuse to break away from their past and they are problem of the world today no less than almajiris of the north. Kudos to Fashola who dares to bring a change like Kemal Ataturk of Turkey who brought radical changes to Turkey. Omo Oduduwa; ogbon nbe eniyan wa.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by lastpage: 8:40am On May 17, 2013
bingils:

Shat ya trap there my friend, I called him that to know how it feels being in my shoes & calling me a He-goat, if you are angered by my comment, you can as well take the "pig" to qualify yourself for all I care... No.nsense
Now l understand why he called you He-Goat! grin grin grin grin
Be-keke-Be-keekeee tongue tongue

Now, waka-pass and go chew some Grazz! undecided

Anuofia!

Lastpage!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by lastpage: 8:45am On May 17, 2013
9jadelta: can u tell us the school let me google it
Stop being silly!
Public Schools (from junior infant to Senior Secondary) all over U.K wear "uniforms". Same in Rep. of Ireland and Northern ireland

Dont even comment on things you know nothing about.
Just rest your case and say something else.
That poster knows what she is saying naah

Lastpage!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by lastpage: 8:54am On May 17, 2013
kasco27: Am highly disapointed in Fashola led government in lagos state, but am surprise he's is not a true muslim. So opposing that idea wil be his priority. Islam is a religion of Allah, no one can stop the good work of Allah, Muslims will be @ d top In this Nation Insha-Allahu.

I hope you wont be tempted one day, to become a Boko Haram Suicide bomber in Lagos Area?
You seem to have all the required attributes, especially rabid isalmic fanaticism!
Na so dem dey start. wink

You hereby put under WATCH!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by lastpage: 9:23am On May 17, 2013
probsolver: The attention of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit has been drawn to the purported ban on the use of Hijab in Lagos State public Schools by the state government

Let us state here that the state government had reneged on its agreement to call us for dialogue since our mass protest of Februarry 28, 2013 to the Governor's Office in Alausa. The state government did not only reneged on all agreements but also ensured through delay tactics that the case is swept under the carpet.

I think you Muslims are beginning to annoy all sensible people and constitute yourselves into public nuisance!
Hijab or Sultana does NOT make the "man", it is what goes on in your HEART that God is concerned with.

Again, the Public School is a "PUBLIC PLACE". Neither Christian or Islamic domain.
It should and will remain NEUTRAL to ANY RELIGION.

Like l said, if you want to practice your Religion, Go to a MOSQUE or a CHURCH. Finito!
If covering the head and neck (using Hijab) is the solution to promiscuity and moral decadence, then Northen Nigeria will not be full of Prostitutes, Homosexuals and terrorists, as we all know!

Same goes for Christians.
Get a life and find something productive to do. Stop Peddling religious dogmatism.
So, all of a sudden, Gov Fashola is no longer a "true Muslim", right?

You people must learn to be tolerant, less fanatical and stop fighting on behalf of God/Allah or whatever you believe in.
God is way too big and too strong, for any mortal man to fight on his behalf.
gerrit? angry angry

probsolver: The pronouncement by the commissioner is an after thought and a flagrant disrespect for the rule of law. [b]We have already served the government court notice on the issue and Justice Oyewole of the State High Court had fixed May 27, 2013 for hearing of our suit. So, we wonder why the commissioner, who we believe, knows the position of the law, would come out to make such irresponsible pronouncement. Her action makes us to question her professional integrity as a lawyer!

We therefore advised governor Babatunde Fashola to caution this woman before she destroyed the integrity left in the government.
Such personalities like Mrs Oladunjoye and her co-travellers are not fit for public positionand should henceforth be removed from office.
[/b]
As we have stated in our previous positions, we will employ all legal and peaceful means to ensure our rights are not denied us. The constitution of Nigeria recognises the right to use hijab in schools and nobody can take it away from us.

We will not relent!

Thanks.

Sulaimon Alamutu

PRO, MSSN Lagos State Area Unit
It is good that you are even sensible enough to "Go to Court". Your Brothers from the North would have "Thrown a bomb"! grin grin
I guess it is the "humanity of the West" that has robbed-off on you,... but dont carry it too far, Islam seems to go hand-in-hand with INTOLERANCE (as you are already displaying towards the Governor!).
Why is this so?

Why is your religion so confrontational?
Your daughters are still free to wear their Hijab, when they close from school and even sleep with it over-night!
Why make a fuse out of wearing it in a Public School?

What does it contribute to their "class education"? Nadda!
What does it 'take-away' from their class education? Nadda as well!!

If they MUST cover-head in class, let them wear their School Beret (approved school, head cover).

So, what is the noise all about?

Sometimes, l am tempted to agree with those who think ISLAM as a religion, is itself a huge problem for the whole world!
But mind you, l have seem wonderful "Muslims" who dont get "fanatical and suicidal" about every little thing.
But then, l guess you would say "They are NOT TRUE MUSLIMS"!

This religious Fanaticism MUST STOP!
wetin sef? angry

Lastpage!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by gscott12051: 10:31am On May 17, 2013
There some people right here on nairaland that has no brain.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 11:42am On May 17, 2013
tintingz: shuo!

I went to government school and we were forced to buy song of praise booklet...kindly visit any government school and ask the students if they dont clap to christians praise songs.
shuo to u nt me
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by REVOLUTNIS: 3:38pm On May 17, 2013
Lagos state govt is inviting Islamic terrorists by making its decision public. I pity lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kachikwu Sanctions NNPC Staff Over Scandalous Project Exposed By PREMIUM TIMES / Buhari Hasn’t Convinced Nigerians He Passed School Certificate Exam– Junaid Moha / "We Will Beg Buhari To Run In 2019" – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.