Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online (5099 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 10:24pm On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

I admit the initial requirements was a bit too much,

No they weren't, they were just trivial.

that will bring us respect among the programming communities around the world.

Not with those medicore softwares..

My suggestions.

1. A payment gateway that would enable Nigerians make payments online with airtime on their phone..

2. Rebranding the failed wazobia linux project and making it open source

3. An online translator that translates languages in our local dialects

igbo - hausa
hausa-yoruba
yoruba to pidgin
hausa to english

and so on

4. A 3D/HD war game that depicits the Nigerian civil war which would include well known personalities like awolowo, ojukwu and so on.

5. A 3D/HD Adventure game that has cultism and Confraternities in our Nigerian Universities as its theme.

Games should be on the android/ios and possibly P.c/Ps3/XBOX 360

2 Likes

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by lordZOUGA(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

The projects I like us to start with are:

1. A web and mobile app MVC 'Accounting Application' and a windows version in MVP.

2. A web and mobile app MVC 'Hotel Reservation Application' which will be integrated with the above 'Accounting Application'

3. A web base MVC 'Content Management System' (CMS).

4. A web and mobile app MVC 'Customer Relations Management Application' (CRM).

5. A web and mobile app MVC 'Forum Application'

We can start working on these projects once enough people have signed up.

Skills required are: HTML, JavaScript, Ajax, CSS, Fireworks, Photoshop, Java, C#, Python, PHP, SQL, Linq to SQL and any more I have not mentioned for the web.

really? is that it?
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 11:21pm On Jun 16, 2013
lordZOUGA:
really? is that it?

No, my list is just a started. Others are welcomed to add their own ideas.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 1:18am On Jun 17, 2013
Javanian:

My suggestions.

1. A payment gateway that would enable Nigerians make payments online with airtime on their phone..

igbo - hausa
hausa-yoruba
yoruba to pidgin
hausa to english

and so on

4. A 3D/HD war game that depicits the Nigerian civil war which would include well known personalities like awolowo, ojukwu and so on.

5. A 3D/HD Adventure game that has cultism and Confraternities in our Nigerian Universities as its theme.

Your suggestions are wonderful and I do commend you for coming up with such.

I would like us to start on the first item on your list as this will quickly make people to see what we have achieved. But one question I have is, how do we gain access to the network provider's API's that will allow payments online with airtime on phones.

2, 3 ,4 & 5 Will require a lot of time and resources from us and as we are still in the early stage, it will be best if we leave these till later.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 6:46am On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

Your suggestions are wonderful and I do commend you for coming up with such.

I would like us to start on the first item on your list as this will quickly make people to see what we have achieved. But one question I have is, how do we gain access to the network provider's API's that will allow payments online with airtime on phones.

2, 3 ,4 & 5 Will require a lot of time and resources from us and as we are still in the early stage, it will be best if we leave these till later.

You would certainly have to go through the individual network providers as there is no existing API for that yet. They would ask for a percentage of each transaction. You would need some goverment backing for this project as most of these network providers would be stubborn and greedy when you approach them.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 7:12am On Jun 17, 2013
Also, i don't see why any of 2,3,4 and 5 should be difficult with a team of 'software engineers/computer scientist' on it. i can take on most of these project as the sole programmer, would just cost me time and money which i dont have for now. if a quack like me can make an attempt you guys can do better.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:42am On Jun 17, 2013
Javanian: if a quack like me can make an attempt you guys can do better.

Not anymore, because from your suggestions, you have shown you have great potentials in the field of software development, for this reason the Association is offering you a honorary degree in Software Engineering, I hope you will accept it.

On the other issues you raised I will get back later.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by lordZOUGA(m): 8:44am On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

Not anymore, because from your suggestions, you have shown you have great potentials in the field of software development, for this reason the Association is offering you a honorary degree in Software Engineering, I hope you will accept it.

Lmao
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Ajibel(m): 10:41am On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

LWKMD
Buh hey bros keep that cert requirement thingy as optional. It doesnt count much in the CS field. And what do u mean by 'programming related course' Na physics i dey study [doe i hope 2switch 2 CS dis yr] cheesy
If you remove the compulsory requirement, i could invite my colleagues and seniors to the group though i'm currently not interested embarassed
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2013
Ajibel:
And what do u mean by 'programming related course' Na physics i dey study [doe i hope 2switch 2 CS dis yr] cheesy
If you remove the compulsory requirement, i could invite my colleagues and seniors to the group

If you do any programming in the course you're studying then you can join us. There is no compulsory requirement anymore for you becoming a member.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by mj(m): 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

Laugh wan kill me for office. grin grin grin
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by aycsharp(m): 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

you talk as if having a software engineering degree makes you a good programmer/developer. That's a typical Nigerian way of thinking, as if those crappy Universities and polytechnics actually offer the real computing. To join open source groups online nobody will ask of your CS degree, until Nigerians stop this certificate mentality, I doubt if the country will move forward.

1 Like

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 9:10pm On Jun 17, 2013
Javanian:
You would certainly have to go through the individual network providers as there is no existing API for that yet. They would ask for a percentage of each transaction. You would need some goverment backing for this project as most of these network providers would be stubborn and greedy when you approach them.

This is the reason I would like us to start with an 'Accounting Application' once the application becomes popular among businesses, it will be easier for us to approach government for backing so that we can enter the cell phone market.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 9:14pm On Jun 17, 2013
aycsharp: you talk as if having a software engineering degree makes you a good programmer/developer. That's a typical Nigerian way of thinking, as if those crappy Universities and polytechnics actually offer the real computing. To join open source groups online nobody will ask of your CS degree, until Nigerians stop this certificate mentality, I doubt if the country will move forward.

There ain't any requirements for joining anymore, there will be more than enough tasks for anyone who can program.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2013
csharpjava:

This is the reason I would like us to start with an 'Accounting Application' once the application becomes popular among businesses, it will be easier for us to approach government for backing so that we can enter the cell phone market.

Errrrm can you google 'Accounting Management Application' you would get over a hundred million results. They are tons and tons of these online both open/closed source, free/paid. i dont know about others but i wont join yet another management system team even if time permits me.

If you dont have the resources to execute project 1 try 4 or 5. its going to be stressfull but the end product would be well worth it. if done properly that app is guaranteed to make you a millonaire in dollars in first 3 years of operation. Even if the game runs on the android platfofm alone and is sold on the play store for just $3. There are more than 20 million internet users in Nigeria, most of which are/would be in the fast growing Android platform in no time. it wont be easy but you can.

You have what it takes, from your post on NL in the past i see you didnt only study software engineering abroad but you also have some on the job experience. Many of us dont have that. You dont know how much i fantasize on the kind of opportunity you have/had. in an environment where i am taught by the best lecturers/professors, have reliable internet connection, have steady power supply, have like minds i can work and share ideas with. i once took some online tutorials from UC BERKLEY and The MIT on data structures and algorithms, they were video tutorials and i saw how they are taught there. i almost shed tears. if you know what i go through everyday just to get power supply and internet connection you would join me in shedding tears. i have a project i have been working on since late last year and sometimes i almost get discouraged and want to quit but somehow i just continue.

why am i saying all these?

1. we share a common dream and i want to encourage you.
2. project 1 would go a long way in helping me in my current project. grin

Also, i dont even see any need for these thread, when the time for work comes they would ALL chicken away. Beleive me, i know what i am saying. All Nigerians know is money, they dont beleive in collaboration or anything of such. So you need to be a trail blazer, you need to lead the way, you need to proove yourself, you need to come up with something tangible thats the only way the FEW daring ones would listen to you. Dont get discouraged just beleive you can do it.

See you at the top!
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by remmyz(m): 9:50am On Jun 18, 2013
Javanian:

My suggestions.

igbo - hausa
hausa-yoruba
yoruba to pidgin
hausa to english

and so on

the first project might nit be possible reason been that airtime is not legally accepted as a means of payment all over the world and recently, at the just concluded cardAtmAndMobile Expo @ Eko Hotel i asked paga Ceo y recharge card is nt accepted as a means of payment. and his response was throughout the whole world, the highest payment u can do via airtime Is 100 Naira.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by mj(m): 7:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
Going with Javanian recommendation, I'll go for 3 % 4, I respect her alot, and will like to work with her on this.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
Javanian:
Errrrm can you google 'Accounting Management Application ' you would get over a hundred million results. They are tons and tons of these online both open/closed source, free/paid. i dont know about others but i wont join yet another management system team even if time permits me.

You’re right that there are loads of ' Accounting Applications' but this doesn’t mean the users are satisfied with all that they are getting from these ‘Accounting Applications’. This is where we can make a difference, by developing an ' Accounting Applications' which will provide more than what the existing ones do not provide and for us to keep improving on it. We can develop applications that already exist but with something new which will make users to switch over to our one.

Javanian:
If you dont have the resources to execute project 1 try 4 or 5. its going to be stressfull but the end product would be well worth it. if done properly that app is guaranteed to make you a millonaire in dollars in first 3 years of operation. Even if the game runs on the android platfofm alone and is sold on the play store for just $3. There are more than 20 million internet users in Nigeria, most of which are/would be in the fast growing Android platform in no time. it wont be easy but you can.

Point of correction please always use 'us' as this 'Association' is not for me only but for all Nigerian programmers, any profit made belongs to all those who have contributed in making such profit.
To get the network operators to give us access to their API's or to trust us to create one for them will require us to have made a name already in developing financial applications.
For moral and ethical reasons such a war game won't be a be a good project to embark on. Developing a game of high quality will put a lot of strain on us for now as we are still at an early stage.

Javanian:
You have what it takes, from your post on NL in the past i see you didnt only study software engineering abroad but you also have some on the job experience. Many of us dont have that. You dont know how much i fantasize on the kind of opportunity you have/had. in an environment where i am taught by the best lecturers/professors, have reliable internet connection, have steady power supply, have like minds i can work and share ideas with. i once took some online tutorials from UC BERKLEY and The MIT on data structures and algorithms, they were video tutorials and i saw how they are taught there. i almost shed tears. if you know what i go through everyday just to get power supply and internet connection you would join me in shedding tears. i have a project i have been working on since late last year and sometimes i almost get discouraged and want to quit but somehow i just continue.

I feel for you, well don't worry your time will come, just keep trying. What I have in mind is also for the 'Association' to offer scholarships for hard working programmer like yourself to come to the Western world to study 'Software Engineering or Computer Science'

Javanian:
why am i saying all these?

1. we share a common dream and i want to encourage you.
2. project 1 would go a long way in helping me in my current project.

Also, i dont even see any need for these thread, when the time for work comes they would ALL chicken away. Believe me, i know what i am saying. All Nigerians know is money, they dont beleive in collaboration or anything of such. So you need to be a trail blazer, you need to lead the way, you need to proove yourself, you need to come up with something tangible thats the only way the FEW daring ones would listen to you. Dont get discouraged just beleive you can do it.

See you at the top!

This is the more reason I suggested the kind of applications I listed above, to develop these application to a world class level is going to be challenging but rewarding too and there will be motivation for those involved, as each stage we complete will be online for us to see and try online. I strongly believe we should start with an 'Accounting Application' and then later we can move on to games.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by netcontacts101: 10:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hey! I stumbled upon this thread and I'm loving it - it reads like a movie-drama, it's important for Nigeria, it strikes a human tone what with the "Oga" programmer changing his poorly-thought-through criterion of "certification before joining" and all.

Get back to this thread already!
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 9:00am On Jun 30, 2013
@netcontacts101: Nice to have you on board.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 9:16am On Jun 30, 2013
Our first project will be a mobile app game based on supernatural believes in Nigeria. We'll need people to post their experiences and stories they've heard about supernatural events which we can turn into a mobile app game.

We will then start the game's story writing, model and design this story using a UML tool which the programming will be based on.

This is going to be a very interesting and successful project and I hope everyone will take part as this will be a mobile app developed by 'The Association Of Nigerian programmers'.

You can read contributions from others on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Of-Nigerian-Programmers-Online/589086937790732
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 5:40pm On Jun 30, 2013
It looks like the guys here are too scared of the supernatural in Nigeria grin, since no one has responded to my game idea, ok I will go and try the guys in the religious section, I'm sure those guys in the religious section ain't scared of the supernatural.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by GideonG(m): 10:25pm On Jun 30, 2013
All this one na certificate minded people, you can't expect them to do Mobile App right now let alone Game for that matter.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by GideonG(m): 9:58pm On Jul 01, 2013
Please can any certificate minded member here (A part from Mod.) show me any of his mobile App? or portfolio? I wanna prove myself wrong.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 11:57am On Jul 06, 2013
The most challenging part of this game will be the UI development, we need programmers to post their codes here or on our Facebbok page @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Of-Nigerian-Programmers-Online/589086937790732 for UI animations which we will use for this game and others. I want us to avoid the use of an animation software and just work with C++, C#, Java and JavaScript graphics. The IDEs we'll use are Mosync, Eclipse and Xamarin Studio - Starter Edition which are all free, Windows Emulator is faster for working with Mosync. Students can submit their codes too as this will serve as a good experience for them while they are still studying.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Raypawer(m): 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian:

+10000
+150000 to that
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Raypawer(m): 12:45pm On Jul 06, 2013
Javanian:

My suggestions.

igbo - hausa
hausa-yoruba
yoruba to pidgin
hausa to english

and so on

nigga ur on point...

##
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 2:36am On Jul 14, 2013
Here is a new project, an easy to use 'Shopping Cart' for web and mobile devices, that can be integrated with payment gateways. Please post your comments here if this is of interest to you. We will develop it with this domain name naijaEcommerce.com. The programming languages to be used are C#, PHP, Python, HTML, JavaScript, JQuery, Java and C++ for the mobile version and any other web languages you are familiar with.

The harvest is plenty, we hope the laborers too are going to be plenty, as all programmers are welcome to join in.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Of-Nigerian-Programmers-Online/589086937790732?ref=stream&hc_location=stream
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by pseudonomer: 9:59am On Jul 14, 2013
What about Mathematics Student with Good Programming skills?
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 10:06am On Jul 14, 2013
pseudonomer: What about Mathematics Student with Good Programming skills?

Thanks for your interest, students that can program are welcome to join.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Elvisten10(m): 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2013
bump

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. / Friendosphere.com is there for you, developer-inclined website / The New Haitian Ipod: D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.