Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill (5104 Views)

Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / Court Throws-Out Application To Stop Buhari's Inauguration / Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by rasque(m): 1:50pm On May 16, 2006
Senate Throws Out Constitution Third Term Amendment Bill

The Nigerian Senate has just thrown out the Constitution Third Term Amendment Bill. What your are views on this and the possible repercussion to the Nigerian populace??
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by ono(m): 2:04pm On May 16, 2006
Source please.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Ashiwaju(m): 2:11pm On May 16, 2006
I am indeed happy and its a welcomed development, that shows that we still have people who know what just is right for the country, Money cannot always win, This is peoples mandate and the peoples hope. Now we are done with Amendment, lets now start shopping for a new leader.

Mennnnn, Y'all need to see Mantu's Face and that yeye man from Imo State, Ifeanyi abi na Ifeoma hin call him self. The motion is so disgustful and so despicable, lets concentrate, we need a capable leader and we dont need no obj to choose for us. we ll shop for one.

dts my view!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Ashiwaju(m): 2:20pm On May 16, 2006
Its fresh and its new, so you can hardly find the source online but say in few hrs, you would find it online or beta still listen to 3pm news, you would see or hear 4 yah self.

I am happy, I am happy, I am happy that man has to get his things ready to go back to ota 2007. we need new faces and please please and please my people no more babangida, marwa and co. I beg you, if we trully need a leader, please search for people like pat,Gani,Tinubu,Chikelu,tukur,rochas! we have got uncountable options. its our time t shine and its our time to make this country work! Enough of this Animal rule people, Padi Padi Govt and Arranji govt. abi of what use is it to off Kaki and put on agbada. the you in you still remains the you in you regardless of what you wear.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Chxta(m): 2:33pm On May 16, 2006
We need the source of this story please!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by rasque(m): 2:35pm On May 16, 2006
@ono, Chxta
AIT Live broadcast of the Constitutional Review.  After the debate, the senate majority leader moves for the second reading of the Amendment Bill which was promptly turned down by majority of the senators, thereby throwing the bill in the thrash can,

@Ashiwaju

Indeed it is welcomed development and has saved nigeria from the elongation of military rule.  Like Senator Chukwumerie put it, if the consitutional amendment bill is allowed to pass through, it would be putting the present day administration there for another 12 years which would make a total of 20years for OBJ, Na im papa farm?

The present day government through its wicked and evil plans only put the tenure elongation bill amongst several other amendments to deceive the Nigerian populace.  However, the throwing out of the bill by the senate in order to avoid the administration of OBJ from achieving its devilish aim would also be denying the Nigerian populace some well deserved amendments to the constituion.  There are some points included in the amendment bill which would have turned out to be a positive development for Nigerians amongst which are:

Resource Control for the Niger Delta
Independent Candidature for elections
Local Government reforms
State creation
total Independency of INEC
Removal of the Immunity Clause from the constitution.
, several others,

It would have been a welcomed development if the other amendments are reviewed with the exclusion of the tenure elongation aspect.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by ono(m): 2:46pm On May 16, 2006
@Rasque,
Well, we can always have those other goodies later on in another administration, other than OBJ's. I have always known that there's something sinister about that bill. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by rasque(m): 2:49pm On May 16, 2006
Please is anyone out there watching the House of Representative members debating the constitutional amendment bill?

They are acting like a bunch of primary school pupils with absolute neglect for orderliness and self-respect.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by loma(m): 2:50pm On May 16, 2006
http://za.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-16T131444Z_01_BAN644216_RTRIDST_0_OZATP-NIGERIA-CONSTITUTION-20060516.XML

ABUJA (Reuters) - The Nigerian Senate threw out on Tuesday a bill to amend the constitution, bringing to an end a campaign by supporters of President Olusegun Obasanjo to let him stand for a third term in elections next year.

The surprise move was greeted with shouts of joy and hugs from many senators, who had argued that the amendment was a threat to democracy in Africa's top oil exporter.

"The Senate has said clearly, the Senate has said transparently that we will discontinue further processes on this bill," Senate President Ken Nnamani said after a voice vote on whether the bill should go through a second reading.

"The bill is dead. It cannot be brought again until the lifespan of this Senate terminates. That is victory for democracy," said Senator Abu Ibrahim, who represents the opposition All Nigeria People's Party in Katsina state.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Ashiwaju(m): 2:58pm On May 16, 2006
Yes we can have them later, i support ono. let that man go first or beta still if their must be any other amendment aside Third term then it should start afta OBJ's Govt.

Well as for the act in the house of reps, i expected that to happen when they know too well what it means for those of them in support of the TTA. I trust my Abike, she no go gree and if you ask me we have seen many of those kinda acts. we are used to it!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by loma(m): 3:00pm On May 16, 2006
Nigeria Senate rejects third term

Mr Obasanjo's second term in office ends next year
Nigeria's Senate has thrown out a move to allow President Olusegun Obasanjo to seek a third term of office next year - an issue which has divided the country.
Opponents shouted for joy as the bill to amend the constitution was rejected.

Supporters of the third term issue spent days in talks trying to acquire a two-thirds majority in both houses.

Meanwhile, a new bill has been proposed in the lower house of parliament which would allow one term of six years to be served for presidents and governors.

"The bill is dead. It cannot be brought again until the lifespan of this Senate terminates," Senator Abu Ibrahim told Reuters news agency after the Senate vote.

In the House of Representatives, loud applause from both sides of the third term debate greeted the plan announced by deputy speaker Austin Opara that presidents and governors serve one six-year term instead of two four-year terms currently allowed.

Mr Opara, told MPs that those already in place "should not benefit" from the move which could come into effect next year.

The proposal has now gone to a sub-committee for further discussion, says the BBC's Yusuf Sarki Mohamed in Abuja.

On Monday, Nigeria's anti-corruption agency announced it was investigating claims that MPs have been offered bribes to back moves to let the president seek re-election.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it was following up claims that MPs had been offered up to 50m naira ($390,000; £206,000).

President Olusegun Obasanjo has not said whether he would like to remain in office after his current term expires next year.

Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, who also wants the top job, had declared himself against the amendment.

He has helped Mr Obasanjo win two elections and has held the position of vice-president since 1999.

Some opponents of the constitutional change argue that the presidency needs to rotate among people from different regions and ethnic groups.

For any constitutional amendments to pass, it requires a two-thirds majority in both houses of the assembly and the backing of two-thirds of the states.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4986904.stm
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by somebody(f): 3:54pm On May 16, 2006
"The Senate at the end of a dramatic debate today threw out the constitution amendment bill, one of which provisions seeks to extend the tenure of the president and governors. When a motion was moved for second reading, the Senate kicked against it with an overwhelming “nay”, thereby bringing the debate on tenure extension to an end."

Source: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=48294
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by somebody(f): 3:55pm On May 16, 2006
"The Senate at the end of a dramatic debate today threw out the constitution amendment bill, one of which provisions seeks to extend the tenure of the president and governors. When a motion was moved for second reading, the Senate kicked against it with an overwhelming “nay”, thereby bringing the debate on tenure extension to an end."

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=48294
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by twinstaiye(m): 4:44pm On May 16, 2006
That is another acheivement of OBJ, under him there is free practice of democracy, unlike his peers in other countries where the opposition are intimidated. OBJ carry on because his life does not depend on it. He is doing it for us.
Meanwhile, it is not a victory yet for the masses like I keep saying, those politicians have won today, not because they are good at it, but because they use us again to realise their selfish interest. Mark my words, we the masses are the worst for it.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by ldollier(f): 4:45pm On May 16, 2006
twinstaiye:

That is another acheivement of OBJ, under him there is free practice of democracy, unlike his peers in other countries where the opposition are intimidated. OBJ carry on because his life does not depend on it. He is doing it for us.
Meanwhile, it is not a victory yet for the masses like I keep saying, those politicians have won today, not because they are good at it, but because they use us again to realise their selfish interest. Mark my words, we the masses are the worst for it.

'

An Obj supporter. are you forreal shocked shocked shocked BULLOCKS.

anywho am glad the Senate did what they did, SO THERE IS HOPE FOR NAIJA AFTERALL
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by twinstaiye(m): 4:55pm On May 16, 2006
ldollier:

'

An Obj supporter. are you forreal shocked shocked shocked BULLOCKS.

anywho am glad the Senate did what they did, SO THERE IS HOPE FOR NAIJA AFTERALL
Yeah, I am, and I am proud I am.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by ldollier(f): 4:57pm On May 16, 2006
twinstaiye:

Yeah, I am, and I am proud I am.

Wow i guess i should clap for you then. BULLOCKS. CORRUPTS INDIVIDUALS!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by twinstaiye(m): 5:00pm On May 16, 2006
Call me what you like, I aint a politician, I just support OBJ government. Besides, are you sure those politicians (senators) that oppose 3rd term are not corrupt. They only oppose the 3rd term now when they know Baba is a threat to them and has been dealing with Big names in politics, and could be their turn any time. How many times have they been bribed to pass a bill that does not concern them? ask yourself. The Labour bill is there, for instance. How many times have they passed a bill to correct so many things in this country? How many times have they passed a bill to favour the masses and are antagonist to their own selfish interest. I keep saying it that this politicians are using us to always realise their selfish interest.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by ldollier(f): 5:02pm On May 16, 2006
twinstaiye:

Call mw what you like, I aint a politician, I just support OBJ government. Besides, are you sure those politicians that oppose 3rd term are not corrupt. They only oppose it now when they know Baba is a threat to them. How many times have they been bribed to pass a bill? ask yourself.

well at last, the bill has been throw out. I EVEN THINK it helped obj, because if this his third term crap was to have been succesfull, then know that he(obj) should go make his death bed. so MR OBJ SUPPORTER, be glad that the bill was thrown out.

CORRUPTION HAS KILLED NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT. so of course the senators are corrupt, but they are corrupt enough to know that THE THIRD TERM CRAP WAS GOING TO DESTROY NIGERIA
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by twinstaiye(m): 5:05pm On May 16, 2006
ldollier:

CORRUPTION HAS KILLED NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT. so of course the senators are corrupt, but they are corrupt enough to know that THE THIRD TERM CRAP WAS GOING TO DESTROY NIGERIA
When they know this one is tantamount to their selfish interest. enough said I got to close for the day.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by lawole: 5:10pm On May 16, 2006
@ Twinstaiye

Did i read you right you said  today's senate proceeding is a victory for OBJ because he allowed the senators to vote on the TTA. Old boy you are now like one them politician . You are now speaking from both side of your mouth. OBJ had no choice he had to retreat with his tail between his legs.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by rasque(m): 5:16pm On May 16, 2006
@Twins

It is undeniable that President Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo has implemented some policies that have been benefitial to the nigerian populace especially related to the private business sector. However, that does not mean that he is the best that Nigerians can offer.

I believe you that Nigerians are the wiser now, come 2007, the masses stand to choose their choice
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by africanboy(m): 5:37pm On May 16, 2006
*wonders*
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by cassidy(f): 5:42pm On May 16, 2006
Today is d best day of my life in Nigeria politics, though i ve not watched d debate (heard it was on air), i heard it was awesome. D senate president called for a voice vote and when he asked does in support to vote there was absolute silence and when asked does in support to vote the whole place erupted with nay.

i am sure it was a beautiful scene, i sure won't miss it on the news tonite

CONGRATULATIONS INCORUPTABLE NIGERIANS!!!!!!!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Moukee(m): 6:07pm On May 16, 2006
The senators that voted against the third term bill constitute the upright elements in the savannah of the morally fallen. When I heard that money was being used to lure them to vote for the bill, I was like: ofone! I am really surprised at this positive development which goes to show that never again in the good ol' Naija shall evil overshadow righteousness. Aluta continua! Victoria acerta!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 7:12pm On May 16, 2006
splendid! splendid! the river just split and we are about to cross to the other side. if pharaoh (OBJ) and his goats try to stop us from behind, they'll drown.

my 9-ja people, get set for the year 2007 is the year for you and for me.

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Chxta(m): 7:20pm On May 16, 2006
There is a God!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by jonpinjeff(m): 7:24pm On May 16, 2006
This is a resounding victory for Democracy in Nigeria. The Senate has come of Age. I am very happy to witness History-Live. We have witnessed a trasition towards light of our value system.At least there is now hope that we would handover a less corrupt value system to posterity. This is an issue that generations unborn would re visit analyse and thank all those that were involved in making this memorable decision. Democracy defeated Autocracy Today.
Conscience Conquered Corruption.

It was a big dent & abuse on our collective image, reputation and intelligence as a Nation to say or even habour the thot that Obasanjo was Indespensable in a country with a youth population of over 80 Million Brilliant & Energetic Youths.

Good Riddance to Filth.

Bravo To the Senate. Keep It Up!!!!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by OldGlory1(m): 7:28pm On May 16, 2006
This would be recorded in History as a very good thing.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by babadee(m): 7:30pm On May 16, 2006
In the Nigeria i know, it is still too early to celeberate so check out this scenario.
OBJ's boys forment trouble all over the country such that he is forced to declare a state of emergency in which the constitution is suspended and martial law takes effect. just joking
it is Nigeria wher anything can happen so lets just wait till 2007
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by bolex(m): 8:00pm On May 16, 2006
praiiiiiiiiiiiiiseeeeeeeeeeee GGGGGGGGooooooooddddddddddddd

Our old man has finally been retired

It is time to start fishing for someone capable

Should Chris Okotie be ?

grin
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Chxta(m): 8:07pm On May 16, 2006
www.chxta..com

Once again it has been proven to me that there is a God!

Watching the AIT live telecast of the death of the third term bill was a thing of joy for me, and I am sure any well meaning Nigerian. We are proud to be citizens of Naija, and it has been shown that we have people in the right places who know how to do the right things.

The battle has been won, but not the war. If I know someone like Anenih well enough, he may still try something in the stipulated six months. Be that as it may, now that we have proven to the world - and to ourselves that all is not rotten in the State of Denmark, it is time to throw down the gauntlet.

A vacancy will open up in Aso Rock in the next few weeks. Who would fill it?

This question is the major question that should be in our minds over the coming weeks.

Stories abound that IBB is interested. To him I would throw the question he threw at OBJ: What did you forget there that you want to recover?

The truth is this: their generation failed Nigeria. They almost killed our country. We don't need any geriatrics in our corridors of power. People like MT Mbu and Arthur Nzeribe should join OBJ and fade into history. You've had your time. Let the younger ones take over.

We have all seen what can happen in Naija when vibrant minds with fresh ideas are in the right positions. This is an article in today's Independent about Okonjo-Iweala. For the first time in our history, we all have access to the figures of the Federation Account. What El-Rufai is doing here in Abuja even if not nice is what is needed. Soludo has put the banking sector on its feet. Akunyuli has saved only-God-knows-how-many lives.

These people's acheivements are just a tip of the iceberg as concerns what can be done in Naija if we give the right people the right tools to do their jobs. We don't want a scenario where you put a Ciroma who isn't a trained Economist to be Minister of Finance.

Obasanjo has done a relatively good job when you consider the situation the country was in when he came into office. Personally I don't think Falae or Buhari could have done better. But now, the time has come to go, and go he must.

Thank you senate. I think I need a drink. Champagne anyone?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saharareport Alleges Reveal Scams By Umaru Yar’adua Regime / Power: FG To Meet 10, 000mw Target By December – Minister / Full List Of NNPC Senior Staff Retired By Dr. Katch You Nnpc Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.