Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill (5119 Views)

Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / Court Throws-Out Application To Stop Buhari's Inauguration / Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by jibitoye(m): 1:42pm On May 17, 2006
When I first read the news that the bill proposing constitutional amendments had been defeated at the Senate yesterday evening, my heart went out to the great warriors of the crusade against occupational enemies of democracies all over Africa (and by this I mean the Chukwumerijes, the Mamoworas, the Idris Kutas, the Tokunbo Afikuyomis etc. of this world). These are people who have fought gallantly against the machinery of the Presidency and this is also a first in the last seven or so odd years since return to civil rule. No Senate has been able to withstand the onslaught of the Aso Rock machine since 1999.
It is a great day for Nigeria and indeed for black Africa.

Let us be grateful even in victory though for OBJ’s camp in producing a perfect opportunity to entrench our institutions. Someone rightly mentioned that this episode will continue to be understudied by students of political history even a hundred years from now. It will be a reminder that sovereignty does not derive from one person but that it comes from a collective resolve of a people and also that even despite our young democracy with its own retinue of inadequacies; you can not railroad an unpopular wish against a people. That is one of the beauties of representative democracy. You can not plan the future of a nation around one person safe for if we want to revert to a constitutional monarchy.

There is a but though; the battle is not yet over.

We can celebrate but we should not get too drunk and shut our collective eyes to the “political concerts” that lay ahead in the next few months.
And this will ultimately be the test of OBJ’s legacy; the successful hand-over of power to a civilian successor (by a civilian administration) and mark me this will be a first in Nigerian history. This is why I think the battle is not yet over as there will be serious tackling and shuffling. This is more remarkable as there is an apparent dearth of political aspirants ( I may be wrong), and I want to pray the next few months will present us with the opportunity of seeing people coming out to fight for the Presidency. One thing the defeat of this bill will definitely produce is that the political sphere will be free of the near-hopelessness and apparent zero flux of activities within the political parties.

Now that we know (and this we can boldly hold on to) that OBJ is not staying in 2007. I pray our youthful eyes will be open to the political machinations of our politicians. We also need to pray for peace to reign. From the history of political transitions that we know of in Nigeria, it has never been devoid of violence etc.

Who next though? Mr IBB? (IMHO NO!); Mr Atiku? (IMHO NO!). The road is long and windy and definitely exciting, but by God, we will get there as a people. Amen.

Seun, I believe your platform is here to stay and I thank you for the wonderful opportunity this presents for Nigerian youth to share ideas which hopefully and eventually will diffuse into the larger society.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by saints2(f): 1:47pm On May 17, 2006
To God be the Glory,What We have to be thinking now is Where are we going to come 2007? Whats gonna be the Big Story are we not going to be used for some people's interest or selfish desire. Thank God the Pharaoh is vacating come May 29 2007 by 12pm grin

Thanks to all the senetors and all those behind all this.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by lawole: 1:55pm On May 17, 2006
@ All Nairaland

All you guys , as far as am concern the only thing OBJ can do to redeem his batterd image is by restructring INEC and conducting a free,fair and credible elections in 2007. By so doing i think most Nigerians will overlook this TTA nonsense.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 2:39pm On May 17, 2006
lawole:

@ All Nairaland

By so doing i think most Nigerians will overlook this TTA nonsense.

That's the problem with Nigerians. Why should we overlook what has gone before? Why? How then will we learn? It's because of this attitude of ours that people like IBB still call the shots, thereby ensuring the penury of the people.

Anyway, you lot can keep burying your heads in the sand. There is no hope for Nigeria. None. That cursed British invention is doomed. Doomed I tell you! A country with the name provided by Lugard's drunken girlfriend without any regard for the country's people or culture. Rubbish! The great land of the rising sun will rise like a phoenix from the ashes of Nigeria's disintegration. BIAFRA, We Hail Thee!!!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2006
@Nutter

where is your president, Ojukwu?

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by twinstaiye(m): 2:46pm On May 17, 2006
Nutter:

BIAFRA, We Hail Thee!!!
Biaf-what? I beg dont bring another thing into the matter. We want one Nigeria, and no matter how long we get there, we will get there one day.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by DaHitler(m): 2:47pm On May 17, 2006
Speak for yourselve. I do not want one Nigeria. And I am not even Igbo. I am tired of the freakin North getting a free ride. cry
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 2:53pm On May 17, 2006
@Afeni

will you like to join the Ijaws in the Niger-Delta Republic where a better IBB will be the democratically elected president with enough wealth for all.

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 2:59pm On May 17, 2006
twinstaiye:

Biaf-what? I beg don't bring another thing into the matter. We want one Nigeria, and no matter how long we get there, we will get there one day.

Afeni:

Speak for yourselve. I do not want one Nigeria. And I am not even Igbo. I am tired of the freakin North getting a free ride. cry

Thank you jare. Your eyes are open.

IBB:

@Nutter

where is your president, Ojukwu?

Safely away from the clutches of you bad belle pple  cheesy tongue
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 3:05pm On May 17, 2006
@Nutter

oh boy, matsh brake oh!! *clears throat* so ehm, *clears throat* na who be bad belle people? i just hope you are referring to Nigerians and not Niger-Deltans?
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 3:09pm On May 17, 2006
IBB:

@Nutter

oh boy, matsh brake oh!! *clears throat* so ehm, *clears throat* na who be bad belle people? i just hope you are referring to Nigerians and not Niger-Deltans?

Are you now making a distinction between the two? I thought you were for one Nigeria.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 3:19pm On May 17, 2006
@Nutter

do i need to remind you to look look at my signature AGAIN?
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 3:24pm On May 17, 2006
@IBB

Ah, apologies smiley

I have made a mental note to remove you from my line of fire.

More power to the growing independent republics!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by toshmann(m): 3:28pm On May 17, 2006
i thot this thread is for third term tremination. why all this biafra/nigeria stuff.

anyway, i'm  just coming back from a pub where i went to celebrate democracy. this is the 1st democratic exercise in the history of nigeria with victory for the masses against unpopular leadership projects.

for those who say OBJ is great, where was he when 50m naira was being given to each senator as bribe for the 3rd term, where was he when anenih was accused of looting 300m naira meant for federal roads, where is justice when slok airline is grounded b/c the owner opposed the president, abeg the man na crook jare,let him go.

for the guy saying the 3rd term was a plan by OBJ to test our democracy. haha. well, tell that guy that we all followed this 3rd term stuff, so we know how far. if that is a face saving technique for the disgrace of failed 3rd term, tell him i have a better plan to save OBJ's face--let him re-arrange INEC and establish a solid foundation for a democratic free and fair elections. we'll respect him for that. otherwise he is leaving aso rock in eternal disgrace as this event will be studied in lecture rooms by generations yet unborn.

as for the next president. if we have an efficient electoral system,that cant be a problem, but for now, while we are rejoicing, let us watch IBB and Atiku carefully
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by jedkaz(m): 3:36pm On May 17, 2006
Good Radiance to a bad Rubbish, Congratulations to all Nigerians
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 3:40pm On May 17, 2006
@toshmann

you always speak well on some threads where i read your posts. good talk! your grandchildren will call you PAPA with pride.

you can't imagine how many senators came out to confess that they were bribed with N50m to support the TTA. what did OBJ's EFCC do about it? (you know the answer). there are many more flaws by OBJ and for somebody to now say he was only checking the intentions of other contesters and whoever, that is some lame a$$ s**t. but you've got to stand by your party through thick and thin and that is why i don't blame taiyemeji for that comment (when you catch a child trying to steal meat from the pot, he will say he was only counting them to make sure they were complete).

for IBB *smiles at toshmann* and Atiku, hmmmmmmm.

@Nutter

if Nigeria ever decides to break (which might eventually happen some day in the future as a result of ethnic differences), NDR will just have to create a niche for itself.

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by toshmann(m): 3:44pm On May 17, 2006
the national assembly(especially the senate) is the hero of all this saga. we must commend the apparently unbending intergrity of senators uche chukwumerije, afikuyomi,mamora etc(i can't remember them all)our unborn children will read about them. most of all we must commend the senate leadership especially ken nnamani who withstood pressure from aso rock to let the rules of the senate hold.

@ nigerians, congratulations
@democracy,here we come
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 3:48pm On May 17, 2006
IBB:

@Nutter

if Nigeria ever decides to break (which might eventually happen some day in the future as a result of ethnic differences), NDR will just have to create a niche for itself.

cool cool cool
IBB

When that time comes (and it will come), the NDR shall have my full and unwavering support.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by toshmann(m): 3:48pm On May 17, 2006
IBB:

(when you catch a child trying to steal meat from the pot, he will say he was only counting them to make sure they were complete).
IBB

cheesy   haha  cheesy
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 3:54pm On May 17, 2006
@Nutter

*applause* we will drink the oil together from the same oil-well and you will have a visa-free status into the NDR

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by krysty: 4:03pm On May 17, 2006
KUDOS to the senate,history will remember them for doing something good.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by krysty: 4:10pm On May 17, 2006
I am a 26yrs old gradute,and i have never been too proud to be a nigerian untill yeterday,honestly.
LONG LIVE the Senate!History will judge and commend them what they have done for this nation.
God really does answers prayers,He really does.
I have reaffirmed my hope and goodwill in this nation.let's just continue to believe and even better things will happen,for the sake of our children and our childre's children.

long live NIGERIA!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Ashiwaju(m): 4:11pm On May 17, 2006
@ IBB

My Paddi, dis is victory for Democracy and its victory for we the real nigerians exc. doubletaye and co, we are not digressing and we want no biafra, not because i am a coward but simply because i believe that would have some innocent blood, as far as i am concerned, the only war we need to start fighting is killing those Bastard Politicians, one after the other, enough of this anenih and mantu kind of people, we need more of gali naaba, afikuyomi,mamora,chukwu and my darling baby abike dabiri. to make this work and for Mr Nutty abi na wetin u call yahsef, you can continue being nutty outside naija but dont carry your nuttiness back to this country because with ppl like you around, their wont be peace in Nigeria, so contribute your nuttiness to them overthere.

Naija We hail thee, its our home and its our hope, its our future and it must work regardless of our tribe, our beliefs and our norms
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by krysty: 4:11pm On May 17, 2006
I am a 26yrs old gradute,and i have never been too proud to be a nigerian untill yeterday,honestly.
LONG LIVE the Senate!History will judge and commend them what they have done for this nation.
God really does answers prayers,He really does.
I have reaffirmed my hope and goodwill in this nation.let's just continue to believe and even better things will happen,for the sake of our children and our childre's children.

long live NIGERIA!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 4:25pm On May 17, 2006
@Ashi

egbon mii, e ka le!! ki lo n happen? i give 9-ja 3 GBOSA yesterday with 3 bottles of HARP for a job well-done. still, i got my boots on since i don't know this TTA clan's next plan.

for this great nation to remain in peace, the tribalistic issue also has to be buried. i sincerely do not want Nigeria to divide because i already know this land as home and i've seen what happens to people from other countries who survive country-splits. it's never easy to start afresh after working hard and building so much.

abeg, i go soon commot. i need to prepare for tonight's match. my bros told me that his team (Barca) will use the gun of my team (Gunners) to gun them down. that na serious threat!

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 4:29pm On May 17, 2006
IBB:

@Nutter

*applause* we will drink the oil together from the same oil-well and you will have a visa-free status into the NDR

For sure mate. Biafra welcomes you and your kind  cool

BTW, GOOO GUNNEEERS!!! The match is a must-watch!

@Ashiwaju

Right now in Nigerian cities and border towns in countries such as Togo and Benin, the Biafran Pound is being spent! Right now in Nigerian cities and border towns, the Biafran Pound exchanges for 1 Pound to N270! Dey there dey jealous us.

Ashiwaju:

Naija We hail thee, its our home and its our hope, its our future and it must work regardless of our tribe, our beliefs and our norms

Really? Are we talking about the same country here? When the Igbo are routinely massacred in the North because of their religion and their ethnicity, why does your voice fall silent? Rubbish! My friend, when you are ready to call a spade a spade, then I can engage you in a proper dissection of the political situation in your failed republic.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by IBBFan(m): 4:45pm On May 17, 2006
@Ashi & Nutter

2 of una be my personal persons. abeg, make una no start. i no i stand in-between and that's because it affects me on both sides. but if some certain flaws are thrown away, we can make a better home out of this house we were born in.

my men, make una take am easy abeg. wey thread for Arsenal vs Barca sef?
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Nutter(m): 4:52pm On May 17, 2006
I'm ready to tear down all the myths about that country that Ashiwaju may choose to introduce on this thread. I'm on the side of truth so I shall stand firm even if I stand alone. Bring it on!
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by lawole: 4:58pm On May 17, 2006
There is no two ways about it Nigeria is not going to  break up. We just have to learn to live with one another. We shd learn to treat everyone as equal regardless of where you come from. Think about these if we break up what will happen to all the interethnic marriages and children they produce? How are we going to resovle the sharing of properties bc if we breakk up will the Igbo or Hausa man with factories and properties in Lagos put those structures on a trailer and relocated them ?. Like wise will a Yoruba man that has lived and work, all his life, married to an Hausa woman with children and properties in the north just abandon them there?
So we can see that they are many issues that cant never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction if we break up.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Ashiwaju(m): 5:18pm On May 17, 2006
Like IBB don talk, Dont sweat Bro and no Long thing as i dont intend to start with you atall, if ppl like doubletaye has sent that post then i ll figure out what to do. in the mean time, lets celebrate and rejoice for nigeria has come to stay as one nation and if you talk say them kill igbo for north, shey igbo no do the same for east ni haba. its always two side of every story ooo Mr Oga But for peace to reign, i wont start anything

@ IBB

My P Person, how na, which side you dey ooo, Arsenal abi Barca?
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by Aroniyo(m): 5:33pm On May 17, 2006
The manner at which the Senators, especially the anti 3rd term ones, threw away the amendment bill is unexpected of gentlemen they claimed to be. Their behaviour show that they are sentimental about the whole issue. Issue of national importance at that level suppose to be handled devour of emotion and sentiment. It shouldn't be an avenue to settle personal score with the presidency or anybody for that matter. The quetion now is what happens to other over hundred clauses that need to be ammended.Am afarid, the house of Rep. may  copy them and throw away the bill in thier next sitting. If this happen, Guys, we are in again. Back to 1999? God forbid.
Re: Senate Throws Out Third Term Amendment Bill by saintjide: 5:51pm On May 17, 2006
Thank God for the third term bid rejection, but the truth is that i am 100% sure that we are jumping from fry pan to fire, just wtch out and see whats gonna happen next, OBJ wont go down without a fight lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is This Another Method Of 419 Or Real? / Donald Trump; Crowd Of IPOB Supporters Take To The Streets Of Port-Harcourt.PICS / BREAKING!Nigeria Ambassador In China Have Collected All Nigerian Passport Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.