Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? (43907 Views)

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / Best Laptops For Programmers / Uniben Student Develops Antivirus Software For Computers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ciphoenix: 9:04am On Jul 02, 2013
Seun:
I don't have a team of developers (yet), but I have read that the secure boot restriction can be disabled in the BIOS in most cases.

true, it can be disabled. it happens to not be the only problem with dual booting Windows 8 pre-installed systems. the issues are too much IMO
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by kambo(m): 8:28pm On Jul 02, 2013
Seun:
I don't have a team of developers (yet)
i suspected this, going by the ur vacillation on d choice of machine to settle for and d amount of time it's takg u to arrive @ a decision.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Seun(m): 10:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
I've already announced my decision. You should read my previous posts carefully. However, we can still continue the discussion.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by aitoehigie: 10:28pm On Jul 02, 2013
Seun: I've already announced my decision. You should read my previous posts carefully. However, we can still continue the discussion.

Getting a solid laptop like the Lenovo T410 and hooking them up with big external displays via HDMI makes sense. i.e. the "presence" and portability you wanted.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by elvis10ten(m): 11:37pm On Jul 02, 2013
I think what programmers here should do is to say their best laptop and what they hate and love about it. Atleast with that seun can pick.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
R2-D2 or a sonic screwdriver.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 04, 2013
Seun:
I'm not satisfied with the Dell XPS L502x either, because it's an old and discontinued model. Procuring it will be harder in the future. I wish for a future-proof 15/17 inch Laptop model with backlit keys, a non-matte 1080p screen (or 15 inch 900p), SSD, windows 8 and a touch screen or a large multitouch keypad, a core i7 processor, and home/end/pgup/pgdown/del keys.

Stay away from Windows 8.Its the programmers nightmare.There's nothing unique about this OS aside from its name.

Its very strict permission system and incompatibility can increase development time by over 50%.I ve had to give up mine.Cheers

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by tundebabzy: 7:12pm On Jul 04, 2013
Web Contractor:

Stay away from Windows 8.Its the programmers nightmare.There's nothing unique about this OS aside from its name.

Its very strict permission system and incompatibility can increase development time by over 50%.I ve had to give up mine.Cheers

I join to digress.....
Dude, please give specifics and your expression
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
Like I said,Its a personal experience.WAMP Servers are unusually very slow on Windows 8.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Seun(m): 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2013
Web Contractor: Like I said,Its a personal experience. WAMP Servers are unusually very slow on Windows 8.

If you use Windows 8 for development and Linux for deployment, that should not matter at all. WAMP Servers will be fast enough for testing.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by lordZOUGA(m): 2:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
Seun:

If you use Windows 8 for development and Linux for deployment, that should not matter at all. WAMP Servers will be fast enough for testing.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with developing on Linux and deploying on Linux.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by spikesC(m): 11:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
Seun:

Oga, do not develop enterprise applications on unstable platforms.

The only difference in that shiiit called windows 8 is user interface and fast booting.
Afterwards, it's slower than windows 7

When i look at a windows 8 desktop background and theme, i still even see windows 7
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by pendusky(m): 5:59am On Jul 06, 2013
Seun: Fellow Programmers,

I'm looking to select a computer model to be bought for the programmers I'll be recruiting to work on Nairaland and related online ventures.

Which laptop or desktop model would you recommend?

I'm currently most attracted to the N150k Dell XPS 15 L502X which has a quad core i7 cpu, 8GB RAM, 15" 1080p screen, & backlit keys. The only important feature it lacks is a solid state drive, though it's pretty fast without it. It also lacks portability due to it's bulky size and short battery life, but since it won't be taken out of a computer room, that may not matter.

Other laptop models I've looked at: 15" retina MBP (too expensive at 350k+), HP Envy 14-2160SE with 80GB SSD (mediocre 14" HD screen @140k), 13" Macbook Air with a sweet 900p screen and a SSD (too expensive at 250k), HP Elitebook 8770W with SSD and 17" 1080p screen (too expensive at N250k). HP Folio or Dell XPS 13 with SSD, backlit keys, and great battery life but tiny 13 inch screens and wimpy processors. iMac 21.5 inch which is probably too expensive and may require a UPS.

What do you think about the above laptops & desktop and which models would you love to have as a programmer?

did u say too expensivee? lol. i prefer dell laptop, even the core i3 am using doent give me headache.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by idlaw2k3(m): 4:42pm On Jul 06, 2013
cool
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by teemy(m): 11:57pm On Jul 06, 2013
Size/Portability: Except you have a plan for an IT Campus, you should consider that the weight of the PCs should not be too heavy as some jobs would have to be taken home as assignments.

Longeivity: Over time you will discover a need to go for newer models and better equipment and so buying a lot now might not be such a good idea. Some programmers would come with theirs as some people prefer to their own pre-configured PCs. Also just something going on fast and gets the job done might just be enough as a measure of cost saving.

Employees: Consider having resting rooms for overnight jobs as over time some people could make the place living quarters instead of shuttling between work and home.

and erm..... I think I forgot the rest. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Raikishi(m): 11:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
HP Envy Touchsmart e1202ea
8 Hours Battery Life
Core i5
8gb blah blah and more blah but wat really drives it home for me is the development ease
easy code navigation just by touching the portion of the screen i want edited or maybe am just lazy like that
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ciphoenix: 6:23am On Jul 11, 2013
The lenovo IdeaCentre B540. All you could want. Touchscreen too smiley
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by tedjazz(m): 7:43am On Jul 12, 2013
seun pls jst check out the hp spectre ht touchsmart. Its an ultrabook
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Dayzzy(m): 11:19pm On Jul 13, 2013
I wil recommend dat dell oo..it wil give outputs in microseconds..nd dat 8gb??Wil b damn fast compared to my hp 4gb ram..wish i av money to upgrade buh pear-pone on my mind...
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by aniiii(f): 11:27pm On Jul 13, 2013
Apple MacBook Air 13inch ! 250k or 350k

Check it out sir cool

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by spikesC(m): 11:38pm On Jul 13, 2013
aniiii: Apple MacBook Air 13inch ! 250k or 350k

Check it out sir cool

smh
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by johnstar(m): 12:10am On Jul 14, 2013
Seun: Fellow Programmers,

I'm looking to select a computer model to be bought for the programmers I'll be recruiting to work on Nairaland and related online ventures.

Which laptop or desktop model would you recommend?

I'm currently most attracted to the N150k Dell XPS 15 L502X which has a quad core i7 cpu, 8GB RAM, 15" 1080p screen, & backlit keys. The only important feature it lacks is a solid state drive, though it's pretty fast without it. It also lacks portability due to it's bulky size and short battery life, but since it won't be taken out of a computer room, that may not matter.

Other laptop models I've looked at: 15" retina MBP (too expensive at 350k+), HP Envy 14-2160SE with 80GB SSD (mediocre 14" HD screen @140k), 13" Macbook Air with a sweet 900p screen and a SSD (too expensive at 250k), HP Elitebook 8770W with SSD and 17" 1080p screen (too expensive at N250k). HP Folio or Dell XPS 13 with SSD, backlit keys, and great battery life but tiny 13 inch screens and wimpy processors. iMac 21.5 inch which is probably too expensive and may require a UPS.

What do you think about the above laptops & desktop and which models would you love to have as a programmer?
anaye, laptop na laptop, buy any1 wey ur money reach undecided
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by aniiii(f): 1:31am On Jul 14, 2013
spikes C:

smh

why?? are you a stranger to apple products??

I'm not sure on the price I estimated though..

I tried converting pounds to naira..

card scratcher smiley
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Afam4eva(m): 1:38am On Jul 14, 2013
Web Contractor: Like I said,Its a personal experience.WAMP Servers are unusually very slow on Windows 8.
I use WAMP on my windows 8 and it works fine just like when i was using windows 7.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by beethoven: 2:03am On Jul 14, 2013
Seun, The Dell Precision Series might just be what you are looking for.

Check out the specs here: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-laptops
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 3:07am On Jul 14, 2013
Well if you are going to have a desktop why dont u build/assemble it yourself and give it all the power u want.

That way you can give it all the speed/ram/space and juice u want
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by confusion247(m): 3:43am On Jul 14, 2013
teemy: Size/Portability: Except you have a plan for an IT Campus, you should consider that the weight of the PCs should not be too heavy as some jobs would have to be taken home as assignments.

Longeivity: Over time you will discover a need to go for newer models and better equipment and so buying a lot now might not be such a good idea. Some programmers would come with theirs as some people prefer to their own pre-configured PCs. Also just something going on fast and gets the job done might just be enough as a measure of cost saving.

Employees: Consider having resting rooms for overnight jobs as over time some people could make the place living quarters instead of shuttling between work and home.

and erm..... I think I forgot the rest. Cheers
I agree with you.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by adeniyiphemmy(m): 4:45am On Jul 14, 2013
i trust DELL product 4 dat....
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 5:39am On Jul 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
I use WAMP on my windows 8 and it works fine just like when i was using windows 7.

It also depends on the number of queries you re running.With just a few queries,you may not notice any downside.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 14, 2013
Check TOSHIBA laptops, if you can afford the money(they are expensive).
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by rabdeluxe(m): 6:13am On Jul 14, 2013
I have HP Probook for sell 130K only. HP Business 6570b I5 3210M 15.6 500 4 Win8

RAM:4GB SODIMMHDD:500GB
Operating System:Windows 8Processor Speed:2.5 GHz
Screen Size (Addition):15.6
Model:C6Z47UTProcessor:Intel Core i5
MPN:C6Z47UTInternet Connectivity:Wi-Fi
Brand:HP
Webcam, BT and more

This laptop is new and still in its pack. It was shipped 2 days ago. It worth over 170,000+ Naira

Drop your mobile number if interested I will call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians To Represent Africa At The Hacker Olympics / How Many Clients Have You Gotten From Your Web Development Ad On Nairaland? / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.