Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? (43922 Views)

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / Best Laptops For Programmers / Uniben Student Develops Antivirus Software For Computers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by hammedkola(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2013
spikes C: And no one mentioned the dell alienware series embarassed

That thing cost oh!
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by mcdokwe(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2013
Don't say it is expensive. Say you can't afford it
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by fiscalcliff: 6:54am On Jul 14, 2013
Seun: I'm now considering the Dell XPS One 27 Inch All-In-One Desktop.

Advantages:
1) It's a desktop PC. Desktop computers are more comfortable to code on for long periods of time.
2) It so big. This gives it a certain "presence" that even 18 inch gaming laptops cannot hope to match.
3) The screen has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels, which is higher than what you can get on any laptop.
4) The screen is big enough at 27-inches to make the high resolution usable. No DPI scaling is required.

Disadvantages:
1) It's really heavy. You can't easily move it to a colleague's desk to do some pair programming.
2) Unlike laptops, it comes with no built-in UPS, so we may not be able to use it with PHCN.

I go with you on this one Seun
Durability should trump movability even at that small form factor system units exists
The energy costs is something to look out for though
Yet I expect you to have implemented alternate energy supply in the likes of wind power or solar
Dell Precision workstations would have been the way to go but though they are well built,their pricing is pretty steep

I was at this conundrum last year and elected to clone an HDMI capable system unit (3TB,8GB RAM, AMD 3.1 GHz 8 Core black edition) over shipping in a laptop with similar power for insane money
I don't regret my decision even though PHCN's reliability is like a yoyo
My main need for the system is virtualization, however it can be deployed as a mini server,media entertainment center,gaming PC etc in future
Also its upgradeable i.e. processor ,additional disks and memory
Let future needs factor in your decision too
You can get competent system engineers to clone your system
Quality structured cabling will give you a neat work environment and mini chassis casings a less bulky appearance
As long as you purchase boxed high end components, you are in for a treat
Wish you the best in your final decision

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by greatgeo(m): 7:18am On Jul 14, 2013
spikes C: And no one mentioned the dell alienware series embarassed
dont go there their system is way too expensive for the budget.alienware lappy na die imagine buying a system that cost up to 1.2m u can check their website sha
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ndavids5(m): 7:21am On Jul 14, 2013
Hello @Seun, i suggest u go for any HP or ELITE quard core i5 or i7 with a very high processor and RAM speed, also make sure its UK product though, might more expensive compare to other countries.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ZN2: 7:53am On Jul 14, 2013
Just to clear the air on the Secure Boot.

It's actually an advantage, not a restriction.
http://www.howtogeek.com/149254/if-i-buy-a-computer-with-windows-8-and-secure-boot-can-i-still-install-linux/
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by dokunbam(m): 7:58am On Jul 14, 2013
aminho: Oga I wll prefer the dell xps 15 its so good
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by PStacks(m): 8:04am On Jul 14, 2013
All I know is that my HP Pavillion dv 5-1388nr Entertainment Notebook PC, with HP Media smart, core 2 duo, windows Vista, home premium.. Its my PlayStation, its my WorkStation.

It Has never disappointed me.
Always up and doing. Hit her up and she's good to go.
Its always there for me, its so faithful, so loyal and very reliable.. Its my life, its my everything, its what I live for. I'm a bad romantic and I love my HP Pavillon like crazy.
When my kid brother broke the screen, I almost wept, not because I couldn't change it but because I love my gadgets intact just the way it was when my uncle brought it for me from Texas and when it comes to computers, I think HP is and established Household name.

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by sova(m): 8:10am On Jul 14, 2013
am sorry if am diverting d topic. wil lov to knw hw much it wl cost to be train on programing language
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Pins(m): 8:10am On Jul 14, 2013
Toshiba satellite.it has the following features;
1 large screen.
2 3.00gb ram
3 282gb hard disk drive
4 64 bit processor
5 dual core.

Price is 200k.
That is what i use 4 my programming.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by roselynbas(f): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2013
lordZOUGA: I think you should consider the Lenovo ThinkPad T series. ThinkPad T530. it comes in different configurations, ranging from core i3 to i7. it should be a good choice.

or you can check the dell xps 13 developer edition laptop. it was built for developers and comes with ubuntu as the main OS.

i concur! the ibm lenovo thinkpad is my choice anytime any day!
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by roselynbas(f): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2013
Pins: Toshiba satellite.it has the following features;
1 large screen.
2 3.00gb ram
3 282gb hard disk drive
4 64 bit processor
5 dual core.

Price is 200k.

what?! are u serious?! who sold this to you?
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by roselynbas(f): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2013
P.Stacks:
All I know is that my HP Pavillion dv 5-1388nr Entertainment Notebook PC, with HP Media smart, core 2 duo, windows Vista, home premium.. Its my PlayStation, its my WorkStation.

It Has never disappointed me.
Always up and doing. Hit her up and she's good to go.
Its always there for me, its so faithful, so loyal and very reliable.. Its my life, its my everything, its what I live for. I'm a bad romantic and I love my HP Pavillon like crazy.
When my kid brother broke the screen, I almost wept, not because I couldn't change it but because I love my gadgets intact just the way it was when my uncle brought it for me from Texas and when it comes to computers, I think HP is and established Household name.

story, story! wait until it begins the mother board problems!
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Youngzedd(m): 8:27am On Jul 14, 2013
Weti dey vex me na the too expensive Seun is using on his post. That doesn't make any sense upon all the money He dey gather here.

Seun fell my hand full time.

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Youngzedd(m): 8:32am On Jul 14, 2013
roselynbas:

what?! are u serious?! who sold this to you?

No mind him, all na programmer, see the rubbish laptop a so called programmer is using.

200K ni.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by crown777(m): 8:35am On Jul 14, 2013
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by olalekanba(m): 8:53am On Jul 14, 2013
I prefer the Samsung laptop ATIV Book 8 15.6" Touch-Screen - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive below.

The chronos series 7 that I used before runs up to 5 hrs on battery.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ATIV+Book+8+15.6%22+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/8965053.p?id=1218957864443&skuId=8965053&st=NP880Z5E-X01UB&cp=1&lp=1

If you are not satisfied you can upgrade the RAM to 16 gb and change the HDD to Solid State.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NHAEXE/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MZAW1C/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also because its very slim just like Mac book Pro retina display, it does doesn't come with internal drive but you can order one for $30
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HUMYCO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE - You will notice significant improvement if you can change the internal HDD to solid State, my former Samsung Chronos Series 7 comes with 750gb HDD. What I did was to remove it and put 250gb SSD and turned the 750gb Hdd to external HDD. After this the laptop boots to windows within 10-15 sec and I also notice better improvement in general speed and battery life of the laptop.

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 14, 2013
hp pavillon
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by rabdeluxe(m): 9:07am On Jul 14, 2013
Is there anyone willing to buy SSD 512G ?? Please drop your number.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ciphoenix: 9:09am On Jul 14, 2013
greatgeo:
dont go there their system is way too expensive for the budget.alienware lappy na die imagine buying a system that cost up to 1.2m u can check their website sha
you don't have to click on the most expensive option at every point during customization
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by ciphoenix: 9:12am On Jul 14, 2013
Pins: Toshiba satellite.it has the following features;
1 large screen.
2 3.00gb ram
3 282gb hard disk drive
4 64 bit processor
5 dual core.

Price is 200k.
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by aitoehigie: 9:22am On Jul 14, 2013
rabdeluxe: Is there anyone willing to buy SSD 512G ?? Please drop your number.
08029401212. Call
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by olalekanba(m): 9:24am On Jul 14, 2013
rabdeluxe: Is there anyone willing to buy SSD 512G ?? Please drop your number.

olalekanbabs@yahoo.com
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by stainless750: 9:27am On Jul 14, 2013
If you have the money , simply go for macbook . Macbook got all u need for your program. No lapy can challenge mac in any way. Battry long life, ur sceen can't hang in the prosses of ur work you can leave on for a montge without turning off and yet nothing happen to it, it can't even get hot like some of lapy does when keot longer on light.. And somany reason for u to go for macbook. If all laptop are the same ? Where is ur own macbook. It can never be like macbook unless it's macbook. Think wise and make the right choice.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 14, 2013
Am still reading the whole post in this thread, is there a conclusion yet ?

I used to be a programmer until I gave up to easy money job, now I want to go back, hope am not late undecided cheesy

Very good with Visual Basic.....na there I stop.

embarassed
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by freenature: 10:02am On Jul 14, 2013
If u want a bad ass systemm suitable for programming , i'll advise you go for Lenovo Thinkpad, its the best for programming.
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by spikesC(m): 10:08am On Jul 14, 2013
aniiii:

why?? are you a stranger to apple products??

I'm not sure on the price I estimated though..

I tried converting pounds to naira..

card scratcher smiley

Apple laptops are not good for programing tongue
And the price is way beyond seun's budget
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by spikesC(m): 10:11am On Jul 14, 2013
greatgeo:

ah ah, which one come be 1.2m grin

Even custom builds are not up to $2500
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by denzel2009: 10:18am On Jul 14, 2013
aitoehigie:

Getting a solid laptop like the Lenovo T410 and hooking them up with big external displays via HDMI makes sense. i.e. the "presence" and portability you wanted.

Why should he go for the T410 while he can go for the T430 on which he can have his desired SSD plus the regular HDD with backlit keyboard to boot.

IMHO, they are the best laptop to use in hot regions like Nigeria, they never get hot and you spill liquid on them, they have got drains!
Re: Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? by seunlayi(m): 10:27am On Jul 14, 2013
I have a pentium 1 which I can give u for free. Lolz. Better put the word expensive aside and go for the Dell.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians To Represent Africa At The Hacker Olympics / How Many Clients Have You Gotten From Your Web Development Ad On Nairaland? / High Profile Twitter Accounts Hacked By Bitcoin Scammers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.