Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,609 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts (4091 Views)

Labaran Maku Disgraced At June 12 20th Anniversary / OPC 20th Anniversary Of June 12 (Pictures) / M.K.O Abiola And June 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
Abiola was anything but a hero, He was elevated and destroyed by the military

1 Like

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by ichidodo: 2:04pm On Jun 12, 2013
My thoughts? It was hell, never knew teargas was so painful to the eyes, never even knew what the ruckus was all about though i sensed the tension on that beautiful morning and scampered away for dear life during the rioting on that very sunny afternoon/evening. I was just 7 and half years old.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Kingspin(m): 2:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
June 12 should be remembered as well and we can use the tools to ask to amend,upgrade and expand our young democracy in terms of free & fair election,development,human right etc.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by moodswing(m): 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
And for your information. Nigerians did not protest June 12 Annulment. But Lagosians started an opportunistic riot, looted non Yoruba's and made life unbearable to an extent that almost 80% of Igbo's dwelling in Lagos had to smuggle themselves out.

A lot of people made sacrifices for democracy. Abiola died trying to quench his hunger for power.

If he loved Nigeria like some claim he does. Why did he connive with the enemies to defraud us?.

God's will was done, and that's all there is to June 12

1 Like

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Starlett: 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2013
talk2macs: Abiola was anything but a hero, He was elevated and destroyed by the military

Any proof of the first part of your comment?
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Afam4eva(m): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
June 12 should be remembered as one of those small events that has happened in the country but i think people are over-bloating the relevance of that day. Do you know that June 12 is even more talked about than the civil war? That's hypocrisy if you ask me. You will even hear people saying things like "MKO sacrificed his life for democracy". he sacrificed his life for himself. MKO and democracy should never be in the same sentence. It's unfortunate that a lot of kids these days are thought to believe that Abiola was a hero. He was very far from it. We have to learn to seperate the june 12 saga from the person of Abiola even though both look like inseparable siamese twins.

1 Like

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by kingsle66(m): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
I Thought they said igbos should forget the war?? Why can't yorubas forget june12 ? undecided

2 Likes

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 12, 2013
For people saying Abiola was bad and evil................ No one is perfect and he surely had his imperfections but had he become president, he won't be as inept as Abacha, IBB, Obasanjo or Jonathan...

MKO was vibrant, very intelligent, had an aura of great presence, and he was a giver to the core.....

He was extremely generous...... He gave and gave and believed in giving... He believed the giver is always on top....

You need love to give... If you love, you will definitely be a great leader.

How many of our so called thieves ( old politicians that enriched themselves with our money) are givers or have changed people's lives their their ill-gotten wealth? Remember Abiola set up companies and employed numerous people with his wealth.

If he gave and invested in his country ( sense of patriotism), why do you lot think those qualities aren't enough to make him a great leader?

@Ikwere militant, 2day, Yoruba people are celebrating a giver, a man that wasn't perfect but yet influenced his society with his wealth.

2day, we celebrate an entrepreneur, a job provider, and a man that won one of the fairest elections ever held in Africa.

To identify with June 12 is to identify with what is free and fair.

To identify with June 12 is to identify with unity. Nigerians all over left behind their tribal differences to vote for the man of the people.

MKO Rip.... Nigerians mistook your passion to change their lives for personal greed.

P.S... I find it sad that most politicians coming out to condemn MKO are mostly politicians that are hiding billions in an unknown account overseas and are of no use to even the village they come from. I also find it sad that some deluded Nigerians are listening to them.

2 Likes

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Pedagogue: 2:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
From the comments and LIKES I have seen here today, it is clear that the future of Nigeria is very BLEAK!!!

If all Dese comments flew from the fingers of 'supposed' educated youths, what more can one expect from illiterates?

Many do not know anything about MKO Abiola and the events before and after June 12, 1993!!!

Since this thread needs contributions on June 12 and not Abiola, I will limit myself to same!!!!
June 12 is the day democracy was birthed in Nigeria...the electoral credibility that is the hallmark of a constitutional democracy was fulfilled!!! From d North down to d South, Nigerians majorly voted for a change and ABIOLA encompassed the change Nigerians hoped for!

But what happened, some goons who were arguably not more than 5 sat down in an air conditioned room and decided to annul / cancel the decision that millions of Nigerians took under the scorching sun !!!

Rather than discuss objectively and ensure we learn from history, most comments here are not about the significance of June 12, neither are they about the injustice of June 12..rather, most comments here are about Abiola's 'evil deeds' !!!

There are many educated Nigerians but only few are intelligent!!!

3 Likes

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by notinmege: 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Though painful indeed; but what exactly do they advocates of June 12 want?

That the winner should come from the grave and start ruling Nigeria? (RIP, jaree)
That the first son of the winner should start ruling in place of his father without personally contesting?
That winner's family should pack to Aso Villa and start living there for ever?
That the winner's generation be given an everlasting immunity clause?
That FG should donate 15 Billion Dollars to the family & advocates?

Will all these lead us to our promise land?
After all, almost all those associated with his death are gone.
Nigeria, my dear Nigeria, for how long, how long? eeeeehhhhhhhh?
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Starlett: 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
kingsle66: I Thought they said igbos should forget the war?? Why can't yorubas forget june12 ? undecided

Whhaaaat?? Whoever said that? Nobody should forget the Biafran war, please! Not even those who fought on the Nigerian side. Else that would be a sure way of going down the path to another civil war speedily.

See guys, we can afford to learn from history without allowing the scars to blind us from the opportunities of today.
That's my take.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by creativemusic: 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2013
A historical day Nigeria will never forget grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by princesammmy: 2:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
We are tired of hearing about June 12. Is that the greatest event that has happened in Nigeria?
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by kamelonaire(m): 2:54pm On Jun 12, 2013
we can never forget dat day. It happen june 12 igbo, yoruba nd hawusa killin each other it a day remembering
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by misterseed(m): 3:03pm On Jun 12, 2013
June 12 remains the pain of the nation. The Ghost has refused to die. Reason is, the majority still do not have a say except they force it down via protests and strikes.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
Maxymilliano: The SDP's "Farewell To Poverty" Election Refrain

On The March Again

On The March Again

Looking For Mr President

On The March Again

MKO! Is The Man o

=============

My Brother, Wetin You Dey Think o

My Sister, Helep Don Come

SDP, MKO, Kingibe Action

MKO, Kingibe SDP Progress

Abiola Na The Hope o

SDP Na The Party

To Solve Our Problems

And Better Our Lives o

MKO, MKO, MKO Action

Abiola, Abiola, Abiola Progress!

Na him Be The Hope o

For Better Tomorrow!
Na wa for this life o

Na so so palaver

I tire for ds problem

I tire for life o

Ogini?

No work no food no house no lite

the small water dem dey bring nan so os dirty dey full am

The small money i dey get

Na so so transport dey chop am

Haba! school o na headache

Hospital no work

I tire for life

My brother wetin u dey think o

My sister helep don come

SDP MKO Kingibe, Action

Abiola Abiola Abiola, progress

Abiola na d hope o, SDP na d party to solve our problems and better our life ooo

MKO MKO MKO , Action

Abiola Abiola Abiola progress

Na him be d hope o for better tomorrow

1 Like

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by babaireti(m): 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2013
Nigerians and their sentiments based on ethnicity and tribal bigotry,which has always kept us stagnant nationally,Ghana would always celebrate NKRUMAH,S/Africa would always celebrate MANDELA,Tanzania would always celebrate NYERERE despite their multicultural and religious background,but here we are,Yorubas Vs Hausas Vs Igbos and all sorts which has always hindered our national unity.June 12 issue was not all about Abiola or the Yorubas,but the entire Nigerians who were groaning under bad leadership as manifested in our underdevelopment,infrastructural decay,joblessness and insecurity and they wanted a CHANGE,they wanted to remedy the abnormalities,and move forward,but someone somewhere,out of selfish reason hijacked that mandate and plunged us into a deeper national mess which obviously is getting harder to get out up till date,and Nigerians are still trading tribal war on Nairaland,definitely! we have not learned our lesson.If all other group believed that the Yorubas are the worst affected by the power play,then you are wrong,because the Yorubas are immuned and irrepressible and little wonders why we are far ahead of others,we will continue to be in the opposition and fighting for our rights and we will always get it,while others remain complacent in their follow follow politics .
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by striker07(m): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
many comments being placed here shows lack of intelligence by many people, who really dont know much about abiola but based thier assertion on a mere beer palour discussion. this is about will of millions of nigerians being subverted by some few military men,people should learn to exhibit intelligence in a discourse.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 12, 2013
Afam4eva: June 12 should be remembered as one of those small events that has happened in the country but i think people are over-bloating the relevance of that day. Do you know that June 12 is even more talked about than the civil war? That's hypocrisy if you ask me. You will even hear people saying things like "MKO sacrificed his life for democracy". he sacrificed his life for himself. MKO and democracy should never be in the same sentence. It's unfortunate that a lot of kids these days are thought to believe that Abiola was a hero. He was very far from it. We have to learn to seperate the june 12 saga from the person of Abiola even though both look like inseparable siamese twins.
DuDe,
U speak outa context so many times and ur assertions are mostly incorrigible even ur home-folks could bear witness to all these (a thread where u lambasted other homeboys as pseudo-illiterates but Enugu's) !!!

As a MOD on Nairaland,u can check and cross-check the number of threads on June 12 and that of BIAFRA ::::::::Stop playing victim card everytime others are celebrating their Hero-------what is Biafra and June 12 !!!!

Each events in Nigeria has its significance and when such should be discussed -----U may even wanto be criticising OCT 1st as being over-bloated cuz it is a small event as Independent Day !!!

And Remember one Hero who stood and Died for his Mandate---His Belief despite having the wealth and largesse to abscond while we would also Remembered the one who absconded @ the slightest opportunity after more than 3million has been sacrificed for ill-prepared course and more were left to channelled their lifes as they deemfit when the Commander-in-Chief left them in Vain !!!

Bigotry of the highest order !!!

3 Likes

Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
baba ireti: Nigerians and their sentiments based on ethnicity and tribal bigotry,which has always kept us stagnant nationally,Ghana would always celebrate NKRUMAH,S/Africa would always celebrate MANDELA,Tanzania would always celebrate NYERERE despite their multicultural and religious background,but here we are,Yorubas Vs Hausas Vs Igbos and all sorts which has always hindered our national unity.June 12 issue was not all about Abiola or the Yorubas,but the entire Nigerians who were groaning under bad leadership as manifested in our underdevelopment,infrastructural decay,joblessness and insecurity and they wanted a CHANGE,they wanted to remedy the abnormalities,and move forward,but someone somewhere,out of selfish reason hijacked that mandate and plunged us into a deeper national mess which obviously is getting harder to get out up till date,and Nigerians are still trading tribal war on Nairaland,definitely! we have not learned our lesson.If all other group believed that the Yorubas are the worst affected by the power play,then you are wrong,because the Yorubas are immuned and irrepressible and little wonders why we are far ahead of others,we will continue to be in the opposition and fighting for our rights and we will always get it,while others remain complacent in their follow follow politics .

It shall b well wt u 4 dis comment!

Jst like som1 else said dat 'd future of dis country is bleak'

I am afraid to say bleak indeed d future is

Jst because som responders here were not born then or belonged to a different tribe than Abiola's or Yoruba's n av been fed wt tribal n ethno-religious bigotry hence dey r won't to urge us 2 consign d symbolism of June 12 not even d man Abiola to dust-bin of history!

Little wonder we r like dis as a country n seem never to av learnt anytyn just as we avnt learnt anytyn frm d civil war

D signs r indeed ominious against 2015 wt d body lang of dramatis personae in d polity

Whereas som reactionary n status-quo conservatives who r eternally fearful of a free n fair election r beginning to show d same prevarication d military showed then with a view to either not accepting d result if it dosnt favour dem or truncate d entire process
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

How does your homily above change the fact that MKO was a fraud, a coup plotter, and an embezzler of public funds?

Are you a f00l? I'm just asking, how can you say a person that never held a public office stole public funds. Sorry.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2013

On The March Again

On The March Again

Looking For Mr President

On The March Again

MKO! Is The Man o

=============

SDP, MKO, Kingibe Action

Abiola Na The Hope o

SDP Na The Party

To Solve Our Problems

And Better Our Lives o

MKO, MKO, MKO Action

Na him Be The Hope o

For Better Tomorrow!
I remember this jingle on NTA Network News. Those days when there were no private stations, and state-owned ones hooked up to NTA at 9pm.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by dandollaz: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
June 12 oso Abiola .I think if he had not made that comment "I can do without igbos" he might still be alive n probably president of Nigeria. Yorubas should learn from this.tnx
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by lilytender: 9:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
Mistade Regal:
Who told you he is the man? Don't you know he hates Christians?

Everything you say or do must always be religious or ethnic. You will never vote Buhari becos he is a muslim yet GEJ is president when christians are killed everyday in the north. You hate muslims but you won't mind being Dangote's financial adviser.
Re: June 12 20TH Anniversary: Drop Your Thoughts by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:27pm On Jun 12, 2013

On The March Again

On The March Again

Looking For Mr President

On The March Again

MKO! Is The Man o

=============

SDP, MKO, Kingibe Action

Abiola Na The Hope o

SDP Na The Party

To Solve Our Problems

And Better Our Lives o

MKO, MKO, MKO Action

Na him Be The Hope o

For Better Tomorrow!
waoooooo........goose pimples....u jst took ma memory baaaack.... I tink i still rememba dat song. I was 3 den.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Very Beautiful 300L UNIABUJA Student Died In The Bomb Blast / Yoruba Pull Him Down Syndrome…yoruba Ronu!!! / South To Unite, Yorubas To Vote Massively For Igbo President In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.