Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:08 AM

Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? (5205 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Joint Account With My Spouse? / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by NoQualms1(f): 9:13am On Jun 14, 2013
MMotimo: I' m really not inclined to get into a long drawn out argument here but have to comment because of this

100% of my earnings go into the same joint account 100% of his own earnings does and each person has equal, unlimited access.

Wow!!! Thumbs up. I can't do that.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by vivianc(f): 11:39am On Jun 14, 2013
I can, but I won't. I'm not married anyway, but having a joint account was someThing I always Thought I would do, but I found a betTer option.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by badoist(m): 11:47am On Jun 14, 2013
No, it's not very good for a husband and a wife to operate a joint account, even though it depends on the parties involved.

I would have this to say: "The husband is the head of the family and should truly be head to everything, including finanancial spending" so why must he be interested in the wife's money.

The woman should be allowed to use her money as it pleases her and the husband's own must be for the family's upkeep.

Death is inevitable and so what might happen after one partner dies should be considered, so that accounts should be operated separately.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 14, 2013
In my former contribution as regards this thread, what is a joint account?
Joint account is a bank account shared by two or more individuals. Any individual who is a member of the joint account can withdraw from the account and deposit to it. Usually, joint accounts are shared between close relatives or business partners.
Joint accounts are often created in order to avoid probate.[1] If two individuals open a joint account and one of them dies, the other person is entitled to the remaining balance and liable for the debt of that account.
Sometimes a temporary joint account is opened by two parties entering into a transaction where one party needs a security for the fulfillment of the transaction and the other party has to pay the sum (deposit), being the security for the other party. Any payment from the joint account, or return of the deposit from the joint account, will only be possible if both parties sign a joint written instruction to the bank. It is not possible that only one of the parties gives instruction for payments of the joint account.
You can use this definition to make an informed choice
On forms given by banks, there are columns of mandate, to signify either both should have access or not.
In my case having a joint account with my wife, does not translate in expecting her to contribute to the account or not.
She keeps the checks, ATM cards of our home keeping funds, and longtime family project funds, sms alert to these fund are channeled to my phone numbers. But for my business accounts its the same, any to sign, but i keep the checks, ATM cards, and another Account i signifies two to sign, but three signatures was written, mine, my wife, my manager in salary situation when i am not around. I believe that life is not like a steel chain, that can not break.
These measures is to avoid probate. REMEMBER MILLIONS OF NAIRA ARE TRAPPED IN MANY NIGERIA BANKS, IN USE AS THEY LIKE
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2013
byvan:

Am awake now,go on madam Jide.

*stretches* go on kę ? I'm in bed too smiley

My question goes... so now you're not working right? And you are more or less dependent on your hubby's earning hence the joint account you adopted and operate .......so when you eventually secure a job of your own after service or whenever you're ready..... you will still operate joint account correct?

Because.... ??
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 1:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
I would have this to say: "The husband is the head of the family and should truly be head to everything, including finanancial spending" so why must he be interested in the wife's money.

The woman should be allowed to use her money as it pleases her and the husband's own must be for the family's upkeep.

grin grin grin

In other words...

Man: My money; our Money
Woman: My Money : MY MONEY
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 1:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
indigene: In my former contribution as regards this thread, what is a joint account?
Joint account is a bank account shared by two or more individuals. Any individual who is a member of the joint account can withdraw from the account and deposit to it. Usually, joint accounts are shared between close relatives or business partners.
Joint accounts are often created in order to avoid probate.[1] If two individuals open a joint account and one of them dies, the other person is entitled to the remaining balance and liable for the debt of that account.
Sometimes a temporary joint account is opened by two parties entering into a transaction where one party needs a security for the fulfillment of the transaction and the other party has to pay the sum (deposit), being the security for the other party. Any payment from the joint account, or return of the deposit from the joint account, will only be possible if both parties sign a joint written instruction to the bank. It is not possible that only one of the parties gives instruction for payments of the joint account.
You can use this definition to make an informed choice
On forms given by banks, there are columns of mandate, to signify either both should have access or not.
In my case having a joint account with my wife, does not translate in expecting her to contribute to the account or not.
She keeps the checks, ATM cards of our home keeping funds, and longtime family project funds, sms alert to these fund are channeled to my phone numbers. But for my business accounts its the same, any to sign, but i keep the checks, ATM cards, and another Account i signifies two to sign, but three signatures was written, mine, my wife, my manager in salary situation when i am not around. I believe that life is not like a steel chain, that can not break.
These measures is to avoid probate. REMEMBER MILLIONS OF NAIRA ARE TRAPPED IN MANY NIGERIA BANKS, IN USE AS THEY LIKE

If i may ask u a question, can your wife question u on any financial decision you are about to make or she is more/lesss an executor of pre-agreed instructions?
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2013
If you went through my post, I never stated that we operate a joint account,i said I have free access to the incomes as I manage the funds . There is no privacy to our personal accounts as we jointly use them alternatively.I made it clear that I have no qualms about having a joint account with my husband if he initiates it(when I start working).

Because Because he has proven himself worthy worthy.Yes,the famous "people change "mantra comes to mind but then one can never be too secure about life no matter the iron clad plans put in place . Life itself is a risk,we can't be too sure about anything but then being scared of living it is riskier.

I have decided to enjoy my life ridding myself of all stereotypes associated with marriage,until my approach to my marriage becomes ineffective,am stuck on it.I have made many choices in life and am yet to be screwed by them,the people that claim to be all knowing are the ones fumbling with theirs.

This earlier post is the basis of this discussion"The person you married will forge how you feel about this issue,if you are married to a man that wants to control everything and answers to non like babyosisi said please don't do it".One size can never fit all
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by bukatyne(f): 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
byvan: If you went through my post, I never stated that we operate a joint account,i said I have free access to the incomes as I manage the funds . There is no privacy to our personal accounts as we jointly use them alternatively.I made it clear that I have no qualms about having a joint account with my husband if he initiates it(when I start working).

Because Because he has proven himself worthy worthy.Yes,the famous "people change "mantra comes to mind but then one can never be too securIe about life no matter the iron clad plans put in place . Life itself is a risk,we can't be too sure about anything but then being scared of living it is riskier.

I have decided to enjoy my life ridding myself of all stereotypes associated with marriage,until my approach to my marriage becomes ineffective,am stuck on it.I have made many choices in life and am yet to be screwed by them,the people that claim to be all knowing are the ones fumbling with theirs.

This earlier post is the basis of this discussion"The person you married will forge how you feel about this issue,if you are married to a man that wants to control everything and answers to non like babyosisi said please don't do it".One size can never fit all

The bolded is very beautiful kiss
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 14, 2013
Byvan , I aimed the question at you because I thought you operate joint account, and because osisi questioned you.

And I want to come to terms with my assertion and experiment about those who practise it, more so I won't throw just Trust into the mix as the only reason people do it , or you'd be questioning a lot of marriage's fidelity here.

Oh well ,I guess I don't need to ask the next & important question anymore since you've made it known that you don't operate joint account afterall you still receive a direct deposit from service abi you bailed after camp like me grin ( I actually vividly remember the bank they paid into for 1year grin) .... just kidding you don't have to answer that.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by damiso(f): 3:13pm On Jun 14, 2013
byvan: If you went through my post, I never stated that we operate a joint account,i said I have free access to the incomes as I manage the funds . There is no privacy to our personal accounts as we jointly use them alternatively.I made it clear that I have no qualms about having a joint account with my husband if he initiates it(when I start working).

Because Because he has proven himself worthy worthy.Yes,the famous "people change "mantra comes to mind but then one can never be too secure about life no matter the iron clad plans put in place . Life itself is a risk,we can't be too sure about anything but then being scared of living it is riskier.

I like this.Most opposers of the idea(remember I too operate a joint account that I pay into from MY personal account too grin) I think we need to agree that marriage is not one size fits all.I agree with byvan that stereotyping what MIGHT happen in marriage causes issues in some marriages.The joint account thing might work for some people so lets not knock it cos we cant or wont do it.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by damiso(f): 3:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
jidegirl12: Byvan , I aimed the question at you because I thought you operate joint account, and because osisi questioned you.

And I want to come to terms with my assertion and experiment about those who practise it, more so I won't throw just Trust into the mix as the only reason people do it , or you'd be questioning a lot of marriage's fidelity here.

Oh well ,I guess I don't need to ask the next & important question anymore since you've made

it known that you don't operate joint account afterall you still receive a direct deposit from service abi you bailed after camp like me grin ( I actually vividly remember the bank they paid into for 1year grin) .... just kidding you don't have to answer that.

Just saw this, jidegirl ignore my last post grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 14, 2013
X
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
@Jide, No we don't have a joint account, they are personal accounts in which the proceeds are jointly massacredgrin.Abeg my fed allawee account deyooo,i no bail grin. We plan to leave it untouched throughout the service year,let it cool off from federal stress.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Abali1(m): 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2013
byvan: If I have free access to my husband's income as a non income earner,there is no way I ll have any difficulty having a joint account with him when I start earning . I mean,we have personal accounts but he uses all the accounts we both own,just as I keep the ATM's as his accountant cool.

Everything depends on the kind of man you married ,If you are married to a man that places much regard on material things,then having a joint account is not ideal.A greedy person is no one to have a joint account with,just know who you are married to,thats what determines if you can consider a joint account or not. Committed couples will barely think of who earns more or less,when there is trust everything works for good.
After what happened when dad died and how difficult it was to get his money in the bank up till this moment, I have decided I will never put any woman I marry through that stress.
Not necessarily Joint account, but she will have my ATM pin and free access to my account. (afterall there is a daily limit withdrawal)
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abali1:
After what happened when dad died and how difficult it was to get his money in the bank up till this moment, I have decided I will never put any woman I marry through that stress.
Not necessarily Joint account, but she will have my ATM pin and free access to my account. (afterall there is a daily limit withdrawal)

This is an interesting topic of it's own that needs to be discussed
Nigerians generally are very secretive and it can have damaging after effects
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by MMotimo: 5:05pm On Jun 14, 2013
damiso:

I like this.Most opposers of the idea(remember I too operate a joint account that I pay into from MY personal account too grin) I think we need to agree that marriage is not one size fits all.I agree with byvan that stereotyping what MIGHT happen in marriage causes issues in some marriages.The joint account thing might work for some people so lets not knock it cos we cant or wont do it.

This, right there, is a big challenge for a lot of Naijas, male or female
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by damiso(f): 5:51pm On Jun 14, 2013
MMotimo:

This, right there, is a big challenge for a lot of Naijas, male or female
We too like moni grin grin grin grin.Gosh....I am guilty too to an extent.The backdrop of most things for a typical Nigerian has currency signs attached to it. wink
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 6:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abali1:

too much probate stress wahala in naija cry cry
And they will chop ten percent of your money to give you letter of administration
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2013
biolabee:

If i may ask u a question, can your wife question u on any financial decision you are about to make or she is more/lesss an executor of pre-agreed instructions?

I and my wife entered into marriage based on partnership, love and respect for each other, she has proved to to a capable wife ( bible book of Proverbs 31:10-31), I don't see her as an object acquired to be seen and not to be heard.
She has rights to her opinion/s just like my children, and so I consults her on several matters that may affect our family, she can express her concerns, But decision is incumbent upon me.Hence she have come to respect and appreciate my decision, even when they decision went wrong, I do accept responsibilty.In matters of my personal business matter, I haven't bothered her for her opinion but may give her a clue on certain business issues, which will benefit my family in my absence
I have lived life not be to careless or carefree as life is an iron wheel made of chain, to that effect, As a proactive person I offer solution and stop troubles before it rears its head .
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2013
indigene:
I and my wife entered into marriage based on partnership, love and respect for each other, she has proved to to a capable wife ( bible book of Proverbs 31:10-31), I don't see her as an object acquired to be seen and not to be heard.
She has rights to her opinion/s just like my children, and so I consults her on several matters that may affect our family, she can express her concerns, But decision is incumbent upon me.Hence she have come to respect and appreciate my decision, even when they decision went wrong, I do accept responsibilty.In matters of my personal business matter, I haven't bothered her for her opinion but may give her a clue on certain business issues, which will benefit my family in my absence
I have lived life not be to careless or carefree as life is an iron wheel made of chain, to that effect, As a proactive person I offer solution and stop troubles before it rears its head .

Thanks for your response...
Wish you guys all the best smiley
Love the reciprocity
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Stegomiah: 12:17pm On Jun 22, 2013
vivianc: I can, but I won't. I'm not married anyway, but having a joint account was someThing I always Thought I would do, but I found a betTer option.

What was the better option?
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Stegomiah: 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2013
biolabee:

grin grin grin

In other words...

Man: My money; our Money
Woman: My Money : MY MONEY

You are wrong, not all women!

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 12:51pm On Jun 22, 2013
Stegomiah:

You are wrong, not all women!

No im not, read the woman who pilfers her husbands wallet and see the comments of the females

https://www.nairaland.com/1324044/ee

Most saw nothing wrong in taking money from their husbands wallet without his consent or knowledge
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Stegomiah: 2:47pm On Jun 22, 2013
biolabee:

No im not, read the woman who pilfers her husbands wallet and see the comments of the females

https://www.nairaland.com/1324044/ee

Most saw nothing wrong in taking money from their husbands wallet without his consent or knowledge

And it was on this same forum, i read a thread about women being the breadwinner of a family!
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2013
Stegomiah:

And it was on this same forum, i read a thread about women being the breadwinner of a family!

hmmm.... generally women are used to the finer things of life being provided by a pocket but their own
When they were single
Still when they are married

Of course there are exceptions to all rules
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Stegomiah: 4:08pm On Jun 22, 2013
biolabee:

hmmm.... generally women are used to the finer things of life being provided by a pocket but their own
When they were single
Still when they are married

Of course there are exceptions to all rules

Jst like generally men are polygamous in nature....
Your last sentence settles it dough!
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 4:25pm On Jun 22, 2013
Stegomiah:

Jst like generally men are polygamous in nature....
Your last sentence settles it dough!

cool then
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by sassyangel1(f): 5:49pm On Jun 22, 2013
babyosisi:

Not at all honey.
I have been married a while
My husband has never ever complained that we don't have a joint account
The only man that will care about his wife having a separate account is a man who doesn't make enough on his own or one with an ulterior motive

Infact any girl whose man is so concerned about her money coming into a joint account ought to be wary
That is a controlling man that wants to control your earnings

Pls don't mind guiterlife ojare. As far as I'm concerned I support ur motion 100%. I gat my own account n my hubby gat his cos there r times I would like 2 excessively pamper maself n if I ask him he'll tell me it's nt important in d scale of preference. Buh, as a sharp wifey I use d cash in ma private a/c n spoil maself n d family.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 4:33am On Aug 06, 2013
-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A 2 Year Old Kid Is Beefing Me / How Can I Do My Wedding With 500k / Self-Heating Knee Protector For Painful Knee! !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.