Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? (4986 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Joint Account With My Spouse? / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
Stegomiah: Setting for both i.e avin ur personal acct and a joint one for family expenses seems 2 b wat majority av agreed on so far, but i tink one account will suffer dan d oda, most likely 2b d joint one. cos each individual will b afta enriching his/her own personal acct.

guitarlife as brot anoda dimension 2 dis thread, but i tink he is only fytin for d interest of d masculine folks, btw dont dump ur GF because of joint account issue, wats courtship for, u can tlk tins out....
that assumption is quite vague don't you think ? How could it be that i am fighting for the male folks when I have never advocated that only the man will have unfetterd access to the account. The reason why most people find my position strange is because the anomally as tarried so long enough as to usurp and take over the position of the "nomally". we therefore have a hard job now trying to make people see things from the ideal perspective. I know you are smart and you can get my drift.
About my girl, I'll try to see how yielding she can be otherwise , I will not allow a woman dictate to me how to run our home especially when it comes to forging a common front. What kind of example would we be laying for our kids when we parents can not reconcile our financial differences and work together. Little wonder some siblings kill each other over will and inheritance. We will train our kids by action and not by cheap words. If we can't do that then why marry ? I don't carry the balls for nothing, I do cos I am the leader of the home. If she can't trust my judgement then, I'll find me a woman who can. simples.

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
jidegirl12:

B you see I wanted to leave you on this one but your cho cho cho is really e-disturbing.

When I said my hubby is custom made and specially made for moi - he is and the best thing that has ever happened to me and we shared thesame values and affection, <= all that are NOT relevant with money.

Only a hungry mongrel from a broke background will be poking his hungry red eyes in other people's earning , as long as I play my part in the finances and whatnots, he really doesn't care what I do with the rest and we both lavish ourselves and kids with gifts too. There's MORE to a marriage than MONEY!

So you and your likes ( they know themselves) always spewing 'NL perfect marriage' is very condescending , I honestly don't know what y'all problem is undecided the fact that we love our spouses and do baby talks here or cos y'all don't have??, why don't you leave NL housewives alone and face your green monter eyes front! angry you know I go talk!

#Jumps in the shower
erm biola *coughs* I wish you *coughs again* goodluck with this. cool cool
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by damiso(f): 1:00pm On Jun 13, 2013
biolabee:

Thanks ... splendid post

If women have been used to controlling men' s resources, why dont i control a little also
TiTT for TaTT

I take a non gender biased stand on the issue.If you both agree to it and all is peachy, fine do what works for your home.
Where I would be slightly wary is if you INSIST and then turn it into a very big issue.

I honestly do not want ti monitor my husbands every toro kobo cos I know he is responsible with money.Better than me sef.He is not a child.He managed well before we got married and I know we have a vision and where we are going.So why should I be bothered if he decides to give 200 pounds to that old school friend who they used to soak Garri together in Ibadan.He will tell me and I for one will never discourage him cos he is an adult.
I have friends who have said they want to budget all hubby spends to the last kobo.Because of that they choose the most expensive everything.Their reasoning is they will see where money for sina (runs ie cheating grin)will surface from.

I dont like control f.reaks.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2013
Mama jhyde as you have pointed out if it works for you it's all well and good

No need to be antagonistic

I am not envious of you or anyone on this thread so keep woes
Of greem monster to yourself

Ish

jidegirl12:

B you see I wanted to leave you on this one but your cho cho cho is really e-disturbing.

When I said my hubby is custom made and specially made for moi - he is and the best thing that has ever happened to me and we shared thesame values and affection, <= all that are NOT relevant with money.

Only a hungry mongrel from a broke background will be poking his hungry red eyes in other people's earning , as long as I play my part in the finances and whatnots, he really doesn't care what I do with the rest and we both lavish ourselves and kids with gifts too. There's MORE to a marriage than MONEY!

So you and your likes ( they know themselves) always spewing 'NL perfect marriage' is very condescending , I honestly don't know what y'all problem is undecided the fact that we love our spouses and do baby talks here or cos y'all don't have??, why don't you leave NL housewives alone and face your green monter eyes front! angry you know I go talk!

#Jumps in the shower

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
damiso:

I take a non gender biased stand on the issue.If you both agree to it and all is peachy, fine do what works for your home.
Where I would be slightly wary is if you INSIST and then turn it into a very big issue.

I honestly do not want ti monitor my husbands every toro kobo cos I know he is responsible with money.Better than me sef.He is not a child.He managed well before we got married and I know we have a vision and where we are going.So why should I be bothered if he decides to give 200 pounds to that old school friend who they used to soak Garri together in Ibadan.He will tell me and I for one will never discourage him cos he is an adult.
I have friends who have said they want to budget all hubby spends to the last kobo.Because of that they choose the most expensive everything.Their reasoning is they will see where money for sina (runs ie cheating grin)will surface from.

exactly my stand. i don't understand how having 3 accounts. 1. your own, 2. his own, 3. the joint own. translates to keepin 1 account.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 1:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
Madam dami Excellent post as usual
No one likes control fr.eak but if women have always been angling to control their men's resources why must it be strange when the man wants to do same

Again I say

Men: my money; our money
Women: my money; MY MONEY

@guitar I will need it
Hwoever this is a practical advice and a lot of people I know don't do joint
Only few of my friends do it

If I make a bad financial decision with my earnings, will my spouse suffer
Yes of course.. Opportunity cost is also a loss

THE ISSUE IS NOT ABOUT BANK ACCOUNTS AND STRUCTURE BUT STRICTLY ABOUT ACCOUNTABILITY BETWEEN COUPLES

ISH

damiso:

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
Some of you guys like guitar boy are crying over spilled milk
The train has left that station tey tey

If you read through this whole thread ,nearly every lady that spoke personally either were not doing joint accounts at all,only did joint projects or had a joint account but their own private account also .
Not a single woman has told us all her salary and earnings go into a joint account.

So as you can see,no woman is willing in this day and age to put all her money in a pot with her man
Doesn't mean we don't love our men
We just want to have some Independence and that is perfectly in line
Datz all

So even if you find a wife that will do exclusive joint account with you,she will eventually open an account of her own on the side ( with or without your knowledge)
So while you go hunting for a joint account bride remember you may find one but know that the women are always 2 steps ahead of y'all grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by AjanleKoko: 1:39pm On Jun 13, 2013
What's the big deal with joint account?
Obviously na because una no get moni, that's why una dey rake grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko: What's the big deal with joint account?
oga can you keep a secret ? i ain't married yet cheesy cheesy cheesy just drilling the present gladiators so i can know how to glide too grin grin grin grin
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by AjanleKoko: 1:50pm On Jun 13, 2013
Guitarlife: oga can you keep a secret ? i ain't married yet cheesy cheesy cheesy just drilling the present gladiators so i can know how to glide too grin grin grin grin

So no woman is even chopping your doe yet. embarassed
And you are writing essays here grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

grin
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by ow11(m): 2:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
I find the idea pointless and unnecessary. As with everything else, there are exceptional circumstances where the idea who be an excellent one
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

it's such an unfair practice. and they keep shouting equality huh ? yet they find it hard to split the bills equally. That is just by the way anyway. I'll miss my bachelorhood o. cheeii see freedom . sorry married folks . grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 2:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
it's such an unfair practice. and they keep shouting equality huh ? yet they find it hard to split the bills equally.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by bukatyne(f): 2:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
Guitarlife: it's such an unfair practice. and they keep shouting equality huh ? yet they find it hard to split the bills equally. That is just by the way anyway. I'll miss my bachelorhood o. cheeii see freedom . sorry married folks . grin grin grin

They sure will if you will be willing to share the chores 50/50

2 Likes

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by AjanleKoko: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
Guitarlife: it's such an unfair practice. and they keep shouting equality huh ? yet they find it hard to split the bills equally. That is just by the way anyway. I'll miss my bachelorhood o. cheeii see freedom . sorry married folks . grin grin grin

There's no such thing as equality in marriage grin
Else couples would be doing the deed face to face, both lying on their sides grin cheesy tongue

4 Likes

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 13, 2013
biolabee: Mama jhyde as you have pointed out if it works for you it's all well and good

No need to be antagonistic

I am not envious of you or anyone on this thread so keep woes
Of greem monster to yourself

Ish

Y'all Ebadu belle e jolosi is obvious , NL wives 'perfect marriage' this that , inferiority complex is a bad mental grin condition.

Ish ish ish

2 Likes

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
LMAO..

AjanleKoko:

Else couples would be doing the deed face to face, both lying on their sides grin cheesy tongue

@jide why would I be jealous of you and your marital life
As they say if you get yam and you get palm oil chop am, enjoy am na

Why you dey look the person wey dey manage without palm oil

Ish

Funny e badu belle... I don miss calotti halotti

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

hahahaaa grin grin grin grin post of the year *in yuzedo voice* I GIVE UP!!!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by yuzedo: 3:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Guitarlife: hahahaaa grin grin grin grin post of the year *in yuzedo voice* I GIVE UP!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin AJANLE MY NIGGA!!! WE GIVE UPPPPP!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2013
Guitarlife: hahaahaaahaaa she gave up *in yuzedos voice* nor mind me jare.

Ohhh.. That's what Guitar meant by 'in yuzedos voice' badt guy grin

Biola, it's all good man, it's just a discussion , you know I always find it hard not to not talk when I find a post disturbing . Pound it!! cool
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by biolabee(m): 3:35pm On Jun 13, 2013
^^^ good woman....
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Stegomiah: 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2013
AjanleKoko: What's the big deal with joint account?

cheesy cheesy
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by MMotimo: 4:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
I' m really not inclined to get into a long drawn out argument here but have to comment because of this

babyosisi:

If you read through this whole thread ,nearly every lady that spoke personally either were not doing joint accounts at all,only did joint projects or had a joint account but their own private account also .
Not a single woman has told us all her salary and earnings go into a joint account.

So as you can see,no woman is willing in this day and age to put all her money in a pot with her man
Doesn't mean we don't love our men
We just want to have some Independence and that is perfectly in line
Datz all

grin

100% of my earnings go into the same joint account 100% of his own earnings does and each person has equal, unlimited access.

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by JohnnyPalmer: 6:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
Personally, I think it is better if a couple operate different accounts for the following reasons:

1. It will check the excesses of one or both of the partners

2. At least one of the partners cannot run away with all their money 

3. If one partner becomes bankrupt, the other partner's goldmine remain safe from the bank.

4. Nobody has to monitor too closely what the other partner is doing with every withdrawal

5. And finally, if the husband dies intestate and the family descends on his properties, the wife's money is safe from their reach.

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by JohnnyPalmer: 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
Its all based on trust and togetherness. While think of what if the marriage breaks?are you planning for that already?
In my home we don't have a joint account in our name but we operate a joint account in our spendings and savings. It all depends on what works for your marriage.

It's a question not of how much you trust your spouse, but how much you trust yourself. When you know that you are very likely to betray the trust your spouse has in you, you of course expect your spouse to do the same. If you choose to trust your spouse with your money, except you both lied to yourselves while dating, your spouse will in all probability keep your trust.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Sanboy25: 7:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
Yes I can. smiley
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
Byvan , can I ask you a question
darling? kiss
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
MMotimo: I' m really not inclined to get into a long drawn out argument here but have to comment because of this

100% of my earnings go into the same joint account 100% of his own earnings does and each person has equal, unlimited access.

And you are happy with that arrangement?

1 Like

Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 14, 2013
jidegirl12: Byvan , can I ask you a question
darling? kiss
She is sleeping.
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 12:05am On Jun 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
She is sleeping.

Yeah I know, whenever she wakes up grin thanks ypp
Re: Can You Have A Joint Account With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jun 14, 2013
jidegirl12:

Yeah I know, whenever she wakes up grin thanks ypp

Am awake now,go on madam Jide.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Name 5 Things Nigerian Wives Want And Expect From their Husbands / Ok / My 9month Old Baby,no Teeth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.