Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

How Driving Through Water Affects Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Driving Through Water Affects Cars (57583 Views)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / Tthe Power Of My Car Reduces When I Pass Through Water Please I Need Help Honda / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by divinelove(m): 9:39am On Jun 14, 2013
Hi everyone,
am just wondering how driving through a pool of water deep enough to almost swallow the tyre of sedan cars can affect d car.

Car experts in d house, whats your take on this. Its a common thing here in naija bc of bad roads. Effects on d car n precautions to minimize d effects r welcomed.

Best Regards

3 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Marpol: 10:16am On Jun 14, 2013
gentlepal: Hello pals I have clean Tokunbo car for Sale,its Nissan Altima 2005 model.Canadian spec.its affodable.

Don't advertise here please. Go to auto section.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
It could do considerable damages to low slung sedans and sports cars because of their low ride heights, water could come in contact with electrical components such as wiring harnesses, ECU and other electrical components, necessitating expensive repairs. Water could seep through to the cabin's footwell especially if there are holes that was bored during the manufacturing and wasn't sealed, when water gets into the footwell and stay there, overtime, it soaks the carpet and other sound proof materials and this emanates offensive odour, compromise the efficiency/effectiveness of the sound proofing materials and could initiate rusts in the metal parts if the water isn't drained and made to dry off. Also puddles of water have been known to play harm to cars especially those with huge/fat tyres. Vehicles with fat tyres are exposed to higher rist of "aquaplaning" a very dangerous situation whereby a car that is drivin through a very wet road surface loses contacts with the road because the water acts like a film/layer of smooth/frictionless surface thus initiating a loss in traction and an inexperienced driver could react very dangerously thus bringing the car to slide on the wet road.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by divinelove(m): 5:16pm On Jun 14, 2013
gud one

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ziccoit: 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2013
lomomike: It could do considerable damages to low slung sedans and sports cars because of their low ride heights, water could come in contact with electrical components such as wiring harnesses, ECU and other electrical components, necessitating expensive repairs. Water could seep through to the cabin's footwell especially if there are holes that was bored during the manufacturing and wasn't sealed, when water gets into the footwell and stay there, overtime, it soaks the carpet and other sound proof materials and this emanates offensive odour, compromise the efficiency/effectiveness of the sound proofing materials and could initiate rusts in the metal parts if the water isn't drained and made to dry off. Also puddles of water have been known to play harm to cars especially those with huge/fat tyres. Vehicles with fat tyres are exposed to higher rist of "aquaplaning" a very dangerous situation whereby a car that is drivin through a very wet road surface loses contacts with the road because the water acts like a film/layer of smooth/frictionless surface thus initiating a loss in traction and an inexperienced driver could react very dangerously thus bringing the car to slide on the wet road.

Did you actually write this or copy and paste stuff? If you did, I'm humbled.

3 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 14, 2013
ziccoit:

Did you actually write this or copy and paste stuff? If you did, I'm humbled.
well 1 don't fancy copy and paste cos i dislike it and I feel its an infringement on someones intelectual property. I personally wrote this. BtW thanks Sir.

5 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Ikenna351(m): 10:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
I would rather park my car or find another route home than hydrolock my engine.

Newer Cars with EFI engines these days are designed to suck air into the airfilter box under the car via tubes lowered under the filterbox, so that IAT will always be sensing cold air, signalling to engine ECU to help in supplying adequate amount of fuel going into the intake for proper amount of air/fuel mixtures.

My point is, a modern car will easily suck in water via airbox and push the water into intake manifold, when driven in a pool of water. The engine will hydrolock and you kiss goodbye to that engine, unless you are ready to rebuild it.

Dont swim with your EFI car. Its not a Boat.

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by CHIMCO(m): 3:46am On Jun 15, 2013
Is it proper to drive faster at that period to aviod been stoped by unseen objects like stone or drive as slow as possible?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 6:37am On Jun 15, 2013
CHIMCO: Is it proper to drive faster at that period to aviod been stoped by unseen objects like stone or drive as slow as possible?
No be speed boat or canoe u dey drive na! H ere are the risks involved: 1. Drive fast and risk hitting unseen submerged objects such as tree branches, stones, potholes, metallic objects etc thus causing vehicular damage or even losing traction. 2. Hydrolock of engine due to water intake just as my menthor, oga Ikenna351 (oga I comot cap 4 u, u too much man respect sir) has rightly said. Damage to the engine due to sudden change in engine temperature and pressure when the engine block contact water (this would cause very rapid engine cooling which might register in the temperature gauge in your instrument panel) mind you when such rapid temperature and pressure change occurs you might develop an engine fault or your would become flooded with water and stall. (U knw wetin Naija mechanics go do to ur engine + ur pocket). 3. Electrical short circuits as a result of water touching Your alternator, battery terminals, wiring harnesses, and fusible fuse terminals, sensors. (God help you if na old vehicle wey one mechanic don use do apprentice finish. E no go funny wen ur motor catch fire. lol). 4. Water soaking ur footwells and carpet and sound absorbent materials (mhen u wey like to carry babes before ur runs don halt if d babe dey aversive to pungent rottening smell because water don soak those upholsteries and other materials and u no clean d water to dry). 5. People go look u like say u no try (for dia mind they be like "see this mugu wey no get work abi na dem village people dey winch am"? + plus the mechanics for your area be like "dream come true! Time to butcher dis man's motor"wink hahahaha. Na joke I dey joke dis early mormor Oº°˚˚°! Una good morning

5 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Denn(m): 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2013
CHIMCO: Is it proper to drive faster at that period to aviod been stoped by unseen objects like stone or drive as slow as possible?

Bad advice...

If you drive faster, the water dams on the bonnet increasing the risk of water going into the engine. In addition, you might lose the ability to control the vehicle.

Put off fog lights, AC, and drive ensuring that you are not the first car on the trail...don't drive through unknown flood paths and try to wait out the rain...the flash floods can drain off in 30 minutes so why rush?

2 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nadoson: 10:11am On Jun 17, 2013
Driven 2ru flood causes damages 2 d cars 2ru b/low.
Cars of olden years are up to 30% free 4rm bein damaged by water to cars of these days. Cars of now ar fully computerizd (programmed).

1, Wen drivs 2ru water flood, d fan blade seizd & breks den causes damages 2 radiator wch can lead 2 damagin d top cylinder due 2 high temp. Wen d water leakd off.
REMEDY.
Puttin off d switch dat controls d fan blade b4 entring into d pool if posibl.

2, Driven 2ru pool might knock d engine if dia is a stone undernate d pool, d stone breks d engine sump wch cause d engine oil flushd off by den d engin parts experienc friction witin d parts.
REMEDY.
Fixin up sump protector of up to 6mm tick.

3, it caused some parts been damped, cos some parts shudnt xpose 2 mosture. E.g= Fuse box, Relays, Switches, Brain box etc.
REMEDY
Make sure dat some of d aboved parts are fixd at d upper region of d car b4 entrin in 2 pool

4, Driven 2ru flood causes wearing (high in friction) 2 tyre suspensions. Water flushes off or weakning d greeze(less viscoss) in d hulb.
REMEDY
Coverin d hulb wit a tight rubber colt.

5, Shortnin d lifespan of d metals (rust or corrosion)
REMEDY
washing d car always.

2 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by divinelove(m): 11:00am On Jun 17, 2013
Keep them coming
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 17, 2013
There's always the risk of any control modules being water damaged, causing short-circuits. But, this isn't the worst that could happen.

If water is drawn through the air intake, the engine will hydro-lock. I'll explain what this means.

Your engine draws air into the intake, mixes it with gasoline or diesel, depending on engine type. This air/fuel mixture is then drawn into your combnustion chamber, where it is compressed by your pistons. I'm not going to go into the spark side of things that ignites the air/fuel mixture here, because it's not relevant. Air is compressible, liquid is not.

So when water is sucked into your combustion chambers, your pistons will try to compress it. With your engine turning over, the pistons will meet resistance, and the first things to give are the connecting rods. If you're lucky, and the engine shuts down early, there'll be minimal damage. The plugs can be removed, the engine cranked over, and the water blown out. If you're unlucky, and the engine doesn't shut down early, your connecting rods will bend, as there's no way the pistons can compress the water in the cylinders.

Sometimes, an engine a slightly bent conrod or two MAY run after the water in the cylinders has been blown out (by removing the plugs) but it'll never be right. The cylinders with bent rods will have the pistons stop short of TDC (Top Dead Centre) which will mean lower compression in the affected cylinders, and poor running.

In some cases, bent connecting rods will smash holes in your cylinder block, with the conrods and sometimes pistons exiting the side of the engine.

There are no ifs or buts. If you want to hang onto your automobile for a long time, and not have to spend $$$ when you don't have to, avoid driving through flooded roads.

I can't understand what "Nadoson" is stating, and his analogies are way off the mark. You don't deliberately drive your automobile through a Ford, and expect all to be well.

5 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nadoson: 7:30am On Jun 18, 2013
Siena: There's always the risk of any control modules being water damaged, causing short-circuits. But, this isn't the worst that could happen.

If water is drawn through the air intake, the engine will hydro-lock. I'll explain what this means.

Your engine draws air into the intake, mixes it with gasoline or diesel, depending on engine type. This air/fuel mixture is then drawn into your combnustion chamber, where it is compressed by your pistons. I'm not going to go into the spark side of things that ignites the air/fuel mixture here, because it's not relevant. Air is compressible, liquid is not.

So when water is sucked into your combustion chambers, your pistons will try to compress it. With your engine turning over, the pistons will meet resistance, and the first things to give are the connecting rods. If you're lucky, and the engine shuts down early, there'll be minimal damage. The plugs can be removed, the engine cranked over, and the water blown out. If you're unlucky, and the engine doesn't shut down early, your connecting rods will bend, as there's no way the pistons can compress the water in the cylinders.

Sometimes, an engine a slightly bent conrod or two MAY run after the water in the cylinders has been blown out (by removing the plugs) but it'll never be right. The cylinders with bent rods will have the pistons stop short of TDC (Top Dead Centre) which will mean lower compression in the affected cylinders, and poor running.

In some cases, bent connecting rods will smash holes in your cylinder block, with the conrods and sometimes pistons exiting the side of the engine.

There are no ifs or buts. If you want to hang onto your automobile for a long time, and not have to spend $$$ when you don't have to, avoid driving through flooded roads.

I can't understand what "Nadoson" is stating, and his analogies are way off the mark. You don't deliberately drive your automobile through a Ford, and expect all to be well.
ur too good in xplanton but If u had gone trough my view v/wel, i did mention of old & newly cars on hydrolockin problms,
HYDROLOCKING affects newly produced cars only (programmd) I knw about dis hydrolockin & dint wona elaborate it. I knw dat DIVINELOVE were tryin 2 knw d risks involvd driven 2ru flood so i was tryin 2 pickpoint some areas dat may b afetetd not only d engine though dat d engine is d master peice.

2 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 18, 2013
Nadoson:
ur too good in xplanton but If u had gone trough my view v/wel, i did mention of old & newly cars on hydrolockin problms,
HYDROLOCKING affects newly produced cars only (programmd) I knw about dis hydrolockin & dint wona elaborate it. I knw dat DIVINELOVE were tryin 2 knw d risks involvd driven 2ru flood so i was tryin 2 pickpoint some areas dat may b afetetd not only d engine though dat d engine is d master peice.

And again, I say your analogies are way off the mark. I'd say you're confusing Hydro-locking with electrical short-circuits caused by water ingress in control modules. These issues are totally separate.

Hydrdro-locking affects EVERY internal combustion engine, whether it was built in 1860 or 2013. The principles remain the same, and as long as water remains non-compressible, the hydro-locking issues will remain. If water is drawn into the combustion chambers of a running engine, it WILL hydro-lock.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nadoson: 12:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
Siena:

And again, I say your analogies are way off the mark. I'd say you're confusing Hydro-locking with electrical short-circuits caused by water ingress in control modules. These issues are totally separate.

Hydrdro-locking affects EVERY internal combustion engine, whether it was built in 1860 or 2013. The principles remain the same, and as long as water remains non-compressible, the hydro-locking issues will remain. If water is drawn into the combustion chambers of a running engine, it WILL hydro-lock.
if ur talkin on cumbustion, imidtly it drys off & plug changd, d car will start up unles d water inters in some electrical chambers.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2013
Nadoson:
if ur talkin on cumbustion, imidtly it drys off & plug changd, d car will start up unles d water inters in some electrical chambers.

If water gets into the ECU and TCU (on automatics) whilst a battery is connected to the car, the circuits will be fried. It wouldn't matter if these are dried out, they'll be dead.

Based upon the above, would you deliberately drive your car through a Ford or deep water? Or advice a friend to do so?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by dulphines: 3:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ask those that drive flooded cars from America. They will tell you their stories.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by dulphines: 3:27pm On Jun 18, 2013
lomomike: well 1 don't fancy copy and paste cos i dislike it and I feel its an infringement on someones intelectual property. I personally wrote this. BtW thanks Sir.

I hear you!
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by yuzedo: 3:33pm On Jun 18, 2013
Na wa! We dey learn...
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
This hap[pened to me once>
I was driving on an untarred road dat had big potholes everywhere. It was during raining season last year and i was not really conversant with this road.
Immediately i entered a ditch, i saw smoke or steam from the front tyre and i tot d rim was hot or something .
Be4 i culd say jack, pple on d other side of the road were shouting fire fire but i ddnt understand.
When i saw it myself, i ran out pick my baby at the back seat and left the engine running.
Fortunately, pple were able to put the fire off.
When dey were fixing d care, iwas told it was the fuel hose dat removes and immediate contact with water cause a spark and ds led to the fire outbreak.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ikenna351: I would rather park my car or find another route home than hydrolock my engine.

Newer Cars with EFI engines these days are designed to suck air into the airfilter box under the car via tubes lowered under the filterbox, so that IAT will always be sensing cold air, signalling to engine ECU to help in supplying adequate amount of fuel going into the intake for proper amount of air/fuel mixtures.

My point is, a modern car will easily suck in water via airbox and push the water into intake manifold, when driven in a pool of water. The engine will hydrolock and you kiss goodbye to that engine, unless you are ready to rebuild it.

Dont swim with your EFI car. Its not a Boat.

Ikenna.

I'm sorry, but WTF?! HTF am I supposed to knw ETF EFI FMs.. Get it?!

Whats EFI, ECU, VCR, e.t.c.. Can you rewrite this in plain english Mr. Mod who banned me unjustly.. angry

I should ban you for posting in shorthand.. angry

@ Topic: Driving through a pool of water washes the under of your car, type, rims and other places under the car... Infact, I speed through it to wash the muds off of my under carriage..

However.. Certain cars hate water.. My first car ever was an 86 Honda Accord.. Drove into a pool of water and the car stalled. Wouldnt start. Later found out that water had entered my Brainbox and that the engine was gone. Spent a guap to fix her.

Now I live in Banana Island.. I no longer experience flooding. #Praise the lord.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by KA24DETT(m): 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
Nadoson:

Sienna explained it pretty well and I hope you learned something from his explanation. Car electronics does not work as before after water damage

Back to the topic. Newer Northamerican cars intake tubing are designed whereby the the cars suck in air close to the ground which I think increases risk of hydrolock when driven on flooded roads in Nigeria.

Sienna, what you think of having a Short ram intake that's closer to the engine bay? I know you suck in warm air but that's better than hydrolock in case of driving on flodded road.

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Provie(m): 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
Speaking frm xperience, I kno it afects the electrical system somhow especialy 4 d automatic transmission. Tried it once, & like 10minits later, everything was just switching on by itself! Normalized on its own within 24hrs anyway.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by hardbody: 4:19pm On Jun 18, 2013
When i am coming home and there is a large pool on the road, i should park and wait for days until the water dries off abi? or when i am on the road to Oniru from mainland and it starts raining i should park and wait for the rain to stop and the flood dries off abi? you guys are serious, very serious. My montero has been swimming through little oceans and nothing has ever happened. Bouyed by that fact, i had gone ahead to acquire the 2012 Mitsubishi Pajero with full option. I have not tested her on the terrains although maximum output is still heart warming. All those una theory na for book. If rains and rain water makes that much damage, they wont be any cars on Lagos roads. I only switch off my airconditioner when driving through water and the only reason i do is because some friend told me it could be dangerous if i dont. Infact, if it is raining and you are driving on third mainland or before it towards the island, the guy tat overtakes all vehicles driving through the water by the left is my humble self. i no send una with all these explanations

5 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by bebe2(f): 4:23pm On Jun 18, 2013
BORINGGGGGGGG, for those of us wey neva drive thru water for 10yrs, how can we contribute shocked shocked grin
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ITbomb(m): 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
So now
Which car or SUV is suitable to go through water.
Only Xterra and Hilux?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by HOGIG: 4:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
Okija_juju:

I'm sorry, but WTF?! HTF am I supposed to knw ETF EFI FMs.. Get it?!

Whats EFI, ECU, VCR, e.t.c.. Can you rewrite this in plain english Mr. Mod who banned me unjustly.. angry

I should ban you for posting in shorthand.. angry

@ Topic: Driving through a pool of water washes the under of your car, type, rims and other places under the car... Infact, I speed through it to wash the muds off of my under carriage..

However.. Certain cars hate water.. My first car ever was an 86 Honda Accord.. Drove into a pool of water and the car stalled. Wouldnt start. Later found out that water had entered my Brainbox and that the engine was gone. Spent a guap to fix her.

Now I live in Banana Island.. I no longer experience flooding. #Praise the lord.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Birmingham(m): 4:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
From my vantage point, water logs underneath the car that attracts sand. Besides, it aids rust.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 4:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
bebe2: BORINGGGGGGGG, for those of us wey neva drive thru water for 10yrs, how can we contribute shocked shocked grin

WAKA!! angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Driver If You Find Yourself In This Situation What Will You Do? / Many Cars Submerged In Lagos Flood Following Heavy Downpour (Video) / The Best Car Interior You’ve Ever Seen…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.