Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles (7932 Views)

How Driving Through Water Affects Cars / Car Jerks When Put In Gear / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 10, 2013
I have had this problem with my Toyota Avensis 1998 1.6 l manual transmission car for over 3 years with no solution. Every time I drive through a puddle at speed and splash water on the engine, the car jerks and refuses to accelerate for some minutes. I then have to drive slowly and avoid stomping on my throttle. After about 10 minutes, the car is back to normal. If I park it in that state of jerking, in a few hours or by the next morning, it is back to normal.
One day, I made the mistake of stomping on the throttle causing the engine to become over flooded.
Have asked several mechanics and rewires. No one seems to have a clue.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 10, 2013
dsunmade: I have had this problem with my Toyota Avensis 1998 1.6 l manual transmission car for over 3 years with no solution. Every time I drive through a puddle at speed and splash water on the engine, the car jerks and refuses to accelerate for some minutes.

I'm going to be blunt here.

Why would you drive through a puddle "at speed"? What are you trying to achieve? You yourself know the issues are with water splashing on the engine, yet you persist in doing it! No ignition system likes water, so there's nothing your "rewires" can do, other than wrap your coilpack and HT leads with plastic.

Use common sense, and drive through puddles S-L-O-W-L-Y.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
...My respects Siena!!!

@ Poster!
D same thing happened 2 my ride last 2 years. I passed thru a little flood of water at about 60Km/h. Immediately, my car engine went off. I stopped. And d car refused 2 start. After so many trials @ starting the ride. It couldn't.

I removed d plugs and behold, the engine was flooded with fuel. I had 2 allow the fuel to dry from where the plugs are before the car started. The overflooding of the engine continued.

I took the car 2 my mechanic and he said I had to grind the 'top' which I did. Though I wasn't ready 2 work on d engine but after grinding the 'top'. The problem didn't resurface again.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by JUO(m): 2:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena has said it all. listen to how I solved mine. once again you're in the in the right place but you caused the problem by allowing your mechanic to remove your thermostat and permanent your fan. do the following your problems are solved. return the connection to the factory default you're done.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
JUO: Siena has said it all. listen to how I solved mine. once again you're in the in the right place but you caused the problem by allowing your mechanic to remove your thermostat and permanent your fan. do the following your problems are solved. return the connection to the factory default you're done.

****Laughing out loud****
Did this guy read the topic at all? I raise my cap for you.

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena:

Why would you drive through a puddle "at speed"? What are you trying to achieve? You yourself know the issues are with water splashing on the engine, yet you persist in doing it! No ignition system likes water, so there's nothing your "rewires" can do, other than wrap your coilpack and HT leads with plastic.

Bros Siena, take am easy. This common sense is not so elusive.
anyways,
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena:

Bros Siena, take am easy. This common sense is not so elusive. I suspect that you are not the sole harbinger of it.
Anyways, travelling on pothole infested Lagos Ibadan on a rainy day at 60km/h makes hitting a puddle almost impossible.
@Juo, perfectly on point. I suspected the removed thermostat was the reason and asked my mechanic to replace it. He told me he couldn't get it to buy. What are my options? Can I order it?
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by JUO(m): 6:15pm On Nov 10, 2013
Did this guy read the topic at all? I
raise my cap for you.
we will know who will laugh last. ignorance at the highest level
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by JUO(m): 6:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
@Juo, perfectly on point. I suspected
the removed thermostat was the
reason and asked my mechanic to
replace it. He told me he couldn't get
it to buy. What are my options? Can I
order it?
your fan is spraying water on the engine, coil, plug making it to bridge. your only option is to revert or puddle will be a nightmare
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2013
I wish the owner the very best with his ride sha. Am not contesting pls
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by cardoctor(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2013
dsunmade: I have had this problem with my Toyota Avensis 1998 1.6 l manual transmission car for over 3 years with no solution. Every time I drive through a puddle at speed and splash water on the engine, the car jerks and refuses to accelerate for some minutes. I then have to drive slowly and avoid stomping on my throttle. After about 10 minutes, the car is back to normal. If I park it in that state of jerking, in a few hours or by the next morning, it is back to normal.
One day, I made the mistake of stomping on the throttle causing the engine to become over flooded.
Have asked several mechanics and rewires. No one seems to have a clue.

Its obvious that the ignition system gets in contact with water. Water vapour could easily affect your ignition coil or HT leads conductivity. That's why when it dries out, it starts working ok. Make sure that your engine electrical components are water tight and sealed. Don't forget to check the connectors too.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Arteta99(m): 8:44am On Nov 11, 2013
chiebube:

Did this guy read the topic at all? I raise my cap for you.
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by JUO(m): 8:58am On Nov 11, 2013
go to where they fix radiator you will see it on the floor or you ask them to keep it for you. Nigerians love removing thermostat. if you can't get it let us know somebody may help you get it from mechanic or radiator guys
Re: Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 11, 2013
Thanks. I will keep you posted

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Aramco Plans To Slow Down Electric Car Progress By Making Efficient Engine / Do White Coloured Vehicles Cost Less?` / Nigeria Senate Order Frsc To Stop Issuance Of New Vehicle Licensing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.