Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,343 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

How Driving Through Water Affects Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Driving Through Water Affects Cars (57586 Views)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / Tthe Power Of My Car Reduces When I Pass Through Water Please I Need Help Honda / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Meedu(m): 4:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
All i know is, some cars are better designed than others in terms of flood. I've had a 406 once that always disappoint me when ever i drive through a pool of water. The gasket gets burnt maybe due to rapid change in temperature i believe.My next car was a 2008 corolla, which i have driven in deeper floods of water, yet am still rocking it with no problems.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by megastu(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
I have read your comments. I am still wondering why nothing happened to my car that was submerged in a pool of water, up to window level, for about 10minutes because all this elegushi boys set a trap for me and i fell (2011). Till date i still wonder.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by cornel1900: 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
I actually drove thru a bonet-high flood and after like 40 seconds after swimming tru ds flood, my jalopee just went babanas!
Horn blaring non stop, every single thing came on their own (hazard/dash board light etc).
If are u face any fload, pls, do a u turn.
You cannot spend more than 4 hours taking another flood free route. Else, you spend a min of 5 hours at the rewire's shop + some coins + some unresolved mental issues 4 d car...

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by thelegend1(m): 5:10pm On Jun 18, 2013
I doff my hat for the contributors to this forum/thread. You guys are talented mechanical engineers and dont even know it!
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by DrMuzungu(m): 5:10pm On Jun 18, 2013
Driving through deep pools of water makes car shiny, removes the rust, [prevent rusting in the future, cleans air filters, removes any residue from windshields, and generally makes your car a lot faster.

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by frankyychiji(f): 5:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
ziccoit:

Did you actually write this or copy and paste stuff? If you did, I'm humbled.
which kind bad belle be dis for goodness sake?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Godson201333(m): 5:27pm On Jun 18, 2013
CHIMCO: Is it proper to drive faster at that period to aviod been stoped by unseen objects like stone or drive as slow as possible?

You do not have to drive fast,The reason is that your fan could easily splash water on the engine and it could harm your vehicle.Just slow down and you gonna drive through,Incase of automatic cars,Do not accelerate at all its gonna move itself
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Godson201333(m): 5:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
cornel1900: I actually drove thru a bonet-high flood and after like 40 seconds after swimming tru ds flood, my jalopee just went babanas!
Horn blaring non stop, every single thing came on their own (hazard/dash board light etc).
If are u face any fload, pls, do a u turn.
You cannot spend more than 4 hours taking another flood free route. Else, you spend a min of 5 hours at the rewire's shop + some coins + some unresolved mental issues 4 d car...

That car must be Kia or Hyundai= CHINKO
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ZACHIE: 5:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
slip and vdc light come on each time i drive in any pool of water..interesting
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by DECOtech(m): 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
With this my kind of car ...you guys are speaking ENGLISH LANGUAGE

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Godson201333(m): 5:51pm On Jun 18, 2013
DECOtech: With this my kind of car ...you guys are speaking ENGLISH LANGUAGE

hha Oya nah UP UP GERMAN MACHINE...I LOve benz die..
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by cornel1900: 6:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
Godson201333:

That car must be Kia or Hyundai= CHINKO

Uncle, na toyota '96 camry grin grin

Me sef fear cheesy
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by question(m): 6:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
what will happen if water enters the exhaust pipe?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by oladele007: 6:49pm On Jun 18, 2013
Don't try it otherwise its going to cost u alots when the engine of ur car knock-out. watch this video it explain it all. i am one of the victim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yehz2gUnNe0
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by viperman: 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
A lot of you experts can be funny at times. You guys somehow failed to state that every car has its water tolerance level and by implying that all new car models hydro-lock when you drive through floods with it is plain generalization.
For many of us living in Lagos -Nigeria and especially during the rainy season(right now), we have been swimming through floods with our cars(some new models and some old) and none has hydro-locked(except in rare case....none i've heard of).

From my years of experience, i can tell you all cars have their individual water tolerance levels. Some cars can be drowned in water and still come out and be drivable; others will malfunction even if rain touches their body paint. smiley

For the three most popular japanese/Asia makes here, let me breakdown their flood handling tolerance:

1. TOYOTA:- I can tell you that 98% of toyota cars will go through floods and still work after that. Depending on the level of flood(below running boards, above fenders, total flood cover) and how fast you ran through the water.
For Most toyotas, if the water level is anywhere below the car tyre level, the car will still drive through the flood. All you need do is switch-off your Air conditioning system, drive extremely slowly and you're good to go. Get home and open down the car for at least 24hrs for the flood to drain out. get a mechanic to change your oils and you'ré on your way again(my experience with a 2011 toyota camry). If the flood is above tyre level upto the fender level; then it's advisable not to risk it. However, if the car wasn't being driven/switched-on when the flood happened...even if it covered the car whole....just call an expert mechanic, upholstery and electrical technician to help you naked the car and let it dry out at least 48hrs and apply anti-rust sprays at the appropriate areas and you are back on. Experienced this first-hand MANY TIMES over years....so this is not Google-talk.

2. HONDA:- Unlike toyota's the newer Honda's(2003-2012) have lower water tolerance level mainly due to the positioning and material used for protection of its fuse boxes...which are mainly at the pedal levels. This makes any flood above the running-board level(panel below the doors) a potential risk to drive through. However, it will still drive through it but with some after-consequences e.g dashboard lights will start switching on-off on their own, radio/audio sounds might go mute, and if you drove through it with the Air conditioner on....be sure to ready to buy a new compressor wink
If these and/or more begin to happen after the flood-swimming and your car still kick-starts(which it should); change the fuse-box/panel(es) mainly located at the passenger side just below the glovebox area. Note that this is not always the case as not often does water sip-into the car if it's a low-level flood(mid-tyre level for example)...except the cars door rubbers are bad or its been previously accident-ed.
Now, If you happen to encounter a flood above/upto fender level....please respect yourself and like the Nigeria-police will tell you -PARK WELL and wait it out. Except you have absolutely no choice but to move at that point in time and you're ready to shell-out some good cash to change the brain-box later on adhere to the former instruction. grin

3. HYUNDAI/KIA: not used them through floods, but heard they're not that water tolerant electrically(I might be wrong) so be extra careful and reverse out of the flood if you notice that the water is gaining access into the car. However, they do drive through lagos floods. I see the Accents, Ceratos, Sonanta everydaay(just today even). Never seen one broken down in the various floods on lagos roads.

The trick is ALWAYS SWITCH-OFF THE AIR CONDITIONER when approaching the flood and drive VEEERY slowly all through the flood.

As for the GERMAN MACHINES...I stick to one basic rule:

IF the flood level is above the running board(panel just below the passenger door ), please park your car. If it's below or just about that panel, drive slowly through the water pool and switch-off your air conditioner. SIMPLE.

My two cents.

3 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nadoson: 7:48pm On Jun 18, 2013
megastu: I have read your comments. I am still wondering why nothing happened to my car that was submerged in a pool of water, up to window level, for about 10minutes because all this elegushi boys set a trap for me and i fell (2011). Till date i still wonder.
If i may ask, wch type of car is dat?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by cunlay007(m): 7:57pm On Jun 18, 2013
ziccoit:

Did you actually write this or copy and paste stuff? If you did, I'm humbled.

His responses are always informative
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nadoson: 7:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
question: what will happen if water enters the exhaust pipe?
It has no effect 2 d car besides, exhaust is an outlet or exit of alrady burnt gas wch is now CARBON MONOXIDE (CO). It flushes off imdtly d engine start up.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by GatJokez(f): 9:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
It will kill your car. Why take that chance?
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by divinelove(m): 9:16pm On Jun 18, 2013
thank u all for sharing ur tots on d topic, am sure alot ve been learnt. keep them coming
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ZN2: 9:51pm On Jun 18, 2013
Depends on the car. Different tolerance levels as Viperman rightly said.

But then I wouldn't drive through anything more than this with a sedan.

Better get a dodge ram, G-wagon or the likes if you have to wade through floods frequently.

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by 19naia(m): 10:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
there is the issue of fresh water and then the issue of salt water of brakish water.....SALT WATER IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL REASONABLE COST... when i was driveing a subaru legacy wagon for a few years in nearly new condition only 3 to 4 years old,i would go to the beach regularly and sometimes the road there in high tide was inundated with only a few centimeters of water..Thats not much water at all i assumed and i was right with never a problem until a short time passed and my breaks seized up and needed replaceing...this happened twice before i heeded advice to not drive the salt water into my undercarraige and wheel mechanisms....years later i was replaceing the clutch on the car when the mechanic told me that he had worked on many subarus older than my car but it was my subaru that looked very old with rust under and around the drive train...He said that the salt water is the worst corrosive agent on the roads.............fresh water is better and sometimes works well to wash the underside of the car,but it is enough to just drive in a heavy rain to get regular cleaning...too much washing of the underside will strip some of the grease needed and also throw particles into places that will be ground down by the small particles and sand...It all adds up to more frequent repairs....of course deep water driveing is no good and only as an only option with expectation that it will cost you in the long run,even with trucks and jeeps built for this type of condition,there will be a toll taken on the vehicle......Self maintainance skills are very good for takeing measures to stave off wear and tear after exposure to much water.....flooding into the car can do extensive unseen damage that can haunt a car for the rest of its useful life...the types of hauntings can be electrical malfunctions on multiple systems and water lodgeing through seals will stay there for years protected by the very seals it invaded..those years will be eventful with corrosion and further compounding of problems....
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ZACHIE: 10:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
19naia: SALT WATER IS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL REASONABLE COST... ...
it seems pretty obvious that some folks need talking to.
why drive in SALT WATER? Why?
leave the sea out of this,please.
Drive on land and leave beaches for bitchses.

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Jun 19, 2013
viperman: A lot of you experts can be funny at times. You guys somehow failed to state that every car has its water tolerance level and by implying that all new car models hydro-lock when you drive through floods with it is plain generalization.
For many of us living in Lagos -Nigeria and especially during the rainy season(right now), we have been swimming through floods with our cars(some new models and some old) and none has hydro-locked(except in rare case....none i've heard of).

From my years of experience, i can tell you all cars have their individual water tolerance levels. Some cars can be drowned in water and still come out and be drivable; others will malfunction even if rain touches their body paint. smiley

For the three most popular japanese/Asia makes here, let me breakdown their flood handling tolerance:

1. TOYOTA:- I can tell you that 98% of toyota cars will go through floods and still work after that. Depending on the level of flood(below running boards, above fenders, total flood cover) and how fast you ran through the water.
For Most toyotas, if the water level is anywhere below the car tyre level, the car will still drive through the flood. All you need do is switch-off your Air conditioning system, drive extremely slowly and you're good to go. Get home and open down the car for at least 24hrs for the flood to drain out. get a mechanic to change your oils and you'ré on your way again(my experience with a 2011 toyota camry). If the flood is above tyre level upto the fender level; then it's advisable not to risk it. However, if the car wasn't being driven/switched-on when the flood happened...even if it covered the car whole....just call an expert mechanic, upholstery and electrical technician to help you naked the car and let it dry out at least 48hrs and apply anti-rust sprays at the appropriate areas and you are back on. Experienced this first-hand MANY TIMES over years....so this is not Google-talk.

2. HONDA:- Unlike toyota's the newer Honda's(2003-2012) have lower water tolerance level mainly due to the positioning and material used for protection of its fuse boxes...which are mainly at the pedal levels. This makes any flood above the running-board level(panel below the doors) a potential risk to drive through. However, it will still drive through it but with some after-consequences e.g dashboard lights will start switching on-off on their own, radio/audio sounds might go mute, and if you drove through it with the Air conditioner on....be sure to ready to buy a new compressor wink
If these and/or more begin to happen after the flood-swimming and your car still kick-starts(which it should); change the fuse-box/panel(es) mainly located at the passenger side just below the glovebox area. Note that this is not always the case as not often does water sip-into the car if it's a low-level flood(mid-tyre level for example)...except the cars door rubbers are bad or its been previously accident-ed.
Now, If you happen to encounter a flood above/upto fender level....please respect yourself and like the Nigeria-police will tell you -PARK WELL and wait it out. Except you have absolutely no choice but to move at that point in time and you're ready to shell-out some good cash to change the brain-box later on adhere to the former instruction. grin

3. HYUNDAI/KIA: not used them through floods, but heard they're not that water tolerant electrically(I might be wrong) so be extra careful and reverse out of the flood if you notice that the water is gaining access into the car. However, they do drive through lagos floods. I see the Accents, Ceratos, Sonanta everydaay(just today even). Never seen one broken down in the various floods on lagos roads.

The trick is ALWAYS SWITCH-OFF THE AIR CONDITIONER when approaching the flood and drive VEEERY slowly all through the flood.

As for the GERMAN MACHINES...I stick to one basic rule:

IF the flood level is above the running board(panel just below the passenger door ), please park your car. If it's below or just about that panel, drive slowly through the water pool and switch-off your air conditioner. SIMPLE.

My two cents.

I own Two hyundais.. (One Santa Fe & Sonata..) I have put these cars through very deep waters (In one case, the headlight of my Sonata was well covered) and they both came out of it fine. I live in a reclaimed swamp area that floods everytime it rains.

My wife also drives a Honda City and that car can go full submarine in my books and survive.. Pretty rugged.

2 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 19, 2013
Okija_juju:

I own Two hyundais.. (One Santa Fe & Sonata..) I have put these cars through very deep waters (In one case, the headlight of my Sonata was well covered) and they both came out of it fine. I live in a reclaimed swamp area that floods everytime it rains.

My wife also drives a Honda City and that car can go full submarine in my books and survive.. Pretty rugged.

They survived because the intakes are above the water line of the Fords your drove through. No engine, regardless of how "rugged" will survive water ingress in the combustion chambers. I advice drivers NOT to drive through a Ford because there's no way I can tell where every vehicle's air intake is positioned.

So rather than assume they're all positioned higher that the average Ford, it's safer to assume they're not, and ARE vulnerable to water ingress. I can't advice some to drive through deep water, and advice another lot NOT to.

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 12:32pm On Jun 19, 2013
Siena:

They survived because the intakes are above the water line of the Fords your drove through. No engine, regardless of how "rugged" will survive water ingress in the combustion chambers. I advice drivers NOT to drive through a Ford because there's no way I can tell where every vehicle's air intake is positioned.

So rather than assume they're all positioned higher that the average Ford, it's safer to assume they're not, and ARE vulnerable to water ingress. I can't advice some to drive through deep water, and advice another lot NOT to.

Advice well taken...

Thanks..

**Calls Estate agent, I need a house on the mainland where there is no flooding.. My Audi A8 is on its way.. grin
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Ikenna351(m): 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2013
Okija_juju:

I'm sorry, but WTF?! HTF am I supposed to knw ETF EFI FMs.. Get it?!

Whats EFI, ECU, VCR, e.t.c.. Can you rewrite this in plain english Mr. Mod who banned me unjustly.. angry

I should ban you for posting in shorthand.. angry

Is like somebody missed road here. Or could be that someone couldn't tell the difference between Car Talk and Romance sections? You don't have to embarrass yourself in a section for serious minded ones, you know.

I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't know what EFI means in this era, and yet own an Fuel injected car.

Ikenna.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351: I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't know what EFI means in this era, and yet own an Fuel injected car.

Ikenna.

That's a very unfair statement, Ikenna. Not everyone who drives (and owns) an automobile knows the various terminology, indeed some don't really care. If someone doesn't know what a certain term means, then simply break it down, so they learn.

No one has a monopoly when it comes to knowledge.

My dad drove for many years, yet didn't know what OHV or a pushrod was. My older brother has a fleet of cars and trucks in Abuja, yet doesn't know what a PTO is. They shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, when I converse with my brother, I break things down, and give simplified versions of technical issues.

When you say someone should be ashamed of themselves because they lack knowledge, it makes you come across as smug, arrogant and egotistical. Share your knowledge, and be all the better for imparting what you know, it's that simple.

6 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ZN2: 1:25pm On Jun 19, 2013
EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection.

Electronic fuel injection — that’s the “EFI”, monitors airflow and density, among other conditions, and more precisely controls the fuel supply over a range of temperatures and engine states.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Ikenna351(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
Siena:

That's a very unfair statement, Ikenna. Not everyone who drives (and owns) an automobile knows the various terminology, indeed some don't really care. If someone doesn't know what a certain term means, then simply break it down, so they learn.

No one has a monopoly when it comes to knowledge.

My dad drove for many years, yet didn't know what OHV or a pushrod was. My older brother has a fleet of cars and trucks in Abuja, yet doesn't know what a PTO is. They shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, when I converse with my brother, I break things down, and give simplified versions of technical issues.

When you say someone should be ashamed of themselves because they lack knowledge, it makes you come across as smug, arrogant and egotistical. Share your knowledge, and be all the better for imparting what you know, it's that simple.

Am happy that I have given you that opportunity to speak up on what has been eating you up about "Ikenna351". Am not surprised of your above post, anyway. Just surprised why it took you that long to "get back at Ikenna" for reasons obvious to you, which I sensed long time ago.

Of course, probably I was the only one who saw the statements of Okiju_juju directed at me in that post as mockery. Of course, he wanted me to come back and explain to him what EFI means with those statements of him to me "who banned him unjustly". Yes, he was the only one who saw the "EFI" I used, but chose to ask for the meaning "humbly".

I acquire knowledge everyday; I learn new things above cars everyday, without embarrassing myself of my ignorance. I would humbly seek for explanation or clarification for something I do not know, but ought to have known before now. I would be ashamed of myself to castigate someone who knows something I ought to have known before now publicly. There is a difference between someone who wants to learn and someone who takes acquisition of knowledge for granted. Of course, after his mocking of my post by him, I was supposed to come back and "smile" back at him while teaching him what EFI means? Of course, Ikenna351 is a punch bag that should take every nonsense from everyone, without stating how I feel. I don't blame you!

Like every other poster in the beginning of this thread, I pointed out only one thing that could happen when one swim with his car: Engine Hydro lock. I went on to explain what usually cause it (lower air intake in most modern cars, so that the engine will be sucking cooler air, for IAT to report to ECU to do a better job in its engine management function, a Typical EFI Car). But he didn't care about my opinion on swimming cars in pool of water, but wanted "the moderator that unjustly banned him" to explain how could he knew what EFI means, instead of writing in plain English, as if that my post was directed at him. Like I said, I don't blame you. You have gotten the opportunity you have been waiting for to deal with Ikenna351. And guess what? You have had it!

Siena, am not you that goes about portraying yourself as "Mr. Perfect" or "Mr. Nice guy". Am not that fake. As a moderator, I get insults from members everyday, which members wont even see, since they are been hidden. The least i could do is to hide such posts and ignore the posters. No ban, no warning, nothing. Am a happy man and i don't take such comments seriously. But on few occasions, i would react, because am a human being with emotions that need to be expressed, which would make some of my posts harsh. But that's what makes me human. I don't hide my flaws or short comings. But what do you do? You go about displaying to those you can deceive "I am a God and he is the Devil". Am not one of your worshippers, you know. So, you can find more derogatory adjectives to qualify me. But do I care? I don't think so.

Well, am happy that you have finally done it, which you have been cooking up inside you. Because, i know exactly where you are coming from. But of course, they (rest of the forum members) don't need to know, because it would be so unprofessional on my part to say more than i have done here. Good luck with your campaign.

Don't expect my response to you here again, because I don't plan to derail this thread.

Ikenna.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 3:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Is like somebody missed road here. Or could be that someone couldn't tell the difference between Car Talk and Romance sections? You don't have to embarrass yourself in a section for serious minded ones, you know.

I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't know what EFI means in this era, and yet own an Fuel injected car.

Ikenna.

Haaaaa!!

No wonder you banned me in the past..

Anywyas, my apologies if you felt insulted by my post.. Was simply a light hearted jab at you (Afterall, you indeed banned me in the past).

Well.. I aint a mechanic and i'm sure many Nigerians who own and drive mordern cars with all those many abbreviations you put in your post dont knw them either. I guess I will make a mental note to be ashamed of myself from here on out and also inform my other friends and associates who also dont know the meaning of these abbreviations yet own high tech cars..

On a side note, you need to lighten up.. All that insult you hurled at me was really unnecessary.. I'm still shocked how you could even have possibly taken offence at that post..

grin

**Walks into a corner with my head hung low in shame**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Driver If You Find Yourself In This Situation What Will You Do? / Many Cars Submerged In Lagos Flood Following Heavy Downpour (Video) / The Best Car Interior You’ve Ever Seen…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.