Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,947 members, 7,956,567 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:13 PM

How Driving Through Water Affects Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Driving Through Water Affects Cars (58350 Views)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / Tthe Power Of My Car Reduces When I Pass Through Water Please I Need Help Honda / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 4:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am happy that I have given you that opportunity to speak up on what has been eating you up about "Ikenna351". Am not surprised of your above post, anyway. Just surprised why it took you that long to "get back at Ikenna" for reasons obvious to you, which I sensed long time ago.

Of course, probably I was the only one who saw the statements of Okiju_juju directed at me in that post as mockery. Of course, he wanted me to come back and explain to him what EFI means with those statements of him to me "who banned him unjustly". Yes, he was the only one who saw the "EFI" I used, but chose to ask for the meaning "humbly".

I acquire knowledge everyday; I learn new things above cars everyday, without embarrassing myself of my ignorance. I would humbly seek for explanation or clarification for something I do not know, but ought to have known before now. I would be ashamed of myself to castigate someone who knows something I ought to have known before now publicly. There is a difference between someone who wants to learn and someone who takes acquisition of knowledge for granted. Of course, after his mocking of my post by him, I was supposed to come back and "smile" back at him while teaching him what EFI means? Of course, Ikenna351 is a punch bag that should take every nonsense from everyone, without stating how I feel. I don't blame you!

Like every other poster in the beginning of this thread, I pointed out only one thing that could happen when one swim with his car: Engine Hydro lock. I went on to explain what usually cause it (lower air intake in most modern cars, so that the engine will be sucking cooler air, for IAT to report to ECU to do a better job in its engine management function, a Typical EFI Car). But he didn't care about my opinion on swimming cars in pool of water, but wanted "the moderator that unjustly banned him" to explain how could he knew what EFI means, instead of writing in plain English, as if that my post was directed at him. Like I said, I don't blame you. You have gotten the opportunity you have been waiting for to deal with Ikenna351. And guess what? You have had it!

[b]Siena, am not you that goes about portraying yourself as "Mr. Perfect" or "Mr. Nice guy". Am not that fake. As a moderator, I get insults from members everyday, which members wont even see, since they are been hidden. The least i could do is to hide such posts and ignore the posters. No ban, no warning, nothing. Am a happy man and i don't take such comments seriously. But on few occasions, i would react, because am a human being with emotions that need to be expressed, which would make some of my posts harsh. But that's what makes me human. I don't hide my flaws or short comings. But what do you do? You go about displaying to those you can deceive "I am a God and he is the Devil". Am not one of your worshippers, you know. So, you can find more derogatory adjectives to qualify me. But do I care? I don't think so.

Well, am happy that you have finally done it, which you have been cooking up inside you. Because, i know exactly where you are coming from. But of course, they (rest of the forum members) don't need to know, because it would be so unprofessional on my part to say more than i have done here. Good luck with your campaign.[/b]

Don't expect my response to you here again, because I don't plan to derail this thread.

Ikenna.

Sweet Mother of GOD!! shocked shocked shocked

**SHAKES HEAD** wipes eyes and reads the highlighted again...

Like wow!!

#No comment... Like seriously, what can I possibly say in response to this.. Dayuuuum!! This dude needs to see a shrink! The brother has deep rooted issues. Seriously, anybody who knows this guy in the real world should get him help. Thats all I'm gonna ever say on this matter..

Now, lets go back to talking about cars and flooding..

3 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am happy that I have given you that opportunity to speak up on what has been eating you up about "Ikenna351". Am not surprised of your above post, anyway. Just surprised why it took you that long to "get back at Ikenna" for reasons obvious to you, which I sensed long time ago.

Of course, probably I was the only one who saw the statements of Okiju_juju directed at me in that post as mockery. Of course, he wanted me to come back and explain to him what EFI means with those statements of him to me "who banned him unjustly". Yes, he was the only one who saw the "EFI" I used, but chose to ask for the meaning "humbly".

I acquire knowledge everyday; I learn new things above cars everyday, without embarrassing myself of my ignorance. I would humbly seek for explanation or clarification for something I do not know, but ought to have known before now. I would be ashamed of myself to castigate someone who knows something I ought to have known before now publicly. There is a difference between someone who wants to learn and someone who takes acquisition of knowledge for granted. Of course, after his mocking of my post by him, I was supposed to come back and "smile" back at him while teaching him what EFI means? Of course, Ikenna351 is a punch bag that should take every nonsense from everyone, without stating how I feel. I don't blame you!

Like every other poster in the beginning of this thread, I pointed out only one thing that could happen when one swim with his car: Engine Hydro lock. I went on to explain what usually cause it (lower air intake in most modern cars, so that the engine will be sucking cooler air, for IAT to report to ECU to do a better job in its engine management function, a Typical EFI Car). But he didn't care about my opinion on swimming cars in pool of water, but wanted "the moderator that unjustly banned him" to explain how could he knew what EFI means, instead of writing in plain English, as if that my post was directed at him. Like I said, I don't blame you. You have gotten the opportunity you have been waiting for to deal with Ikenna351. And guess what? You have had it!

Siena, am not you that goes about portraying yourself as "Mr. Perfect" or "Mr. Nice guy". Am not that fake. As a moderator, I get insults from members everyday, which members wont even see, since they are been hidden. The least i could do is to hide such posts and ignore the posters. No ban, no warning, nothing. Am a happy man and i don't take such comments seriously. But on few occasions, i would react, because am a human being with emotions that need to be expressed, which would make some of my posts harsh. But that's what makes me human. I don't hide my flaws or short comings. But what do you do? You go about displaying to those you can deceive "I am a God and he is the Devil". Am not one of your worshippers, you know. So, you can find more derogatory adjectives to qualify me. But do I care? I don't think so.

Well, am happy that you have finally done it, which you have been cooking up inside you. Because, i know exactly where you are coming from. But of course, they (rest of the forum members) don't need to know, because it would be so unprofessional on my part to say more than i have done here. Good luck with your campaign.

Don't expect my response to you here again, because I don't plan to derail this thread.

Ikenna.

Boy, have you changed?! What was abusive about what I said? All I stated was if one is ignorant, or has less knowledge than yourself with regards technical issues, then by all means, correct them, if you will. Rather than tell those less knowledgeable than yourself, they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

For some reason, you feel you're immune to correction, and take correction as a slight on yourself. You never used to be this way, but in recent times, you've become defensive, the slightest thing gets your back up, Lord knows why. I think you need to lighten up, and not feel everyone who has a contrary view to yours (and state as much) is against you. And all that talk about "worshippers", wow. Where the heck did that come from?

Good luck!

6 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by divinelove(m): 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ikenna351 and siena, u guys should b among d leaders arnd here. These exchange of words is unnecessary. This thread shld not b derailed gentlemen.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2013
What's all these disturbances all about? Please Messers Ikenna, Siena and Okija juju et al. You fellows are looked upon by folks like I and many others and we draw inspiration, ideas and learn new things from you people. Don't let little things set your tempers to the "red" zone. Personally, I believe we ought to respect ourselves and learn to absorb some little comments targeted at us (just as this comment "Did you actually write this or copy and paste stuff?..." Would had pissed me off but I just waived it off) online just as we do offline. And fellow Nl'ers pls let us all think and act matured. Pls think deeply about how your fellow colleagues would react to the comments you intend to post and make necessary corrections where necessary. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 19, 2013
Divinelove and Lomomike, points taken, thanks!

2 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by Okijajuju1(m): 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
^^^

Seconded...

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by McNuelO: 7:00am On Jun 20, 2013
[/color][color=#000099]
divinelove: Hi everyone,
am just wondering how driving through a pool of water deep enough to almost swallow the tyre of sedan cars can affect d car.

Car experts in d house, whats your take on this. Its a common thing here in naija bc of bad roads. Effects on d car n precautions to minimize d effects r welcomed.

Best Regards
I think the major problem will be that the engine will knock if the water is much. Pls do not speed when u aare in the water. 1st is that when u speed the exhuast will notbe able to dischage the combust carbon the it will knock the engine. Secondly is the issue of shaft. If ur shaft protectors are bad, water will wash away the grease and the shaft will start making noise. Another is the wiring that was talked about. Again is that when u are in water ur engine cannot over heat. If its a streiagth engine pls do not allow ur mechanic to permanent ur fan pls.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by viperman: 10:18am On Jun 20, 2013
Okija_juju:

I own Two hyundais.. (One Santa Fe & Sonata..) I have put these cars through very deep waters (In one case, the headlight of my Sonata was well covered) and they both came out of it fine. I live in a reclaimed swamp area that floods everytime it rains.

My wife also drives a Honda City and that car can go full submarine in my books and survive.. Pretty rugged.

Thanks for Affirming their tolerance. I've been a Hyundai lover since i drove the 2010 Sonata smiley
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by viperman: 10:30am On Jun 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

Is like somebody missed road here. Or could be that someone couldn't tell the difference between Car Talk and Romance sections? You don't have to embarrass yourself in a section for serious minded ones, you know.

I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't know what EFI means in this era, and yet own an Fuel injected car.

Ikenna.

Young man, I've been observing your posts a lot in both the auto and cartalk sections over months, and inasmuch as you have SOME LITTLE knowledge about cars, you exude a high level of arrogance/rudeness to people who you FEEL aren't as knowledgeable as you are. This is an online forum where people teach and learn at the sametime, and NO ONE on earth holds monopoly to knowledge or power when it comes to any field. Even in the auto industry, great car enthusiasts like Jeremy Clarkson never claim to know it all. Yes, you might claim to be a GREAT PEUGEOT EXPERT...that is just Peugeot and they are almost extinct right now even.
Now, you even started attacking Siena...was that necessary?

You really need to learn to be nice; if not in real life...at least, online...you never know who is at the other-side of the internet.

4 Likes

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by ZACHIE: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2013
viperman:

Young man, I've been observing your posts a lot in both the auto and cartalk sections over months, a[b]nd inasmuch as you have SOME LITTLE knowledge about cars, [/b]
Why now?
Ikenna that drove a car, a 505 car, from Abuja to Anambra State, a whole Ikenna you are talking to like a small lass (lad).
It is not fair oooo
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by 9icetoo(m): 12:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
in as much i do not buy into ikennas idea of resolving issues online, zachie and viperman, u guys are derailing the thread please. I came here to learn and not waste my MBs reading about people fighting other peoples wars. Sienna was the fellow addressed. He has responded accordingly. Let us allow him and ikenna settle their differences. Please let us not derail thread and contribute effectively. Thank you all. I really hate it when this stupid arguments break out on car talk. I love this section. make una no kill am for me abeg. peace

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by tnktosin(m): 2:31am On Jun 22, 2013
Siena: There's always the risk of any control modules being water damaged, causing short-circuits. But, this isn't the worst that could happen.

If water is drawn through the air intake, the engine will hydro-lock. I'll explain what this means.

Your engine draws air into the intake, mixes it with gasoline or diesel, depending on engine type. This air/fuel mixture is then drawn into your combnustion chamber, where it is compressed by your pistons. I'm not going to go into the spark side of things that ignites the air/fuel mixture here, because it's not relevant. Air is compressible, liquid is not.

So when water is sucked into your combustion chambers, your pistons will try to compress it. With your engine turning over, the pistons will meet resistance, and the first things to give are the connecting rods. If you're lucky, and the engine shuts down early, there'll be minimal damage . The plugs can be removed, the engine cranked over, and the water blown out. If you're unlucky, and the engine doesn't shut down early, your connecting rods will bend, as there's no way the pistons can compress the water in the cylinders.

Sometimes, an engine a slightly bent conrod or two MAY run after the water in the cylinders has been blown out (by removing the plugs) but it'll never be right. The cylinders with bent rods will have the pistons stop short of TDC (Top Dead Centre) which will mean lower compression in the affected cylinders, and poor running.

In some cases, bent connecting rods will smash holes in your cylinder block, with the conrods and sometimes pistons exiting the side of the engine.

There are no ifs or buts. If you want to hang onto your automobile for a long time, and not have to spend $$$ when you don't have to, avoid driving through flooded roads.

I can't understand what "Nadoson" is stating, and his analogies are way off the mark. You don't deliberately drive your automobile through a Ford, and expect all to be well.
Nuff respect to the boss. @the bolded is what happened to my car (honda pilot) last year when it got flooded. The car went off by itself but i tried starting it right inside the pool of water (bonnet level), guess what, two connecting rods got bent and trust naija mechanics, they had a field day. I eventually had to get a new engine this January. Moral of the story: A car is a car, not a boat.
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by megastu(m): 10:07am On Jun 22, 2013
@Nadoson, it is Hyundai Accent 2008 Model.

1 Like

Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by tck2000(m): 1:15pm On Jun 06, 2019
dest
Re: How Driving Through Water Affects Cars by GabrielMagarey: 6:29pm On May 19, 2022
We offer a broad range of high quality LED chips, system modules and automotive lighting solutions. These products are used in the development of innovative lighting solutions in the areas of lighting design, vehicle lights, backlights, lamps and more. >get it from here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ever Since I Bought A Mercedes Benz, It's Been One Trouble To Another / Ford Sues John Cena For Selling High-End Car Within A Month Of Purchase / This Is The Baddest Toyota Hilux You've Ever Seen (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.