Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,351 members, 7,812,003 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel (9660 Views)

109 Senators To Train In Facebook / War On Terrorism: India Pledges To Train Nigerian Security - Vanguard / Posters Of Jonathan And Buhari Compete For Space In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by SamIkenna: 8:20pm On Jun 19, 2013
My goodness! When you think we've turned the corner on misplaced priorities there comes another one. Going to the space at this stage of our national life for what? For bragging right? Someone should tell GEJ to shelve this nonsense idea. This is akin to building an atomic collider for an Almajiri. What is he going to do with it? Is it not better to first build a primary school for an Almajiri before proceeding to secondary school? Who told this admin to embark on this vainglorious project when engineering schools in Nigeria don't even have enough computers to teach computer science undergrads ordinary c-programing.

A computer science degree holder in Nigeria recently told me she doesnt know what C compiler looks like. She knows nothing about Low-level language, nothing about Java or C. She's only programmed in Basic. And this is coming from a very smart girl (currently pursuing her masters in a one of the 3 best universities in Nigeria). With this picture one begins to wonder what the priorities of our govt are.

A first semester junior in most US universities (in ECE or CS) knows how to analyse X86 architecture, can program very complex algorithm both in low and high level languages, and can design and implement a simple architecture - like LC-3. Guess what? he's not even considered an engineer yet - perhaps, has about 2-3 yrs away from graduation. Unfortunately, in our own case the govt is talking about Space program. Space program when our graduates have no tools to function as proper graduates.

And you ask - How does a person move from Almajiri to professorship and from miseducation to space astronaut? Simple - good schools coupled with incentives to do better. Right now we have none of the above. Instead of wasting this money on a project that will certainly collapse in 5 years due to zero readiness and preparedness, I 'll advise GEJ to put the money on the existing engieering colleges. Make them better and at the right time we will be in space. If we go ahead with this project now, the only thing we will achieve is to take a ride in another man's space-craft.

Pls dont waste this money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 19, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: My goodness! When you think we've turned the corner on misplaced priorities there comes another one. Going to the space at this stage of our national life for what? For bragging right? Someone should tell GEJ to shelve this nonsense idea. This is akin to building an atomic collider for an Almajiri. What is he going to do with it? Is it not better to first build a primary school for an Almajiri before proceeding to secondary school? Who told this admin to embark on this vainglorious project when engineering schools in Nigeria don't even have enough computers to teach computer science undergrads ordinary c-programing.

A computer science degree holder in Nigeria recently told me she doesnt know what C compiler looks like. She knows nothing about Low-level language, nothing about Java or C. She's only programmed in Basic. And this is coming from a very smart girl (currently pursuing her masters in a one of the 3 best universities in Nigeria). With this picture one begins to wonder what the priorities of our govt are.

A first semester junior in most US universities (in ECE or CS) knows how to analyse X86 architecture, can program very complex algorithm both in low and high level languages, and can design and implement a simple architecture - like LC-3. Guess what? he's not even considered an engineer yet - perhaps, has about 2-3 yrs away from graduation. Unfortunately, in our own case the govt is talking about Space program. Space program when our graduates have no tools to function as proper graduates.

And you ask - How does a person move from Almajiri to professorship and from miseducation to space astronaut? Simple - good schools coupled with incentives to do better. Right now we have none of the above. Instead of wasting this money on a project that will certainly collapse in 5 years due to zero readiness and preparedness, I 'll advise GEJ to put the money on the existing engieering colleges. Make them better and at the right time we will be in space. If we go ahead with this project now, the only thing we will achieve is to take a ride in another man's space-craft.

Pls dont waste this money.

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by matrixme(m): 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
Even though I'm a futurist and very optimistic about Nigeria, yet I had to laugh like those mynock piggies in Angry Birds when I clicked on this link. This must be a comic relief for the moment; for us to enjoy while it lasts! Hope they know that they don't don space suits on fire brigades and launch them up there?
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Phonon: 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
Tuesday May 29,3050 20:00

Alabukun Space Station, Lagos

Despite hiccups ranging from astronauts protesting over unpaid salaries to a director in the Ministry of Science and Technology diverting funds budgeted for rocket fuel,Nigeria would launch its inaugural manned space flight, Obatala 1 in a few hours.

Six astronauts from all the geopolitical zones of the country,the Senate President,five ministers and eight governors would be on board the two-stage rocket which was manufactured exclusively at Oluwachukwuemeka Defence Systems,Enugu.

There were initial scuffles between the ministers and governors over who would be on the inaugural flight as the National Space Agency had told the politicians that they needed months of zero-,gravity training to which some of them scoffed claiming they have been flying abroad for years without problems.

A special generator was donated by Mikano to prevent any problems from PHCN.Elated Nigerians hailed this development which put the country in the technological spotlight even though space travel have long been abandoned by many countries round the world.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Ironi: 8:58pm On Jun 19, 2013
Nigerians and their yeye.

Have you checked the number of Nigerians living below poverty level? Worse than any country in Africa.

No of children not going to school or learning under trees in the jungle, worse than any country in Africa.

You want train people for space? For what purpose?
To beat your chest?
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 9:10pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ironi: Nigerians and their yeye.

Have you checked the number of Nigerians living below poverty level? Worse than any country in Africa.

No of children not going to school or learning under trees in the jungle, worse than any country in Africa.

You want train people for space? For what purpose?
To beat your chest?

Now the ghanian arrives.
Thank you for not disappointing.
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
Like i said before,those funds should be used for the ongoing missile programme atleast for now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by goodtalk(m): 9:22pm On Jun 19, 2013
eGuerrilla: As the largest Black nation, I see nothing wrong with being aspirational. cheesy
Who knows if there are Black inhabitants on Mars waiting to be discovered tongue ([s]suspends reason and goes into illuminati mode[/s])

ha ha ha ha ha ha hi hi hi ha hi ;d' bulk of useless government people, they should reserch the cost of the US space program! No be rice and beans money, and it takes years to build a rocket and preaper a crew to space, embezlers they are looking for where to chop money. They even said they are looking between now and 2015 to archeive this dream. Hiiissssssssssss

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 19, 2013
iIn the words of the great FELA!!!!!!!!!!
MANY LEADERS AS YOU SEE DEM

NA DIFFERENT DISGUISE DEM DEY-OH

ANIMAL IN HUMAN SKIN

ANIMAL-E PUT-U TIE-OH

ANIMAL-E WEAR AGBADA

ANIMAL-E PUT-U SUIT-U

ANIMAL IN HUMAN SKIN
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Ironi: 10:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
solomon111: Now the ghanian arrives.
Thank you for not disappointing.

My brother, me I dey help you ooo.

In Africa our leaders are very dumb, no imagination.
This is not about Nigeria alone, the whole Africa.

I can not stand poverty stricken African countries embarking on stuupid projects.

For some reason Nigeria thinks it's a rich country and can afford big stuupid projects but the reality on the ground
speaks differently.

Use your oil money wisely for no situation is permanent

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Capableben(m): 11:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
cogitoErgo: do they mean training of sattelite and rocket engineers or astronauts? if its d former, i think its OK, but if its the later, I think they are joking
HOW DO U MEAN?

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 11:22pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ironi:

I can not stand poverty stricken African countries embarking on stuupid projects.

For some reason Nigeria thinks it's a rich country and can afford big stuupid projects but the reality on the ground
speaks differently.

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 11:31pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ironi:

speaks differently.

what do you mean no condition is permanent?
You think Nigeria will get poorer?
Infact the reason why Nigeria is still poor is because of free and readily available oil money.
The sooner the oil get finished,the sooner our leaders start tapping other viable sources of wealth that will have an effect on the masses like manufacturing,agriculture and ICT.
Infact the shortage of oil revenue may be the best thing to happen to Nigeria.
And yes i believe sending people to space is too costly and unnecessary for now.
They should divert those funds to the current missile programme.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by olusola2bello: 12:31am On Jun 20, 2013
;DBros....una no go kill person for nairaland o....abeg make I sleep before pple start to dey wonder y I dey laf for midnite... grin grin
bornosheikh: Only when the astronaut realises (5,000 ft up) that the booster fuel has been sold by the ground operatives to local market women in Epe as cooking oil will we realise the chickens have come home to roost. Or the engine was exchanged sharply for a reconditioned DAF truck engine will naija wahala enter space tori!
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by olusola2bello: 12:36am On Jun 20, 2013
grin u forgot to add governors wives too na...hardware must go with software... grin....but bros..3050 too far na
Phonon: Tuesday May 29,3050 20:00

Alabukun Space Station, Lagos

Despite hiccups ranging from astronauts protesting over unpaid salaries to a director in the Ministry of Science and Technology diverting funds budgeted for rocket fuel,Nigeria would launch its inaugural manned space flight, Obatala 1 in a few hours.

Six astronauts from all the geopolitical zones of the country,the Senate President,five ministers and eight governors would be on board the two-stage rocket which was manufactured exclusively at Oluwachukwuemeka Defence Systems,Enugu.

There were initial scuffles between the ministers and governors over who would be on the inaugural flight as the National Space Agency had told the politicians that they needed months of zero-,gravity training to which some of them scoffed claiming they have been flying abroad for years without problems.

A special generator was donated by Mikano to prevent any problems from PHCN.Elated Nigerians hailed this development which put the country in the technological spotlight even though space travel have long been abandoned by many countries round the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Okijajuju1(m): 7:37am On Jun 20, 2013
A-ZeD:

You forgot to mention that the Chinese have functional hospitals and a sound educational system. You can't build a house without a foundation. Once you get the basics right, everything will fall into place.

So sending astronauts to space for holiday is the only way the ministry of science and technology can be developed abi?

Let me just ask..

Everything that would be used in the space travel, from the pressure suits to helmet to spaceship to even the spark plug of the spaceship to the computers to monitor the flight to the cameras and even the fuel that the spaceship would use, which one of these technologies would have a purely Nigerian fingerprint? That is, which one of the many components of this travel can Nogeria say they researched, developed and made or even own the technological blueprint?

Na wah o!

People dey for my country wey never see water drink, over 85% of government school science labs nationwide don't have simple Bunsen burner, na space travel we dey reason..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Ironi: 7:57am On Jun 20, 2013
solomon111: what do you mean no condition is permanent?
You think Nigeria will get poorer?
Infact the reason why Nigeria is still poor is because of free and readily available oil money.
The sooner the oil get finished,the sooner our leaders start tapping other viable sources of wealth that will have an effect on the masses like manufacturing,agriculture and ICT.
Infact the shortage of oil revenue may be the best thing to happen to Nigeria.
And yes i believe sending people to space is too costly and unnecessary for now.
They should divert those funds to the current missile programme.

Are you drunk?
Nigeria cannot undertake a fraction of their current projects without oil money.
Nigeria was paying contractors with oil when it started it's huge projects like road
Constructions. What ? You'll pay with cola?
Manufacture what? Agriculture and ICT? You kidding me?

Go do the Maths and tell me how much revenue Nigeria gets from
Oil and see whether in a million years you could get anything close to that
with your so-called manufacturing, agriculture and ICT.

Divert the money to the missile program? You are one funny dude!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by everyday: 8:30am On Jun 20, 2013
It is joke.I remember when they announced that we had launched a satelite into space only after some days we were told that the satelite was missing in orbit
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 8:41am On Jun 20, 2013
everyday: It is joke.I remember when they announced that we had launched a satelite into space only after some days we were told that the satelite was missing in orbit
retard
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by wirinet(m): 9:03am On Jun 20, 2013
Avenue for the minister to chop money. Do they have an idea of the cost and technologies needed for a space program? President Jonathan approves any rubbish presented to him. How many countries in the world can afford a space program? Outside the US, Russia and recently China, no other country has embarked on a space program. The whole of Europe are cooperating under one space agency and they are unable to compete with russia and the US.

It was only last week the plan to start making motorcycle in Nigeria for God sake, am i am sure what they tag "made in Nigeria" motorcycles simply means assembled in Nigeria. Ordinary motorcycle engine, they cannot make, and they want to make a 3 stage space rocket or is it space shuttle?v

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 20, 2013
Thinking big, me like it. Go Naijan.
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 20, 2013
wirinet: Avenue for the minister to chop money. Do they gave an idea of the cost and technologies needed for a space program? President Jonathan approves any rubbish presented to him. How many countries in the world can afford a space program? Ourside the US, Russia and recently China, no other country has embarked on a space program. The whole of Europe are cooperating under one space agency and they are unable to compete with russia and the US.

It was only last week the plan to start making motorcycle in Nigeria for God sake, am i am sure what they tag "made in Nigeria" motorcycles simply means assembled in Nigeria. Ordinary motorcycle engine, they cannot make, and they want to make a 3 stage space rocket or is it space shuttle?v
villagers, by their posts we shall know them
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by wirinet(m): 9:36am On Jun 20, 2013
sheyie2007:
villagers, by their posts we shall know them

Only empty heads make meaningless comments. If you have any sense at all you will dispute my points instead of an emotional outburst.

I doubt you know what space means, not to talk of embarking on a space program. You need basic science education.

Edit: I regret responding to your comment after taking a look at your post history. They are all shallow, meaningless and of no intellectual value whatsoever. Next time i will look at the post history of people posting senseless posts to see if the person deserves my attention.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by HezronLorraine(m): 9:53am On Jun 20, 2013
zetdee: Thinking big, me like it. Go Naijan.
praise Jesus.so something good can come out of your electronic device about naija.seems u've been revived.
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 10:13am On Jun 20, 2013
Ironi:

Are you drunk?
Nigeria cannot undertake a fraction of their current projects without oil money.
Nigeria was paying contractors with oil when it started it's huge projects like road
Constructions. What ? You'll pay with cola?
Manufacture what? Agriculture and ICT? You kidding me?

Go do the Maths and tell me how much revenue Nigeria gets from
Oil and see whether in a million years you could get anything close to that
with your so-called manufacturing, agriculture and ICT.

Divert the money to the missile program? You are one funny dude!
where do i even start from?
Compared to sectors like solid mineral mining,agriculture,and even ICT, oil holds the less promise.
I agree with you that oil is fundamental to Nigeria's economy currently due to the over-dependence on it which is unfortunate as we have more viable and more economically imparting resources than oil .
Nigeria was a major agriculture power before oil and we were much better in terms of standard of living.
All the states in Nigeria are sufficiently endowed in various natural resources,but the whole nation is depending on just oil.
The richest countries in the world are not oil-producing and i can assure you that Nigeria would do much better without oil.
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 20, 2013
wirinet:

Only empty heads make meaningless comments. If you have any sense at all you will dispute my points instead of an emotional outburst.

I doubt you know what space means, not to talk of embarking on a space program. You need basic science education.

Edit: I regret responding to your comment after taking a look at your post history. They are all shallow, meaningless and of no intellectual value whatsoever. Next time i will look at the post history of people posting senseless posts to see if the person deserves my attention.
look at this dumb phuck, have you taken time to go through this thread, I've provided countless info on NIGERIA's manufacturing capability.. but you chose to be a retard in your views... Votsoek!
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by solomon111(m): 10:22am On Jun 20, 2013
^^
btw,Nigeria is currently an emerging manufacturing country.
Our manufacturing sector is growing.
Close to 8% of our foreign revenues in 2012 was from the manufacturing sector.
Oil has prevented the govt from taking that sector more seriously.
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 20, 2013
solomon111: ^^
I posted info on the military hardwares we are manufacturing but the retard claimed we can't manufacture shiit
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by TruthFM(m): 10:41am On Jun 20, 2013
Please anyone Abeg, If you know who's recreuiting am interested. I know its one of those government jobs that you will just sit down and collect salary while running my business on the side. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by wirinet(m): 10:41am On Jun 20, 2013

Yes manufacturing has improved but that is different thing altogether from a space program. Japan, Brasil, south Korea, Canada, south africa and loads of industrial nations are manufacturing far more than us, but they do not undertake and expensive and unprofitable space program.

I should know about the increase in manufacturing activities more as i live in Ikorodu and surrounded by many manufacturing companies, the problem is the increase in manufacturing is not much beneficial to Nigerians in general. Most of these new manufacturing companies are owned by foreigners - mostly Chinese. They control 80% of the manufacturing outfits in ikorodu. They have access to cheap funds from their home governments, they have a lot of assistance from the state governments in the form of cheap or even free land, and they know how to bypass relevant laws, taxes and duties. The worse is that they bring in most of their high level workers and leave Nigeria with menial jobs that pays less than 10,000 a month. I have cousins that work in some of these companies.

What the government need to do is to provide incentives, for small and medium scale indigenous businesses, that is the hob of any industrialization drive and not a few foreign controlled mega companies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by dlox147(m): 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
Salmoneus: We can't even figure out 24 hrs power supply...
i dnt understand y pple like u choose to be ignorant for d power the govt has done what is xpected.please i beg u take ur time to study the power road map, it will help educate u on the progress so far in the power sector. yes we dont have power now but with the present arrangment we maybe on our way to saying goodbye to constant power failure..now back to OP..the govt's intention is clear to start training in preparation for futyre plans! or please suggest the best time to do this?..bro to be successful u need to plan for the future so wake up grin
Re: Nigeria To Train Astronauts For Space Travel by Ironi: 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2013

Pray tell, what you manufacture and where you export your products to?
Very curious.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Count Me Out Of Alleged Impeachment Plot Against Fayose –ekiti Lawmaker / There’ll Be No Cabal In My Govt. – Atiku / Governor Obaseki Has Changed The Name Of The University In Oshiomhole's Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.