Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:25 AM

Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell (14515 Views)

Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) / Soyinka: The Chauvinist Bitterness For The Empowerment Of Women In Nigeria / Wole Soyinka: The Next Phase Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by IleIfe2(m): 5:43am On Jun 20, 2013
When this man dies, i wish he permits his brain be removed and fixed on a robot so we can have him for eternity. i hope i'm not being offensive. cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:12am On Jun 20, 2013
Ile-Ife:
When this man dies, i wish he permits his brain be removed and fixed on a robot so we can have him for eternity. i hope i'm not being offensive. cheesy cheesy cheesy
funny , when great professors like this man die, do we have upcoming ones who have not been soiled by tribalist sentiment to replace them?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 6:14am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson: See how WS was able to place these people where they rightfully belong without them being able to decipher. If they had, they would have infested this thread long time ago.

Who are you referring to as "these people". No fear, be bold to generalise after all nobody knows you. In case you haven't noticed you yorubas have been left to start your hate threads on NL and continue unchallenged by igbo posters. The people u have been trained to hate really don't bother to go back and forth with you anymore. But have the decency (if possible) not to drag an old universally loved hero into the mud with you by spinning his words to feel good.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by fr3do(m): 6:17am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Don't cause a scene you won't be fit to play in, young man. Be warned.

he has the right to expression.
Wole didnt attend the funeral because the whole place would have been filled by the same people that regarded him as Achebe's enemy.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 20, 2013
The word "enemy" is too strong a word...enemy over what? Healthy rivals....yes, but enemity is absolutely a wrong word to qualify the relationship between WS and CA ( may his soul rest in peace)
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by abu12: 6:28am On Jun 20, 2013
Even a professor will go so low to read meaning to the cause of CA accident because WS gave CA a spotless ram on his birthday, and see WS as his enemy. And now that he did not attend his burial some still see him as CA enemy.

Life is full beef
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 6:29am On Jun 20, 2013
when you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record. ;Dwhen you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 6:32am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead: when you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record. ;Dwhen you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record.

Don't just regurgitate what other people have posted without thinking. Are the people that Soyinka is referring to NL posters? Or are u implying that the sage is a nairalander

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead: when you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record. ;Dwhen you wanna war restraint from warring with a walking encyclopedia. reminiscing modenine punchline blows sending rugged man to retirement. the people this piece is directed to can't even decipher the message for them to come up with a reply. hope y'all shyteheads will move on with your hate after this three seconds k.o. even Ali plus mike Tyson can't best this k.o record.

grin grin cheesy

Raphead....when are you going to release your album ?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 6:39am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Don't just regurgitate what other people have posted without thinking. Are the people that Soyinka is referring to NL posters? Or are u implying that the sage is a nairalander

hey doofus will you stfu. ain't y'all simpletons all spewing the hate crested in your DNA during the father of literature shyte issue. one simple word to describe y'all is CLANNISH and BACKWARD irritants.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 6:40am On Jun 20, 2013
ilugunboy:

grin grin cheesy

Raphead....when are you going to release your album ?

I no dey release album ooo. I just be underground rap enthusiast.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by DuduNegro: 6:45am On Jun 20, 2013
Where are the bronze casters of Ife to give us "Ori Akinwande Oluwole" ?

.....the beard and the afro in all its gray wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Gbawe: 7:04am On Jun 20, 2013
Jenams: From all indication, Wole Soyinka is talking to one man. Read this_________________________________Dove-Edwin
had received communication that some
of “Chinua’s people” – A UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR among them, WHO WAS NAMED
– had pronounced publicly that “Chinua
should have known better than to accept a spotless ram from his enemy” – yes, that was the word used – “enemy”. I verified this report from various other
sources.

Wole Soyinka is not talking about one individual per se. He has in mind those who collectively specified that it was the Ram Soyinka sent as a gift to Achebe that caused the accident Achebe later had. He mentions the "university Professor" to emphasise the absurdity of illogical and superstitious belief even education fails to cure.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 7:13am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

hey doofus will you stfu. ain't y'all simpletons all spewing the hate crested in your DNA during the father of literature shyte issue. one simple word to describe y'all is CLANNISH and BACKWARD irritants.

Crap rapper.

While your mates are signing multimillion buck deals you dey here dey rap on politics board so bigots from your neck of the woods can pat your back and donate a few likes

Your idiocy is predictable and yet astonishing if you really think Soyinka is talking about NL. Did you see ME on any "father of literature" thread? Its easy to identify the Clan Oriented and Backward cos they aren't hard to spot. Its obvious you are one of the people too obtuse and intellectually challenged to know what Soyinka is actually talkin about. To the lame of mind, he was making a bigoted statement. I honesly pity this country based on the calibre of so called leaders of tomorrow. They are frightfully shallow.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by tchaik(m): 7:15am On Jun 20, 2013
Starlett: [size=14pt]On my return to Nigeria, I could not wait to take the opportunity of a public lecture to invite all desperate enemies to please send me their rams of choice – spotless, spotted, piebald, striped or nondescript – so I could treat starving writers to free meals in my home for the rest of the year. And I promised to taste a piece of each ram before serving.[/size]

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

You said one but you gave two, you must be very 'sophisticated' cheesy
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson: See how WS was able to place these people where they rightfully belong without them being able to decipher. If they had, they would have infested this thread long time ago.
Your chauvinist part finally got the better of you just when i thinking you have become sensible by telling that guy not to derail the thread earlier. You finally vomited the tribal rubbish that has been forcing itself up your gastrum just when i was thinking of extending my olive branch. grin Well..the question is, does a leopard change it's spots?...i mean even the 'geriatic and nobel' ones.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 20, 2013
If you read this essay on Sahara Reporters, you would realize that the picture of WS used suits his mood - anger.

How I wish we have more people like Wole Soyinka, the people he is refering to would have had a change of attitude or keyed into reality. Does it not baffle you that hours after this post was made, they read it before going to bed, and woke this morning without a clue of what Kongi is saying?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 20, 2013
dozzybaba: Your chauvinist part finally got the better of you just when i thinking you have become sensible by telling that guy not to derail the thread earlier. You finally vomited the tribal rubbish that has been forcing itself up your gastrum just when i was thinking of extending my olive branch. grin Well..the question is, does a leopard change it's spots?...i mean even the 'geriatic and nobel' ones.
May never decipher what the prof means. Amen.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson: If you read this essay on Sahara Reporters, you would realize that the picture of WS used suits his mood - anger.

How I wish we have more people like Wole Soyinka, the people he is refering to would have had a change of attitude or keyed into reality. Does it not baffle you that hours after this post was made, they read it before going to bed, and woke this morning without a clue of what Kongi is saying?
Interpreted clearly...only yoruba brains are 'sophisticated' enough to understand what he said...right?...Say it loudly and stand by it. Stop the verbal perambulations!
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 20, 2013
Wole Soyinka hardly uses difficult words, but well-thought grammatical constructs that make the reader or listener think they are being carried along, only to be dumbfounded when asked what the professor said.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson: Wole Soyinka hardly uses difficult words, but well-thought grammatical constructs that make the reader or listener think they are being carried along, only to be dumbfounded when asked what the professor said.
You've said this close to a hundred times. Maybe you are repeating yourself in a bid to get his message.... Maybe you are the one who simply does not understand him.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 20, 2013
What could the moderators say is making this thread not to be given front page?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 8:13am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Crap rapper.

While your mates are signing multimillion buck deals you dey here dey rap on politics board so bigots from your neck of the woods can pat your back and donate a few likes

Your idiocy is predictable and yet astonishing if you really think Soyinka is talking about NL. Did you see ME on any "father of literature" thread? Its easy to identify the Clan Oriented and Backward cos they aren't hard to spot. Its obvious you are one of the people too obtuse and intellectually challenged to know what Soyinka is actually talkin about. To the lame of mind, he was making a bigoted statement. I honesly pity this country based on the calibre of so called leaders of tomorrow. They are frightfully shallow.

shytehead dingbat, since you wanna stick to stupidity let me to take you to the cleaners where you belong. talking about signing deals, hello man how do liking and admiring underground rap game make you to sign mega bucks deal. and fyi I don't dig the commercial boys crap. may be you check up the meaning of enthusiast. slow androids like you are too slow for my level of rap music. talib kweli, commons, big daddy Kane, ras kas, rakim, modenine et al. hey man your lack of comprehension of even nursery rhythm is so evidence in the shyte you put up there. who is talking about nairaland. maybe you miss the part where the prof says the proponents of this hate are infesting young souls on the internet sinister to terrorist cells. ain't nairaland part of the internet platform this hate indoctrination has been clearly brought to the notice of everyone clicking to open the website. intellectually challenged village champion like you should stick with your palmwine shop discussion and stop dabbling in issues your ret.arded grey matter can't decrypt.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 8:20am On Jun 20, 2013
wow. it's official WS is just like his people. A tribal, hate filled mongrel. Chinua Achebe dies, unable to.defend himself, and Wole Soyinka took the opportunity to make wild accusation about the man. Pretended to be his friend all this years. He waited till the man dies, and then unleashed his bigotry hatefilled mind. I'm trying to phatom why the heck will you smile, called a man your bestfriend, my brother, etc when the man is still alive and then do a complete 360 when he dies. in my opinion that's the major definition of cowardly. here i thought WS was different from the rest of his people. At least now, we know. dem all the same. Instead of him wasting his time yarning rubbish everywhere, maybe he should focus on his barely selling books. spare us jor with the tales that CA jealoused your award. a tae that we can't find anything else to verify it to another take that CA saw him as an enemy. another tale that nothing ,other than WS saying it, verfies. one more thing i forgot to add, a man that is secure with himself and truly believe insult giving to him are not accurate representation of himself does not waste his time writing long but boring articles to defend himself against those he believe are not in his level. Take a close look at CA reaction with your people barade of insult from his last book and learn from it.

kinda glad i didn't finish reading this. the little i read was a waste. WS thank you for continuing showing your true colors. At least we know who you ae now. I'm glad you let the facade fall.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Vansnickers: 8:26am On Jun 20, 2013
Beautiful! I enjoyed every minute of it.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 8:29am On Jun 20, 2013
dozzybaba: You said one but you gave two, you must be very 'sophisticated' cheesy

the other handle sent you to the grave. now you wanna pick a fight with the new handle. killing you with verbose is as simple as sipping mango juice at the courtyard in agodi.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by naptu2: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2013
Starlett:
Before the promotion of that alternative cause-and-effect however, Dove-Edwin had re-scheduled, and we had a most bracing, optimistic afternoon with Chinua. Yes, our patient was eventually told the cause of the earlier postponement, and he had a good laugh.

http://saharareporters.com/column/village-mourners-association-wole-soyinka

naptu2: I think I can understand how he feels (I've been there before). You have a friend whom you've known for decades. Both of you discuss all the time. You collaborate. You know his mind. One day he dies and people who have never spoken to him before start claiming all sorts of things on his behalf.

For the record, Achebe always rejected the title of father of African literature. Soyinka knows this because he knows Achebe personally.

Thursday 12 November 2009 14.53 GMT

[size=14pt]Achebe rejects endorsement as 'father of modern African literature'[/size]

Nigerian novelist says he resists the tag 'very, very strongly' because it obscures the role of many other writers.

Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has spoken out about his dislike at being labelled "the father of modern African literature".

The author of the multi-million bestseller Things Fall Apart, Achebe was given the label by Nadine Gordimer as he was awarded the Man Booker International prize two years ago; it has been frequently used both before and since. But the author said yesterday that he "resisted that very, very strongly".

"It's really a serious belief of mine that it's risky for anyone to lay claim to something as huge and important as African literature ... the contribution made down the ages. I don't want to be singled out as the one behind it because there were many of us – many, many of us," he said when asked about the title.

Achebe was speaking to the student newspaper of Brown University, the Brown Daily Herald, before a welcome event at the university as he joined the faculty as professor of Africana studies. He will be overseeing a new initiative at Brown, the Chinua Achebe Colloquium on Africa, which the university said would be developed "in keeping with his life's work to foster greater knowledge of Africa".

Achebe said that the idea of the colloquium would be "to take issues that come up". "Today Africa is a continent of issues wherever you look, and so I thought the best thing to do now is not to limit ourselves to one or two or even three issues, but to look at Africa bursting with problems and find out what we can do in each case," he told the student paper.

"For instance, the issue of governance, which is a major problem – presidents that do not want to retire when their terms are up, elections that are rigged, violence at elections ... Whatever we are doing, we're not doing right. Nigeria has been independent for nearly 50 years and look where we are."

Achebe, 78, is the author of numerous novels, including Arrow of God, A Man of the People and Anthills of the Savannah as well as his 1958 debut, Things Fall Apart, and a wide range of short stories and poetry. He is also known for his essays, with his 1975 piece An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness savaging Joseph

Conrad's novel as "thoroughgoingly racist".

His new book, The Education of a British-Protected Child, is a collection of autobiographical essays reflecting on his upbringing in Nigeria, and is due out from Allen Lane in January in the UK. The publisher described it as "a vivid, ironic and delicately nuanced portrait of growing up in colonial Nigeria and inhabiting its 'middle ground', examining both his happy memories of reading English adventure stories in secondary school and also the harsher truths of colonial rule". Its contents "span reflections on personal and collective identity, on home and family, on literature, language and politics, and on Achebe's lifelong attempt to reclaim the definition of 'Africa' for its own authorship".

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/12/achebe-rejects-father-modern-african-literature
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 20, 2013
This thread must not make front page. The likes of Ola Johnson, One_Naira, Raphead are exactly the type WS has taken to the cleaners with this fantastic piece and under 3 pages, they've come true to form. Everyday I see that father of literature thread expand, I'm disgusted and amazed at the sheer negative energy.

This shyte is old. Refrain from bigotry. Its a poison!

Brother TouchDown writes from Lagos, Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by abu12: 8:39am On Jun 20, 2013
@ One_Naira, thank God you didn't finish reading it, how did you come to conclusion that WS see CA as his enemy. Stop spewing rubbish if you can't comprehend

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 9:03am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

shytehead dingbat, since you wanna stick to stupidity let me to take you to the cleaners where you belong. talking about signing deals, hello man how do liking and admiring underground rap game make you to sign mega bucks deal. and fyi I don't dig the commercial boys crap. may be you check up the meaning of enthusiast. slow androids like you are too slow for my level of rap music. talib kweli, commons, big daddy Kane, ras kas, rakim, modenine et al. hey man your lack of comprehension of even nursery rhythm is so evidence in the shyte you put up there. who is talking about nairaland. maybe you miss the part where the prof says the proponents of this hate are infesting young souls on the internet sinister to terrorist cells. ain't nairaland part of the internet platform this hate indoctrination has been clearly brought to the notice of everyone clicking to open the website. intellectually challenged village champion like you should stick with your palmwine shop discussion and stop dabbling in issues your ret.arded grey matter can't decrypt.

Oh no! I've been talking to eggheaders all this while. Smallie first of all the rapper is known as Common not "commons". I will school you on hip hop later not now

You are a mixed bag of puppy like enthusiasm, sheepish followership and lack of polish. If you were not talking about NL then why did u bring up Soyinka's words in the context of a NL thread on father of literature I ask you again, did you see ME in "Father of African Literature" thread? Abi u pick skunk for ground this morning on the way your farm?

If you want know people who are victims of indoctrination via the internet, you should start with a look in the mirror. Soyinka is talking about ppl like u and if you think otherwise because he's your tribesman then I'm genuinely sorry for you. Like the weasel you are you must be happy you can spin Soyinka's words.

If you think he's pointing fingers at an entire ethnic group then grow a pair and stand on it. Hiding behind crap rap lyrics can't save you.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 20, 2013
TouchDown, I only debate without tribal bigotry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fayose Holds Peace Talk With His Lawmakers,19 APC Lawmakers Absent (photos) / Who Hasn’t Seen This? See What A Chinese Woman Is Doing With Goat On The Street! / INEC Releases Final List For December 5 Bye-Elections Across 11 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.