Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell (14329 Views)

Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) / Soyinka: The Chauvinist Bitterness For The Empowerment Of Women In Nigeria / Wole Soyinka: The Next Phase Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 9:06am On Jun 20, 2013
abu12: @ One_Naira, thank God you didn't finish reading it, how did you come to conclusion that WS see CA as his enemy. Stop spewing rubbish if you can't comprehend

slowpoke that cannot read trying to teach. see oxymoron. let me say it as slowly since your ignorant can't comprehend what i said. WS accused CA of hating on his noble prize award. a statement that cannot be verified other than WS saying. now once more WS accused CA of another hate filled statement;he, CA, denyed him, WS, access to visit him, CA after the accident because he, CA, saw him, WS, as an enemy that caused him, CA, his accident. once more another wild accusation that nothing can verify. only a hate filled pretender would come out and accuse an innocent man of things that cannot be verified. If your @ss can't read between the lines, i sure can. Go thank your literature teacher for wasting your time.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 20, 2013
The Yoruba word for a professor, "ojogbon", best describes Wole Soyinka..

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 9:13am On Jun 20, 2013
TouchDown: This thread must not make front page. The likes of Ola Johnson, One_Naira, Raphead are exactly the type WS has taken to the cleaners with this fantastic piece and under 3 pages, they've come true to form. Everyday I see that father of literature thread expand, I'm disgusted and amazed at the sheer negative energy.

This shyte is old. Refrain from bigotry. Its a poison!

Brother TouchDown writes from Lagos, Nigeria.

You are first person on this thread to deconstruct Soyinka's article. I salute u. However I believe One Naira is just angry. You will hardly see him starting all this muck. He's just hot tempered and reacting to the comments.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 9:19am On Jun 20, 2013
TouchDown: This thread must not make front page. The likes of Ola Johnson, One_Naira, Raphead are exactly the type WS has taken to the cleaners with this fantastic piece and under 3 pages, they've come true to form. Everyday I see that father of literature thread expand, I'm disgusted and amazed at the sheer negative energy.

This shyte is old. Refrain from bigotry. Its a poison!

Brother TouchDown writes from Lagos, Nigeria.

don't ever put me in the lines of ola johnson and raphead ever again. if you want to insult me, insult me but don't you ever link me with disgracful beings. I'll insult Yoruba anytime, i ain't going to deny I've done it before, and I'll do it again anytime they insult my people. unlike some people, i retaliate, i don't start. unlike those people i don't go around seeking trouble with the people i find despicable. I don't go around poking fun and trying to insult others just for the fun of it and i don't go around creating multiple IDs to use other ethnic groups names to insult the people that i cannot stand nor do i go around making up wild tales to insult people again. learn from this. don't ever insultme like that again by linking me with morons you hear. once more, if you going to accuse me of sh1t, then accuse me of sh1t I'm actually doing. I haven't been to the father of literature for eons and my last argument on that thread was against cameroonpride. i rarely paid minds to Yorubas on that thread self.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:22am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Oh no! I've been talking to eggheaders all this while. Smallie first of all the rapper is known as Common not "commons". I will school you on hip hop later not now

You are a mixed bag of puppy like enthusiasm, sheepish followership and lack of polish. If you were not talking about NL then why did u bring up Soyinka's words in the context of a NL thread on father of literature I ask you again, did you see ME in "Father of African Literature" thread? Abi u pick skunk for ground this morning on the way your farm?

If you want know people who are victims of indoctrination via the internet, you should start with a look in the mirror. Soyinka is talking about ppl like u and if you think otherwise because he's your tribesman then I'm genuinely sorry for you. Like the weasel you are you must be happy you can spin Soyinka's words.

If you think he's pointing fingers at an entire ethnic group then grow a pair and stand on it. Hiding behind crap rap lyrics can't save you.

you wanna school me in hip hop ?? bro you are a joke, have been doing the game long ago before you learn how to tie your shoelaces. hey dung filled brain laughing at your indoctrination by internet shyte, I have been fraternizing with peeps down the east of the river Niger in their enclave since 2008. and I have formed my opinion about you guys through careful studies and analysing different funny and ugly scenarios. then if you feel the preacher sermon was directed at you then it is high time you and your peeps turn a new leaf. for your shyte insult spewing you know you warring with the wrong guy cause when i activate my insult mode your brain operating on first generation CPU o.s won't last microsecond before you will be pushed back to the looney home where you likes belong.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:22am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Oh no! I've been talking to eggheaders all this while. Smallie first of all the rapper is known as Common not "commons". I will school you on hip hop later not now

You are a mixed bag of puppy like enthusiasm, sheepish followership and lack of polish. If you were not talking about NL then why did u bring up Soyinka's words in the context of a NL thread on father of literature I ask you again, did you see ME in "Father of African Literature" thread? Abi u pick skunk for ground this morning on the way your farm?

If you want know people who are victims of indoctrination via the internet, you should start with a look in the mirror. Soyinka is talking about ppl like u and if you think otherwise because he's your tribesman then I'm genuinely sorry for you. Like the weasel you are you must be happy you can spin Soyinka's words.

If you think he's pointing fingers at an entire ethnic group then grow a pair and stand on it. Hiding behind crap rap lyrics can't save you.

you wanna school me in hip hop ?? bro you are a joke, have been doing the game long ago before you learn how to tie your shoelaces. hey dung filled brain laughing at your indoctrination by internet shyte, I have been fraternizing with peeps down the east of the river Niger in their enclave since 2008. and I have formed my opinion about you guys through careful studies and analysing different funny and ugly scenarios. then if you feel the preacher sermon was directed at you then it is high time you and your peeps turn a new leaf. for your shyte insult spewing you know you warring with the wrong guy cause when i activate my insult mode your brain operating on first generation CPU o.s won't last microsecond before you will be pushed back to the looney home where you likes belong.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:25am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 20, 2013
One_Naira:

slowpoke that cannot read trying to teach. see oxymoron. let me say it as slowly since your ignorant can't comprehend what i said. WS accused CA of hating on his noble prize award. a statement that cannot be verified other than WS saying. now once more WS accused CA of another hate filled statement;he, CA, denyed him, WS, access to visit him, CA after the accident because he, CA, saw him, WS, as an enemy that caused him, CA, his accident. once more another wild accusation that nothing can verify. only a hate filled pretender would come out and accuse an innocent man of things that cannot be verified. If your @ss can't read between the lines, i sure can. Go thank your literature teacher for wasting your time.
Them mark register for CA burial? WS never said CA was jealous of his winning the Nobel Laurete; rather it was CA that said WS shouldn't see himself as the "Asiwaju" of African literature, and WS replied that he had no intention of being the "Ogbuefi" of African literature. Why on earth should any reasonable person, a professor for that matter, say WS' gift of ram to CA caused his accident?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:27am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 20, 2013
One_Naira:

Them mark register for CA burial? WS never said CA was jealous of his winning the Nobel Laurete; rather it was CA that said WS shouldn't see himself as the "Asiwaju" of African literature, and WS replied that he had no intention of being the "Ogbuefi" of African literature.
Why on earth should any reasonable person, a professor for that matter, say WS' gift of ram to CA caused his accident?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 9:30am On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Them mark register for CA burial? WS never said CA was jealous of his winning the Nobel Laurete; rather it was CA that said WS shouldn't see himself as the "Asiwaju" of African literature, and WS replied that he had no intention of being the "Ogbuefi" of African literature. Why on earth should any reasonable person, a professor for that matter, say WS' gift of ram to CA caused his accident?

obvious this man cannot read. reread the post you quoted as many times as you can until it hits you. the reply to this your requote is already in it. I'm not going to rewrite it again. next!!!
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Gbawe: 9:31am On Jun 20, 2013
I think it needs to be stated that Woles Soyinka is not targeting Igbos, or any ethnic group for that matter, with his utterance. Wole Soyinka's message should be very clear to those who can read what is written and assimilate it dispassionately without sectional or ethnocentric preponderance.

Especially discernible is Soyinka's frustration and disappointment that even the highest level of education attainable has not cured some people of unobjective, unneeded and ugly prejudice.

Overall, Soyinka is getting across the precise message that it is difficult, whatever a man does, to please those who are determined to be prejudiced, clannish , unwilling to be charitable towards others and obsessed with the notion of maintaining senseless enmity and rancour against them.

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 9:35am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

Must you post 10 times smallie. Walahi you can't rap and you don't know diddly about hip hop. Don't make me take u to the music section and murder you this morning.

Whatever you saw when you took a canoe down river niger in 1908 is your bowl of porridge. You are a bigot. I schooled in a federal govt college in the east and there many yoruba boys there who can risk my life for and vice versa till today. You must have been rolling with low-lives when u were in the east.

Now you spend MB's and hours generally insulting people of an ethnicity and you really think you are well in the mind?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

This is really eggheader, anytime you deflate him he starts stammering and stuttering like (multiple posting) like a sissy grin cheesy. Never knew the blue-robe wearing ile-kewu student was also taught rap by his Islamic Alfa teacher grin.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 20, 2013
I personally would not have made the following distinction between self-righteous clerics - who exist on all sides on the divide - and their horde of followers on the internet.

These self-righteous clerics are dangerous beings, especially where they flaunt the credentials of secular learning and gather in caucuses of presumed Humanities. From the herd, the mindless Internet fiddlers for whom the landing of a planetary probe, or a medical breakthrough is simply distraction from fraudulent internet mailing, nothing less is expected. What menaces the collective health of society is when the deserving highs of intellectual application of the former, become indistinguishable from the loutish low of the latter.

Much closer to the truth is that, there is no longer any difference between both groups - due to a long period of osmosis.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by seunmsg(m): 9:39am On Jun 20, 2013
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by seunmsg(m): 9:39am On Jun 20, 2013
One_Naira:

Pls, go back and read WS message clearly. This time around, make sure you read till the end. After that, come back and modify this your post.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 20, 2013
Gbawe: I think it needs to be stated that Woles Soyinka is not targeting Igbos, or any ethnic group for that matter, with his utterance. Wole Soyinka's message should be very clear to those who can read what is written and assimilate it dispassionately without sectional or ethnocentric preponderance.

Especially discernible is Soyinka's frustration and disappointment that even the highest level of education attainable has not cured some people of unobjective, unneeded and ugly prejudice.

Overall, Soyinka is getting across the precise message that it is difficult, whatever a man does, to please those who are determined to be prejudiced, clannish , unwilling to be charitable towards others and obsessed with the notion of maintaining senseless enmity and rancour against them.

Nothing more to add @Gbawe.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Burger01(m): 9:42am On Jun 20, 2013
bokohalal: No one in Nigeria spoke up more for Biafra during the Civil war than WS. Yet, the internet and opinions in newspapers by bitter minds would make you sometimes think twice about being altruistic.
I personally think tribalism is our biggest problem and not corruption.
A fo.ol wrote on the Nigeria vs. Tahiti thread:
Biafra 5 Tahiti 0.
Yeah, I saw that. The guy was/is a big dump azz fo.ool.

sad
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by joeyfire(m): 9:45am On Jun 20, 2013
dozzybaba: This is really eggheader, anytime you deflate him he starts stammering and stuttering like (multiple posting) like a sissy grin cheesy. Never knew the blue-robe wearing ile-kewu student was also taught rap by his Islamic Alfa teacher grin.

Lol! The guy dey provide us comic relief for where I dey now I tell you
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:49am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

Must you post 10 times smallie. Walahi you can't rap and you don't know diddly about hip hop. Don't make me take u to the music section and murder you this morning.

Whatever you saw when you took a canoe down river niger in 1908 is your bowl of porridge. You are a bigot. I schooled in a federal govt college in the east and there many yoruba boys there who can risk my life for and vice versa till today. You must have been rolling with low-lives when u were in the east.

Now you spend MB's and hours generally insulting people of an ethnicity and you really think you are well in the mind?

the double post thing is due to bad network. on your challenge am taking it up let meet at the music section. who cares where you school and who choose to roll with. loads of good igbos no doubt about that. but this internet warriors and their counterparts in real life needs to be cast to the w.c where they all belong.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Brimmie(m): 9:51am On Jun 20, 2013
wellmax:

My favorite paragraph, but who's WS referring too na?

[size=20]InsincereNigerian[/size]
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Burger01(m): 9:51am On Jun 20, 2013
Professor Soyinka is GOOD. Really Good.

Respect Sir.

sad
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Brimmie(m): 9:54am On Jun 20, 2013
joeyfire:

[size=20]Bravo!![/size] cheesy cheesy
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by wellmax(m): 9:54am On Jun 20, 2013
Soyinka made his point known clear and loud, without resorting to verbal direct abuse. I think we should take a cue from that. BTW, CA is gone, WS is aging, are there any replacement for these intellectuals.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 20, 2013
raphead:

the double post thing is due to bad network. on your challenge am taking it up let meet at the music section. who cares where you school and who choose to roll with. loads of good igbos no doubt about that. but this internet warriors and their counterparts in real life needs to be cast to the w.c where they all belong.
poor network...you see..that's why i asked you to relocate from that mud house village in osogbo were you've been hibernating and spewing hate talkies against people you've been indoctrinated to hate for no just cause. Travel more guy..you hear?.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by raphead: 9:58am On Jun 20, 2013
dozzybaba: This is really eggheader, anytime you deflate him he starts stammering and stuttering like (multiple posting) like a sissy grin cheesy. Never knew the blue-robe wearing ile-kewu student was also taught rap by his Islamic Alfa teacher grin.

my otapiapia seller at bere market how markete now. that handler has been punishing you like forever you still want schooling from the new guy. can't wait to give this wole soyinka kind of k.o on your Igbo .
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by amiskurie(m): 9:59am On Jun 20, 2013
yeepaaaa!
to whom it may concern.!!

wole and achebe were in good terms long before his exit.in the minds of the trying writers-hatred to share.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by yuzedo: 10:03am On Jun 20, 2013
I bow at this man's feet. I deify you, sir.

Favourite paragraph.

I do not pander to the expectations of the sanctimonious. I can absent myself from any event, for reasons that are personal to me. I can absent myself as the result of a mundane domestic situation, as legitimately as from a visceral rejection of occupancy of the same space, at the same time, in the same cause, with certain other participants. I may absent myself for the very reason of my disdain for that breed which is certain to cavil at the very fact of my absence. Such specimens pollute the very space they claim to honour. Sputter and rage they may, but even the most illustrious of that ilk cannot control that choice, neither will they be permitted free passage to encroach upon, and abuse the private spaces of human responsiveness.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Slickest(m): 10:04am On Jun 20, 2013
lawbabs: Waoh! I can't help but trip for this man. He is too deep and advance for this society called Naija. Really!
But you were smart enough to decode d depth...understanding is a matter of choice,no one is too deep for comprehension.....

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Sciencs(m): 10:08am On Jun 20, 2013
If after readin dis piece of article, anybody stills finds it INSULTIVE rather dan seein it as "BLUNTLY REASONABLE" words wic calls for a change of mind if we r 2 live nt only as peaceful individuals bt as a nation free from hate, then such person must av bin sufferin from d same pathetic brain dysfunction charles darwin suffered wic made him concluded dat man originated from Apes!...no insult intended!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Slickest(m): 10:09am On Jun 20, 2013
wellmax: Soyinka made his point known clear and loud, without resorting to verbal direct abuse. I think we should take a cue from that. BTW, CA is gone, WS is aging, are there any replacement for these intellectuals.
I don't think so!!! D govt is suceeding in their queSt to halt the growth of intellects...no good academic layout!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Cry For Help to the ogun state government / Cross River Seaport Construction Begins In Three Months — Ayade / PDP: APC Wants To Give INEC Chairman Onneghen’s Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.