Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

What Lurks In The Dark - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Lurks In The Dark (32860 Views)

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) / The Dark Tommorow / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 8:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
Ahhh! This one pass my power ooo. How did you get to know these things?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 03, 2013
That pastor is a real demon, they know the bible from A to Z but they uses it 2 misled themselves, the holy communion is eating of the flesh and drinking nd the blood of the saviour, a non-sinner, a man that has no guilt and eating it is not in the flesh, its in the spirit. So, that pastor is insane.

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
gameboy727: Ahhh! This one pass my power ooo. How did you get to know these things?

lollz
they are real...
history, the dailies, the broadcast everywhere...
the next episode is even...
well wait for it.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:25pm On Sep 03, 2013
Damex333: That pastor is a real demon, they know the bible from A to Z but they uses it 2 misled themselves, the holy communion is eating of the flesh and drinking nd the blood of the saviour, a non-sinner, a man that has no guilt and eating it is not in the flesh, its in the spirit. So, that pastor is insane.

well thts the pastors philosophy...
people also reason that way,
subsequently,
youll get to know why they believe what they believe.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:08pm On Sep 07, 2013
"THIS IS NOT JUST 'BOUT BARBARISM IT DOSENT CULMINATE TO SENCE, or don't you see it?"
I tried to say at last

"Well, maybe you have never heard that you are not meant to say someones philosophy dosent make sense..." he sighed.
"Well, I don't know why I'm spendin' so much time tellin' you stuffs, its no use..."

"Is it because I'm going to be a dead man?" I questioned soberly.

"No"

"Then what?"

"Because you are already DEAD"

"But the death you talk about is not death in the real sence"

"How do you mean?"

"When man is ignorant of the truth, yet it stares him at the face, that illusion is the true definition of death"

Silence.

"On whose side are you, who is ignorant here"

"Its obvious sir..." I said

"That I am? Are you mad?"

"Ooops! No I meant I'm ignorant of the truth and...and many other things, about me, my family, my history and future if I have any though-
I meant death is the ignorance of all these,
The vacum, the uncertainties, the fear, everything, are death in itself"
I lied

"Sounds philosophic"

"You opened the philosophy aura"
I was tryin' to keep calm so I could hear all he believes and how he got brain washed, or better stil, brain-junged.

"You are an embodient of mystery"

"So tell me my secrets, all of it"

"They are really ugly, you wouldn't like to hear them"

"The ones you told me were not beautiful in the first place?"

"Well..."

"Sir I'm all ears"

Deep down I felt that this was the last time I would see him in a lightened mood, I can't be sure of tomorrow, it would be nothin' but brutality. MY DOOM DAY.
I couldn't miss my survival, and if I must survive, that is if I get a lucky chance to, I must escape with my hands full of truth, and all my doubts quenched.

"Truth number one..."

My heart quaked.
I tried to keep still.

He paused, lettin' me burn in curiousity.

He continued.
"...you are a cannibal"
His voice was subtle.

I laughed.
"Sir I never knew you to be a joker-"

"Why would I joke with you?"
He said, sounding so serious.
The atmosphere changed at once.

"If I'm a cannibal I would know, its funny!" I spoke into his face

"You said you wanted to know secrets, now you've heard just one, and you sounding stupid"

"Maybe theres something I don't know?"

"Well, I don't blame you. For your information there are different levels and types of cannibals, the first level are called ignoramus volturis, that is to say, ignorant cannibals or vultures"

"How can one be a cannibal and would be ignorant of it, its not like cannibalism is some sorth of HIV virus that grows in the blood!"

"Well, if you say so. But for the sake of clarity ill like you to know that every member of my church, that has stayed for up to a month is an ignoramus volturis , and don't get it twisted, the last time I checked you were my church member"

"That's not clear, I don't want to say it dosent make sence"

" sure, it dosent make sence, but with mensa Domini. It makes perfect sence"

"Mensa Domini?" I echoed

"Yeah, the table of our lord"

"Holy Communion" I said point blanc.

"But?"

"Have you ever heard my prayer on the communion ingredients?"

I shook my head

"Have I ever faced you to do it?" He asked again.

I shook my head.

Suddenly-
I knew I was a dead man...
POINT BLANC!

-im sowee for the late update i went for a convention and just came back today

updates continue tomorrow.
thanks
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:38am On Sep 09, 2013
EPISODE 28

THE PASTOR HAD JUST REVEALED ANOTHER STUNNIN' MYSTERY-
Mensa Domini-THE Holy Communion.

THE SPIRIT AND THE BLOOD REDEMPTION MINISTRY

Sunday 8:30

I walked into the church holding my litle sister hand, Vera.
As we got into the large auditorium of worshippers we found something quite different from the usual service.
There was a big table on the altar, covered with white garment, like a corpse.

It was later on I understood what was happening they call such days communion service.
As we walked in, the whole auditoriun was in dead silence, in no time my sis and I got a nearby pew to seat and watch the strange communion.

Then a round man in a velvet white suit stood up and stood on the altar. Then he stretched his hands, in such a way that his hand, head and hand formed the letter 'W'.
Then he picked up the microphone and gave a deep breath, people responded with exclamations, people lost in the 'spirit'.

Then he said something that I didn't understand.
But the last words I picked were-
"...be in the spirit as we take the holy communion, be in soberity as I bless the flesh and blood of our lord"

After he had said that he turned, backing the congregation. A woman came and removed the white veil, from the far distance between the table and I I could see wine cups and substance that looked like cakes. These wine cups were big, atleast bigger than the one we normally use in my former achaic church, the bread were bigger, it was just like breakfast.

Hungry faces were everywhere the church was told to fast from noon on Saturday uptill the morning. My dad had imposed it on us, that was the first time I experienced an awkward fasting starting from noon.
I was fully aware that things in our new church were different and strange, yet I wouldn't want to play against convention and the latest fashion of doin' things.

Dad didn't tell us it was comunion service, I didn't know if he forgot or he just kept it from us. Or maybe he felt we would ask too many questions.
In our previous church we were taught that the communion should not be taken as food with people loathin' it, but we should eat in our homes before we come and eat the lords supper. They made us believe that the communion wasn't just feasting, but a sacred worship of God.

But here we were made to suffer hunger before the communion. When I got home that day I asked my dad

" Daddy why didn't you tell me that today was holy communion, and you didn't tell me to pray, do my restitutions and sanctify myself so that I wouldn't take the lords body in sin"

"Are you a sinner?"

"But-"

He grinned.
"Oh my boy, you think we are still in that former church?"

"But is the bible different?"

"Our former church read the bible from down to up"

"But the bible says we should-"

"Sh- this is how it should be done GOD is a merciful God, the diciples didn't have to purge themselves before they took the passover"

In my ignorance-
I nodded in light satisfaction.

" but why did we fast?"

"Its sacred"

"How? What is sacred?"

"That's how it should be done!" He snapped.

"Why?"

"Because that's how the church want it to be done"

"But is that scriptural?"

"If its not then add it to your bible"

"But that's not possible"

"Iisten my son, we are under the church and whatever the church says we shoud do is what we must do. The church is the body of God, any thing the church says is what the bible says too. And you must never forget this that 'whoever sins against the church sins against God!"

I mopped for a while.

"But I'm confused, things don't seem right"

"That's because you are not seeing it right"

"But dad, isn't the bible supreme?"

"Unarguably supreme, but the church is the interpreter of the bible"

"Why do churches interprete the bible differently, what then is the right church, asin the right interpreter of the law, or do churches just interprete however they like?"

"God has different interpreters"

"But the interpreters must have something in common"

"Some are sentimentalist"

"How do we know the right ones"

"By Gods guidance"

"How do we know when God is leading"

"You would know through many ways"

"Did God lead you to our achaic church and then lead us out again, does he behave that way"

"God said he knows the thought he thinks of us, meaning the place we are is not where he wants for us, that was why he moved us here.
where we were was a place of his will, but not the perfect place, but here is where GOD wants us to be, atleast for now"

"Really? I'm finding it hard to adapt fast"

"In the presence of God is liberty, you are full of internal bondage, internal consciousness. You must know that God set us free from that church, you must save your self to from the bondage"

"Really"

"I know its todays communion that's triggering all this questions?"

"Not really"

" You are only making a mountain out of a mole hill, come launch is ready, let's go and eat, don't have time to discuss trifles, nomore!"

That was the end of our conversation that day. After then I decided to embrace convention. But not totally.

AS THE communion service commenced there was a rising sound of groanings, people trying to reach God. While some others like me just mopped.

The pastor(pastor Salami) faced the communion for about five minutes, I didnt know what he was doing and he didn't let anybody hear what he was saying. After that, he walked round the tables three times, then came back to his position but dropped down on his knees. As he dropped, people went emotional, the woman beside me was just shaking her head with passion.
She said.
"Oh, such a humble man, such a holy man, oh such an angel sent from God, oh God please keep him for us"

After some seconds of kneeling he stood up, beakoning to other ministers to help him serve the communion.
He picked the microphone saying...

"And Jesus after he had brake the bread, he gave it to his diciples saying, take, eat, this is my body which was broken for you this do ye in remembrance of me.
After he had blessed the cup he said take drink this my blood which was shed for the remission of sins. This do ye in remebrance of me..."

In a short while the bread and wine got to me.
The bread was big, but my hunger was bigger.
The pastor didn't say we should confess any sin, rather he said-

"If you have sin in you don't worry the blood in the cup will purify you, fear not the body of Christ, it brings only life, it dosent bring death, take eat, drink, be merry!"

That was all the consolation I needed.
Our former church always emphasise that if we dare eat the flesh and drink the blood unworthily we would die or fall sick, so often we would purge ourselves, do our restitutions and pray fervently before we take the communion. Sometimes we wouldn't take it at all for fear.
But here was much more easier.

I paused to ask myself which was right,
But the hunger burning within me was so mighty, I could not bother myself too much in the expence of my life!

People arround me began to eat, and as they ate, the pastor wife came on stage to lead the worship.
It was balm, and I fell for her voice like always.
;-)

I looked at vera, surpricingly she had almost finished consuming her bread, and gulping her wine. I shot her a grin. She grinned back. Her beautiful contagious smile kept me back in bliss. She is so tender and young, her eyes shone under her her long eyelids like a shooting star, the atmosphere turns into meekness when she's metres away. she leaves a smile on every face. I loved her so much. She was just- eight-

I grabbed my bread and ate hungrilly, the wine was grape flavor, but the grape tasted different, but, it wasn't so obvious. Somehow I felt nuasea, but I guess the hunger within wouldn't let out its captive.

The service went on normally after that.
That was my first communion in-
THE SPIRIT AND THE BLOOD REDEMPTION MINISTRY

"Why don't you face the congregation and say loud prayers" I asked

"Well its spiritual"

"Demonic you mean?"

"If you say so"

"Who do you work for? JESUS OR SATAN"

"Both"

"A kingdom can't be didvided"

"They work together"

"Never they don't"

"You would never understand, in death all things become clear"

"In death I will understand? Understand what? Blasphemies?"

"Your death is not far, so don't panic"

"Sir I know I would die, please don't mention it"

"I see" he said looking at his watch

"But what is the juice made of?"

"Grape of course"

"I love grape juice but the one served in communion tastes different"

He grinned.
"It has a touch of human blood in it"

"HUMAN WHAT?"

"That is the ignoramus volturis initiation-"

"So the communion we take in church is an initiation"

"Yes and you have being initiated"

"No! Never! It can't be!"
I screamed, shaking my head vigorously.

"Oh the hunger caused by fasting...Imabong, grasshopper, oh how similar" I said uncontrollably.

"Now you understand, that your life is in the hands of the church because you are in something deeper, than you can ever think"

" how? The church is killing me or what?
How can man not know himself?
How can it be that the world tells you who you are?
How can it be that everything you think you know about your self is just the tip of an iceberg?
Whoever said life is a mystery is my true brother!"
I questioned within' me

"SECRET TWO..." the pastor began.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:18am On Sep 10, 2013
wheres everybody? :-(
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 5:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
jayloyexten: wheres everybody? :-(
we are here bro. Please update more. So loving your story.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
gameboy727: we are here bro. Please update more. So loving your story.

yeah i know
but really the coments kip me rollin'

pls u guys should always say something-
its important
ur critic, appreciation, etc.

thanks all.

Gameboy let kip rollin
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
We are here o, just that i love reading 4rm ur blog since i already subscribed
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
Damex333: We are here o, just that i love reading 4rm ur blog since i already subscribed

no i understand that,
thats exclusive-

im kinda refearin' to those who keep silence-
and i hope they change!
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 10:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
The last update was kinda short. But no problems since I enjoyed it.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2013
i have always tried to comment but keep on seeing "unexpected error" very interesting story. keep it going
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:10am On Sep 11, 2013
scon-p:
i have always tried to comment but keep on seeing "unexpected error" very interesting story. keep it going

"unexpected error?"
wow, 've never encountered that before.
well
today was unexpected breathrough- cul
:_)
tnks tho, kip it. ill enjoy ur comments always.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:12am On Sep 11, 2013
gameboy727: The last update was kinda short. But no problems since I enjoyed it.

it was kinda, ,meanin it wasnt (winks)

no wahala ill give u a longer update
but dont complain thats too long o...
lollz
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 7:18am On Sep 11, 2013
jayloyexten:

it was kinda, ,meanin it wasnt (winks)

no wahala ill give u a longer update
but dont complain thats too long o...
lollz
LMAO. . . Oliver Twist tins. Too much is never enough.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by purpinkx(m): 12:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
I don't know about you oh ! But i'm getting bored
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2013
gameboy727: LMAO. . . Oliver Twist tins. Too much is never enough.
Gameboy so here you are!
You haven't been seen in the thread HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS FOR A WHILE...
Karev is now taking d lead in d q&a goin on dia wt 19pts, MLegend 12pts You 3pts. Go in CIA now to Answer this question
Question 11
Who killed Envy?
follow this story: HOPE AND THE
ISLAND OF GREATNESS...answer
questions based on d story nd win lil lil
prizes : www.nairaland.com/1224953/
hope-island-greatness-fiction-allegory
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 9:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
Gameboy so here you are!
You haven't been seen in the thread HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS FOR A WHILE...
Karev is now taking d lead in d q&a goin on dia wt 19pts, MLegend 12pts You 3pts. Go in CIA now to Answer this question
Question 11
Who killed Envy?
follow this story: HOPE AND THE
ISLAND OF GREATNESS...answer
questions based on d story nd win lil lil
prizes : www.nairaland.com/1224953/
hope-island-greatness-fiction-allegory
Bro I've been busy. Forgive me.

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:04am On Sep 12, 2013
EPISODE 29

"WHO EVER SAID THAT LIFE IS A BUNCH OF MYSTERY IS MY TRUE BROTHER" I mumbled beneath my breath.

ignoramus volturis?  Just like that? I wondered what the implication might be.

All this while I had been drinking diluted blood of some murdered humans, somewhere on the globe.  Is this the fortune that lies in conventional churches?  I wanted a church, where I could rock and roll, live my life,  determine my religion and rituals by my discretion. I wanted a church of sanguis, a church riverbrating in life.  That was all I wanted, not some extra cargo of fermented misfortunes, or malafide bonus of depravity!

But was it me?
is it my fortune?
Isn't it dads?
He played to his emotions that night of frustration, but at the same time, deep down in our hearts, we all wanted an exit from our achaic church. We craved for our own lives, our own way.

I never wanted to be a monk, neither did my sister fancy the idea of being a beautiful nun. My dad never wanted to be anointed a bishop, and the last thing on my moms mind would have being the royal back seat and expensive panephilia, common with the bishop wives.
So then why the deep livestyle and seriousness with religion?
A little of every thing was perfect. So we thought. So we reasoned. So it was, our philosophy.

As I sat with pastor Salami that night, the thought of my father leaving our achaic church for a decayed and rottened one, overwhelmed me again.
That night he had stormed in frustrated, we never got to know what happened in the church, our achaic church as it was then.

I was not so much of a stick-noser like I would love to be now. But really, my parents kept lots of secrets from us, they weren't open to us, but somehow I had lived with the inkling of a big secret in my family, big enough to shake the foundations.
I felt the cleaverage between us on certain occasions.

They threw me in the boarding house from Jss 3.
NOT until I sat infront of pastor Salami and looked dirrectly into his eyeballs, I wouldn't have smelt a rat in that gesture.

There was silence between pastor Salami and I, but it wasn't silence for mind and foggy head.

The big question now is
WHAT IS MY SECRET?
My secret lies in a promise land up a hill, but here's the first step.
WHY DID MY FATHER LEAVE THE CHURCH?
And decided so fast for another. If it was just frustration he would have had a rethink later, or at least it would have taken him some time to choose a new church, not just immediately ike e did.
Isn't there a rat in the cupboard?
My answers were locked up somewhere cozy-
That Night...
Reminiscence...

9:30pm

It was a cold night in our duplex. We sat on a round table and the coals of dads anger and frustration warmed us...like the village scene of a bonfire.

After he had made his stance clear with all his known vulgar words..."we are leaving that first generation church...", the meeting was closed.

I was 15 then and Vera was just 8, she had began to sleep in her room, on her velvety bed, no one was scared of her messing the bed, she was awesome, she had stopped messing the night with her urine quite early, unlike me, it took me a decade. (Grin)

There was no night prayer that gentle night of hurricane. Mom escorted Vera to her room upstairs, but I lead the way, dangling on the steps like a tree in the storm, singing an unrhythmed song, a soliloquy on my vantage point in the turn of events.

I staggered into my room and collapsed on my 6feet bed. I thought I was going to fall asleep at once after the stressful day. But to my greatest surprice my eyes were ajar and it was like a heavy load was placed on my eyelids pulling them upward, I hardly could blink, my eyes were wide opened.

Just the way fate had designed it that night, I began to feel cramps in my stomach, there was no dinner. The heat from dads anger with the church had killed my hunger detector, but that was for the time being.

I endured the hunger for about 25 minutes, feeling reluctant to stand up. Soft rock music embellished from the background, but it was reggae-wild in my stomach.

Finally, I decided to get something to eat in the kitchen down stairs, so I sneaked quitely from my room. But as I stepped out of my room into the dark passage, I began to hear chatterings and laughter from the next door, it was my parents.

I wanted to walk away, when a big question blocked my way;

'Why the laughter, why the excitement?'

There was supposed to be a serene atmosphere in the room, especially after dad had come in wearing a bad mood.
I tried to eavesdrop, here's what I got inbetween wide laughter.

Mom- oh my God you are such an ACTOR.
Dad- that's what attracted you to me.
.....( chuckles )
Mom- it was a big DECISION, but a STEP we must take now.
Dad-sure.
Mom- oh my God I love you.
Dad-come here let's make tonight solid.
Mom-hot you mean...
Dad-no tasty!
Silencing kiss....Low tunes...Groanings...creeks...gasps
I knew I had to leave
I wanted to but my legs did not move, I was enjoing the music of their voices, just then my mom mumbled something I didn't really hear...but at the end of her words, sugared by the event I heard my name-

It made my heart quake atonce.
I turned arround searching akwardly for them , as if they had strangely appeared in the passage behind me.

Within the space of seconds I heard my name from dad,
And it feared me.
I stood in awe. I couldn't move, I was wondering what was going on, but then things hadn't  twisted so suspiciously, so I didn't think deep, afterall I'm their child and they could call my name any time, even in such moments.

Then suddenly I didn't hear any voice again.so I  went heading for the kitchen downstairs.
As I took four gentle steps away from my parents room I heard a door creak.
I froze. I didn't move.
Next-
I heard a female voice behind me-
"David"
I froze I couldn't turn back. I knew the gravity of eavesdropping such events.

"David" the voice came softly again, approaching me.
Then I knew it wasn't my fears.
I turned and found my beautiful sister starring at me, her eyes and white teeth exposed in her perfect grin illuminated the whole passagge like the sun.

"Come on let's go get something to eat" I said as we headed for the kitchen.

That night didn't mean so much till tonight.
How could three unrelated events happen together.

First was an angry dad with the church.
Second-was a cheerful scene after a bad day.
In that strange lightened mood my mom called my dad an actor.
What was he acting?  what did he act?
Does it mean the whole night was just acting?
why would he choose to feign annoyance?
he would have just told us categorically that he wants us to leave the church on the following grounds...
But does that mean anything?
What was he hiding by pretending?

Why were they celebrating the decision they made?
Was it just the decision of leaving the church or Was it more than leaving?
If it was just leaving, what was so facinating about it?
If it was more than leaving then what could it be?

That day obviously was a great day in their lives, but why? In the midst of their ecstacy my name had flew out from their mouth. Just my name, I didn't hear Vera's.

Why was my name mentioned?
It is deducable that what ever thrilled them that night was related to me, either presently or in the future. But why is it exciting. What is exciting about me in a scence of the choice of worship. Or how is my name related to our new church?
The questioned bothered me soo much.

Now I am in this cannibal empire, and what's most thrilling is the figure of my dad in the turn of events, I had found his number on pastor Salami's phone.
Does it relate to my father, was he aware of the church.
Questions questions questions, no single answer.

Suuddely from my far thought came a close voice, it was pastor Salami. He said something that I didn't hear.

"sir tell me the implication of being an ignoramus volturis"

"Really its been a long time I talked about things like this"

"Why?"

"Events just happen, so fast, we just kill people, eat some, either we boil, fry or take as pepper soup, spice up with garlic and wine, attimes alcohol, or buisness wise we supply politicians, usually we do the kidnapping for them. We don't interact with our cargos, we kill them right on the field, then store them upstairs. So you can see there's no time to talk, I'm a pastor I'm busy, that's the role of capon, he does most of the dealings, he is the face outside not me. We hardly reflect on our lives we just act. We don't discuss our past, that's why grasshopper story struck so hard on us. He didn't finish so you don't understand. Were it not for the recent spirritual complications that warrant a sacrificial lamb, which is you, no normal human live among us. So somehow you are giving me the opportunity to reflect about my life, you are affecting me, I don't want to like you because you are a corpse already, you are dead-"
He dug his head in soberity.

I was wondering if I had affected him so emotionally.
I felt his fears and pain. I felt the thorns in holding unscrutinised philosophies, one must learn to scrutinise his philosophies time and again, so we don't hold philosophies that deep down we don't believe in. The heart is so deceptive, we can't be sure of its capacity, believe or will, except by critical thinkin', often times by critical providence.

I tried to brush out the fear of death for the want of fact. Probably I was God sent to save them either by death or by life, either ways I am their savior.

"You don't have to like me..."

"Sure there is no love for the dead other than pity"

"How much do you sell the humans to the politicians?" I tried to ignore...

"Virgins are the most wanted in the market"
He started.
"A virgin like the head I have in my bag.."
He tried to reach for his bag. I had an emotional strike immediately. He was refearing to Sandra my love in the bus. My anger and pity began to rise again. I felt deep pain and anguish. So Sandra was a virgin. I remembered how we tried to kiss and how grasshopper restrained us. Her head lied dead in that bag, I began to sob internally.

A part of me wanted to see her face again, even if dead, just for the last time, and give her the kiss we never had.
But somewhere deep inside me, I knew I couldn't bear the scene, it would make me want to strangle pastor Salami, do something stupid, yet to me he was just a victim of useless philosophies.

"Sir-em" I tried to say, using my hands to disuade him from bringing the bag close.
He concurred.

"Well, if you-" he tried to say.

"Yes I don't"

"All right. A virgin may cost one million, an adult virgin five million. We charge for kidnapping and shipping aswell. That's where we get our funding"

"If it were to be me, if I was your cargo, how much would I cost"

He sighed, a bit irritated.
"You only have a penis and flesh, consignments like you don't make the market, they would only make me poor. You are cheap good, I don't sell cheap goods! We eat your type, fry your type roast and use for pepper stew with some exotic wine.Atmost we could use your penis to boost our libido- that's all, that's your market value!"

I fainted with eyes opened.

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:54pm On Sep 12, 2013
purpinkx: I don't know about you oh ! But i'm getting bored

purpinkx where u run go hide na?

its being long i heard from you
anyhow dont run again o-

kagane ko?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 12:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
upadates comes latest on monday

Thanks for following
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
EPISODE 30

I FAINTED WITH EYES WIDE OPENED.

A fearful silence sustained between us.
I had to acknowledge my worthlessness. I found no worth in this world.

My parents to the best of my knowledge had led me into this, although the whole truth is unknown, I knew by reasoning that they were integral part of my mess.
‘Who am I?’ I asked my self again.
‘What sin did I commit by coming into this world?’

Time could not allow me think any further.
Suddenly from one end of the room, I heard a door creak.
My eyes brightened immediately. Grasshopper appeared from the door. This time he was looking more ruthless then ever.
His presence brought back his story to my mind.
However, I did not feel pity for him.

He held a black nylon bag in his left hand. He was still on his black overalls.

As he approached us, I felt fear from the corner of my mind. Amazingly, his first statement confirmed my fears.
He said-
‘Pastor everything is ready for the sacrifice’ he paused then continued.
‘What about the boy?’

My heart jerked
I was expecting a reply but nobody said anything, there was dead silence.

I began to question my myopic view, ‘why didn’t I see all this coming? How come I couldn’t add it up that today was the day of sacrifice?’
My body felt cold like death

Wasn’t it so foolish for me to believe mere precedents in African ritual?
I was filled my previous knowledge that the day of ritual was Friday; I did not know that I could be wrong and it did not even cross my mind at any time.

My eyes became cloudy at once; I was struggling to keep the tears from welling down my face.
I imagined my self been slaughtered, my private parts eaten, and the rest of my body offered to a god.

So foolish of me I thought that all I was having with pastor Salami was a conversation I never could imagine that it was a just way of keeping me for…
But keeping me for what? I questioned my thought abruptly. Wouldn’t they have preferred me asleep…was there sense in my thinking?

I raised my head and looked at pastor Salami. He caught my gaze, looked into my eyes, a broad smile covered his face, then he said in the most gentle manner I had ever heard him speak-
‘Thanks for all your preparations I’m having a nice time with David’
As he called my name, I felt something I could not explain

‘But why are you spending all the night with a boy that would lay on our altar by tomorrow?’

The statement was capable of ministering a big bunch of fear into my heart, but it did otherwise.
I felt a bit comfortable, at least my death was not tonight but tomorrow, my reasoning was right, Friday is the day of sacrifice. The fact that I wasn’t going to end my journey on earth that night, was a bit consoling.

‘I don’t know why, and really I can’t explain it, but this boy’s presence is beginning to have a therapeutic effect on me’

‘But that should not be, he is just a sheep to be slaughtered, he is worthless!’

‘Of course he is, but he is to be slaughtered for us all’ the pastor said

‘Then sir why do you waste your time telling him stories’

‘Im not wasting my time GRASSHOPPER!’ the pastor blared

‘With due respect sir, you are breaking rule number eleven of this great Volturis Empire, its very important we do not break it sir’

‘And what does rule number eleven read’

‘Sir, you know it-‘

‘Grasshopper don’t get me upset, I said what does the eleventh rule state?’

‘I’m sorry sir-‘

‘You better be’

‘it states that any member of the volturis family must not be in any form of useless or vain conversation with any of itsr victims, such individual caught would be brought before the house for questioning and punishment…’

‘So foolish of you, that you had the guts to read that to me…’

‘Sir I know that you are above us and you founded this empire on strong foundations below the ground, but sir I’m only saying that your conversation with this boy would only put this family at risk, and you’ve always loved me for one spirit, and it is this spirit that ensures what is right is rightly done’

‘You must be very careful grasshopper…’

‘I know but-‘

‘I’m still talking’

‘I’m sorry’

‘First of all I am the boss here, and I don’t deserve any form of disrespect of any kind from you. The rule you are seriously fighting for is fighting back at you, but a false sence of the right had blinded your eyes.
The rule forbids useless and vain conversation with victims , for your information, and I mean absolutely wrong to accuse me as the founder of this empire, of making useless conversation, you are indirectly saying I lack discretion and logical thinking.’

‘Sir-‘ Grasshopper tried to say

‘Would you let me talk you son of a bitch?’

‘My apologies sir’

‘If you dare interrupt me again, I pity you. Now maybe you don’t know, this boy that I have been talking to is not a victim, but a savior whose blood may be shed for us, ‘may’ because I may have to change my mind’

‘But that is not possible sir’ grasshopper interjected

‘Who are you to tell me that’

‘No sir I am nobody to say that-‘

‘Wow you must be drunk again’

‘No sir’

‘And may I tell you that you have broken rule number one, so foolish of you. You know rule number eleven without knowing rule number one’

Suddenly, I saw that grasshoppers expression suddenly changed.
He probably knew the consequence of of his offence.
Then things began to happen fast.
Suddenly Pastor Salami deepened his hand into his pocket, before I could Jack Robinson, Grasshopper had raised his overalls and brought out a small pistol and pointed it at pastor Salami.
The foundations of my heart shook.
What is happening? I could not decipher

I had seen all kinds of guns in films but I had never seen any one before in a real life scene.

‘I’ve had enough of you, but before you finally kill me, I would kill you first!’ Grasshopper said with uncontrolled anger.

So this people had guns all this while? I was shocked.

Then pastor Salami put on the defense cap;
‘You know you wouldn’t, infact you cannot dare!’

‘Not after all I have suffered because of you, I wouldn’t have to think twice on killing you!’

‘You think I wanted to bring out a gun? You think I would have killed you. After all you have done for me. Oh Grasshopper how could you think that way?’

‘Keep that for the young minds! You think I am a fool? you wasted Dominic my friend, the other time it was Frank. Tell me why I should believe you, you are full of lies,Wretched man, that’s what you are!.’ He said pointing the gun with deep emotions.
I feared that one bullet would fly out of the gun and blow out my brains.

‘That’s not true, they sinned and I had to kill them’ the pastor tried justification.

‘You just sinned to, don’t forget, and you deserve to die like they did’

‘But you sinned first’ the pastor proposed

‘Yes I did, but it was justifiable. You wanted to kill me, but I am going to kill you first! Devil incarnate!’

‘So you had all this in you all this while? It’s a big pity. But know one thing; when you kill me, that is if you ever succeed in doing that, the whole world would hunt you down’

‘That’s fine, but I would kill you first’

‘Then go ahead, if you are not a coward!’

Suddenly Grasshopper cocked his gun, and his hand wrapped the trigger…
Then I did not know what came over me, I jumped up, eclipsing the pastor, I did’t know when the words flew out of my mouth’ they were not pre-meditated.
I said
‘Before you kill him, kill me first!’

There was silence, I knew pastor Salami was shocked at my gesture but sincerely I did not know why I acted that way. I hated him, but I never wanted him to die. My feeling was funny, or may I say it betrayed me.

Then, what Sandra once told me in the bus came back to my mind,
She had said,
The heart is utterly deceptive, we do not know what it wants

Grasshopper gave a strange grin. But somehow I saw pity on his face.
He said;
‘Oh, blinded by truth, your miseries are so complicated that you cant see that I am on your side, this is for you, so get out of my way let me help you’

‘From the bus I knew that you were my worse enemy on earth’

‘That’s what I made you believe’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I am on your side, get out of the way let me finish this demon!’

‘I don’t care about what you say, drop the gun!’ strange, I issued a fearless command.

‘I wish you understand’

‘Drop the gun!’

‘OR?’

Then I didn’t know how it happened I heard a gun shot, so loud, that it almost pulled out my eardrums.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
I WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS.

THANK YOU.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
So you saved a demon, and that grasshoppers said he is on ur side? How?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2013
Damex333: So you saved a demon, and that grasshoppers said he is on ur side? How?
Am just wondering too. If I were there I would have slapped him to reboot his senses.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
gameboy727: Am just wondering too. If I were there I would have slapped him to reboot his senses.

lollz...
sometimes we could go emotional when placed on pressure, the heart is deceptive, its at odd times we trully know what the heart wants-not necessarily what we want

that was the scene.
well may i say u dont know any thing about grasshopper yet.
kip ff
thanks
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
gameboy727: Am just wondering too. If I were there I would have slapped him to reboot his senses.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 3:39pm On Sep 17, 2013
Damex333: So you saved a demon, and that grasshoppers said he is on ur side? How?

thats the suspence....
you would get to know soon.
(winks)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by gameboy727(m): 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
We are dying to know then.

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 10:08am On Sep 18, 2013
gameboy727: We are dying to know then.

updates come today

watch out.
thanks to all my followers even the silent ones...
i percieve ur perfume when i get into the room...
dont ask what it means.

kipkip
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:47am On Sep 19, 2013
EPISODE 31

SUDDENLY, I did not know what happened, or how it happened, I just found my self-lying helplessly on the floor.

I was too terrified to stand up; I felt a cold but sharp voice-speaking deep within, it scared me to my teeth-it said;
‘If you dare standup, you would never be able to get into your body again. You are dead, what is left of you is a roaming specter. The chord that joins your body and spirit have been broken, you are dead, cadaver!’

Then the word started banging inside my head
‘Cadaver! Cadaver! Cadaver!...’ endlessly.

I was already seeing my spirit in white flowing gown rising up, out from my body.
‘So this is death?’ I feared

I had heard of numerous people who slept and woke up as usual, but this time when they got up, they found their body lying lifeless on the bed. They could not get into their body again. I feared I had become one of them.

Suddenly, a fast transition occurred, I began to feel a funny sensation running through my veins. I had laid belly-down.
I began to feel my lungs pushing me up and down. I felt my heart beating softly and peacefully.

Just then, an instinct rushed into my brain; if I was dead, something must have killed me.
‘Where was I hit?’ I asked my self. I still feel my lungs, my heart, and my veins. Goodness! I am alive.

As I came to the sudden realization that I was not dead, my eyes fell opened. All I saw at first was a stretch of red substance, stretched all through beneath me. Not until I took a closer observation and discovered it was the rug, I had thought I was lying in the pool of my own blood.

‘Where was I hit?’ I asked my self again.
I ran a checker through my veins and nervous system but it came back, beeping,
‘No particular pain or injury found’
I felt total body weakness but I did not feel any thing like a bullet wound.
Or is this how a bullet feels, I’ve never felt one before.
However, one thing became sure; I was alive!

I tilted my head to see what was closest to me, when I saw something terribly pathetic and scary. Fresh blood flowed towards me, it was thick and although I did not touch it, I could sense it was warm. I could not say a word, my heart burned with emotions.

As I gazed I saw a dying hand stretching towards me, beckoning to me, trying to reach me. I heard the person trying to whisper something with his last breadth, whatever it was, it seemed very important.

I did not know when I crawled towards him with pity and concern. It was Grasshopper. I was very shocked. How did he die, who shot him, he was the one pointing the gun at pastor Salami before my little frenzy came up. He was in advantage. What happened? How did it happen? Did the gun backfire? He would have shot pastor Salami if had not intervened; does that mean I was the cause of his death?

I knew that deep down I was trying to save pastor Salami because I knew he is the boss of the empire, the man with the final say. Probably by saving his life, he could get me out of this prison alive. However, that seemed to be the most foolish thing I ever did in my life’

I watched grasshopper struggling with death; he was fast giving way. He was shot in different places, including his heart. He soaked in his own blood. His hands were drenched in blood as he tried to cover the fountain of blood streaming profusely from his chest; I almost felt his pains.

Somehow, the last word he said played on my emotions. Then I was mad, I could not think; but how could he be on my side? Did he say that just to get me off the way?
He could have pushed me away then, but he stood sober, trying to explain things to me.

I watched him closely. He tried to form words, but it was difficult for him.
I pitied him.
He was struggling with his last breadth to say something
He tried to say-
‘Da…vid, f-f-find yo-your father, Amanda and the s-s-s-‘

He could not complete the last word.
I was terribly shocked. I did not support him or call his name, I just watched him as he gave up the ghost. What does grasshopper know about my family and me? He mentioned Amanda, and tried to say a‘s’ word. Did he refear to the man that called himself savior, the legless shoe?

Suddenly a wave of hope filled my soul. I felt I was not alone; I have people who are on my side; but how did they know about me? Grasshopper was the last person I would ever believe was on my side. It was dawning inside of me that I have people who are planning to get me out from here. As I watched grasshopper’s dead body, it reminded me of my adoption and the whole bus scenario.

‘In water you get your answer…’

After I screamed and brought everyone back from the dream world, I felt all the guardians were angry that I had thwarted their plan.

‘That’s brave but this is not the time to fight it, wait till it’s done’ Grasshopper said

‘Fight what?’ I had asked.

‘You are still a boy, you don’t understand anything’

‘What do you mean? Is it because you are bigger than I am? Look, being a man is not in the external form but it plunges deeper within to the internal form’

‘Internal form?’ he chuckled.
‘Wait till tomorrow, before you talk about being a man’
When I heard that, I thought he refeared to tomorrow, as-in my future. I never knew he was referring to the day just before me’

‘You think you know anything?’ he asked

I looked at him with bitterness, this man was embarrassing me before my girl, and I would not take it!
Then I decided to use the common Socratic quote, I had used it when the governors wife presented to me my plague as the best essayist in Kaduna.

‘I am the wisest man on earth because I know one thing, that thing I know, is that I know nothing, at least that makes me better than you’

‘Well spoken, you don’t know anything. O man know thy self!’

‘Bleep you man!’ I said with frustration.

‘One day you would need me, and beg for my help, well, till then’

‘God forbid that I meet you for anything, even if I need you, I would forgo you for someone better. Who do you think you are?’

‘Nothing but a grasshopper’ he said.

‘Better’ I replied.
I felt Sandra giggling.

Now I could understand that the words grasshopper said then were not just vain words, but he was truly on my side. But how is that possible? If he wanted to save me why didn’t he do it in the bus?
I could not believe him easily, but why should I doubt?

We did not say anything until about five minutes when the strange thing happened.
The driver pulled to a halt. Everybody started grumbling and asking questions. It was then the driver announced.

‘A friend just called me he is a driver, one kilometer ahead of us. He said he is in a pathetic scene of cruel armed robbers. Girls are been raped, men beaten, people are been killed, infarct he just called me from the bush where he was hiding…’
People didn’t even allow him to complete his sentence.

A woman in front screamed
‘Blood of Jesus!’

A young man in front of me started blabbing in tongues.

A young lady in the front roll switched to complete Igbo, blasting it like a fusillade.

Sandra jumped up from my lap…

BACK TO THE EMPIRE OF CANNIBALS

A gun cracked behind my skull.
I froze.
My teeth began to crush against each other.
I did not know what to do; I raised my hand up in surrender. So they want to kill me.

My right hand man was also pointing a gun at my face. He had been sleeping; grasshopper forgot that he was behind him when he was pointing a gun at pastor Salami. Definitely, he was the one who shot grasshopper. Now he is pointing the gun at me. what do they want from me?

‘But today is not the day of sacrifice’ I said in-between tears

‘Shut up!’ pastor salami blared

‘Go ahead, kill me!’ I shouted back, offended at his ungratefulness.
For Gods sake I had just saved his life, yet he is pointing a gun in my face.
‘Kill me, pull the trigger, kill me!’

There was silence for some seconds.
My right hand man was still pointing the gun at me.
I began to sweat profusely; my heart was pounding so heavy, so fast.
Then a gentle voice came from behind me.
“What did Grasshopper tell you?”

SILENCE.

My right hand man cocked his gun.
“Are you deaf? You want me to blow off your head?”

“Yes!” I said, but nobody heard me.

“David you have five seconds to answer me, five!”

“You wouldn’t like what he said and I don’t want to be rude”

“Say it anyway”

“I don’t want to break rule number one”

SILENCE

“What is rule number one?” pastor Salami asked.

“Do not disrespect pastor Salami unless you’ll die” I said with instinct

“Thank God you know. Now if I have to ask you again what grasshopper said-“
Before he could complete it I answered.

“He said he doesn’t like you”

“He doesn’t like me?”

“Actually to be sincere what he said was ‘Bleep you Salami Jacobs’”

SILENCE

-im sorry for the delay
wasnt so easy.
now let me hear from you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

New Story : Afraid To Love / Grace Ifeoma Adichie's Burial: Chimamanda's Mum Buried (Photos, Video) / Ibale{virginity}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.