Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,498 members, 7,826,873 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (686144 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nonkala: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2019
If u can make it 8m, good
No need transferring to ur wife since u re d main applicant and sponsor, there is no upload for a dependent’s statement of acc or u can stl add both stmts if she has reasonable balance like more dn 1m. My advice though

Acisky:
Good morning everyone, 1) Around how much should I have in my account for being the sponsor and that of my wife?.
2) if I transfer lump sum to my wife account won't that be an issue ?, Thanks in advance?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by musspuss: 10:55am On Jan 16, 2019
Thank you very much for your kind response!
mizGene:

I don't think it will be a problem.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Lolade30: 1:06pm On Jan 16, 2019
hello everyone. This thread has been extremely helpful, thank you. Please Im 21 weeks and just about to start my application, i have a few
questions
1. the online application says i need an invite letter. Is there any way around that?
2. Can canadian hospitals do installment payment plan like US does or you have to have all the cash
3.Do i need an agent or can I just do this application myself
4.Anybody with experience in Manitoba? thats where id like to go
many thanks

Hotstepper:
Hello Everyone! Happy New Year. I hope everyone is doing great.

I said I was going to clear up some things since it is becoming rampant with mums who come in to have their babies.

I know there are agents in Nigeria who are in this thread who get people from here as clients and there is nothing wrong with but but please try and paint a better picture.

Now my observation plus experience from mothers who came in nd reached out to me, thus why I decided to take out time to clear up issues. It is 8:45pm Eastern Time.

1.Make sure you can comfortably sponsor your childbirth trip.

2. Please Canada is NOT US. You can see my "NOT" is all in Capital. Please if you are not ready for Canada, stick to the US. They are 2 diff countries with 2 diff policies. While US is a Capitalist country, Canada is a Social Welfare State. Canada has free medical and US does not so Canada has a one -tier health care system. Drs here can do without international patients and be very fine.

3. Let no agent tell you that you can have a baby in Canada plus accomodation, omugwo, pick up nd drop off for 6000 CAD..7000 sef will not be enough.

4. If you are going with an agent in Nigeria who probably has not been to Canada ( most of them now add Canada to their plan cuz Canada is now hot for childbirth),make sure u know exactly what their services cover. Alot of things I did in 2018, I will not repeat it in 2019. If ur agent in Nigeria just collects ur money nd u come nd what u r told is not what u see,please manage it like that nd try and speak up so others will learn .

5. budeget atleast 1000/1500 for accomodation cuz it depends in the city u live in. Canada is very large so getting from point A to B is far. Toronto is like lagos, even if say u get a dr for 1500, ur accomodation might be the same price or more and that is if you see. I know someone who paid 80 dollars a day on Airbnb nd couldnt cope after 2 weeks then contacted me and I know how i tried to find acxomodation for her.

6. If you are aware you are preggy, please try and start yoir visa application on time. most people says they travelved at 36 weeks to the US plz dont try it for Canada unless it is really not ur fault cuz its war finding drs on a normal day then imagine at these stage of ur pregnancy.

7. If you are coming with kids,please most times do ot expect to be in 1 bedroom in somebody's house. Also have in mind thar even the no of people renting a place, determins the cost cuz landlord will factor light nd water bill and that is if you find as most people do not like taking people with little kida esp if he or sge lives in the house. Also, if you MIL, Mum or hubby will not be around,make sure u have arrangement for someobe who will look after the kids while u head to the hopsital. DO NOT DEPEND ON UR HOST U MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW. You cannot take the kids to the hospital with u because there are changes they will be taken away from u. Saying this cuz it almost happened to someone 3 or 4 months ago. I knoe someone that her hubby had to buy last min flight cuz of the condition of his family and had to lodge them in a hotel until they left canada so you can imagine

8. Do not be in a hurry to go and if you may,then u must start ur documentations on time, right away .

Enjoy ur week .
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 1:21pm On Jan 16, 2019
Nonkala:
Tks folmus
Pls for those that applied wt kids, did u get any form on custodianship.
I included my daughter as a dependent and never filled she wl be studying in Canada but got one custodian form, shd I ignore or do I ve to submit notary or what.

I haven’t filled out a Canadian TRV application in a while, but I just have this hunch feeling that you didn’t do the correct thing with the questionnaire you answered, and that is why this custodian thing is coming up. The much I understand normally is that if one of the parent won’t be on the trip, then a consent letter to travel with the child will be required of that parent. Is the child in question of Canadian school age already? Just wondering sha....
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Acisky(m): 1:53pm On Jan 16, 2019
Thanks very much for the response
Nonkala:
If u can make it 8m, good
No need transferring to ur wife since u re d main applicant and sponsor, there is no upload for a dependent’s statement of acc or u can stl add both stmts if she has reasonable balance like more dn 1m. My advice though

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by mizGene(f): 2:17pm On Jan 16, 2019
Lolade30:
hello everyone. This thread has been extremely helpful, thank you. Please Im 21 weeks and just about to start my application, i have a few
questions
1. the online application says i need an invite letter. Is there any way around that?
2. Can canadian hospitals do installment payment plan like US does or you have to have all the cash
3.Do i need an agent or can I just do this application myself
4.Anybody with experience in Manitoba? thats where id like to go
many thanks

1. No you don't. Book a hotel and you are good.
2. I doubt. You may be able to in some provinces but don't think you can in Manitoba (at least for Winnipeg area)
3. Agent what? Do it yourself!
4. Manitoba (winnipeg area) is a bit expensive compared to other provinces I hv heard abt here. There are only few hospitals for obs services in Manitoba and only 2 in winnipeg. It will cost about 7100$ for mother and child per day(4605 for mother, 24...something for baby) now they hv a policy where ur obgyn will hv to apply to the hosp on your behalf and when approved you hv to make a prepayment- 2 days for normal delivery and 3 days for CS. I guess one can get discharged after 1 day and get a refund. ..
Doctors' delivery and consultation fee is another one undecided

Last time it cost me about 1500 now I'm looking at 3500 for same doc as before o. The alternatives aren't looking cheaper so far...one is quoting 5k for delivery...

Then ultrasound is about 1077 per session at the hospital. Not yet sure if there are private places one can use for now.
Plan about 200 for tests. 400 ish for circumcision. Amd about 300 for paed consultation.

So my advise, unless you have family here, just go to one of the less restrictive areas.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2019
I wish I can like the ur comment 1 million times.

This ur write up confirms what I have been talking about since . This month a dr can charge say 1000 nd next month it is 3k, thus have more than enough money.

Please people if u have no cash to pay at ones, please remain in Nigeria so u do not spoil the show for others who can confortably afford it.

As you said, unless u have a place to stay nd feed for free, other provinces are very costly

mizGene:

2. I doubt. You may be able to in some provinces but don't think you can in Manitoba (at least for Winnipeg area)
4. Manitoba (winnipeg area) is a bit expensive compared to other provinces I hv heard abt here. There are only few hospitals for obs services in Manitoba and only 2 in winnipeg. It will cost about 7100$ for mother and child per day(4605 for mother, 24...something for baby) now they hv a policy where ur obgyn will hv to apply to the hosp on your behalf and when approved you hv to make a prepayment- 2 days for normal delivery and 3 days for CS. I guess one can get discharged after 1 day and get a refund. ..

Last time it cost me about 1500 now I'm looking at 3500 for same doc as before o. The alternatives aren't looking cheaper so far...one is quoting 5k for delivery...

Then ultrasound is about 1077 per session at the hospital. Not yet sure if there are private places one can use for now.
Plan about 200 for tests. 400 ish for circumcision. Amd about 300 for paed consultation.

So my advise, unless you have family here, just go to one of the less restrictive areas.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Lolade30: 2:56pm On Jan 16, 2019
mizgene

Thank you!

Could you please suggest other areas that are less restrictive and cheaper as well
Im planning to feed and accommodate myself cos ive had experiences with some dragon like family members abroad.
Thank you for your response, appreciate it!

mizGene:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Dee321: 4:00pm On Jan 16, 2019
Hotstepper:
To go bk to Naija. I understand that some people have to go bk to work but atleast give 3 weeks to make sure baby's docs r all ready

@hotstepper Happy Newyear and God bless your good work on this thread.I just had my baby and would like to get your contact for the canadian passport and emergency travel document from your contact in ottewa also
my husband applied for just the long birth certificate and left out the short,is this okay.my email address for the contact is damseldami@yahoo.com.your response will be really appreciated.Thanks
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:18pm On Jan 16, 2019
Toronto..GTA is the best option

Lolade30:
mizgene

Thank you!

Could you please suggest other areas that are less restrictive and cheaper as well
Im planning to feed and accommodate myself cos ive had experiences with some dragon like family members abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:20pm On Jan 16, 2019
Haopy New Year to u too and Congratulations

Is there any reason why u lwft out the short one? Canada passport u go through the procedure and naija u get VOA as discussed here many times

Dee321:

@hotstepper Happy Newyear and God bless your good work on this thread.I just had my baby and would like to get your contact for the canadian passport and emergency travel document from your contact in ottewa also
my husband applied for just the long birth certificate and left out the short,is this okay.my email address for the contact is damseldami@yahoo.com.your response will be really appreciated.Thanks
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by mizGene(f): 5:06pm On Jan 16, 2019
Lolade30:
mizgene

Thank you!

You can also try Edmonton, I think dts Alberta Province? I know someone who spent about 6k but that was in 2016. So best go witg Hotstepper's suggestion as it is more current

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Evagreenfields: 6:54pm On Jan 16, 2019
Dee321:

congrats on your baby and thank God for safe delivery.
could you please share your experience with us from start to this very point.

thNks
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Nonkala: 10:21pm On Jan 16, 2019
Nothing much, don’t know why dt form is up. Anyways I wore a letter to attach dt my daughter is going for vacation and not studies

Tks..
OmoBendel24:

I haven’t filled out a Canadian TRV application in a while, but I just have this hunch feeling that you didn’t do the correct thing with the questionnaire you answered, and that is why this custodian thing is coming up. The much I understand normally is that if one of the parent won’t be on the trip, then a consent letter to travel with the child will be required of that parent. Is the child in question of Canadian school age already? Just wondering sha....
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hopesprings: 10:46am On Jan 17, 2019
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by aye88: 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2019
Nonkala:
Nothing much, don’t know why dt form is up. Anyways I wore a letter to attach dt my daughter is going for vacation and not studies

Tks..

Have you submitted your form. If not , you can try and answer the questionnaire again. That's what determines which form they will ask you to fill.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by wintabotom: 5:41am On Jan 18, 2019
Am considering applying for Canada visa I was just rejected by the USA please wat was the time frame of your application and USA refusal. Mine was in January. Can I start applying for Canada by May?
Oleayo22:
I travelled at the week I did because US refused to grant me visa and so when canada came through, I did what was best for my child.
But iI would say that it's best not to travel with a toddler especially an active one except you are going with your spouse or mum. In my case, i travelled with my husband and both are going back pretty soon.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Oleayo22(f): 6:32am On Jan 18, 2019
wintabotom:
Am considering applying for Canada visa I was just rejected by the USA please wat was the time frame of your application and USA refusal. Mine was in January. Can I start applying for Canada by May?

Yes, you can. I did online application and started it in October. Visa was gotten 1st week in December.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 7:01am On Jan 18, 2019
On a more serious note, I will advise those who can and are sure they are most likely some good percentage sure of their qualification for the Canada TRV, to apply ASAP. Applications can be treated in 1, 2, 3 week(s) this period, but after now - say from April/May even as early as March - you might just be on a long thing. July/August has proved to be a no-go area over time, processing your application then can take up to between 3-6 months no joke. Be forewarned, be forearmed!

Also factor in the likelihood of a mad-rush happening too because of US visa rejections for both renewal (these lots have seriously turned to Canada and are actually the major reason the Canada Visit/Tourist Visa and Birthing threads have come alive and are somewhat beginning to boom) and those never granted before, and that loads of peeps are more interested in checking out of naija urgently this period, this second occurrence might change later in the year too - long after the elections. Regards y’all!

5 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by aye88: 10:30am On Jan 18, 2019
OmoBendel24:
On a more serious note, I will advise those who can and are sure they are most likely some good percentage sure of their qualification for the Canada TRV, to apply ASAP. Applications can be treated in 1, 2, 3 week(s) this period, but after now - say from April/May even as early as March - you might just be on a long thing. July/August has proved to be a no-go area over time, processing your application then can take up to between 3-6 months no joke. Be forewarned, be forearmed!

Also factor in the likelihood of a mad-rush happening too because of US visa rejections for both renewal (these lots have seriously turned to Canada and are actually the major reason the Canada Visa and birthing threads have come alive and are somewhat beginning to boom) and those never granted before, and that loads of peeps are more interested in checking out of naija urgently this period, this second occurrence might change later in the year too - long after the elections. Regards y’all!

Good point. Very apt. Whoever wants to apply for visa should do so now. Even if you are going to use it later.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by wintabotom: 11:34am On Jan 18, 2019
Please guys advise me I had taken a medical visa in 2017 visa expired in December last month. I had traveled to the USA twice after. I recently applied for an F1 visa and was denied the VO asked for my English proficiency test but I didn’t take it with me. After reading this thread one thing I noticed was that he looked at my hospital statement (0 balance) gave him and he didn’t have any issues with it but pointed out that he knows I don’t knw but hospitals that give this kind of bills do some things behind that I don’t know. I explained to him I paid 5k and shows the contract for sef pay. He sounded like it’s not my fault and he didn’t have a prob with it. He later ask for the English test which wasn’t with me and got upset due to that and denied my appli. It seemed I was almost getting the visa until the English test question came up. The VO added that you can come back for a b1 b2 but u don’t qualify for this visa.

Guys I want to apply to Canada for a visa just Incase I have a baby this year. I was denied in Dec and Jan . Do u think Canada wld give me knowing USA just denied me. I have 2 years Uk visa and about getting school admission to Ireland.. Please advise me should I apply next month to Canada or wait till I get the Ireland student visa .
aye88:

Good point. Very apt. Whoever wants to apply for visa should do so now. Even if you are going to use it later.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by folmus: 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2019
wintabotom:
Please guys advise me I had taken a medical visa in 2017 visa expired in December last month. I had traveled to the USA twice after. I recently applied for an F1 visa and was denied the VO asked for my English proficiency test but I didn’t take it with me. After reading this thread one thing I noticed was that he looked at my hospital statement (0 balance) gave him and he didn’t have any issues with it but pointed out that he knows I don’t knw but hospitals that give this kind of bills do some things behind that I don’t know. I explained to him I paid 5k and shows the contract for sef pay. He sounded like it’s not my fault and he didn’t have a prob with it. He later ask for the English test which wasn’t with me and got upset due to that and denied my appli. It seemed I was almost getting the visa until the English test question came up. The VO added that you can come back for a b1 b2 but u don’t qualify for this visa.

Guys I want to apply to Canada for a visa just Incase I have a baby this year. I was denied in Dec and Jan . [b]Do u think Canada wld give me knowing USA just denied me. [/b]I have 2 years Uk visa and about getting school admission to Ireland.. Please advise me should I apply next month to Canada or wait till I get the Ireland student visa .

Your Canada visa is independent of the US Visa. If you are qualified, you get it. However, you must be truthful in your application esp with your denial of visa with the US as they do share info. Your rejection doesn't have any effect on your Canadian application. Goodluck
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Lolade30: 5:48pm On Jan 18, 2019
Hello everyone!
Mizgene
Hotstepper

Please has anyone used a midwife? Maybe considered a home birth? (Trying to cut cost)

I've contacted a few and the price out of hospital is 3500 with all pre natal and post appointment plus birth which two midwives would attend. Is it worth being out of the hospital cos you eliminate that cost.

Of course if any complications show up, they move you to a hospital.

Anyone with this experience or any advice is welcome.

Merci beaucoup!

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by MamaOO: 4:16am On Jan 19, 2019
Lolade30:
Hello everyone!
Mizgene
Hotstepper

Please has anyone used a midwife? Maybe considered a home birth? (Trying to cut cost)

I've contacted a few and the price out of hospital is 3500 with all pre natal and post appointment plus birth which two midwives would attend. Is it worth being out of the hospital cos you eliminate that cost.

Merci beaucoup!
They move you to the hospital and you end up being treated as an emergency case. The cost you’re trying to cut will now become double if not triple. Not worth it, IMO

Why travel thousands of miles just to go and receive services from a midwife? This thread will soon turn into the US thread, pretty soon

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Egoj: 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2019
Hello Hotstepper!

Thanks for all your contributions on this thread.it has been of great help.
I arrived in Canada in December and had my baby in January.
I have started the documentation process for the birth certificate.
Meanwhile, is it compulsory to get an emergency travel certificate from the Nigerian high Commission when I can get Visa on Arrival.
Just to clarify this because someone told me it will be requested at the airport.
I cannot afford to stay extra one week after I get my baby's passport.

Please advice.
Thank you.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2019
Egoj:
Hello Hotstepper!

Meanwhile, is it compulsory to get an emergency travel certificate from the Nigerian high Commission when I can get Visa on Arrival.
Just to clarify this because someone told me it will be requested at the airport.

Please advice.
Thank you.

With VOA approved, you have no dealings with ETC....

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:08pm On Jan 19, 2019
u only need VOA thats all

Egoj:
Hello Hotstepper!

Please advice.
Thank you.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2019
Thisbis also my concern that alot of ppl who used to go to the US now coming to Canada will spoil everythibg now. Please use a dr nd not midwives. if u have no more to foot ur bills, remain in naija than spoiling things for other ppl now or in the future

MamaOO:

They move you to the hospital and you end up being treated as an emergency case. The cost you’re trying to cut will now become double if not triple. Not worth it, IMO

Why travel thousands of miles just to go and receive services from a midwife? This thread will soon turn into the US thread, pretty soon

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2019
find a dr

quote author=Lolade30 post=74890601]Hello everyone!
Mizgene
Hotstepper

Merci beaucoup![/quote]

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by MamaOO: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2019
Hotstepper:
Thisbis also my concern that alot of ppl who used to go to the US now coming to Canada will spoil everythibg now. Please use a dr nd not midwives. if u have no more to foot ur bills, remain in naija than spoiling things for other ppl now or in the future

I swear! It was so annoying the things Nigerians did to birth in the US. And if you say something, they’ll say you’re hating. A lot of the stunts people pull in the US and Canada, if people from other countries did it in Nigeria, WWIII will start.

Just because these countries allow you to birth freely and get citizenship doesn’t excuse some of the behaviors a lot of us exhibit. And like I always say, a visa is a privilege not a right. Thanks for all you do on this thread though, you’re an MVP! Lord knows it takes a lot of selflessness, patience and dedication

4 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Iamajoyfulmothe: 6:03pm On Jan 19, 2019
Does this apply to using a midwife at a hospital? Not for home birth.
I am a first time mother considering using midwife at a hospital as I have heard Fantastic reviews about the midwives in Canada. I've been told they are more patient, dedicate more time and are highly experienced. Hence I am considering this option as the thought of labour scares me to be honest. I need all the patience and care I can.get

I wouldn't consider any form of home birth though. So what d you think? Is using a midwife at a hospital also considered an abuse of Canadian visa? Please note that I don't mind the extra cost of possibly switching to a doctor at the hospital should things get complicated.

Hotstepper:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by purplerain1: 6:30pm On Jan 19, 2019
I want to us the medium to thank hotstepper for the clear up.
We that live in Canada and try to get accommodation for our pregnant mums find it tiring at times cos anytime we tell them how much accommodation is and how much they should budget for their trip,they make it seem something else and most times doubt lol.
Pls note that accommodation in Canada is NOT cheap,it is more expensive than in the US,also when you are making your conversion don't fail to note the CAD is lesser that the USD,so how can accomodation even be close in price?,also our utility bills and tax is way higher than what you get in the US also,finding a room for 1k including utility is regarded is indeed a favour ,you should budget 1k-1,700 depends on the kind of rooms,if it's a private suite or just a room with a bed.
Information is key and I like that it's dished out here constantly,pls let us take our time to read,read,read.
Thank you hotstepper for also throwing light on our doctors,doctors here don't really care if you pay cash or not,at the end of the day they get paid by the government lol,sometime in 2017,doctors protested for being overpaid ,they insist PSWs, RPNs and so on should have a raise.
Also pls note it is very difficult to accept women from 28weeks,it's is difficult begging these doctors and giving all sorts of excuse which we know are even lies,it is stressful,you mist also be referred by a family doctor,you can't skip that at all.
The kids part is a very serious issue,pls note that if you are coming with your kids,hubby,mum or anyone else,be prepared to pay an extra fee,no landlord will accept crowd in his house and pay all the utility,how now? or you can get an hotel room if possible.
If you are with kids alone pls make arrangements for nanny services(pls note that it is NOT cheap in this country,so pls reconsider or you may be lucky to find a free Nigerian grandma who won't mind taking a little token,cos when you go into labour and you take ur kids with you,there are chances your kids will be taken from you as you aren't for to take care of them (may this never happen in Jesus's name).
Pls note,any agent that charges 7,000 or less for accommodation, omugwo,transportation,airport pick up drop off isn't telling you the truth,pls budget from 7,500$-$12,000,things may come up,you may spend an extra day in the hospital and this also depends on the doc you find and how much he charges,including the hospital charge.
Thank you ladies.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (167) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.