Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? (20584 Views)

Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones / Any State Govt That Ignores Igbos Does So At The Risk Of Its Economy - Suswan / Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by citizenisb: 10:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
Just saw this on BBC WEATHER a huge rain loud system heading towards West Africa in a few days to weeks with the possibility of a HURRICANE over LAGOS. Please make adequate preparations for this extreme weather system.

To be fore warned is to be fore armed. Evacuate to higher grounds.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/20130523_hurricaneoutlook_atlantic.html

Three climate factors that strongly control Atlantic hurricane activity are expected to come together to produce an active or extremely active 2013 hurricane season. These are:

A continuation of the atmospheric climate pattern, which includes a strong west African monsoon, that is responsible for the ongoing era of high activity for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995;

Warmer-than-average water temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea; and

El Niño is not expected to develop and suppress hurricane formation.

4 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by dasparrow: 10:38pm On Jul 07, 2013
@Post

By God's grace, the hurricane will turn around before hitting the Lagos shore. Nairalanders, say Amen.

56 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by citizenisb: 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/03/us-climate-extremes-idUSBRE9620HF20130703

(Reuters) - The world suffered unprecedented climate extremes in the decade to 2010, from heatwaves in Europe and droughts in Australia to floods in Pakistan, against a backdrop of global warming, a United Nations report said on Wednesday.

Every year of the decade except 2008 was among the 10 warmest since records began in the 1850s, with 2010 the hottest, according to the study by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The number of daily heat records far outstripped lows.

It said many extremes could be explained by natural variations - freak storms and droughts have happened throughout history - but that rising emissions of man-made greenhouse gases also played a role.

"Rising concentrations of heat-trapping greenhouse gases are changing our climate, with far-reaching implications for our environment and our oceans, which are absorbing both carbon dioxide and heat," WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud said in a statement.

The study said damaging extremes included Hurricane Katrina in the United States in 2005, Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar in 2008, floods in Pakistan in 2010, droughts in the Amazon basin, Australia and East Africa and a retreat of Arctic sea ice.

Deaths from extreme events totaled 370,000 people, up 20 percent from the 1990s, the Geneva-based WMO said, though the world population also rose sharply over the period, from 5.3 billion in 1990 to 6.9 billion in 2010.
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by citizenisb: 11:24pm On Jul 07, 2013
It sounds like a joke but I can guarantee serious flooding in one or two weeks never seen before in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by bloggernaija: 1:30am On Jul 08, 2013
Serious bullshitas .most hurricanes form over the atlantic ,off africa and moves towards the atlantic coast of the USA .A. medium size Hurricane would almost completely destroy Lagos

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by fiscalcliff: 3:39am On Jul 08, 2013
An hurricane in Lagos is seriously pushing the believability of news
Extremely weather patterns globally yes but a hurricane
Op don't stretch your luck Jo!

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 08, 2013
fiscalcliff: An hurricane in Lagos is seriously pushing the believability of news
Extremely weather patterns globally yes but a hurricane
Op don't stretch your luck Jo!
If the data say so, my friend, better move!
@OP, thanks for d info.

8 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Omen100(m): 6:03am On Jul 08, 2013
cogitoErgo:
If the data say so, my friend, better move!
@OP, thanks for d info.

Like you have said, if the data says so, hmmmm, this is best time to apply for annual leave & move out totally far away from the coastal states.

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 08, 2013
Fat lie coming from the most foolish of all foolish nations Britain. Nothing is gonna happen my guys. Bleep Britain.

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by gbadexy(m): 8:14am On Jul 08, 2013
Op, you probably didn't fully comprehend the news or you probably just posted it anyways.
The winds that gradually grow bigger to form hurricanes start far off, in this case the western african monsoon moves northwards. Besides the movement has been observed since 1995 and we have never experienced a hurricane.
The winds move in a specific direction; the two trade winds affecting nigeria in geography readily comes to mind with the cool wet one from the atlantic and dry wind from sahara. They have their route and seasons.
The one mentioned on that article merely starts from west african monsoon and gathers speed as it travels towards america.
God doesn't give problems nations or group of people can't handle.

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:16am On Jul 08, 2013
Well, neva say neva.
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Tolexander: 8:30am On Jul 08, 2013
We will make a sacrifice to appease to the god of hurricane like we always do to the god of thunder!

Let me just grab this before being outsmarted, Sign of end time

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 08, 2013
EKO ATLANTIC FINNA GET SWEPT AWAY grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by buoye1(m): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2013
It wnt hppn
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2013
Some people are busy arguing instead of preparing for the worse. As i'm typing this now, i'm on my way to Cotonou. But wait oo, Cotonou has a large body of water too, right? ***Turns back and heads to Maiduguri***

29 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by dridowu: 10:05am On Jul 08, 2013
obadiah777: EKO ATLANTIC FINNA GET SWEPT AWAY grin grin
DAYUMMM

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by mike404(m): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2013
EKO ONI BAJE O grin

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by ITbomb(m): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2013
I just cant wait for it.
Opportunity for more construction jobs,
Let the destruction begins .
*Evil Grin*
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by WinkWrld: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Some people are busy arguing instead of preparing for the worse. As i'm typing this now, i'm on my way to Cotonou. But wait oo, Cotonou has a large body of water too, right? ***Turns back and heads to Maiduguri***

Lol, olodo. Go to yobe

4 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Afam4eva(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2013
ITbomb: I just cant wait for it.
Opportunity for more construction jobs,
Let the destruction begins .
*Evil Grin*
Just pray that you come out alive else you may continue your construction job digging the bottomless pit in hell. I heard satan pays his laborers very well.

16 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by mike404(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Some people are busy arguing instead of preparing for the worse. As i'm typing this now, i'm on my way to Cotonou. But wait oo, Cotonou has a large body of water too, right? ***Turns back and heads to Maiduguri***
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 08, 2013
dridowu: DAYUMMM
QUITE APTLY PUT SIRE tongue tongue grin
Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by abu12: 10:11am On Jul 08, 2013

nawa o you know even get plan to relocate go Aba or onistha haba bros.

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Afam4eva(m): 10:13am On Jul 08, 2013
abu12:

nawa o you know even get plan to relocate go Aba or onistha haba bros.
I'm heading to the Driest part of Nigeria and that is the north.

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 08, 2013
lol,maad man.

2 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 08, 2013
Noooo. Boko haram is still on the nation's mind. Cant afford another disaster.

1 Like

May God forbid! Hurriwetin? Make e no near us o cos our capacity to handle it is miniscule shocked

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by 190: 10:15am On Jul 08, 2013
Please let it happen

1 Like

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by gebest: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2013
wao this is a bad news and we reject it in Jesus name "amen"

2 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by dani1luv: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2013
190: Please let it happen

[size=13pt]Where's your sense?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Airforce1(m): 10:18am On Jul 08, 2013
Eko Atlantic is sitting on a time bomb

Eko don baje dis time around grin

3 Likes

Re: Risk Of Hurricane Affecting Lagos In A Few Weeks? by Olamyyde(m): 10:18am On Jul 08, 2013
God pls even if i die, let dis hurricane manage to hit the north and destroy all members of boko haram cry cry

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Returns Home To Mourn Late Mother / Justices Dimgba And Ademola Back To Their Seats. Preside Over Cases Against Dss / Ortom Gives Toyota Prado To First Class Chiefs In Benue (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.