Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Ramadan Journal For Muslims - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan Journal For Muslims (3012 Views)

Non-alcoholic Beer For Muslims, Is It Haram? / Is Beard-keeping A Tradition For Muslims? / 'Islam For Muslims' Library (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 10:04am On Jul 17, 2013
Sissie: Salam, I have seen calender by a group of muslim printed every year, it tells you the time of prayer in each states and tells you its pLus or minus few minutes, for each state.
Its not always accurate but its actually ok, and better than the time some imam call prayer.
Most people don't know how to tell the time of prayer using sun.
Even thou I won't realy on A calender its actually a starting point, for imam who loves calender and timetable.
@maclatunji in as much as I agree with you its not very different, its actually still a lil bit better.

I know the calendar you speak of and I have not seen a single mosque that relies on it for salat times. It is more like a fashion accessory for most mosques that do have it.

I venture to say that this is the case because the basic principle behind it (variation in timing of salat) is not understood by most. This is what needs to be taught and understood.

I salute the efforts of the calendar's publishers. However, it is not effective. Gradualism with things like this leads to confusion because it is like you hold back certain information from people at first. Later, when you try to update it, they will ask: "Why didn't you bring this up before? You are just a confusionist."
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by Sissie(f): 10:25am On Jul 17, 2013
Ohk, I get what you are saying but its not always easy correcting people, or telling them the right thing and they accept,
Some people are stuck in their ways.
And for most people you have to tell them gradually, about how they are wrong and all. Or else they stop you from coming to their mosque.
Some imams ehnnn, for smaller reasons won't even let you pray behind them oh. Its not as easy as we make it sound.
Them telling you why didn't you bring it up before means they even agreed with you, what if they didn't and told you if you are not ok with it don't come to their mosque?
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 11:11am On Jul 17, 2013
Sissie: Ohk, I get what you are saying but its not always easy correcting people, or telling them the right thing and they accept,
Some people are stuck in their ways.
And for most people you have to tell them gradually, about how they are wrong and all. Or else they stop you from coming to their mosque.
Some imams ehnnn, for smaller reasons won't even let you pray behind them oh. Its not as easy as we make it sound.
Them telling you why didn't you bring it up before means they even agreed with you, what if they didn't and told you if you are not ok with it don't come to their mosque?

What I am saying is this: Do not for any reason water-down your message. Let people know this is what you stand for and based on whether or not they are willing to interact positively with you, move forward from there.

For example, you are not going to say that because you don't want to be isolated, pray at 4pm on days where Asr starts at 4.15pm. These are matters of principle that you should not compromise on. On the days Asr starts at 3.45pm for example, feel free by all means to pray with the mosque at 4pm.

No one is perfect and you cannot change everyone, but whatever little facts you know with certainty, practice them with conviction.

This is my submission.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by siddiq202(m): 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
I almost missed sahur today. Didn't observe tahjud sad
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 12:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
siddiq202: I almost missed sahur today. Didn't observe tahjud sad

The fast is taking effect. It happens, I was woken up yesterday and today.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by tbaba1234: 12:45pm On Jul 17, 2013
Sometimes, we have to be tactful.

Imagine this scenario, (something similar has happened to me, not exact story )

You go to your family house in the village, all your uncles including your father go for isha at 8pm.

Isha is at 8.20.so you decide to stay at home till then. You tried telling them to delay but they refused to hear.

So they notice you come late. When you get home, they ask why? You tell them the time they pray is not correct. They get angry.

Do you think you know more than the people at the mosque?

This is strange

Do you think you are in america?

What makes you an expert, did you study islamic studies in the unversity?

You have two options

I. They argue and chastise about this everyday. They see you as disrespectful for even doing that.

Ii. You go with them, pray their isha with intention of nawafil then pray your isha after that.

I saw option 2 on islamqa for a similar question and it made sense.

It is hard to change people's ways. One of biggest obstacles to changing certain things about the ummah in Nigeria are people stuck in older traditions even when they are not islamic.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 1:42pm On Jul 17, 2013
^Yes, people might follow your second option. However, what hope do you have of ever correcting them in future? The next thing you will be told is: "Did you not offer the salat with us before?". You don't have to be confrontational, just stand your ground. In addition, you can actually make effort to buy clocks that have salat times feature, they are likely to listen to you if they see that the technology backs your claims.

That was what helped to kill the debate in my area. The so-called "stuck-in-their ways" elders can't get enough of the clock. #LOL

Note: I was not the one who introduced it.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by bntY: 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
Tbaba,soo true.I mean ur Parents line of argument.mine use d same too.I only get their audience if my 'talk' is in tandem wt their alfas's.After all na western education dem train me for while d supposed alfas are an authority in their chosen field,Islamic education that is.Sincerely a lot of Islamic problem in Nigeria will be solved if dis people speak d truth.e.g my father started dis year's fast on tuesday at d behest of his Imam.
@mac,you never see stubborn babas.I know of a mosque dt was built in a direction away from qibla.Not just tilted o,right off ni.We students in d area used to gather in d mosque for some knowledge circle when one of us noticed.we prompted d authority even makin reference to other mosques in d community.Alas! 'they' don't hav d power to take such decision,some other elders must delibrate on it,bla bla bla.Na so d matter die to d best of my knowledge...maybe some set of students wt maclatunji zest would hav successfully convinced them now.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 5:38pm On Jul 17, 2013
bntY: Tbaba,soo true.I mean ur Parents line of argument.mine use d same too.I only get their audience if my 'talk' is in tandem wt their alfas's.After all na western education dem train me for while d supposed alfas are an authority in their chosen field,Islamic education that is.Sincerely a lot of Islamic problem in Nigeria will be solved if dis people speak d truth.e.g my father started dis year's fast on tuesday at d behest of his Imam.
@mac,you never see stubborn babas.I know of a mosque dt was built in a direction away from qibla.Not just tilted o,right off ni.We students in d area used to gather in d mosque for some knowledge circle when one of us noticed.we prompted d authority even makin reference to other mosques in d community.Alas! 'they' don't hav d power to take such decision,some other elders must delibrate on it,bla bla bla.Na so d matter die to d best of my knowledge...maybe some set of students wt maclatunji zest would hav successfully convinced them now.

I have not said "stubborn babas" don't exist, all I have said is that you should not because of their stubbornness succumb to their "ignorance". I understand what you guys are saying but seriously, if you are not bold now, when will you ever be? Boldness does not mean fighting your parents or elders but simply stating respectfully by your words and actions: "I know my left from my right and what you are doing is wrong."

They will know and secretly respect or dislike you for it but by the time you compromise on virtually everything, the implication is that you lack substance and cannot be taken seriously even when you are right.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by bntY: 6:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
^ok Sir.I get ur drift.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2013
bntY: ^ok Sir.I get ur drift.

Thank you ma.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by Lagusta(m): 7:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
salaam.....

things haven't been well here, I closed 11pm yesterday, resumed 8am today, and I am still in the hospital!!!!

may Allah reward all of us fo the little ibaadat we do!!!

P.S: Plss when is the correct time for the subh prayer
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 10:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
^Visit http://www.islamicfinder.org/index.php?full_website=1 for your city's prayer times.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 12:15am On Jul 20, 2013
Today was ridiculously busy at work. Trying to keep things running whilst trying to gradually perform tasks related to other roles. A funny thing is happening to me, it is like the cold is making my muscles cramp up. Walking was a problem this evening.

This is something new to me, I will need to figure out remedies. I have received some advice and personally think Robb or similar ointments might help.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 11:18am On Jul 21, 2013
Anytime I try to recite the Quran, I get sleepy and have to stop.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by LagosShia: 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
maclatunji: Anytime I try to recite the Quran, I get sleepy and have to stop.

interesting.an issue worth pondering upon.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by snubish: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2013
^laffing, why would anyone want to ponder over dat?
anyways, this Ramadan and the cold sha. it's taking a lot of mental prep to perform ablution. thinking of keeping some warm water flask nearby at all times. I wonder how those guys in the west cope. I don't dig cold weather at all.
one chap called in sick after failing to show up at work on time. instantly I caught his scope, I was like 'sharp guy, Ramadan and cold weather no be easy combination'.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by snubish: 12:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
nice to be progressing into the 2nd third of Ramadan. after a stuttering lethargic start, I'm gradually getting into the tempo, hoping to peak in the final third. I prefer it this way as I always strive for a strong finish in everything inshallahu.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
^I am tired.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by snubish: 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
this Ramadan I've been listening to a radio station in
Oyo state: 99.1 amuludun fm. they are the only ones that transmit mostly Islamic programs around here. most these other stations are just carrying on with slamming music like they usually do. frankly the station is really trying to be fair, they at least always keep one conscious of being in Ramadan. however they transmit almost solely in yoruba, they bring in all these alfas with queer sounding names like 'eleshinmeta', 'akeujaiye', 'onilawani' etc. some of them are actually knowledgeable in spite of the names. and trust my people dem dey play 'islamic music' like mad. this is not nasheed o. I swear all sorts of Islamic music as in hip hop, Regan, Fuji, name it. see trips o.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by tbaba1234: 1:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
^ That is not 'Islamic'... the music, that is.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by snubish: 1:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
yeah I know, but you know us Yoruba people, we like enjoyment too much. maybe the coming generation will tone it down a bit.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by kunmibola(m): 7:55am On Jul 25, 2013
snubish: this Ramadan I've been listening to a radio station in
Oyo state: 99.1 amuludun fm. they are the only ones that transmit mostly Islamic programs around here. most these other stations are just carrying on with slamming music like they usually do. frankly the station is really trying to be fair, they at least always keep one conscious of being in Ramadan. however they transmit almost solely in yoruba, they bring in all these alfas with queer sounding names like 'eleshinmeta', 'akeujaiye', 'onilawani' etc. some of them are actually knowledgeable in spite of the names. and trust my people dem dey play 'islamic music' like mad. this is not nasheed o. I swear all sorts of Islamic music as in hip hop, Regan, Fuji, name it. see trips o.

Lol... Oyo state alfas do really have queer names. I am adding to the list;
- Ajagbemo keferi
-Akewula
-Akewugbagold was formally called Akewugberu
- Alfa onilawani
- Alfa oniwala
-Alfa Aworawo
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by Maisuya1: 5:26am On Jul 26, 2013
This hasn't been my best Ramadan , but I pray Allah helps me change that in this second half.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 8:54am On Jul 26, 2013
Mai-suya:
This hasn't been my best Ramadan , but I pray Allah helps me change that in this second half.

Same for me. A heavy schedule of varying duties already have me battered, add less sleep to that and it aint pretty.

I hate to admit it but some of my work benefits the community but I would love to be less burdened and have more time for myself.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by snubish: 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mai-suya:
thankfully, Ramadan is a full month and we can always make up for any lapses as we progress. may Allah accept our worship.
revs vehicle and shifts into fifth gear #last10
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 5:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
Going home, a long night awaits.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by Lagusta(m): 10:41pm On Jul 29, 2013
I'tikaaf Anyone
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 10:06am On Aug 01, 2013
I had some "different" kind of food over Iftar and Sahur. Now, my stomach is telling me different things because its chemical balance has been upset. I am presently at work and the motivation I have to achieve some things is just incredible. I just want certain results and my focus and desire for them is just intense!
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by onegig(m): 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2013
just checked my weight and suprised to see i have added extra pounds. Was weighing 70 kg at the start of the holy month now am 75 kg. Sure say i dey fast like this? And to tell you the fact. I didnt stock ur on food. Just the normal meals.
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by BetaThings: 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2013
onegig: just checked my weight and suprised to see i have added extra pounds. Was weighing 70 kg at the start of the holy month now am 75 kg. Sure say i dey fast like this? And to tell you the fact. I didnt stock ur on food. Just the normal meals.
Hahahah
Reminds me of what some people say about iftar
Some people make it feasting month
Not saying you do,
but seriously, sleeping immediately after a meal (eg sahur) does not help digestion
BTW maybe you can reduce intakke from onegig to 500mb
Re: Ramadan Journal For Muslims by maclatunji: 4:23am On Aug 06, 2013
It is very cold and I am so busy this Ramadan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If Yahweh And Allah Are The Same God / Is It Permissible For A Muslim To Wish A Christian A Merry Christmas? / Rules Guiding The Use Of Sutrah During Salat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.